Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1536376 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 512
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18660 on: June 08, 2019, 08:17:57 PM »
Earlier this morning I watched Rifftrax: Samurai Cop. This thing was pretty hilarious but I find the title to be a huge misnomer... much like the title of a lot of other MST and Rifftrax movies. For some reason I just don't have a lot to say about it. The biggest... um... surprise(?) for me was having to get to see the shrink wrapped batch of the main character in a banana hammock. Yeah... something for the ladies, and some select guys.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18661 on: June 08, 2019, 08:34:12 PM »
Apollo 11

I have watched and read so much about the Apollo program I didn't think it was possible for this documentary to be as good as people say, but damn was it amazing, the 65mm film they found just blew me away, and an added touch was that they went through tons of raw audio from the mission and picked stuff that was new to me and I'm guessing pretty much everyone.

I wish it was out in 4K, if it get's a 4K release I will gladly double dip and pick it up.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18662 on: June 09, 2019, 03:04:23 PM »
The amazon prime streaming service is fairly diverse. They've got a lot of great series, great movies, but the service has no shortage of very obscure C-movies. One such film I just watched this afternoon is the 1985 "horror" film called Evils of the night. I have no doubt in my mind this movie would be PERFECT for Rifftrax. It's just bad enough and just obscure enough that I think it's just right. Hell, every other five seconds I was expecting to hear Mike, Bill or Kevin make a joke.

Basically, during it's 85 minute run time I basically no idea what the hell was going on in this movie. A spaceship appears in space, then a huge spherical object vaguely resembling a disco ball lands in the forest(Sadly, probably the best effect in the film). Then some young adults are out at a lake getting it on only to be kidnapped by things we can't see, then they are taken to a hospital. Apparently it's an abandoned hospital that's now being run by the...aliens(?). I mean in a movie like this where you're on a budget I get it, you're going to have to spend very little on costumes. It's just that the costumes the female aliens wear in this movie look like they were pulled right from some bad 1960's B-movies.

The aliens also apparently hired some elderly, sleazy auto mechanics to kidnap some of these young people for their experiments. Wow, that's a sure fire way to get anything done is to hire elderly auto mechanics. I mean there's no possible way anything could possibly go wrong, right? Later on in the movie we see this redheaded alien lady paying the elderly men with what look like tokens to a video arcade. "Thanks Lady! Now I can go play Polybius for 3 hours!". They try to say that it's Gold they're being paid with, but with a movie on a budget lower than the average yearly income of a housekeeper in Botswana... I seriously doubt that anyone working on this movie has ever seen any precious metal any rarer than real silver.

Those of you expecting plenty of blood and gore, prepare to be disappointed. There is some blood, but almost no gore in the entire movie. One of the elderly men oddly kills one of the women he kidnapped, which is odd. I mean... doesn't he want to get to play more Miss Pac-man? Then later this poor woman running around in her shirt and panties is hiding from one of the elderly auto mechanics in a shed. The funny part is the elderly guy is hitting the shed with an axe, like 30 or 40 times, progressively doing less and less damage with each hit. Then somehow he is able to successfully kill the woman(off screen) with the axe. We see blood and a severed arm, but that's about it. Man, I didn't know dull axes were so sharp! Oh yeah and the other poor elderly sleazy auto mechanic gets... crushed(?) by a car being lowered onto him. You might think in this movie such a death would be very gory, like on the level with something in Final Destination, but no, he's dead despite the fact the wound he suffered looks pretty superficial... to me anyway. I'm no doctor.

Those who are looking for a little T and A are not going to be disappointed. If however you were hoping to see Julie Newmar(yes, THAT Julie Newmar) show us her boobies, you're going to be disappointed. So, the other Elderly mechanic ends up dead(shot by the aliens from orbit), something happens with the aliens I didn't understand so they all get on their ship(off screen) and retreat from Earth. The two survivors get in a truck and... that's the last we see of them.

Anyway the movie truly ends with a whimper as it appears as though all they did was take a "special" effects shot from the beginning of the film and reverse the footage. Cheap movie-making has never looked better.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18663 on: June 09, 2019, 03:21:59 PM »
One such film I just watched this afternoon is the 1985 "horror" film called Evils of the night.

