Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1596288 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 266
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18885 on: October 12, 2019, 08:22:40 AM »
Southland Tales- Cannes Cut (2006)
Had seen Southland Tales once and only once when it was first released on DVD. Remember enjoying it due to it's extreme awfulness and nonsensical plot and that the villain had a blimp but not much else. Read an article about this cut that while not claiming it was a better movie claimed that it was more coherent. 
So while I don't remember enough to compare this cut to the version of the flick that was shown in theaters and released on DVD, the plot in this version was indeed easy to follow. But being easy to follow didn't mean that it wasn't still extremely dumb. Far more comedians and comic actors in it then I remember which just made the almost total lack of humor stand out even more than it should have stood out. The Rock was good throughout (and this was towards the beginning of his movie career) and seeing John Lovitz play straight was entertaining, but overall I can't recommend it. Before seeing this cut I probably (again, despite not remembering much about it) would have recommended Southland Tales as a movie entertaining in it's awfulness. This cut wasn't very entertaining, just awful. 

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 97
« Reply #18886 on: October 13, 2019, 09:46:35 PM »
This week I have some epic fantasy films to watch...…...And this..

Stormy Tempest: Fight For The Future ( 2013 )
Okay. Since I am determined to get through the AC Superhero films as quickly as possible, and this week's AC film  is 85 minutes long, and the nighttime movie is over two hours long, and there is also a new episode of SNL, the only alternative is to skip this weeks scheduled riffed movie and watch the AC film in it's place. The irony is skipping my weekly riffed film to watch a movie that deserves to be riffed, but isn't.

Like I said last week, this was supposed to have been a four chapter story, but was somehow combined into a single feature after the first 20 minute installment was released. Which means I am watching the same 20 minutes again this week.

It is an improvement over the past films. Which means director Bill Black was actually improving as a film maker. But it's still a bad movie. It definitely didn't need to be 85 minutes long. It appears that Bill Black wanted to release this film as a serial, and possibly did release it that way online. ( It appears that a now defunct website streamed the movies before they ended up on DVD. ) In that case dragging a story out for 85 minutes made a little sense. The old Hollywood serials did that all the time. Of course, they had better action, budget, acting, and a cliffhanger between each chapter.

The plot: once again Stormy Tempest travels back in time to stop time traveling aliens called the Gorla Monks from kidnapping Edward "The Chill" Karbunkle,  the first human to have the ability to be immune to psychic weapons. After a fight with the Monks,  Stormy loses her memories,  and after stumbling into The Chill's house and passing out, ends up becoming his girlfriend. Meanwhile The Chill's real girlfriend is on her way to his house wearing a Stormy Tempest costume. Ever since The Chill was rescued by Stormy in Perils in the Past, all he could do was talk about the beautiful cosplayer in a superhero costume that saved him. Hence his neglected girlfriend deciding to win back his affections by wearing a Stormy Tempest costume. But the Monks mistake the girlfriend for the real Stormy Tempest, and then in an act of stupidity, somehow give her the opportunity to steal a power source from them that gives her superhero powers. With her new powers and costume, the girlfriend decides to call herself Awesome Woman, then begins flying around Florida fighting crime and saving people from disasters. She ends up decimating half the Gorla Monk army, while Stormy, who regains her memories, decimates the rest of them.

Sounds thrilling, but the special effects are as cheap as possible, the acting is non existent, and the story is dragged out too long. This could have easily been a 40 minute film without loosing any of the story. Still, it is a lot better than the TopCat films that were padded out with extended shots, long unnecessary establishing shots, repeated footage, slowed down footage, drawn out animated segments that were little more than the camera panning over a few bad drawings, and the patented slowed down 15 minute ending credits. Brett Kelly TomCat films are 30 minutes of footage padded out to 60 minutes. The padding in a Bill Black AC film happens in the script. In this case, the extra sub plot of the girlfriend turning into Awesome Girl wasn't necessary. Although the girlfriend does walk in on The Chill and a naked Stormy at his house, causing her to storm off,  she is never in the same scene with those characters again after becoming  Awesome Girl. And as you guessed, a lot f the film is meant to be funny, but just isn't. But at least the film ( actually, still shot on video as the previous movies ) is not a torture to watch as were the TopCat films.

