login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1586600 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18180 on: August 20, 2018, 06:30:30 PM »
What still amazes me is that despite CGI being in it's infancy back then, somehow the crew on this film made every effect, the Aliens, the Spaceships... all look REAL.
No CGI was used on Close Encounters, it was all practical effects.   Those are real models shot on 70mm film so when they were combined with the 35mm live action they would be sharp and blend in as if they were real.
Spielberg had a test reel made using CGI but decided it didn't look good enough.
See I thought that was the case. I'd watched the documentary on the making of Close encounters a number of times but I didn't remember whether or not CGI had been used for the UFO's.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #18181 on: August 20, 2018, 07:17:06 PM »
I watched it with Mom and when it just ended she was shocked.  "That's it?"  I did explain that there was a resolution with the mother character, which she expected, but it does seem too uneventful and/or lacking in payoff for a climax and too long if it is an epilogue.

We wanted to film an ending with birds on the bridge, but it was too expensive apparently?
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18182 on: August 22, 2018, 10:49:36 AM »
I bought Deadpool 2 from my local store yesterday and watched it. I haven't gotten around to the Super Duper Cut yet though. I'm not sure there's a hell of a lot I can say about the film that hasn't already been said. On the scale of recommendations though from rent it to buy it, i would say buy it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18183 on: August 22, 2018, 12:59:42 PM »
I bought Deadpool 2 from my local store yesterday and watched it. I haven't gotten around to the Super Duper Cut yet though. I'm not sure there's a hell of a lot I can say about the film that hasn't already been said. On the scale of recommendations though from rent it to buy it, i would say buy it.
Thanks, I forgot that came out already! I'll have to pick it up tonight.
Is the Super Duper Cut on the regular BluRay, or do you have to get that specific one?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #18184 on: August 22, 2018, 01:52:43 PM »
Is the Super Duper Cut on the regular BluRay, or do you have to get that specific one?
AFAIK the blu-ray version should include the Super Duper Cut. The packaging on the front should tell you right away if it has both blu-ray discs, one for the theatrical cut and the other for the SDC.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #18185 on: August 22, 2018, 03:10:03 PM »
AFAIK the blu-ray version should include the Super Duper Cut. The packaging on the front should tell you right away if it has both blu-ray discs, one for the theatrical cut and the other for the SDC.

The blu-ray we got has both versions. Disc one is the theatrical cut and all the bonus featurettes, disc two is the extended cut.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #18186 on: August 22, 2018, 04:04:12 PM »
How much longer is the new cut?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #18187 on: August 22, 2018, 06:19:07 PM »
About 15 minutes. A few places it's obvious extended scenes, but also a few places just have alternate lines and takes, enough that I'm going to end up going back and forth between them because I like some the theatrical cut parts better.

Kind of like how the longer cut of Army of Darkness is overall a better movie, but it changes the best line.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #18188 on: August 25, 2018, 06:31:15 PM »
Birth of the Living Dead (2013)
Documentary about the making of and impact of the “Night of the Living Dead” told mostly through interviews with George Romero and others not really associated with the making of the movie.
It was OK, but Ballyhoo! likely would have done a much better job. The only revelatory thing to me was that the only reason it became a public domain film was because the original name was “Night of the Flesh Eaters” but when the distributor changed the name to “Night of the Living Dead” they forgot to put the little circled copyright “C” next to the title. Seems like a pretty BS reason for a movie to not be considered copyrighted.   