The guy that made this filmed even more sleazy footage with those mechanic guys, and using it along with reused footage from Evils of the night and an even older movie, all spliced together into a new movie called Evil Town, and as expected it is a complete train wreck.  Doubt that one would be suitable for Rifftrax, the new footage shot with the mechanics makes them rapists as well as murderers.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18664 on: June 09, 2019, 05:13:43 PM »
The guy that made this filmed even more sleazy footage with those mechanic guys, and using it along with reused footage from Evils of the night and an even older movie, all spliced together into a new movie called Evil Town, and as expected it is a complete train wreck.  Doubt that one would be suitable for Rifftrax, the new footage shot with the mechanics makes them rapists as well as murderers.
WOW. Yeah that would be like Sidehackers all over again.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #18665 on: June 09, 2019, 07:33:28 PM »
All Men Are Brothers ( 1975 )
One of the many alternative titles to the novel The Water Margin is All Men Are Brothers. So technically Shaw Brothers released a second movie claiming to be an adaption of the same novel. But it only covers the final chapters, specifically chapters 90 through 99 where the Liang Shan 108 battle Fang La, the leader of a rebellion who succeeded in capturing and becoming the Emperor of four provences if China during the Song dynasty.

The basic plot of the movie: the Emperor of China offers the 108 amnesty from all past crimes if they in turn wipe out all the rebel leaders. A brief montage takes care of the chapters skipped, mentioning how different heroes from the 108 were killed during campaigns against some of the other lesser rebel leaders and their armies. The movie quickly moves to the main event; the entire Liang Shan gang is sent to crush Fang La. But Fang lives in an impenetrable city, most of which is surrounded by water with an underwater sea gate making it impopssibl for the Liang Shan ships to attack. Seven heroes from the Liang Shan are sent into the city as spies in order to discover a way past the city's defenses. Unfortunately one of the seven us Black Whirlwind, a moronic warrior introduced in The Water Margin . Just as in the previous film where he blew a spy mission, The Black Whirlwind easily gets angry, pulling out his battle axes and yelling "The Black Whirlwind is here!" before mowing down a group of soldiers. Alerted to the presence of Liang Shan spies within the city walls, Fang La sends his own generals to track them down and kill or capture them. Most of the movie from that point on is different Liang Shan heroes sacrificing their lives, both as the spies  confront Fa La's generals one by one, or during the final assault on the city. One by one characters introduced in the previous films die, usually after defeating one of Fang La's generals, or helping open one of the gates. Shaw Brothers wanted to end the series with the deaths of most of the characters ( I assume more than than were killed in the novel, where about a third of the 108 survived and went into retirement in the final chapter. )

Some of the deaths seemed forced and unnecessary. The final two characters killed, both who had entire films with their origins, seem to get their mortal wounds out of carelessness. The entire series they were depicted as unstoppable fighters capable of single handedly defeating entire weapon carrying armies. But in the last ten minutes of this film they were suddenly vulnerable to even common foot soldiers.  Shaw Brothers didn't want to deal with the lame final chapter which would have showed each of the survivors either settling down as commoners  and starting a family, or becoming government officials.

The Missing Lady ( 1946 )
This week I also conclude the Shadow films. The Missing Lady. For the first time in the three Monogram films, Lamont Cranston is depicted as having powers. In the radio show and pulp novels, he is able to cloud the minds of people so they can't see him. However, they can still see his shadow, hence the name of his alter identity. In this movie there is no mention of his ability to cloud minds, but at the least he can finally turn invisible with only his shadow visible. The only problem is that Cranston barely turns into The Shadow. Just a couple of short scenes in the first half of the movie, then no Shadow character for the rest of the movie. Monogram was more interested in the Lamont Cranston character. It would be as if someone made a Batman film, and then spent most of the film showing Bruce Wayne solving the crime.

