login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1540183 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 64
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #18105 on: June 24, 2018, 10:43:07 PM »
Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance ( 2002 )
I had been meaning to eventually buy the Vengeance Trilogy. Recently I got word the first part was about to go out of print, so it moved up in my queue.  It's a good film with excellent cinematography,  but not the action film I had hoped it to be. The Vengeance Trilogy is usually cited among the best Asian action  films of the past 20 years.  But there is a difference between a film considered great because of great action scenes, and a great drama that technically counts as an action film. Case in point is Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai which is technically a martial arts film, ( In 1984 Ric Meyers listed it as one of the 10 greatest martial arts films of all time, ) but only has a few action scenes, all of which are crowded battles with very little choreography.  Most of that film's running time is characters talking to each other. ( A great film though. If you haven't seen Seven Samurai yet then I suggest you add it to your Netflix list. )

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance follows a poor deaf factory worker who's sister is dying and needs a kidney transplant. He would like to give her one of his kidneys, but they are not compatible. Desperate, he contacts  underground organ dealers who demand he pay them his entire life savings of $10,000 and donate one of his own kidneys. But instead he wakes up naked and abandoned in an abandoned warehouse. Soon after his sister's doctor tells him a compatible kidney has been found for his sister, but he will need to pay $10,000 for the operation. And the only way to raise the money that fast is for him to kidnap the daughter of a rich man and demand a ransom.  Needless to say things go wrong all around, and all the characters end up killing each other in acts of vengeance.  The little action here is of the sort where a character walks up behind another and knocks him out cold.  The next film in the trilogy, Oldboy, does have a fight scene which many have called one of the greatest fight scenes ever filmed.  Then again, they have said that about a lot of other fight scenes, some which I was not blown away by. So we shall see.

Sgt. Kabukiman N.Y.P.D. ( 1990 )
I got through the Brett Kelly superhero films. Now I am getting through the nowhere as bad but still bad Troma superhero films. After this I still have one, maybe two Asylum films, an Air Buddies film that unfortunately qualifies as a superhero film, a couple of Roger Corman films, and some Power Rangers movies and I am basically done with the worst of the worst superhero movies. Sure, still a few films that got poor reviews like Justice League, but not any films that would have me wanting to grab the remote and hurl it through the screen.

This movie runs for an inexcusable 105 minutes. And damnit, for me it lasted two and a half hours as I zoned out twice due to being bored nearly to sleep, and had to rewind it twice to re-watch the scenes I missed. It wasn't worth it though. The plot:  A  theater with a Kabuki performance is attacked by gunmen. The lead actor was suppose to pass down the mantle of Kabukiman to his successor, but instead the dying actor passes his powers to a bumbling police detective, who  is confused when he keeps turning into Kabukiman. Eventually the daughter of the slain former Kabukiman visits him and agrees to train him in how to use his newfound powers.  Of course there is also a villain and his henchmen. In this case the villain, a Trump like real estate developer, wants to use a prophecy to turn himself into the ultimate evil, a sort of demon like creature with unlimited powers. Which all builds up to a brief anticlimatic ending. Possibly cut short due to the sun coming up, as the final shots in what was suppose to be taking place at midnight are in early morning daylight.

I know that Troma has a loyal following of fans who love these films, who I suspect are mostly 12 year old boys who have never seen an R rated movie before. But I really didn't like this at all. At least the Toxic Avengers films had enough gore to keep you interested. The best description of Kabukiman the superhero is a cross between The Mask and Pumaman.  And if not for the mind numbing boredome of the Brett Kelly superhero films, this movie would be tied with Toxic Avenger Part II as the worst superhero films I have ever seen.

At The Circus ( 1939 )
The Marx Brothers had it lucky at MGM. They were basically out of the film business when Duck Soup underperformed at the box office, Paramount decided to end their contract with the brothers as they believed their style of comedy was no longer commercial. Zeppo officially left the act, deciding instead to be a talent agent. It looked like the end for the Marx Brothers, when Chico saved the day. He had become friends with Irving Thalberg, who during a card game told Chico that he knew why Duck Soup had failed. The Marx Brothers comedies were too manic, almost plotless  and not well structured. Having their scripts follow his patented formula, they were sure to be hits.