Rocktober Blood (1984)
Was trying to figure out what to watch tonight and found this title when researching for obscure bad movies. Watched it via a VHS rip that someone had posted to youtube (quality very watchable except for some of the darker nighttime scenes in the middle). Stars band members and features music by the band Sorcery (Never heard of them, but apparently they were somewhat popular in the late 70s and early 80s. They had magicians perform magic on the stage with them as they were playing and were featured in a kind of a fake documentary/concert film in the late 70s and appeared on a couple of Dick Clark TV specials and made some other TV appearances in the 80s.)
I was expecting a “Rock N Roll Nightmare” type flick and kind of got that. It starts out strong with about the most generic sounding 80s heavy metal band imaginable recording their new album. And then the lead singer kills a couple of people for no apparent reason (might have been other members of the band- not really sure as they didn’t do much to distinguish any of the characters throughout the movie). Jump ahead a period of time and the lead singer was convicted of murder and executed and the female backup singer for the generic heavy metal band is now the lead singer and is preparing for the big Rocktober show and gets interviewed by a VJ from MVTV. Everything up to that point was entertaining and very, very 80s-ish. Then we don’t get the Rocktober show right away and instead jump to the new female lead singer (I think, not really sure as there were multiple female characters, but I really couldn’t tell one from another) in a house with another girl and several people get killed by the lead singer who is back from the dead and it drags and drags until we get a twist. By that point I didn’t care about the twist and was about ready to give up on it when we cut to the Rocktober show ending, which is awesome in a Spinal Tap kind of way and almost makes up for the big drag in the middle.   
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 07:01:32 PM by wihogfan »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18189 on: August 25, 2018, 07:57:13 PM »
Silent Running (1972)
Hadn’t seen it since I saw it on TV as a kid and I remembered liking it (but I liked almost all sci-fi movies and TV shows as a youngster).
I enjoyed the practical special effects, although the short squatty bots walking around on 2 legs seemed a pretty impractical way for them to get around. It was very slow moving (all premise with very little plot) and the environmental message wasn’t subtle at all. The terrible Joan Baez-ish hippy songs (might have been actual Joan Baez) scattered throughout made me want to plunge long needles into my ears.
Would have been better if it was done as a comedy, the bots could talk, and everything in the movie was just a wrap around for the riffing of another movie. 

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18190 on: August 26, 2018, 07:32:15 AM »
My feeling is that Silent Running is pretty preachy from the beginning, then gets a LOT better once it reaches its second act with the story of this one lonely dude trying to keep the last garden alive.

Keanu

This was a largely really fun movie looking at code switching and has some fun and occasionally moments that are surprisingly potent (even though the film is a goofy comedy, at one point a character gets a little too into character and it is surprisingly intense.  I feel like some of the jokes are the kinds of things we've seen many times and the Anna Faris cameo makes less sense to me following one of the films final reveals.  But if this was truly the last hurrah of Key and Peele (since Jordan Peele stated he'd rather stop acting and focus on directing), it's a really good one.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #18191 on: August 26, 2018, 11:07:52 AM »
The Bloody Fists ( 1972 )
This week I decided to pick a film at random, basically closing my eyes and putting my pointing fingers on a DVD on the shelf. What I picked was The Bloody Fists, an independent film which is only remembered for being one of the first films Woo Ping choreographed the fights in. The star is Chen Sing, a martial arts star who is memorable simply because he was the lead in a lot of successful independent films. In this film he plays a notorious bandit wanted by the law, who's signature move is to begin combing his hair when confronted by enemies, then break the comb in half after which he attacks. Hunted by the police, he takes refuge in a small village. The farmers there grow something called Dragon Herb, which has the ability to cure sickness, and more important, somehow stop famine. When famine hits North China, they send one of their farmers to aquire the Dragon Herb. However, the Japanese also want the Dragon Herb because they don't want the famine cured and want the Chinese to starve. And since the village is still in an occupied part of China, send a group of their evil Karate masters to take over the town and force the farmers to tell them where they are hiding the Dragon Herb. Being a wanted man, Chen doesn't want to get involved, and plans to leave town after he has recovered from a bout of plague ( which is cured by Dragon Herb tea ). But after the Japanese have killed one too many villagers, including the kindly old man who nursed Chen back to health, he realizes defeating the Japanese is his patriotic duty, and has a comb breaking final showdown with them on the beach.