Other than that, Monogram made three decent noir mysteries using Cranston, which I am sure they wanted to model after the Thin Man series rather than the source material. The missing lady in the film is a small jade statue stolen from a murderer millionaire, which in turn goes missing. A group of unsavory characters are looking for the statue, as is Cranston, who had figured out the statue was stolen even though the family of the millionaire never reported it stolen to the police. The movie's only flaw is when it suddenly delves into plot convenience theater. While much of the action initially takes place in what is described as the rough part of town, it turns out two of the suspects have apartments in Lamont's building, including one who lives on the same floor and next door. In fact, as Lamont is about to walk into his apartment, he hears a scream from next door, and rushes in to discover the murder of one of the suspects. I am sure the all too convenient and coincidental arrangement of Lamont discovering two of the suspects live in his building was due to Monogram deciding it was cheaper than building any extra sets. But other than that, and the near absence of the Shadow himself, this was a decent who-done-it mystery which keeps you guessing until the ending when Cranston gathers the surviving characters in the same room and reveals the murderer as well as the location of the missing statue.

Invisible Avenger ( a.k.a.Bourbon Street Shadows ) ( 1958 )
This was originally a television pilot film that never aired with perhaps some additional footage to pad it out to a full hour for a theatrical release. according to Wikipedia, both pilots were combined into a single film. But the Shadow Movie Collection has this separate from the other half hour pilot. Beginning in the late 40s, popular radio series began making the transition to television, usually with the same actors. Some notable radio series that made successful transitions into popular television series included Gunsmoke, The Adventure of Superman, Dragnet and The Lone Ranger

As mentioned, The Shadow began as the spooky narrator for Detective Story Hour, an anthology series with different murder mysteries each week. The narrator became so popular that it inspired a pulp magazine character of the same name who fought crime as a mysterious vigilante. In 1937 the radio series abandoned the anthology format and began featuring stories about The Shadow, completely adopting the pulp magazine version of the character along with all of its mythos.  It would go on to become the most successful scripted series in radio history. [ NOTE: the first actor to portray Lamont Cranston a.k.a. The Shadow on radio was  Orson Welles ] But it failed to make the transition to television. It ended it's radio run in 1954.

Produced by Republic Pictures, Invisible Avenger is extremely low budget, shot entirely in New Orleans. None of the regular characters are in this movie, all replaced by a character called Jogendra, the mystic who taught Lamont his powers. And at least Lamont does have his powers. But his Shadow costume from the pulp novels is gone. Instead, Lamont occasionally turns himself invisible. So basically, the main character in this movie was Lamont Cranston, and The Shadow was once again almost non existent.

And that's why this series was never picked up by any of the networks. The radio series was all about The Shadow. The previous movies, the serial and the television pilots all failed to understand this and all downplayed or eliminated the Shadow character in favor of elevating Lamont Cranston to another Sherlock Holmes, which never worked. The Shadow was a crime fighter feared by criminals. Not Lamont Cranston. The more interesting character was abandoned. Fortunately the Shadow movie from the 90s got that part right.

I almost forgot to mention this movie's plot. A president of a South American country has fled to New Orleans after being overthrown in a coup by his general, who is currently the dictator of the country. The president wants to return to his country to motivate a revolution, and wants The Shadow to help him. Only knowing that Lamont Cranston somehow has the ability to contact The Shadow, the President meets with one of Cranston's old friends to ask for help. Later the friend calls Cranston, but is killed midway through the phone call. Cranston and Jogendra arrive in New Orleans to solve the friend's murder, and eventually to help the South American president reclaim his office. Although the President had specifically asked for the aid of The Shadow, Lamont never once acts as The Shadow, but occasionally turns invisible to evade a henchman of the General, and one time to sneak a look through the files of a car rental service that just refused him access. They may as well not bothered with the Shadow at all, as any television detective could have been the feature character in this movie.

