Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1566649 times)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18780 on: August 20, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »
The Red Balloon

Still a sweet, beautiful classic.  Also, that's a really good looking balloon.  It's perfectly round and red and shiney in a way that feels hyper-real in the first few scenes.  It's a weird comment to make about a balloon, but it is a perfectly crafted prop/character.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18781 on: August 20, 2019, 12:00:48 PM »
The Red Balloon

Still a sweet, beautiful classic.  Also, that's a really good looking balloon.  It's perfectly round and red and shiney in a way that feels hyper-real in the first few scenes.  It's a weird comment to make about a balloon, but it is a perfectly crafted prop/character.
I prefer the sequel:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kM9nmP1Kf8g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kM9nmP1Kf8g</a>

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18782 on: August 21, 2019, 11:24:09 AM »
Brightburn... frickin Brightburn, dude! I guess there is a certain strength in keeping your movie simple, but I also feel that in Brightburn that also makes it a weakness. Long story short, parents adopt a baby who came from outer space. When this kid reaches 10 years of age he starts demonstrating superhuman powers. Except instead of listening to his parents, it seems like the spaceship he landed in is exerting a type of influence over him and the kid flips his shit, rapidly changing from... not good, but not bad to just plain evil.

There are some fairly gory moments in the film, including one I would have honestly called absolutely unnecessary involving a glass shard... and an eyeball. Yeah, just let that sink in. To be honest I'm not sure the gore was all that necessary to establishing that this kid is the embodiment of evil. I think they wanted you to feel more empathy for the people of the town. Also, the fact that there's like 100 jump scares in this movie does little to nothing to enhance the experience.

Anyway, like I said the story is ridiculously simple. Somehow, even though the premise is good and some part of me feels that maybe I am having a hard time being objective about my opinion on the movie, I can't shake the feeling that Brightburn could have been a whole lot better. If you're interested, I strongly recommend renting this before you make the decision to buy it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18783 on: August 21, 2019, 02:09:04 PM »
Also, the fact that there's like 100 jump scares in this movie does little to nothing to enhance the experience.

I didn't realize there were a lot of jump scares in it, that sucks. It's the lazy way to get scares, and it's only useful in movies that can't build up tension. But if you do have enough atmosphere that you can build up tension for a real scare then wasting it on a jump scare is a shame.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18784 on: August 22, 2019, 10:53:17 AM »
Cruel Intentions - In the late 90's I think I wanted to be different by not going to see the latest pop culture phenomena. This pretty much included anything starring Sarah Michelle Gellar. I've wanted to see this for a long time and finally I got the chance last night when I saw it was free with my Prime subscription.

Warning: SPOILERS AHEAD

Cruel Intentions is actually pretty good. It's the story of two very selfish, self-obsessed siblings(portrayed by Sarah Michelle Gellar and Ryan Philippe) who pride themselves on destroying the lives of others. Eventually, they make a wager that if the brother wins the affections of a wealthy, beautiful socialite. Sebastians sister Kathryn(Buffy) will... well, for lack of better words, allow him to Jaime Lannister her. Sebastian(The brother) has a severe attack of conscience when it turns out he truly falls in love with Annette(Reese Witherspoon).

Near the end of the film Sebastian confesses everything to Annette, then later writes her a letter telling her everything, including all the sordid details about how he and his sister were such selfish pieces of shit, contained in his journal. Sebastian and Annette are going to meet, but just as they do, a fight indirectly due to Kathryn's manipulation causes Annette to fall into the middle of the street where she's about to be hit by a Taxi. Sebastian at the last second pushes her out of the way, only for him to get hit and killed.

The final scene is Kathryn giving a... half-hearted speech at her brother's funeral. Suddenly people exit when they are all given a copy of Sebastian's journal. Kathryn sees it for herself and everyone stares at her. It is only then when she is exposed as a selfish bitch that she finally cries. A person completely incapable of love, except for herself.

I think what I loved about Cruel Intentions is that it tries to get us to ponder a really deep question... is a terrible human being capable of being a good person? Or at the very least a better person? There is an old saying that love conquers all. I think that is a little too optimistic. I think that love DOES conquer all... but only sometimes. It's not like love can be equated with something like a flu vaccine.

