Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1584214 times)

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 48
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18825 on: September 16, 2019, 12:51:01 AM »
Yesterday

The best part was old John Lennon.  I got rekt.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/I_EiL5Xujx8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/I_EiL5Xujx8</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18826 on: September 16, 2019, 08:32:34 AM »
I hope one day they make a Duran Duran biopic called "The band named after the villain from Barbarella".

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18827 on: September 16, 2019, 09:42:08 AM »
Is this to disappoint fans of the Black Queen, pretty-pretty?

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 745
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #18828 on: September 17, 2019, 08:21:50 AM »
Alita: Battle Angel

Fantastic action sequences, good acting, interesting world...

But, there's not really much in the way of an actual plot. It's clear they were setting things up for a sequel. A sequel we'll probably never get. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2659
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18829 on: September 17, 2019, 08:27:45 AM »
That's the way I felt about it, all that fantastic world building and no payoff.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18830 on: September 17, 2019, 11:33:48 AM »
Best part of Alita Battle Angel was Jennifer Connelly… in garters. Proof that in the future, women still prefer sexy.

Last night I watched Bon Voyage Charlie Brown. I've been watching the peanuts movies since I was a little, little kid. I always enjoyed them for the animation and the emotional fulfillment, but now that I'm an adult... relatively speaking anyway I can enjoy the movie for its... rather mean-spirited humor and some very funny jokes. I love all the classic peanuts films but honestly I think this one is the best. It's funny to watch Snoopy at Wimbledon, Snoopy driving and the fact that somehow he and Woodstock have their own passports. I mean damn how often are you going to use that passport buddy, and better question how in hell does a bird get a passport?

The scene in the café where Snoopy is crying makes me believe that during Snoopy's stint as a WW2 flying ace, he knew Captain America.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 745
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #18831 on: September 18, 2019, 01:38:47 AM »
Last night I watched Bon Voyage Charlie Brown. I've been watching the peanuts movies since I was a little, little kid. I always enjoyed them for the animation and the emotional fulfillment, but now that I'm an adult... relatively speaking anyway I can enjoy the movie for its... rather mean-spirited humor and some very funny jokes. I love all the classic peanuts films but honestly I think this one is the best. It's funny to watch Snoopy at Wimbledon, Snoopy driving and the fact that somehow he and Woodstock have their own passports. I mean damn how often are you going to use that passport buddy, and better question how in hell does a bird get a passport?

The scene in the café where Snoopy is crying makes me believe that during Snoopy's stint as a WW2 flying ace, he knew Captain America.

Bon Voyage was very good, but my favorite has always been Race for your Life.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18832 on: September 18, 2019, 06:03:24 AM »
Best part of Alita Battle Angel was Jennifer Connelly… in garters.
Okay, now I need to watch this.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #18833 on: September 18, 2019, 02:15:54 PM »
Deep Red (1975)

I've been meaning to watch this Dario Argento movie for awhile and am glad to finally find the opportunity to sit down and do so.  I think it is much better paced than some of the other Italian giallo films that I've sat through and the Goblin score is always exciting.  It's very suspenseful and seriously thought there were shades of some of Alfred Hitchcock's darker work albeit much gorier.  If you can get through the brutality of the murders the twists and turns the plot takes kept me guessing until the final reveal.  I immediately started rewatching it as soon as it was over it's really excellently made.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #18834 on: September 19, 2019, 02:29:33 AM »
Alita: Battle Angel

Fantastic action sequences, good acting, interesting world...

But, there's not really much in the way of an actual plot. It's clear they were setting things up for a sequel. A sequel we'll probably never get.

This is one of those movies that's good yet I just can't seem to get through it.  I tried four times now and I've given up.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #18835 on: September 19, 2019, 02:40:20 AM »
Annabelle Comes Home

Sorry.  That doll just ain't scary. 

Watching the movie was like endless horror movie foreplay: ominous sounds, tricky camera work, jump-scares that have no consequence and just leads to the next, and the next, and the next, etc. 

There's hardly any gore and no killing at all.

We all want gore like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18836 on: September 19, 2019, 02:42:18 PM »
Detective Pikachu - Eh, it was just okay at best. They did a great job with establishing the world where Pokemon exist everywhere, but I didn't really get into much else about it. Justice Smith, the actor who plays the main guy Tim, he's really good. But I think having such a recognizable voice being Pikachu didn't help me get into the movie. And as much as I like Bill Nighy, having him cast as the rich white guy behind it all made the "mystery" reveal  reeeeeally cliche and obvious.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2659
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18837 on: September 19, 2019, 07:49:27 PM »
Downton Abbey

If you love the series you'll love the movie, even if it is a bit exhausting, there must be a dozen plot lines in the thing, but they are juggled quite well even if it will take a few more viewings when it comes out on home video to really appreciate them all.  If it was during the series run it probably would have been spread out over 4 episodes…

Not sure it benefits at all from the big screen, only a few shots really take advantage of it, kind of makes sense since most of it takes place indoors, but it would have been nice to have some more wide shots of the countryside, maybe there were and they were cut for time, there must be 400 pages of dialog packed into the 2 hour run time.  And it is such a love letter to the series I doubt it would appeal to people that haven't seen the series, if you don't know the back stories of all the characters I think you would be very lost.  There is some exposition but it is mixed in kind of late, so if you only watched the movie you would sort of know who everyone was but you would still be missing a lot of why certain things were said.

But I did love the series so loved every minute of the movie.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #18838 on: September 20, 2019, 06:54:23 PM »
Downton Abbey

If you love the series you'll love the movie, even if it is a bit exhausting, there must be a dozen plot lines in the thing, but they are juggled quite well even if it will take a few more viewings when it comes out on home video to really appreciate them all.  If it was during the series run it probably would have been spread out over 4 episodes…

Not sure it benefits at all from the big screen, only a few shots really take advantage of it, kind of makes sense since most of it takes place indoors, but it would have been nice to have some more wide shots of the countryside, maybe there were and they were cut for time, there must be 400 pages of dialog packed into the 2 hour run time.  And it is such a love letter to the series I doubt it would appeal to people that haven't seen the series, if you don't know the back stories of all the characters I think you would be very lost.  There is some exposition but it is mixed in kind of late, so if you only watched the movie you would sort of know who everyone was but you would still be missing a lot of why certain things were said.

But I did love the series so loved every minute of the movie.

I saw it but I only played Street Fighter 1 so I was completely lost.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18839 on: September 21, 2019, 07:39:46 AM »
49th Parallel

This is my first Powell/Pressberger film and it's pretty good.  Its a propaganda piece trying to show why North America should be concerned with World War II  and manages to be watchable and enjoyable throughout.  It reminds me of an EC Comics story played long and in five parts: there aren't a lot of "snap endings" but there is a sense of karma in the universe and each episodic section ends with a bad guy (and one guy who wants to become a good guy) getting caught or killed.  The premise is that 6 Nazi soldiers have infiltrated Canada and are wandering through the country in an attempt to get to the U.S. for a symbolic foothold.  As they travel through, they are confronted and confounded by the country's basic human decency (like Laurence Olivier with an OUTRAGEOUS FRENCH ACCENT!), resistence to tyranny and prejudice (though the latter, while commented on, feels soft-pedaled, as the few non-whites in the film barely get to be characters) and religiousness (strangely, in this world, the Nazis "worship" Hitler and are deeply confused by actual Christianity.  Like, they act like the religion is a completely foreign concept, which is a weird choice.) My favourite section is in the middle when one of the soldiers, while staying in a Hutterite community, tries to break free of his army.  The last scene is a lot of fun as well, though strangely lighter than everything that happens in between.