Well, that's it for both The Water Margin and The Shadow. Next week we get back to some more current superhero films as I watch the first of the two most recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 357
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18666 on: June 09, 2019, 09:47:03 PM »
Next week we get back to some more current superhero films as I watch the first of the two most recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies.
I still stand by the first one. Its reputation sunk into kiddie silliness with the sequels, but, man, the first one is great. Every once in a while, I'll have a friend scoff at it. I can tell how well they don't remember it when they're surprised that I tell them it has some mild swearing in it along with some other not-really-aimed-at-kids stuff.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18667 on: June 09, 2019, 09:54:05 PM »
Looking back at the original TMNT movie 30 years later I guess I'd have to say yeah... it's alright. Don't know if I'd ever watch it again but it is probably going to be the best TMNT movie for now and the foreseeable future.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3113
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18668 on: June 10, 2019, 08:25:40 AM »
Had a busy movie weekend. I liked X-Men: Dark Phoenix and the haters can just deal. I thought the action scenes were some of the best the series has ever had.

Godzilla was fun, and that's all it needed to be. This is the closest an American Godzilla movie has ever come to feeling like a Japanese Godzilla movie, with all of the goofy pseudo-science and good and evil monsters. Also there's a neat easter-egg in the score whenever Mothra's doing her thing.

Now I just have to see the new Men in Black next week, Toy Story 4 the week after that, and of course Spider-Man the week after THAT, and then I'm kind of done with movies until December. This has been a busy summer-movie season but (for me at least) it's seriously front-loaded.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:27:20 AM by Pak-Man »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18669 on: June 10, 2019, 09:21:14 AM »
I was debating in my head next weekend since we have two solid contenders for who gets to have me buy a ticket to their movie: MIB International... or The Dead Don't Die. I love Bill Murray and Adam Driver... but I love Chris Hemmesworth and Tessa Thompson even more, so I think it's going to have to be MIB: Int'l.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5641
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18670 on: June 10, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »
Next week we get back to some more current superhero films as I watch the first of the two most recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies.
I still stand by the first one. Its reputation sunk into kiddie silliness with the sequels, but, man, the first one is great. Every once in a while, I'll have a friend scoff at it. I can tell how well they don't remember it when they're surprised that I tell them it has some mild swearing in it along with some other not-really-aimed-at-kids stuff.
It sounds like stethacantus is talking about the 2014 movie, not the 1990 one.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3113
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18671 on: June 10, 2019, 11:08:38 AM »
I'll stand up for the 2010s Turtle movies. I hate the designs as much as when I first saw them, but the film (especially the second, believe it or not) managed to capture the same sort of spirit and joy that I felt watching the old Turtles cartoons, which is surprising considering how successful the OTHER '80s series helmed by Michael Bay with character designs that I hate was.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 357
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18672 on: June 10, 2019, 03:10:49 PM »
I liked X-Men: Dark Phoenix and the haters can just deal.
Amen, brother!

It sounds like stethacantus is talking about the 2014 movie, not the 1990 one.
Oh wow. Yeah. I must've scrubbed those from my memory. Haha. Good luck, stethacantus. There's a 5min sequence in the first that's worth the price of admission, but that's about it imo. I even watched it on a Saturday matinee filled with 5-8 yr old boys. I still felt nothing. And the second, while bringing in some long-needed characters, was somehow not even half as good as the previous one. Bonus: Megan Fox deserves an award for trying the least of any actress in movie history. The way she's able to be disinterested in everything that's asked of her is astounding.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:12:48 PM by stansimpson »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18673 on: June 11, 2019, 08:54:35 AM »
Rifftrax: Laser Mission - I was SO disinterested in everything going on in this goddamn movie that honestly... I could care less. All I remember was Earnest Borgnine, a woman with big boobs... and that's about it. I did laugh a lot. To be fair I wasn't paying attention to a lot of it. Part of it reminded me of Ishtar... you know, because some of it took place in a desert not because it had Dustin Hoffman or Warren Beatty.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5641
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18674 on: June 11, 2019, 09:47:38 AM »
Rifftrax: Laser Mission - I was SO disinterested in everything going on in this goddamn movie that honestly... I could care less. All I remember was Earnest Borgnine, a woman with big boobs... and that's about it. I did laugh a lot. To be fair I wasn't paying attention to a lot of it. Part of it reminded me of Ishtar... you know, because some of it took place in a desert not because it had Dustin Hoffman or Warren Beatty.
Yeah, I remember being bored by that movie too. I do remember when the guy got shot in the back and just walked it off, he had BLACK BLOOD.