This movie has every cliche you'd expect from a 70s anti Japanese martial arts film. There is the traitorous Chinese collaborator, the Judo expert with the Hitler mustache ( a not very subtle reminder as to who the Japanese we're allied with around this time ), the Karate expert who rapes and kills Chinese girls, and even continues raping them after he has killed them, and last but not least, a town full of heroic Chinese villagers who refuse to give in to the Japanese demands even upon torture or facing execution. Chen Kuan Tai, who a year later would become a major star at Shaw Brothers, plays the long haired leader of the Japanese. This genre of martial arts film has never really worked outside of China. While it is clear the Japanese in these movies are evil villains who must be stopped, only the Chinese had enough hatred of the Japanese for their occupation of China during WWII that they would take a film like this seriously. I could even imagine them cheering screen every time a character did or said something heroic. For the rest of us these films were over the top and cartoonish. So I could never appreciate this film as much as the Chinese did. It is still a pretty good film despite the fights being far below the standards Woo Ping would set for his choreography only a couple of years later.

Witchblade ( 2000)
As I am getting close to completing my Superhero movie collection, I continue to scrape the bottom of the barrel. Witchblade was originally a television movie for TNT. Soon after there were two seasons of a Witchblade television series for the same network. Now here is the problem. The movie is not sold separately. You have to buy the entire Witchblade series to get it.

It is an above standard television movie which is basically the pilot for the series that would come a year later. The basic plot, a woman police detective goes after a suspect in a museum, and during the shootout ends up with one of the artifacts on her arm. A sort of glove called a Witchblade that not only deflects bullets and occasional produces blades of varying lengths, but also gives her supernatural powers.

The Story of Mankind ( 1957 )
You would this that when I finished watching the Marx Brothers Paramount Films set last week I would be done with the Marx Brothers. But I still have three other films.
 Humor Risk ( 1921 ) was the Brothers first film, and their only silent movie. It went missing just before it was set to be released. One legend has it that Groucho set the only print on fire after watching a screening. And is it any wonder. The silent movie is a vastly  inappropriate medium  for the Marx Brothers, where you wouldn't hear Chico's fake Italian accent, or any of Groucho's puns, and you could not tell that Harpo was silent on a movie where everyone is silent. If by some miracle a print of this film does turn up and is released on home media, I would gladly add it to my Marx Brothers collection.
The House That Shadows Built ( 1931 ) was a Paramount short the Brothers made a guest appearance in. As far as I know the entire film has never been released on home video, yet. That leaves The Story of Mankind which is considered by some to be the final Marx Brothers film as all three are in it.

Except that while Chico, Harpo and Groucho are all in this movie, they are all in separate scenes. This was the first feature film directed by Irwin Allen, who would become a sensation two decades later for directing many successful disaster movies. What this movie had in common with those disaster films was an all star cast. Allen pulled this off by casting actors in scenes no longer than two minutes, and could all be shot within a couple of hours. Allen used existing back lot sets, leftover costumes and props from other films, a tons of stock footage culled from past Warner Bros historical epics. In the film, Heaven finds out that man has invented the Super-H bomb, capable of blowing up the entire planet. So a tribunal is held to determine if they should interfere and prevent the bomb from exploding, or allow man to destroy themselves. Vincent Price plays Scratch, a.k.a.The Devil, who is advocating to allow man's destruction. Ronald Colman plays a character called The Spirit of Man who advocates for man to be saved. Both Scratch and TSOM are permitted to make their cases, and are both given the ability to time travel so they each can show historical examples that will bolster their arguments.

As I said, the three Marx Brothers are in separate scenes. Chico has the shortest role as the father of Christopher Columbus. Groucho plays the diplomat who bought Manhattan Island for $24. And Harpo plays Sir Issac Newton. Chico is not given any funny lines, and I suspected Allen cast him in that tiny part after he got both Groucho and Harpo in the cast. Groucho's part is the longest of the three. He is given a lot of Groucho style one liners, none of which are funny. Harpo is giving a Harp, barely playing a couple of notes before an apple drops on his head. Predictably his character doesn't talk, and like Groucho, isn't funny. At least since this film was Technicolor, you got to see Harpo's hair color for the first and only time. While not identified as The Marx Brothers, they are given third, fourth and fifth billing, which I am sure was done so that patrons would assume this was another Marx Brothers film.

