login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1566657 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18765 on: August 12, 2019, 09:11:19 AM »
Blow Out

De Palma is a bit of a blind spot for me and I suspect that Blow Out is everything I will love and not love about the director.  The level of bombast is a mixed bag.  The big climax was a little too much for me (especially in the music) but that shot under the fireworks is pretty glorious.  I like the reveal that the big conspiracy is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
.  The shots are all very beautiful.  I'm still mulling over my feelings about the ending and I haven't decided if it earned it, but it is an interesting choice.  I liked it while watching it and like it more in thinking about it, but in this genre, I tend to prefer relatively quiet thrillers like the Conversation (which this would make a good double bill with) to the wilder aspects of this one.  I will also say I was surprised by the fact that the two leads were praised for their performances, which I found to be inconsistent in quality.  Some scenes are a little wooden and some scenes work really well.  I also kind of like that De Palma also never gives the two leads a romance, instead it being a bond that gives the last act some real stakes.  I suspect I'll like this one more with multiple viewings but for now it's less "classic" and more "that was a lot of fun."

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rDve1A5EAvk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rDve1A5EAvk</a>

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #18766 on: August 12, 2019, 10:27:37 AM »
I went through a period where I think I watched every De Palma film and I remember enjoying most of them at the time I watched them, but I also found them all to also be easily forgetable. Blow Out is a good example. I'm 100% positive I saw it. I think it was on my list of his movies that I enjoyed, but I can't remember a thing about it now.

Edit: OK, checking the list of De Palma films, i don't think I've seen any of the ones made in about the last 15 years. And I forgot some of the rather crappy ones made before that were De Palma films (yet rememeber more about the crappy ones than the ones I remember enoying, which is kind of weird).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:15:01 PM by wihogfan »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18767 on: August 12, 2019, 02:01:40 PM »
I think Depalma's masterpiece is The Untouchables. I first saw that movie nearly 25 years ago and I instantly fell in love with it. I've seen a lot of his other movies, but nothing beats The Untouchables.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2638
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18768 on: August 12, 2019, 07:08:34 PM »
Blow Out

De Palma is a bit of a blind spot for me and I suspect that Blow Out is everything I will love and not love about the director.  The level of bombast is a mixed bag.  The big climax was a little too much for me (especially in the music) but that shot under the fireworks is pretty glorious.  I like the reveal that the big conspiracy is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
.  The shots are all very beautiful.  I'm still mulling over my feelings about the ending and I haven't decided if it earned it, but it is an interesting choice.  I liked it while watching it and like it more in thinking about it, but in this genre, I tend to prefer relatively quiet thrillers like the Conversation (which this would make a good double bill with) to the wilder aspects of this one.  I will also say I was surprised by the fact that the two leads were praised for their performances, which I found to be inconsistent in quality.  Some scenes are a little wooden and some scenes work really well.  I also kind of like that De Palma also never gives the two leads a romance, instead it being a bond that gives the last act some real stakes.  I suspect I'll like this one more with multiple viewings but for now it's less "classic" and more "that was a lot of fun."

Blow Out is probably my favourite De Palma, although Carrie is excellent too. The gulf between his best and worst work is kind of amazing. He's a director of extremes. :P
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3177
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18769 on: August 15, 2019, 09:35:58 AM »
I was split on whether to put it here or in the TV thread, but I checked out the new Rocko's Modern Life special on Netflix.

It's darn good. Rocko was my favorite Nicktoon back in the day and I was amazed how quickly it fell back into the old groove. It tackles a lot of low-hanging fruit (In the first few minutes, it skewers energy drinks, selfie-sticks, 3D printers, gritty-3D superhero movies and drones) but it's the exact same low-hanging fruit the show would have made jokes about back in the day. Its larger themes about dealing with change, fan entitlement, and the dangers of sheltering yourself in the warm glow of nostalgia are more subtly played and land very nicely.

They say if this does well, we might get more Rocko. I'm hoping it does well.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18770 on: August 15, 2019, 12:04:44 PM »
I don't think I have ever seen a single episode of Rocko's modern life. If what everybody else is saying about that show is any indication I have been missing out. Anyway yeah I should probably see at least a few episodes before checking out the special.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #18771 on: August 18, 2019, 07:51:39 AM »
Zombie Tidal Wave (2019)
Exactly what I expected- no better, no worse. Sharknadonado minus sharks plus zombies minus star cameos plus a racist sterotype.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 511
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #18772 on: August 18, 2019, 07:58:44 AM »
A Dog's Purpose. My uncle wanted me to watch this, and it was good except for the fact that it was a movie about dog reincarnations which REQUIRES DOGS TO DIE. The part with the corgi had me fucking sobbing.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #18773 on: August 18, 2019, 03:07:47 PM »
Disney's Inspector Gadget ( 1999 )
Wikipedia counts the Inspector Gadget films as superhero films. And I can't argue with their definition because Inspector Gadget did have something akin to superpowers, and did fight crime. Although I always thought of the cartoon as a spy parody, which explained why they cast Don Adams as the voice actor for Gadget in the English dub. But that also meant I had to buy both of the Disney Inspector Gadget films to complete my superhero collection. 