So Thalberg ended up signing The Marx Brothers. Zeppo was not interested in returning, so Allen Jones took his parts. With the Thalberg formula, A Night At The Opera and A Day At The Races were both huge hits. Even more amazing, Thalberg allowed them to develop and write their own material, a freedom the studio refused to give to other comedians who were expected to use whatever script the studio handed them. That freedom ended midway through the filming of A Day At The Races when Thalberg suddenly died.  The brothers realized that they were now at the mercy of a studio that could hand them any old script. Something that must have sunk in when they discovered Buster Keaton working at the studio as a gag writer. When the Marx Brothers first broke into motion pictures at Paramount, Buster was still a major star who rivaled Charlie Chaplin as the wolds greatest screen comedian.  Keaton managed to wrangle creative control over his first M.G.M. film, The Cameraman. But although it was a huge hit, M.G.M. refuse to allow him creative control on any of his next films. Keaton had to fight to get his own material into his own films, of which M.G.M. would allow less and less. Eventually they came up with the great idea of turning Keaton into the sidekick of Jimmy Durante. Watching the studio piss away his comedic reputation with increasingly weaker material, Keaton turned to drink, and eventually became an alcoholic, which in turn caused M.G.M. to fire him.  After making low budget two reelers for Educational and Columbia which only further sank his reputation, Keaton ended up back at M.G.M., only as a lowly gag writer. The Marx Brothers definitely didn't want the same thing happening to them. So hey left M.G.M.

They tried their luck at R.K.O. who adapted the Broadway play Room Service for them. Had the film been a hit, the Marx Brothers were prepared to  from then on adapt other Broadway comedies. But instead it bombed. That is when producer Mervin LeRoy ,who at the time was producing The Wizard of Oz lured them back to M.G.M. with once again the promise of creative control over their films.  However, this would end up the only film he produced for them.

While by far better than Room Service, At The Circus just isn't as funny as the previous two M.G.M. films. But it does have the debut of Groucho's signature song Lydia the Tattooed Lady. Unfortunately the rest of the songs in this musical comedy are nowhere as memorable, and are downright annoying.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 517
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18106 on: June 25, 2018, 05:29:17 PM »
Incredibles 2
I dreaded this when it was announced because I consider the first to be one of the greatest animated films of all time, but it was fantastic. It didn't have a whole lot to say, and the movie's two plotlines seem fairly disconnected from eachother, but I don't think there has ever been superhero action done this well. It honestly made the MCU stuff look like trash. It was absolutely thrilling, and surprisingly funny, too. I wanted to watch it again the second it was over.
That's a very bold statement you're making there Quirk. However, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I find myself that much more engrossed in a movie when I'm watching something live action as opposed to something animated. Now don't get me wrong, animated shows like Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Batman: TAS and Superman: TAS all have their good points. I have seen the original Incredibles and I was just... not that impressed. I just didn't feel that much of an emotional connection with them. See, for me I think it's more of a comedy/family film first, and being a superhero movie second. But every time I watch a movie from the MCU(with very few exceptions), regardless of how much it jokes around, those films imho are about heroes first and comedy takes a back seat(yes, even in movies like Ant-man or Thor: Ragnarok). What I dig about the MCU is how rich of a story arc and mythology they've created across almost 20 movies so far. THAT is impressive and it really took until 2013 with The Winter Soldier that I felt confident that I could actually take a character like Captain America seriously. That was kind of the case with the first Cap film in 2011 but I believed it to a much greater extent with it's sequel.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5090
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18107 on: June 25, 2018, 05:35:51 PM »
Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance ( 2002 )
I had been meaning to eventually buy the Vengeance Trilogy. Recently I got word the first part was about to go out of print, so it moved up in my queue.  It's a good film with excellent cinematography,  but not the action film I had hoped it to be.

I haven't seen Lady Vengeance, but Oldboy and Sympathy aren't action movies so much as violent thrillers.  But Oldboy does have a few fight scenes (and yes, the hammer hallway fight is incredible).