League of Gods  ( 2016 )
Now on to a fantasy film with a very decent budget. They reportedly spent about 300 million on this film, and it only earned about 43 million at the box office. Unlike the Stormy Tempest film, this earns its two hour running time by being jammed packed with plot. In fact, there was so much of a story here that the film just skips to the middle by having opening titles explaining  how an evil emperor has risen to power and plans to use black magic to rule the world. After that the film cuts to a team of ninja like mercenaries sneaking into the capital city to rescue a chief who has the ability to see the future, and is the only one capable of seeing how to defeat the emperor. From that moment on it is one spectacular visual effects driven scene after another. Unfortunately the story was so jammed packed that I could barely keep track of what was going on, and will need to re-watch this again at some point, perhaps in smaller 20 minute segments over the next few weeks. I eventually gave up and switched on the dumbed down English dub track, and even that was confusing. But the basic plot is the quest for a mythical sword which is the only weapon capable of defeating the half human-half dragon emperor. And how four heroes end up transformed into basically superheroes. Well worth watching for the effects, but the story is as inconceivable as that of Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones  ( 2013 )
Once again, another film Wikipedia insists falls into the superhero genre. BTW, Wikipedia recently changed their list again, removing all entries prior to the 70s with exception to the Adam West Batman film and the Superman film with the Molemen. So basically, the Lone Ranger and Zorro are no longer considered superheroes. ( They also removed the more recent Zorro and Lone Ranger films from the list. ) Also means The Wild World of Batwoman and Rat Phink A Boo Boo are no longer being considered superhero films.  And they also removed the Dick Tracy films. I never really thought Dick Tracy was a superhero, despite the Warren Betty film being so similar in style to Tim Burton's Batman.  Meanwhile, Condorman and Kiss Meets the Phantom is still on the list. So basically, Wikipedia can't make up it's mind as to what qualifies as a Superhero Film.  But for the time being, they are saying this film is a superhero film.

It's also another one of those films that was based on a young adult fantasy book series. And much like the ones I watched in the past, never made it past the first movie due to a poor box office. Although the studio hinted that they would cover the rest of the books in a  Mortal instruments television series. This time around I wasn't bummed out that there would be no sequel. It was actually a good film, but basically felt like a rehash of every single film in this category, right down to the love triangles ( one which takes an unexpected turn ).  And I just didn't grow to love the characters as I did in the other films. The plot is very familiar.  A teenage girl discovering she comes from a family of demon hunters, and that she is capable of powers. Which is why the demons are suddenly after her. Fortunately a hansom demon hunter shows up to rescue her, beginning a love triangle between her and her long time platonic boyfriend who has been trying to move out of the friend zone and into a real relationship. So basically film #1 introduces us to all the teen characters and the series villain, while the real action would have taken place in the next films once the origin story was out of the way.

And BTW, this is the theme this week. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones was suppose to lead to additional films, but didn't. League of Gods ends with the recovery of the mythical weapon and the main heroes obtaining their powers, but was supposed to continue in a sequel which so far is probably never going to happen. And Stormy Tempest: Fight For The Future was the beginning of a projected series of more films, complete with a cliff hanger. But unfortunately, those sequels were made, which I will have to watch next week.  Another note: this just barely qualifies as a superhero film, because it features hero characters who gain super powers even though they don't wear costumes. I am willing to buy these films to complete my superhero movie collection because I don't mind having a few action fantasy films, and because they are usually about $5 on Amazon. But I was so sure this was going to be the film with the cities mounted on giant trucks that attack each other that I was actually looking forward to it, only to find out it was a different movie with a very similar title.  ( That movie was Mortal Engines )
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 09:50:48 PM by stethacantus »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 600
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #18887 on: October 13, 2019, 10:42:50 PM »
Memory: The Origin of Alien - It's... kind of interesting... but in a lot of ways it's a lot like any other documentary. There's nothing really all that ground-breaking here. The opening is kind of... weird? Almost interesting? There's some great history about how some of the concepts for the Xenomorph came about. I don't think this is exactly essential to the Alien experience. 