Whenever there is a live action movie based on your favorite animated cartoon series, there are two things you don't want to hear: CGI characters, and made by Disney. Back in the 90s Disney made a lot of adaptions of animated cartoons, this long before they figured out they should be making live adaptions of their own cartoons. They all shared something in common; they all sucked. I had seen quite a few of those live action Disney adaptions in the past, and knew what punishment I was in for with Inspector Gadget.

And yeah, it did suck in the same way most Disney live action films suck, with comedy that's not funny, and action scenes that aren't exciting. On top of that, the film does a lot of dumb things with the Inspector Gadget property. Instead of being a mysterious figure who you only see the arms of, the Dr. Claw in this movie you see his entire face throughout the film. He is only the head of a tech company, and not the leader of a vast criminal organization called MAD. His cat's even a different breed than the one in the cartoon. Penny barely gets involved with Gadget's adventures, because in this version Gadget is not an idiot. Brain is not an intelligent dog, but just a family pet who occasionally appears on screen. And they give Gadget a talking car for a gadget mobile, just so we can hear it's lame wisecracks throughout the film. I guess this is what passes for entertainment with the crowd who watches Disney Channel ( Seriously.  If you ever have the misfortune of being stuck in a room with kids who watch the channel, it's just one godawful sitcom after another, all that are a lot worse than this movie. And yet they seem to enjoy it. But I am still amazed that Selena Gomez, The Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato built successful careers initially doing Disney sitcoms. ) For me it was 1 hour and 20 minutes where the only entertainment came from wondering how they could have f&%ked such a simple premise  this bad.

And I still have the direct to video sequel to look forward to next week.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 03:10:37 PM by stethacantus »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18774 on: August 18, 2019, 04:36:03 PM »
 I spit on your grave  -  this is the  remake of the classic 70s revenge flick.  If you’ve heard anything about this movie at all then you probably already know the story. Basically an innocent woman who is alone in a cabin in the woods is  raped by a group of  The lowest of the low.  A bunch of “men” who try to rationalize their behavior by saying that their victim is nothing more than just a stuck up city girl and she was asking for it. This group  also includes the local sheriff. The movie does a very good job of making the woman very sympathetic. She tries everything she can to keep the situation from escalating even when she has absolutely no ethical legal or moral duty to do anything. She also tries her best to fight back against these “men “,  but unfortunately that makes the  men all the more violent.

After the violation of her has “ended” she stumbles down the road and jumps off a bridge into a river where the creeps lose her. A short time later the woman comes back and begins to hunt down every one of the men who violated her and one by one she exacts her revenge in glorious fashion.

Although I think they could’ve expanded a little more on how she survived falling in the river I admit I appreciate how simple the scope of this movie is. It’s an incredibly simple revenge tale. Just bear in mind this is still clearly a horror movie. It is very, very hard to watch. At least the first half was, I found the part where the woman takes her revenge to be absolutely delightful.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18775 on: August 19, 2019, 06:59:45 AM »
La Femme Nikita - Second time watching it. First time was just because I was going through Luc Besson's filmography. Still amazed by it. Really surprising that it was made in 1990, because it feels ahead of its time (and likely because it inspired so much of what American action would look like in the 90s). There's a lot of perfection here. The acting, the writing/story, directing, action set pieces, and music all work together to make something really interesting, fun, exciting, and unique. It's so close to being a perfect movie. The only thing I would say is that it slows down a bit in the last 20mins and motivations get a little muddled and confusing. I don't generally go through directors' filmographies much, but it's a good reminder that I could find an amazing gem here or there this way.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 733
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #18776 on: August 19, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »
I spit on your grave  -  this is the  remake of the classic 70s revenge flick.

There's a remake of I Spit on your Grave?? Why on Earth would people want to watch a second version of this?

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 733
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #18777 on: August 19, 2019, 11:19:37 AM »
Bone Tomahawk

Thanks Red Letter Media for convincing me to watch this :-\

It was a good movie, well acted and well directed. And I can't turn down a Kurt Russell movie. But I kept wondering, why is this rated R? Seems like a pretty typical western... HOLY SWEET JESUS!! If you've seen the movie, you know exactly which scene I'm referring to.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18778 on: August 19, 2019, 12:58:00 PM »
Bone Tomahawk

It was a good movie, well acted and well directed. And I can't turn down a Kurt Russell movie. But I kept wondering, why is this rated R? Seems like a pretty typical western... HOLY SWEET JESUS!! If you've seen the movie, you know exactly which scene I'm referring to.
Considered watching this based on their recommendation too. But I'm really not a fan of Westerns. Not even modern ones like Hell or High Water. So conflicted though.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2641
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18779 on: August 19, 2019, 02:04:13 PM »
Bone Tomahawk

Considered watching this based on their recommendation too. But I'm really not a fan of Westerns. Not even modern ones like Hell or High Water. So conflicted though.

I just looked this up, yikes, not for me...