Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1538589 times)

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4352
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18240 on: October 01, 2018, 07:17:19 AM »
Doesn't help that the sequel was part of the show's earliest bad season.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5087
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18241 on: October 01, 2018, 03:55:20 PM »
Italian Spiderman

It's pretty delightful.  If you enjoyed Kung Fury or Danger 5 (which the creators of this internet show re-edited as a film would go on to create), you are probably going to enjoy Italian Spiderman.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UhHhXukovMU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UhHhXukovMU</a>

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 361
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #18242 on: October 02, 2018, 07:18:42 AM »
And it has one of my favorite gifs of all time:       

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 514
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18243 on: October 04, 2018, 07:16:44 PM »
Venom okay, so, was this as bad as most critics have been saying? That's a tough question to answer. The best way I can actually think to answer that question is by ranking it among other superhero movies. Was it better than 2015's Fant4stic? Hell yes. Was it better than Justice league? Yeah. Was it better than Spider-man 3? Yes, as in it was a better Venom ORIGIN story. At least Tom Hardy wasn't going down the street disco dancing then going into a club and slapping his girlfriend. I actually like this Eddie Brock, and it's definitely clear by the end that Venom is going to be the anti-hero we all know and love. It would be nice to see this Venom in a Spider-man movie.

Just a few other caveats... there is some rap music in the movie, and I don't mind the good kind by the Sugarhill Gang, I'm talking about the annoying kind that makes me want to cup my hands over my ears and scream until it's all over. The mid-credits scene was... really really good. But as for the one near the VERY end of the credits... don't waste your time. Unless you're into that whole "Into the Spider-verse" stuff. It felt REALLY out of place in the end credits to a movie about Venom.

So do I recommend it? Ehhhh, that's a hard question to answer. Sure, go ahead, but wait until it hits the dollar theater.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #18244 on: October 04, 2018, 10:20:33 PM »
I just got back from Venom too. Yeah, definitely not as bad as critics say. It's not great, but I had fun. Agreed about all your rankings. The buddy comedy of Venom and Eddie Brock is well done. Best part of the movie. Ya gotta wait ~30mins for it to get there though. And they still don't get comic-accurate Eddie Brock right (still much better than Topher Grace). Brock is supposed to be the anti-Peter Parker, but here, he's still kind of bumbling through. And 100% agreed on the two credit scenes. I loved the mid-credits scene more than your average fan. People were really hyping the after-credits which really upset me. Is it worth 10mins *after* the mid-credits scene to watch a commercial for a different movie?

Anyway, solid 6/10. Dollar theater or Redbox recommended.

The rap music never bothered me. I enjoyed Eminem and Run The Jewels during the end credits probably more than I should.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:25:46 PM by stansimpson »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18245 on: October 05, 2018, 02:06:19 AM »
It seems more like it's a comic book movie from 20 years ago, and not what we expect these days
FINE

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 366
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #18246 on: October 05, 2018, 04:42:59 PM »
Deadpool 2.  Really affirms my hatred of Deadpool.  In the first movie he was just overpowered and didn't actually face any credible challenges.  Boring.  In this one, at least the antagonists put up a fight.  But they tried to make all these emotional stakes by having him lose the love of his life and sacrifice his life to save the kid.  Except in the last 5 minutes they undercut absolutely everything.  So fuck Deadpool.  And fuck those stupid fake DVD covers he's been on.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4352
« Reply #18247 on: October 05, 2018, 05:22:29 PM »
Deadpool 2.  Really affirms my hatred of Deadpool.  In the first movie he was just overpowered and didn't actually face any credible challenges.  Boring.  In this one, at least the antagonists put up a fight.  But they tried to make all these emotional stakes by having him lose the love of his life and sacrifice his life to save the kid.  Except in the last 5 minutes they undercut absolutely everything.  So fuck Deadpool.  And fuck those stupid fake DVD covers he's been on.
There was still a fight or so he had to escape from in the first or gave him trouble.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 514
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18248 on: October 05, 2018, 06:18:34 PM »
Yeah and Deadpool totally broke his fists and his ankle when he was trying to kick Collossus's ass.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18249 on: October 06, 2018, 02:09:24 AM »
There was still a fight or so he had to escape from in the first or gave him trouble.

What?  I can't parse this sentence.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Online Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18250 on: October 06, 2018, 02:03:18 PM »
Venom - This was pretty bad. I can't say I'm terribly disappointed in it since the reviews have been mostly middling to negative so far. And I don't like the idea of making a movie about a villain without the hero. For the record I never liked what I read of the Venom comic where he was an anti-hero, either. What few positives, Tom Hardy, the Venom design, a little of the action, are far overshadowed by everything else which isn't good. I didn't even really find it "so bad it's funny" either. It's mostly just boring, especially the first third before Venom even shows up.
While I did praise the Venom design as one of the positives, it doesn't help that an all black character is filmed mostly at night. Why the hell would you do that?! The fight scenes at the end are made even more incomprehensible by the fact that the design of Venom and Riot are almost identical. Why couldn't they have used the yellow symbiote for the villain? They had it right there. The movie also never explains why the villain symbiote has abilities to make weapons and Venom doesn't. I don't know if that was a thing from the comics, but it just seemed odd in the movie.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18251 on: October 06, 2018, 09:20:13 PM »
Two on Netflix this evening that couldn't be more different in quality.

A Wrinkle In Time (2018)

What a mess of a movie, terrible pacing, bad acting by all the adults, only thing good actors were the kids.  And I guess the visual effects were cool to look at.  It was laughably bad in a few spots, so it has that appeal.

Black Panther (2018)

Great movie, just terrific from start to finish.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #18252 on: October 07, 2018, 12:15:48 AM »
A Wrinkle In Time (2018)

What a mess of a movie, terrible pacing, bad acting by all the adults, only thing good actors were the kids.  And I guess the visual effects were cool to look at.  It was laughably bad in a few spots, so it has that appeal.

I agree it's not great, but I also think we're probably not the movie's demographic (despite it's marketing desire to appeal for broad audiences). Seemed like a typical (albeit expensive) movie you'd find on The Disney Channel. I mean, it's at least competent. I put it on the same ground as, say, High School Musical.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18253 on: October 07, 2018, 06:48:08 AM »
A Star is Born

You may have seen commercials for it.  It's a remake of some old movie.  This one stars Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga.  It sort of shows her rise to stardom at the same time as his decline.  It was really boring. First because the romance between the two leads made no sense.  Second because the movie just alternated between "somebody singing in front of a crowd" and "Bradley Cooper stumbling around drunk" over and over for two hours.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18254 on: October 07, 2018, 07:56:55 AM »
A Wrinkle In Time (2018)

I agree it's not great, but I also think we're probably not the movie's demographic (despite it's marketing desire to appeal for broad audiences). Seemed like a typical (albeit expensive) movie you'd find on The Disney Channel. I mean, it's at least competent. I put it on the same ground as, say, High School Musical.

I realize it was aimed at kids, but do you think any kids liked it?  I think it would be even more boring for kids.  Unless they were really aiming for the under 5 year old age range, not sure that's a good demographic to aim for in a big budget movie...