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18888 on: October 18, 2019, 08:57:50 PM »
Weinkles the Clown (2019)
Pseudo documentary. Previews claim it's a documentary about a clown for hire in Florida that parents can hire to scare their kids. Wife really wanted to see it based on preview.
Meh.
If it delivered on the premise and the preview it probably would have been better. Instead it serves up a swerve that totally killed what was my mild interest in the story to begin with.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18889 on: October 20, 2019, 10:44:42 AM »
Parasite (2019)
Korean drama w/subtitles.
Knew the director (The Host and Snowpiercer) and star and that it got very good reviews and not much else going into it. And that would be my recommendation for anyone who wants to see it. First hour is kind of slow moving but sets up the twists and turns that kick in in the second hours. Easily tops my list of best movie of 2019. I credit the director as some of the twists could have been really terrible if done by a lot of others (and I would expect awfulness if this ever gets remade by another director in English).

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 759
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #18890 on: October 20, 2019, 03:08:37 PM »
The Lion King, "live action".

Not a great movie, but better than I was expecting. The best bits were where the movie becomes self aware.

Timon "You've grown like 400 pounds since we started singing."

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 97
« Reply #18891 on: October 20, 2019, 10:48:00 PM »
This week we go retro.  That's right. All the way back to the year 2017. Donald Trump was the president. The music of Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran played everywhere. Television viewers watched This Is Us, Grey's Anatomy and Law & Order, SVU. And the Marvel Cinematic Universe dominated theaters. So why have I chosen the film's of 2017 this week ? Purely unintentionally. Just noticed both were from the same year when I began writing this. So let's go all the way back to 2017, when Matt Lauer thought he would be spending the year celebrating his 20th Anniversary at the Today Show.

The Villainess ( 2017 )
Here is a film that won numerous festival awards, was certified fresh by Rotten Tomatoes, and received a 4 minute standing ovation when it was screened at Cannes. But the reason I got it was the girl on the front of the box looked hot.
Because I had previously bought a lot of modern martial arts films, whenever I buy something on Amazon a bunch of "suggestions" pop up on the screen. Pictures of the DVDs Amazon is so sure I also want to buy as a reminder they have it. Along with other Asian action films, The Villainess popped up regularly. Each time with a sexy picture of a girl from her back side. Eventually the DVD box won me over, and I added The Villainess to my list of films to buy.

The Villainess is a groundbreaking action film, but the action itself is not what is groundbreaking, but rather how that action is shot. By using handheld cameras and small steady cams, director Jung Byung-Gil had the action filmed close up. For example, in a car chase the camera goes from next to the outside the car, then through the door window and into the car itself, then follows a character through a broken windshield and onto the hood. Many of the shots you would assume could only be achieved by CGI, but were achieved by cleaver editing between different cameras, and a lot of stuff shot using safety ropes that were removed digitally in post production. The film opens with a very stunting sequence where the heroine does a direct attack against a building full of gangsters which is entirely shown by her point of view where you can only see her arms, as when she is holding a gun in front of her, or when she pulls out her knives. It is something you may recognize from video games like Goldeneye or Doom, but looks spectacular when done in a live action film.

The plot is very derivative  of previous films, most notably Black Cat, which in turn was derivative of La Fem Nakita.  A girl is arrested after attacking  and slaughtering an entire drug gang and their drug lord in their lair. She finds herself in the custody of a spy agency that wants to train her to be one of their agents. ( It is suggested most if not all of the female trainees at the spy academy are criminals being forced to become spies against their wills, promised to be allowed their freedom if they complete their training and agree to be sleeper agents for a ten year period. ) In flashbacks it is revealed girl was formerly trained by another agency, quite possibly criminal. Also revealed in the flashbacks, her long standing vengeance against the criminals who murdered her father, and exactly why she single handedly assaulted the drug gang in the beginning of the film. There is also a lot of plot twists which I will not spoil here. But never the less, the plot is very familiar, even if a few twists are legitimately unexpected. This is basically a formula action film done very well and shot in a way never seen before. Perhaps well worth the accolades, but once this style of film making is copied and becomes the norm, I doubt it will age that well. Sill, very thrilling to watch this year.