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3786
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #18108 on: June 29, 2018, 11:20:55 AM »
Watched Rogue 1 last night with my GF and she loved it!
She even thought they did a good job holding to the original trilogy and loved governor Tarkin :o
She hasn't seen 7 or 8 yet and I told her not to keep her expectations as high with ep 7 or 8 :-\

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
« Reply #18109 on: June 29, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »
Tau (2018)
Netflix Original sci-fi movie.
Wow. Really, really terrible. Cliche after cliche- 2 examples: evil genius who explains his evil plan to the one person he shouldn't explain it to and a house with a self destruct mechanism that you know as soon as it's identified as such in Act 2 that it will be used to end the movie in the final act. Special effects were really pretty good until the last 15 minutes when they devolved into SyFy channel movie CGI bad. Would be very riffable.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4363
« Reply #18110 on: June 29, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »
And it has nothing to do with Warhammer 40k?

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18111 on: June 29, 2018, 05:26:51 PM »
And it has nothing to do with Warhammer 40k?
No. Basic plot is an evil tech genius kidnaps a woman and forces her to solve puzzles because that somehow is something he needs done in order to program an AI. Puzzle solving is talked about but never shown (so not a "Saw" type scenerio)  and how that's integral to the process is never explained.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18112 on: June 30, 2018, 07:06:29 AM »
Mission: Impossible III

Good, but needed more Phillip Seymor Hoffman.  Like, not too much more, but a little more.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 517
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #18113 on: June 30, 2018, 11:02:24 AM »
This is going to sound a little unusual because it's not the typical kind of thing I'd see in the movies. I went to see Bandstand, a Broadway musical. It takes place in 1945 and the plot centers around these guys who served in the army, the navy and the marines who form a band to share their experiences in the war. One of the guys wants to take it a step further. He meets the widow of a buddy of his who died in the war and he convinces the widow to sing for their band. Ultimately, it's an emotional play but I can't help but feel that this kind of play would mean so much more to people who were actually IN combat who came back and are lonely, confused or otherwise suffering from something that changed them for the worse.

Things in the play go about the way you might expect. it hits the right emotional beats. There's some good drama, there's some good emotion, but I still feel like something was missing. Again, I've gotta think that something is lacking but maybe it's on my part because I wasn't there to experience what all those service men did overseas.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #18114 on: July 01, 2018, 11:00:12 PM »
Oldboy ( 2003 )
The second film in Park Chan Wook's Vengeance trilogy. I can't really talk about this film without spoiling something, so instead I will talk about the hallway scene which has in the past decade been called one of the greatest screen fights ever filmed. Well, I mean, it is a decent scene. But even just counting Korean films, I wouldn't rank it in their top ten. It reminded me a lot of the alleyway fight from the Shaw Brothers classic Man of Iron ( 1972 ),  which itself was a sequel to another Shaw Brothers classic Boxer From Shantung, released the same year. ( If you look up both films, be warned; everyone dies in the first film, and the reason the second can be called a sequel is because it takes place on the same street years later.  ) Despite not being staged as a uncut single shot, I would still consider the fight from Man of Iron superior. What is similar about the two was the tone, along with a hero who during many moments in the battle appears to be on the verge of defeat, only to summons up the willpower to stand up and continue fighting.

Okay, so maybe the hallway fight may not be the greatest ever, but it is still an awesome film full of sick twists. Although once again not really an action film. The hallway fight aside, scenes that should lead up to an action sequence end abruptly. For example, the climactic confrontation between the hero and the villain has the villain's henchmen attack, but the fight takes place off screen and we only see the aftermath.

RoboCop ( 1987 )
The good news is that after weeks of shit, I am finally back to watching a great superhero film. Or at least a film Wikipedia has classified as an American superhero film, so is going into my collection. RoboCop has dated since it's initial release, but despite that still holds up.

