Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1732113 times)

Variety of Cells and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 185
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18840 on: September 21, 2019, 09:29:26 PM »
49th Parallel

This is my first Powell/Pressberger film and it's pretty good.  Its a propaganda piece trying to show why North America should be concerned with World War II  and manages to be watchable and enjoyable throughout.  It reminds me of an EC Comics story played long and in five parts: there aren't a lot of "snap endings" but there is a sense of karma in the universe and each episodic section ends with a bad guy (and one guy who wants to become a good guy) getting caught or killed.  The premise is that 6 Nazi soldiers have infiltrated Canada and are wandering through the country in an attempt to get to the U.S. for a symbolic foothold.  As they travel through, they are confronted and confounded by the country's basic human decency (like Laurence Olivier with an OUTRAGEOUS FRENCH ACCENT!), resistence to tyranny and prejudice (though the latter, while commented on, feels soft-pedaled, as the few non-whites in the film barely get to be characters) and religiousness (strangely, in this world, the Nazis "worship" Hitler and are deeply confused by actual Christianity.  Like, they act like the religion is a completely foreign concept, which is a weird choice.) My favourite section is in the middle when one of the soldiers, while staying in a Hutterite community, tries to break free of his army.  The last scene is a lot of fun as well, though strangely lighter than everything that happens in between.

Methinks you're making it sound way more interesting than it really is.  Sounds like fodder for a remake.  I wonder?

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #18841 on: September 21, 2019, 09:36:16 PM »
Billy Elliot

The british kid who learns ballet.  It's good.

Yah I cried, again.  I'm such a sucker for emotional movies and I'm incredibly easy to hypnotize btw.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #18842 on: September 22, 2019, 05:12:33 AM »
Between Two Ferns

I liked it!  It’s not like an amazing movie, and the loose plot is only there as s vehicle for the jokes, but those jokes were consistently funny. Well, except the Will Ferrel scenes.  Quite a lot of it had me laughing out loud though.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3325
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18843 on: September 22, 2019, 05:40:34 PM »
49th Parallel

This is my first Powell/Pressberger film and it's pretty good.  Its a propaganda piece trying to show why North America should be concerned with World War II  and manages to be watchable and enjoyable throughout.  It reminds me of an EC Comics story played long and in five parts: there aren't a lot of "snap endings" but there is a sense of karma in the universe and each episodic section ends with a bad guy (and one guy who wants to become a good guy) getting caught or killed.  The premise is that 6 Nazi soldiers have infiltrated Canada and are wandering through the country in an attempt to get to the U.S. for a symbolic foothold.  As they travel through, they are confronted and confounded by the country's basic human decency (like Laurence Olivier with an OUTRAGEOUS FRENCH ACCENT!), resistence to tyranny and prejudice (though the latter, while commented on, feels soft-pedaled, as the few non-whites in the film barely get to be characters) and religiousness (strangely, in this world, the Nazis "worship" Hitler and are deeply confused by actual Christianity.  Like, they act like the religion is a completely foreign concept, which is a weird choice.) My favourite section is in the middle when one of the soldiers, while staying in a Hutterite community, tries to break free of his army.  The last scene is a lot of fun as well, though strangely lighter than everything that happens in between.

Powell & Pressburger are my favourites, although I haven't seen 49th Parallel.

The Red Shoes, The Life and Death of Col Blimp and Black Narcissus are three of my all time favourite films. Jump on those as soon as possible!
FINE