Bleeding Steel ( 2017 )
When Wikipedia added this film to their superhero movie list, it was a no brainier that I would get it. I would have gotten it anyway just because it's a Jackie Chan film. But there is a couple of problems. One, that despite much of the film being in English, it is not an American film, even though Lions Gate has claimed it as one of their Premier Films. The other, it doesn't resemble a superhero film outside of the bad guys ship being a rip-off of a S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier.  The film has a very dark beginning. Chan is a police chief rushing to his daughter's hospital on her birthday because the doctor has called him to say she is dying an has not long to live.  On the way there he gets another call, that a high profile person in witness protection has been compromised and must be secured and taken to a safe place. Since the person being protected is a scientist who has a very important piece of technology, Chan has little choice but  to abandon his daughter and assist with the rescue. Once there, Chan and an entire squadron of police are attacked by an army wearing armor that makes them impervious to bullets, and heir leader who is not only bullet proof, but has super human strength.  The entire police squadron is decimated with exception to Chan who seemingly sacrifices his own life to kill the indestructible man by driving a car into him and crashing into a tanker of gas. The explosion knocks Chan clear, but he seemingly dies on the ground while the scene cross cuts to his daughter dying in the hospital.

Well, after that unpleasant beginning, the film cuts to thirteen years later I Australia to find Chan is still alive, and so is his daughter? A popular novelist has just written a novel called "Bleeding Steel" about a cyborg warrior with a mechanical heart. At his home, he is attacked by a gang consisting of an army wearing the same indestructible armor from the beginning of the film, only this time armed with Star Wars style blasters, and lead by a woman warrior who uses knives with laser tips. The rest of the film explains why Chan and his daughter are still alive, why they are in living in Australia, why the bad guys want to kill the author of Bleeding Steel and track down the source of the story for his novel, and why a hacker is stalking Chan's daughter, all which ends on a helicarrier which is the bad guy's base, and a bunch of spoilers.

Unfortunately, at his age Chan is no longer giving us the action scenes or fights we are use to from his past films, and is seemingly content with action scenes achieved with CGI and  trick photography, fancy editing, lots of safety harnesses removed in post, and the occasional stunt double.  However, he does do a brief fight scene on the roof of the Sydney Opera House which concludes with him sliding off the top and onto an umbrella, then jumping onto the back of a moving boat, although I am not sure how much of this was done with Jackie and how much was a stunt double. I could have sworn Jackie was on the Sydney Opera House roof in a couple of past films, but couldn't find any evidence of it without re-watching all of his films. This is probably another example of the Mandela Effect.  Without the usual death defying stunt work by Jackie and his stunt team from his previous films, the action is a bit lackluster. It is an interesting sci-fi action film, but Chan has raised the bar so high on action that this is very much a let down. However, I guess we should be glad he is still doing films at all and has not retired as he had planned to do back in the late 80s. But this is the sort of film he once said he would never make, and had chastised younger generations of Chinese action stars for doing.

NO, this is not a Superhero film. There are some super powered villains, but they fall more into the category of monsters. It did come close though. One of the heroes goes through a transformation at the end of the film which results in a burst of super strength, which that person uses to jump through a glass window and knock over a villain. But then that person never uses any powers ever again in the entire film. It was almost an origin story, if only that person received permanent super powers. I have no idea why someone thought this counted as a superhero film.

Something that is missing from this film is a gag reel during the ending credits. Even if there were no spectacular accidents during filming, you would think there were at lest some blown lines, as per the gag reels on the Rush Hour films. Another strange thing is that the closing credits list a closing credit song that is not heard over the closing credits? The song, called "Jackie Chan New song", is actually an updated version of The Hero Story, which was the theme song for the first Police Story film. It was definitely recorded for the film. A music video for it exists on YouTube with Chan in the studio singing it intercut with footage from Bleeding Steel. I have no idea why it was removed and replaced with music from the movie, or why after it's removal it was still listed in the credits. I suspect Lion's Gate were the ones who removed it, possibly for licensing reasons, and it probably exists on the Chinese territory release of this film, possibly with a gag reel?