In the end, I felt empathy for Sebastian. I identified with him because I know what it's like to lose somebody because of who you are, and you desperately want to win that person back by being a better person, by any means possible. Sometimes that is sadly not possible.

Just looking at the premise of Cruel Intentions one may get the idea that this isn't a very deep movie and is just a cheap exploitation flick, but I found it very compelling and a solid piece of cinema. I promise I'm not just saying that because I love "Bittersweet Symphony" by the Verve.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 37
« Reply #18785 on: August 24, 2019, 03:22:31 AM »
47 Meters Down: Uncaged I think it was just more stereotyping of great white sharks as the bad guy. 

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18786 on: August 24, 2019, 11:43:56 AM »
Us: Damn this is good. Really tense, really spooky, scary, but it somehow manages to have some very funny moments as well. I highly recommend it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #18787 on: August 24, 2019, 03:47:26 PM »
Peanut Butter Falcon (2019) - A young man with down syndrome runs away from a nursing home that he is being kept in by the state. Obsessed with wrestling, he wants to find his hero and learn to be a wrestler himself. He comes across a down on his luck fisherman (Shia Lebeauf) running from some goons. Trying to find them is the social worker (Dakota Johnson).
This was pretty good. Shia LaBeouf in particular gives a good performance, of a character that is largely the victim of his own actions and frustrations. The love story with Dakota Johnson's character was cliche and tacked on, but it didn't take over the narrative. The real standout is Zack Gottsagen, who actually has Down Syndrome. It's hard to judge his acting like an able bodied actor since the way he speaks you're largely just impresed he says anything intelligable. But he runs the emotional gamut through  the movie, and is incredibly likable. It's not a laugh out loud comedy, and unfortunately some of the funniest lines were spoiled in the trailer, but the movie more emphasizes the heartfelt message of letting people live out in the world rather than keeping them safe just because you don't think they are capable.
Oh, and Thomas Haden Church as a wrestler was great!
The only real issue I had was the abrupt ending, but that is minor.
So is it just Oscarbait? Maybe. But I would thoroughly recommend it. And it is definitely the kind of thing I was expecting Shia to be in to gain back a little credibility.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #18788 on: August 25, 2019, 10:32:22 PM »
Inspector Gadget 2 ( 2003)
Just as bad as the first film. But at least this time the director made a little effort to make the film like the cartoon it's supposed to be based on. Gadget is once again stupid, and sounds like Don Addams. Dr Claw sort of sounds like Claw, and his face is never shown. Penny tried to get involved in Gadget's investigations, and calls him Uncle Gadget. However, Brain is still a normal dog, Dr Claw still has a prosthetic claw, and the Gadget Mobile still talks.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18789 on: August 27, 2019, 04:15:40 PM »
Us: Damn this is good. Really tense, really spooky, scary, but it somehow manages to have some very funny moments as well. I highly recommend it.
I didn't like it that much. After reading what someone else wrote, I can at least appreciate it more. Have you come across this theory?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18790 on: August 27, 2019, 08:49:27 PM »
That is interesting I must admit, and it does make perfect sense.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18791 on: August 30, 2019, 07:55:55 PM »
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days

This is a drama but it has the tension of a thriller.  And strangely, its major tool of tension is... banality.  Basically, it involves a woman being an accessory to a crime there's never really a moment of
and despite that, through the whole thing, while everyone is largely acting normal and sedate, the whole thing is tense.  One of the other major themes seems to be people who are bad at making plans and how one woman suffers for it, which makes thematic sense considering the laws in play during the era of the film.

I will say, every review/plot overview mentions what it is about but the film doesn't reveal it is about an
until a quarter of the way through.  I'm curious if it was more obvious to Romanian audiences, most of whom would have been alive during the era the film takes place in.  There was definitely some cultural stuff lost on me that I read up about after, such as not only was
and the black market dorm scene in the beginning.  I really liked this movie.  I wouldn't say it was a "hard" watch, but it was definitely discomforting.

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #18792 on: August 31, 2019, 02:25:21 AM »

Really?  Let me guess the ending:

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6861
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #18793 on: August 31, 2019, 02:31:39 AM »

Really?  Let me guess the ending:

no, that's real life.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline F-Zero

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #18794 on: August 31, 2019, 12:59:56 PM »
The Messenger. Again.  Exhilarating and it makes me cry salty tears.