Go West ( 1940 )
While I am sure Room Service will end up being the weakest film in the Marx Brothers set, Go West is not far behind. I found myself barely laughing at anything. The script spends way to much time on the romantic sub plot. Two routines do stand out. One where Chico and Harpo swindle con man Groucho out of his money by continuously asking for change of a 10 dollar bill. And the climax,  Where the brothers hacking apart the cars of a train to turn the wood into fuel.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #18115 on: July 02, 2018, 04:55:47 AM »
The Korean thriller Office is a movie I wanted to like a lot more than I did.  The premise is an office worker comes home one night, kills his family, then returns to his office and... disappears.  It's not a bad movie but disappointingly generic by the end.  I guess I was hoping it would be really weird (perhaps even science fiction-y) or perhaps have a John Carpenter tone to it, but by the end, I felt the main antagonist to be a bit dull and hollow.  And while it tries hard to convey "Hey, working in an office can be horror, am I right?", I feel it didn't follow through on this premise enough.  The lead actress is pretty good, I just wish she was given a better film.  A lot of promise in some of the build-up, a couple really tense scenes, but I really can't recommend this one.  But now I want a really good office politics horror movie.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #18116 on: July 02, 2018, 12:34:53 PM »
The Endless (2017)
Ultra low budget flick that was described as scifi horror. Plot- 2 brothers who had left a cult go back to the cult- didn't interest me much- but I watched it based on good reviews.
I'm willing to overlook a lot in low and ultra low budget movies if they have an original plot and are well acted. The acting was mostly good and the plot was more original than I was anticipating based on the synapsis. Lot of talking in the first hour, but I was interested in trying to guess where it was going and was never bored. Then the last 40 minutes devolved into a bunch of absurdity about an unseen (and never shown) monster (would have been fine without seeing it if it was explained and/or had a reason for existing) and time loops. So last 40 minutes spent more than the good will that the first hour earned. Not bad enough to recommend for a laugh, but bad enough to not recommend.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18117 on: July 02, 2018, 12:51:23 PM »
The Endless (2017)
Ultra low budget flick that was described as scifi horror. Plot- 2 brothers who had left a cult go back to the cult- didn't interest me much- but I watched it based on good reviews.
I'm willing to overlook a lot in low and ultra low budget movies if they have an original plot and are well acted. The acting was mostly good and the plot was more original than I was anticipating based on the synapsis. Lot of talking in the first hour, but I was interested in trying to guess where it was going and was never bored. Then the last 40 minutes devolved into a bunch of absurdity about an unseen (and never shown) monster (would have been fine without seeing it if it was explained and/or had a reason for existing) and time loops. So last 40 minutes spent more than the good will that the first hour earned. Not bad enough to recommend for a laugh, but bad enough to not recommend.
I think I saw some recommendations for this too. They compared it to Lovecraft. At least in terms of what the cult was worshiping.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 366
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #18118 on: July 02, 2018, 04:31:55 PM »
The Help was an interesting movie about the plight of blacks during the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s.  I thought it was kind of spoiled in the 2nd half with the pie with poop baked into it.  That seems so juvenile.  Also, how did Hilly not notice the smell or taste?  I can't imagine diluting poop enough to cover it up like that.

200 Degrees which was sort of like a low rent direct to video knockoff of Saw.  There were no complex death traps, but there was a guy locked in a room, kidnapped and at the mercy of a spooky voice.  Basically, a stock broker is locked in a room with a bunch of heat lamps and the kidnapper threatens to turn up the heat and burn him to death if he doesn't give him a million bucks.  It's got a bunch of people you never heard of and the whole thing takes place in one room.  It wouldn't even make good Rifftrax material because it's so bland and unchanging.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #18119 on: July 05, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - I enjoyed it for what it was: dumb popcorn entertainment. Lots of characters do stupid things just to further the plot. It's really just a retread of the second movie. And while there are more dinosaurs running amok than in that film, it still manages to feel like a smaller film because it's all contained in one building rather than out in a city. Hopefully we do get more city and suburb mayhem in the next movie. I didn't hate it, but I get why so many reviewers did.
Also, it seemed like the director really wanted to make a horror movie rather than a dinosaur action movie.