Stormy Tempest Unmasked ( 2012 )
Well, I hate to break up this 2017 fest, but here is a film from way back in 2012. I had tried to watch the AC superhero films in chronological order via release date, but somehow accidentally watched this one this week. I had assumed it was a continuation from last week's film, as that one ended with the sudden appearance of  a bounty hunter called Clayton the Sleeper who kidnaps Stormy. But while watching this weeks film, I noticed what appeared to be a blatant lack of continuity.  Last week's film had Stormy trapped on Earth after her ship was blown up when Clayton shows up at the door of the house she is staying in and knocks her out with sleeping gas. This week's film opens with Stormy on her ship when Clayton tracks her down. I checked out the copyrights, and sure enough, this film was supposed to have been watched before Fight For The Future. It is actually decent, plot wise. Stormy's ship is under repair from a previous battle when Clayton uses a computer virus to take over her ship's computer and use it to knock her out.  Since her ship has a hull impervious to tractor beams, he uses her ship's computer to use her ship's tractor beam to beam her onto a nearby planet's surface so he can capture her. What follows is a game of cat and mouse between Stormy and the bounty hunter with each one taking turns outsmarting each other. This could have been a very decent film, if not for the laughable CGI animals, and the cosplayers Bill Black hired instead of real actors.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 10:52:02 PM by stethacantus »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3231
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18892 on: October 20, 2019, 11:01:53 PM »
The tyke wanted to see Ghostbusters, we decided he's emotionally ready for it, and a torch has been passed.

He loved it. I continue to love it. It's such a perfect movie that nobody ever notices that the third act is a bit of a mess. There's a bit of uncertainty as what Stay Puft is vs. Gozer, and where everything is happening in relation to everything else, and the resolution is just, "Hey remember that thing I told us never to do earlier? Let's do that, but somehow it works in our favor!"

Not trashing the movie, though. The dialogue and character work and comedy and awesome high-concept sci-fi/fantasy all work so well that every single flaw is totally forgiven.

Offline F-Zero

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 107
« Reply #18893 on: October 21, 2019, 11:12:26 PM »
This week we go retro.  That's right. All the way back to the year 2017. Donald Trump was the president. The music of Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran played everywhere. Television viewers watched This Is Us, Grey's Anatomy and Law & Order, SVU. And the Marvel Cinematic Universe dominated theaters. So why have I chosen the film's of 2017 this week ? Purely unintentionally. Just noticed both were from the same year when I began writing this. So let's go all the way back to 2017, when Matt Lauer thought he would be spending the year celebrating his 20th Anniversary at the Today Show.

The Villainess ( 2017 )
Here is a film that won numerous festival awards, was certified fresh by Rotten Tomatoes, and received a 4 minute standing ovation when it was screened at Cannes. But the reason I got it was the girl on the front of the box looked hot.
Because I had previously bought a lot of modern martial arts films, whenever I buy something on Amazon a bunch of "suggestions" pop up on the screen. Pictures of the DVDs Amazon is so sure I also want to buy as a reminder they have it. Along with other Asian action films, The Villainess popped up regularly. Each time with a sexy picture of a girl from her back side. Eventually the DVD box won me over, and I added The Villainess to my list of films to buy.

The Villainess is a groundbreaking action film, but the action itself is not what is groundbreaking, but rather how that action is shot. By using handheld cameras and small steady cams, director Jung Byung-Gil had the action filmed close up. For example, in a car chase the camera goes from next to the outside the car, then through the door window and into the car itself, then follows a character through a broken windshield and onto the hood. Many of the shots you would assume could only be achieved by CGI, but were achieved by cleaver editing between different cameras, and a lot of stuff shot using safety ropes that were removed digitally in post production. The film opens with a very stunting sequence where the heroine does a direct attack against a building full of gangsters which is entirely shown by her point of view where you can only see her arms, as when she is holding a gun in front of her, or when she pulls out her knives. It is something you may recognize from video games like Goldeneye or Doom, but looks spectacular when done in a live action film.