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 222
« Reply #18844 on: September 23, 2019, 12:04:51 AM »
Police Story ( 1985 )
My first attempt at a martial arts film collection was with VHS tapes back around 1989. It began with FOX Video's repricing of their Bruce Lee box set; four of his Golden Harvest films where when you put the tapes side by side it would form the image of a dragon. This followed by Warner Bros Home Video's repricing of Enter The Dragon, and MGM's release of Marlow with Lee prominently on the front and back of the box, despite only being in a couple of scenes that together were less than eight minutes of screen time.  After that there was nothing left but Bruceploitation films, many which were released cheaply via Good Times Home Video. So I expanded my collection to other films, mostly the Shaw Brothers films only available as bootlegged videos in clamshell boxes. The only book available at the time on martial arts films, or any Hong Kong films, was Ric Meyers Martial Arts movies: From Bruce Lee to the Ninjas which only went as far as 1984. It had an entire chapter on Jackie Chan, which ended with Project A as his latest film. I had seen a couple of Jackie's films before on television, and with the book calling him the successor to Bruce Lee, was eager to begin collecting his films as well. Unfortunately his classics, like Drunken Master and Project A, had not been released on video in the United States, and most likely were never even given a general release in theaters. Eagle's Shadow was released on video, but by that time the company that released it was no longer in business, and all the tapes were long out of print. A company called All Seasons Films got the rights to a bunch of his Lo Wei studio films, many which were low budget garbage, but did include semi classics like Fearless Hyena and Half a Loaf of Kung Fu made when the studio finally gave Jackie creative control of his films. Actually, All Seasons had also gone out of business, but this time another company had bought the rights to most of their Jackie Chan library while the company was being liquidated, and re-released them as cheap $5 SLP budget videos to stores like Woolworths. It seemed as if I could never get my hands on a quality Jackie Chan movie outside of buying bootlegs. Then one day I was walking past a store on Canal Street that sold a lot of videos by companies that had gone bankrupt. It had a number of still factory sealed copies of something called Jackie Chan's Police Force, which was another film I had never heard of before. Even if Ric Meyer's book had mentioned Police Story, it would not have mentioned this changed for video alternative title. It was released by Cinema Group Home Video, a company I later learned had exclusive rights to release the post 1980 Golden Harvest films in North America on home video, but had unfortunately gone belly up after only releasing a few Golden Harvest films, leaving the North American rights to the rest in limbo for another decade. I was unfamiliar with the company ( it only sold directly to rental shops via mail order and not to retail stores, as most 80s video companies did ) and unfamiliar with the film, and had to assume it was more garbage. But it was Jackie Chan, so I bought it.

I was pleasantly surprised how good it was, little realizing how Police Story is considered one of Jackie Chan's greatest films. It wasn't until the 90s, after  Rumble in the Bronx was released in the United States, that more books on Hong Kong cinema were released, and I learned of Jackie's other triumphs after Project A, and that this film was Police Story. By this time Jackie Chan had his duel deal with Dimensions/Miramax and New Line Cinema to rerelease his films in the United States in theaters and directly to home video, with him dubbing in his own voice. Part of the deal had him making brand new movies for both companies. His films were finally being made available for home video in the U.S., but at a cost. Both Miramax and New Line insisted on editing the films shorter, and rescoring them usually with pop songs they wanted to sell on soundtrack albums. You couldn't get the original versions of these films in the United States. Even when Criterion released Super Cop, they were forced to release the edited Dimensions version, although including what Dimensions deleted as extras. But even when Dragon Dynasty re-released the Chan films, they insisted on using the American edits. This was a shame in particular for Police Story. Not that New Line edited anything out of it for the direct to home video release, because they didn't edit much. But because they deliberately removed the best gag in the film. Or, at least changed the line to something else in the dubbing.  The line is "I didn't see anything." which I won't say what part of the film it comes from, since it will ruin the gag. But at the time New Line was co-producing Mr. Nice Guy, and decided to end that film with the same gag, so removed it from their release of Police Story. Sadly, in Mr. Nice Guy the line isn't as funny, because it is not as unexpectant as it was in Police Story. The New Line edit was used for the Dragon Dynasty release, as well as the recent Shout Factory release. Until this past year when Dragon Dynasty finally released the uncut Hong Kong version, and was even able to track down the original English Dub track. So. now I have the movie on VHS, Laserdisc and the new Criterion Blu-ray. Good thing I passed on buying the Dragon Dynasty version.