This is one of the films listed in the book The Fifty Worst Films of All Time ( And How They Got That Way ). As I have already mention, while that book was the first major all time worst list, and was the first to identify films like Robot Monster ( 1953 ) and Santa Claus Conquers the Martians ( 1964 ) which have been on every worst movie list ever since, not every movie belonged in that book. Certainly not The Omen ( 1976 ). While this film failed when it came to it's Marx Brothers cameos, I couldn't call it bad. Cheap perhaps with all the stock footage, a rip-off for the major Hollywood stars in the cast who got top billing to only appear on screen in cameos, got a lot of historical facts wrong and an ending that would piss anyone off. But it passed my ultimate test on if a film is bad. It never had me wanting to check the counter to see how much time it had left. Amazingly, where in all rights this film should have dragged, it never felt like it did. Perhaps due to none of the scenes being on screen for more than a couple of minutes.

And unless The House That Shadows Built ever gets a home video release, this movie completes my Marx Brothers movie collection. Although I am not quite done yet. Next week I will be watching one of Groucho's solo films. There are a few other of their solo films out there which I intend to eventually add to the collection, but I am in no hurry to do that. The summer of Marx Brothers movies, which began Memorial Day weekend, ends this Labor Day weekend. Something I had never planned, but just happen on the spur of the moment on discovering the MGM box set was going OOP.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:12:57 AM by stethacantus »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18192 on: August 27, 2018, 01:32:09 PM »
Black Cougar (2002)
I knew it was a low budget super hero movie made by a guy from Jersey starring a lot of his relatives and that a lot of people who had seen it liked it, but I intentionally avoided reading much else about it before seeing it myself. And I don’t want to spoil it for anyone else other than to say I highly recommend it as a good bad movie.
First thoughts were that I was happy that the bad acting at least appeared to be honest bad acting (i.e., not acting badly on purpose) but that I might be in for a long slog without any riffing. And then 10 minutes or so in we get a training montage with an awesomely bad theme song and I was entertained the rest of the way through- far more entertained than by any of the Marvel super hero movies.

I was a Zombie for the FBI (1982)
Ultra-low budget black and white movie filmed by students at Memphis State University. I think they were trying to mimic those old black and white serials as the movie featured title cards that explained what was going on at various “chapters” in the movie. If I was more interested in the movie, I might have been thankful for those explanations because without them I would have had no idea what was going on at any point in the movie. Positives were that it didn’t linger on any one scene for more than about 30 seconds before cutting to the next scene of people talking and what special effects were there were OK for what they were (not great or impressive, but I’ve seen far worse in movies made for more than the $27,000 budget of this one). But the negatives (primarily that I was just bored watching it) outweighed the few positives for me.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18193 on: August 27, 2018, 02:16:20 PM »
Dead Space (1991)
Alien rip off about a killer virus monster on a space station. Supposedly a remake of Mutant (1982).
Stars Bryan Cranston as one of the leads. The space ship exteriors all look a bit model-y and the virus monster at times looks like a model on wheels and at other times forces the actors to mimic the Ed Wood octopus. Can’t recommend it as it does nothing good or bad enough to distinguish itself from the 100s of other movies with similar plots that came before and after.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18194 on: August 27, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »
Forbidden World (1982) aka Mutant
I almost didn’t watch this after reading that Dead Space (1991) was a remake of it. While both are Alien ripoffs, if I hadn’t read that that the later was a remake of the former, I wouldn’t have known it as this one is a much more blatant rip-off of Alien (more closely stealing a number of scenes). Yes, they're both similar, but not any more similar than a lot of other Alien knockoffs.
This was far superior to Dead Space. The exterior space ship shots that were original to this movie were worse than the ones Dead Space, but the monster effects were much better. (Not all of the exterior space ships shots were original though as some were ripped from other Corman movies.) A couple of the gotcha jump scares even made me jump. This was fun bad where Dead Space was boring bad.