The plot is very derivative  of previous films, most notably Black Cat, which in turn was derivative of La Fem Nakita.  A girl is arrested after attacking  and slaughtering an entire drug gang and their drug lord in their lair. She finds herself in the custody of a spy agency that wants to train her to be one of their agents. ( It is suggested most if not all of the female trainees at the spy academy are criminals being forced to become spies against their wills, promised to be allowed their freedom if they complete their training and agree to be sleeper agents for a ten year period. ) In flashbacks it is revealed girl was formerly trained by another agency, quite possibly criminal. Also revealed in the flashbacks, her long standing vengeance against the criminals who murdered her father, and exactly why she single handedly assaulted the drug gang in the beginning of the film. There is also a lot of plot twists which I will not spoil here. But never the less, the plot is very familiar, even if a few twists are legitimately unexpected. This is basically a formula action film done very well and shot in a way never seen before. Perhaps well worth the accolades, but once this style of film making is copied and becomes the norm, I doubt it will age that well. Sill, very thrilling to watch this year.

Bleeding Steel ( 2017 )
When Wikipedia added this film to their superhero movie list, it was a no brainier that I would get it. I would have gotten it anyway just because it's a Jackie Chan film. But there is a couple of problems. One, that despite much of the film being in English, it is not an American film, even though Lions Gate has claimed it as one of their Premier Films. The other, it doesn't resemble a superhero film outside of the bad guys ship being a rip-off of a S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier.  The film has a very dark beginning. Chan is a police chief rushing to his daughter's hospital on her birthday because the doctor has called him to say she is dying an has not long to live.  On the way there he gets another call, that a high profile person in witness protection has been compromised and must be secured and taken to a safe place. Since the person being protected is a scientist who has a very important piece of technology, Chan has little choice but  to abandon his daughter and assist with the rescue. Once there, Chan and an entire squadron of police are attacked by an army wearing armor that makes them impervious to bullets, and heir leader who is not only bullet proof, but has super human strength.  The entire police squadron is decimated with exception to Chan who seemingly sacrifices his own life to kill the indestructible man by driving a car into him and crashing into a tanker of gas. The explosion knocks Chan clear, but he seemingly dies on the ground while the scene cross cuts to his daughter dying in the hospital.

Well, after that unpleasant beginning, the film cuts to thirteen years later I Australia to find Chan is still alive, and so is his daughter? A popular novelist has just written a novel called "Bleeding Steel" about a cyborg warrior with a mechanical heart. At his home, he is attacked by a gang consisting of an army wearing the same indestructible armor from the beginning of the film, only this time armed with Star Wars style blasters, and lead by a woman warrior who uses knives with laser tips. The rest of the film explains why Chan and his daughter are still alive, why they are in living in Australia, why the bad guys want to kill the author of Bleeding Steel and track down the source of the story for his novel, and why a hacker is stalking Chan's daughter, all which ends on a helicarrier which is the bad guy's base, and a bunch of spoilers.

Unfortunately, at his age Chan is no longer giving us the action scenes or fights we are use to from his past films, and is seemingly content with action scenes achieved with CGI and  trick photography, fancy editing, lots of safety harnesses removed in post, and the occasional stunt double.  However, he does do a brief fight scene on the roof of the Sydney Opera House which concludes with him sliding off the top and onto an umbrella, then jumping onto the back of a moving boat, although I am not sure how much of this was done with Jackie and how much was a stunt double. I could have sworn Jackie was on the Sydney Opera House roof in a couple of past films, but couldn't find any evidence of it without re-watching all of his films. This is probably another example of the Mandela Effect.  Without the usual death defying stunt work by Jackie and his stunt team from his previous films, the action is a bit lackluster. It is an interesting sci-fi action film, but Chan has raised the bar so high on action that this is very much a let down. However, I guess we should be glad he is still doing films at all and has not retired as he had planned to do back in the late 80s. But this is the sort of film he once said he would never make, and had chastised younger generations of Chinese action stars for doing.

NO, this is not a Superhero film. There are some super powered villains, but they fall more into the category of monsters. It did come close though. One of the heroes goes through a transformation at the end of the film which results in a burst of super strength, which that person uses to jump through a glass window and knock over a villain. But then that person never uses any powers ever again in the entire film. It was almost an origin story, if only that person received permanent super powers. I have no idea why someone thought this counted as a superhero film.