Oh, and the film? A masterpiece of action cinema.

The Wolverine Unleashed Extended Edition ( 2013 )
Not exactly a masterpiece of action cinema was The Wolverine, part of the X-Men franchise. So basically,  20th Century Fox decided that their X-Men franchise should only be a trilogy, and ended it with an adaption of the Dark Phoenix Saga. I guess they thought the franchise was bound to tank by the third film, so when it didn't, instead of simply announcing more X-Men films, they decided to stick to the trilogy plan, and instead release prequels called X-Men Origins which would feature the origins of each character. I guess someone should have explained to FOX that the X-Men were all mutants, so always having their powers, would not have had any origin stories other than their parents dropping them off at Dr X's school. The lone exception was Wolverine, who got an extra upgrade of Adamantium bones via an army experiment. Somehow no other X-Men Origins films were made, but instead a decision to reboot the franchise with First Class,  and then eventually turning the reboot into earlier entries of the previous series with Days of Future Past, during which for whatever reason a sequel was made to X-Men Origins: Wolverine called simply The Wolverine. Want to add more confusion? The Deadpoolseries, which doesn't fit with what happened in X-Men Origins. Then, of course, everything that happened in the first three X-Men films didn't happen because time traveling Wolverine altered the time line, which doesn't explain why 20th Century Fox decided to redo the Dark Phoenix Saga AGAIN with the First Class cast. Lets just forget that confusing mess ( which will all be erased as soon as the MCU X-Men are introduced ) and judge The Wolverine as a stand alone film, which is hard to do as he is haunted by Jean Grey in his dreams, and there is that surprise post ending sequence that sort of  teases Days of Future Past but doesn't quite fit into the continuity. It is a pretty damn good superhero film.

Stormy Tempest: Fight For The Future ( 2013 )
And on to a superhero film that is the opposite of pretty dam good. Although I don't think Stormy Tempest quite counts as a superhero despite having her own AC comic book, and wearing a superhero costume. Basically, she is a space cop from the future. In this instalment, she tracks some aliens into the past to discover they are trying to kidnap one of her ancestors from a comic book convention. Very poorly done, but once again short enough not to be that bad.

The Amazing Colossal Woman ( 2016? )
Actually, I think this was shot in 2006 and was only completed in post production in 2016. Much like Stormy Tempest, this is another of the AC Comics shot on video films, which is the origin story of the AC character Garganta, but is actually an unauthorized remake of  Attack of the 50 foot woman (  1958  ), complete with unauthorized use of footage from that film, along with  unauthorized  footage taken from earthquake  ( 1974 ). Also, throw in some bad special effects. This includes one of the most questionable special effects I have ever seen anywhere. So apparently, when this film ( actually, video ) was finally edited in 2016, they must have realized they didn't have a shot of an actor on a phone. So there is a fake looking special effect hand and cell phone

Oh, and you may have noticed the "movie" is in black and white. My guess so they could use the black and white footage from Attack of the 50 Foot Woman. Complete garbage. And unfortunately, this one was an hour long.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1176
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #18845 on: September 23, 2019, 12:58:35 AM »
Jackie Chan is badass ;)  I have a bootleg copy of Drunken Master on VHS. I can't even remember where I got it, but I seem to be one of the few people who liked the original movie over the sequel. Or maybe I'm just one of the few Americans who actually saw the first movie. I've seen at least two of the Police Story movies (I think there are five). It is astounding that he is still alive.

Have you ever seen City Hunter? The live action version I mean (which bares no resemblance to the anime whatsoever). I'm pretty sure that movie has the single stupidest fight scene ever put on film. If you've seen it, you know what scene I'm referring to.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3325
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18846 on: September 23, 2019, 02:06:52 AM »
Jackie Chan is badass ;)  I have a bootleg copy of Drunken Master on VHS. I can't even remember where I got it, but I seem to be one of the few people who liked the original movie over the sequel. Or maybe I'm just one of the few Americans who actually saw the first movie. I've seen at least two of the Police Story movies (I think there are five). It is astounding that he is still alive.

Have you ever seen City Hunter? The live action version I mean (which bares no resemblance to the anime whatsoever). I'm pretty sure that movie has the single stupidest fight scene ever put on film. If you've seen it, you know what scene I'm referring to.

We just got a boxset of Project A parts 1 and 2. Only watched the first so far, but will likely watch the second next week at our movie club.

I remember enjoying Drunken Master when I saw it almost 20 years ago, but I need to revisit it for sure.
FINE

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #18847 on: September 26, 2019, 09:31:57 AM »
Midsommar
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8772262/

Awesome horror movie about a wacked-out cult.  Essentially a slow-boil bad-acid trip. 

Despite a runtime of 2h18m I never got bored.  There was always something to look at or think about.

Two thumbs up.

PSA: If you're one of those fools who takes psychadelics do NOT take them before this movie. 

I'd be interested to hear your take on the significance of the ending, particularly the last shot.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 03:12:20 PM by F-Zero »

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 222
« Reply #18848 on: September 26, 2019, 03:12:01 PM »
I have a bootleg copy of Drunken Master on VHS. I can't even remember where I got it, but I seem to be one of the few people who liked the original movie over the sequel. Or maybe I'm just one of the few Americans who actually saw the first movie.

Not many got to see Drunken Master until the 2002 North American DVD release. There was a home video company called World Video Enterprises  ( WVE )!which released a lot of trashy low budget independent exploitation films, back when the major studios were very reluctant to release their movies on home video and rental shops were looking for movies to rent.  Like many independent video lables of that era, WVE discovered the profitability of releasing martial arts films, which the rental shops wanted for their token martial arts/Chuck Norris sections. And like most labels, didn't bother to seek out the best films, but rather went after the cheapest licensing they could, resulting in almost all of their releases being cheap Tiawanes productions with unknown casts and directors. But then they broke the norm and acquired the North American distribution rights to the Seasonal Jackie Chan films. The first released was Eagle's Shadow, partially because Drunken Master was being promoted in the West as the sequel to Eagle's Shadow and WVE wanted the two films released in sequence, and partially because Eagle's Shadow had a previous American release with a lot of promotion and was the better known of the two films, and mostly because the American movie poster was by Neal Adams, and using it on the box for Eagle's Shadow and someone at WVE was a huge Neal Adams fan. ( The poster was reused for the VHS box art. ) Unfortunately, WVE went into bankruptcy just prior to releasing Drunken Master. WVE's distribution rights to both Jackie Chan movies would remain in limbo until they expired in the mid 90s, preventing any other video label to legally release them. When the rights were finally available again, there was a bidding war that included Miramax, New Line, Criterion, Fox Home Video and a few others, but the winner was Sony Pictures. But unfortunately replaced the original English dub with their own less funny English dub.

The first bootleg turned up around 1989 via Dragon Video. However, it wasn't actually Drunken Master. They acquired a tape from England and used it's box to create the bootleg box. But converting PAL to NTSC was expensive before it could be done via computer, and Dragon Video was too cheap to pay the $70 for the conversion. So instead they used a sequel called Story of the Drunken Master which in some prints ( including the one Dragon had ) began with the ending fight from Drunken Master before going into a new plot with Simon Yuen. Several "sequels" were made within a year, all starring Yuen as Beggar So.  The closest they came to a sequel with Jackie was The Magnificent Butcher which was to be both Jackie Chan and Simon Yuen's first film under contract with Golden Harvest. But then Lo Wei Films claimed Jackie was still under contract with them, and Simon Yuen suddenly died of a heart attack. Story of the Drunken Master was sold as Drunken Master until 1992 when Samurai Video began selling the correct copy. From there it spread to the other bootleggers, and by 1995 SotDM was no longer sold on the streets. But by that time most of the Golden Harvest films to date were either being redubbed and rereleased, or were available as imports, so new Jackie Chan fans didn't need to buy bootlegs.