Something that is missing from this film is a gag reel during the ending credits. Even if there were no spectacular accidents during filming, you would think there were at lest some blown lines, as per the gag reels on the Rush Hour films. Another strange thing is that the closing credits list a closing credit song that is not heard over the closing credits? The song, called "Jackie Chan New song", is actually an updated version of The Hero Story, which was the theme song for the first Police Story film. It was definitely recorded for the film. A music video for it exists on YouTube with Chan in the studio singing it intercut with footage from Bleeding Steel. I have no idea why it was removed and replaced with music from the movie, or why after it's removal it was still listed in the credits. I suspect Lion's Gate were the ones who removed it, possibly for licensing reasons, and it probably exists on the Chinese territory release of this film, possibly with a gag reel?

Stormy Tempest Unmasked ( 2012 )
Well, I hate to break up this 2017 fest, but here is a film from way back in 2012. I had tried to watch the AC superhero films in chronological order via release date, but somehow accidentally watched this one this week. I had assumed it was a continuation from last week's film, as that one ended with the sudden appearance of  a bounty hunter called Clayton the Sleeper who kidnaps Stormy. But while watching this weeks film, I noticed what appeared to be a blatant lack of continuity.  Last week's film had Stormy trapped on Earth after her ship was blown up when Clayton shows up at the door of the house she is staying in and knocks her out with sleeping gas. This week's film opens with Stormy on her ship when Clayton tracks her down. I checked out the copyrights, and sure enough, this film was supposed to have been watched before Fight For The Future. It is actually decent, plot wise. Stormy's ship is under repair from a previous battle when Clayton uses a computer virus to take over her ship's computer and use it to knock her out.  Since her ship has a hull impervious to tractor beams, he uses her ship's computer to use her ship's tractor beam to beam her onto a nearby planet's surface so he can capture her. What follows is a game of cat and mouse between Stormy and the bounty hunter with each one taking turns outsmarting each other. This could have been a very decent film, if not for the laughable CGI animals, and the cosplayers Bill Black hired instead of real actors.

The Villainness looks cooooolllll.

Offline F-Zero

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #18894 on: October 21, 2019, 11:15:44 PM »
El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

Thumbs up, if trite.  Great cameo that will electrify fans of the series.

Offline F-Zero

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #18895 on: October 24, 2019, 05:16:53 AM »
The Pirates of Penzance

Kevin Kline and Linda Ronstadt!  Gilbert & Sullivan with subtitles!  Doesn't get better than that. 

..or does it?

The Pirate Movie

Yecch.  Although it's nice seeing 70s sex goddess Kristy McNichol in her prime.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fdlKXRReqNA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fdlKXRReqNA</a>

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5919
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18896 on: October 24, 2019, 07:29:37 AM »
I watched Shaolin Soccer for the first time in many years. It's still really fun. The looney tunes tone helps the cheap CGI fit in a little better. This isn't as well of a written movie as Kung Fu Hustle, though. The other brothers have virtually no personality. And they go from incompetent soccer players to being perfect in the blink of an eye. I will say that I like the love story between him and the girl much better in this than in Kung Fu Hustle.

I wish Stephen Chow would make more movies like these.
Has anyone else seen his latest The Mermaid? Is it any good?

Offline F-Zero

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #18897 on: October 24, 2019, 09:15:17 AM »
I watched Shaolin Soccer for the first time in many years. It's still really fun. The looney tunes tone helps the cheap CGI fit in a little better. This isn't as well of a written movie as Kung Fu Hustle, though. The other brothers have virtually no personality. And they go from incompetent soccer players to being perfect in the blink of an eye. I will say that I like the love story between him and the girl much better in this than in Kung Fu Hustle.

I wish Stephen Chow would make more movies like these.
Has anyone else seen his latest The Mermaid? Is it any good?

No.  It's really not. Unfortunately nothing he's done since Hustle has been as good.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18898 on: October 25, 2019, 06:43:18 PM »
Dolemite Is My Name (2019) - Netflix Original
Docu-drama starring Eddie Murphy as Rudy Ray Moore that basically tells the story of the making of Dolemite (1975).
Not as funny as I would have expected but entertaining. Not great but was never bored.

Offline F-Zero

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #18899 on: October 26, 2019, 11:31:55 AM »
Dolemite Is My Name (2019) - Netflix Original
Docu-drama starring Eddie Murphy as Rudy Ray Moore that basically tells the story of the making of Dolemite (1975).
Not as funny as I would have expected but entertaining. Not great but was never bored.

I got that strapped up.  Looking forward to it.