I have the import of City Hunter somewhere and can barely remember the plot. But I know it's not the dumbest fight. Not even for s Jackie Chan film. Check out Master With Cracked Fingers. And then there is the really dumb choice in weapon for the fight in Ten Tigers of Kwangtung......

There is also the fight with the gorilla in Bruce Lee, The Invincible, the fight in Hell between Bruce Lee's spirit, Popeye the Sailor, Dracula, James Bond and others in The Dragon Lives, and whatever the hell Gymkata is suppose to be. And that's just off the top of my head. There is a bottomless pit of really stupid filmed fights which makes the fight in City Hunter look sensible in comparison. It wasn't even the dumbest fight using those characters. There is a Raul Julia film with that dishonor.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #18849 on: September 26, 2019, 03:18:12 PM »
Statue style?  That is weird.

The whole thing is on youtube btw, dubbed in french (does it really matter?).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAgW3Z_U3Pc

Jumping around I gotta wonder why you like it better than DM2.  DM2 is a candidate for GOAT.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1075
  • Thank you, sweet Rabbit!
« Reply #18850 on: September 26, 2019, 09:39:07 PM »
Blade runner 2049 - OKay… I'll just come out and say it right now. This is probably a really good movie, I just have a hard time seeing it. I'm one of the assholes who just has a hard time keeping track of all the shit going on and wondering why this series is so acclaimed. Don't get me wrong, personally I don't think the Blade Runner movies are bad by any means, I just think they're kind of really overrated because well... in my opinion(just my opinion, doesn't mean you have to like it or agree or anything) they're kind of boring. Like I said, when it comes to my opinions on these movies, I am an asshole so take my assessment with a grain of salt.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18851 on: September 27, 2019, 05:56:18 AM »
Blade runner 2049 - OKay… I'll just come out and say it right now. This is probably a really good movie, I just have a hard time seeing it. I'm one of the assholes who just has a hard time keeping track of all the shit going on and wondering why this series is so acclaimed. Don't get me wrong, personally I don't think the Blade Runner movies are bad by any means, I just think they're kind of really overrated because well... in my opinion(just my opinion, doesn't mean you have to like it or agree or anything) they're kind of boring. Like I said, when it comes to my opinions on these movies, I am an asshole so take my assessment with a grain of salt.
I found the first Blade Runner incredibly boring, and didn't even bother watching 2049. So you're not alone.

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5529
« Reply #18852 on: September 27, 2019, 06:45:35 AM »
I've heard some say that the sequel is better (or at least has less issues).  I find that genre rather interesting.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
« Reply #18853 on: September 27, 2019, 02:03:16 PM »
Midsommar

Awesome horror movie about a wacked-out cult.  Essentially a slow-boil bad-acid trip. 

Despite a runtime of 2h18m I never got bored.  There was always something to look at or think about.

Two thumbs up.

PSA: If you're one of those fools who takes psychadelics do NOT take them before this movie. 

I'd be interested to hear your take on the significance of the ending, particularly the last shot.

I loovvvveee this movie  I've seen it twice in theaters (one of the times being the director's cut).  I've posted about it a couple times in this thread now. 

What is your take on the ending?  I've had more time to think about it, so I'd like to hear you go first.

Offline F-Zero

• Big Montana
« Reply #18854 on: September 28, 2019, 02:58:25 AM »
Midsommar

Two thumbs up.

I loovvvveee this movie  I've seen it twice in theaters (one of the times being the director's cut).  I've posted about it a couple times in this thread now. 

What is your take on the ending?  I've had more time to think about it, so I'd like to hear you go first.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)