login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1426344 times)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 339
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17760 on: January 10, 2018, 07:10:45 PM »
That sounds really weird.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 58
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17761 on: January 11, 2018, 01:27:22 PM »
Meet the Feebles (1989)

This early Peter Jackson film was not at all what I was expecting.  It's basically an R-rated satire of the Muppets complete with variety show musical numbers and in some ways it was ahead of its time.  The practical special effects and puppeteer work are actually quite impressive considering how low budget it is and there's a huge cast of puppets.    The dark, irreverent and often gross humor works surprisingly well despite how bizarre it is seeing children's puppets working with such adult oriented material.  While I wouldn't recommend it to fans of his modern work it certainly fits in with his other splatter era work and it's an interesting look at his early career.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 339
« Reply #17762 on: January 11, 2018, 02:24:37 PM »
Yeah it's definitely closer to Bad Taste than Heavenly Creatures that's for sure! I think I struggled to get through it back in the day.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2379
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17763 on: January 11, 2018, 04:51:47 PM »
Yeah, complete garbage IMO.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5315
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17764 on: January 13, 2018, 01:29:53 PM »
Bright (2017) - Overall I didn't care for it. But that was mostly due to it being a police drama, which I don't care for. I don't like inner cities, gangs, crooked cops, grimy neighborhoods, any of it. The fantasy element of this movie is just window dressing. However, that was clearly the point, so I can't necessarily call this a bad movie. It's just not for me.
  The only really good thing I can say about this movie is Nick, the Orc cop. He's the only likeable character through the whole thing, and he is a delight. Joel Edgerton does an excellent acting job.
Will Smith does a good performance with his character, but he is written very unlikable for most of the movie.
  The movie is trying to set up a world where all of these creatures live alongside each other, and the racial tensions that are inherant in all of this. Unfortunately it's just our world with different graffiti. It is blatantly copying Alien Nation by having the other creatures as just different classes in our society. I'm sorry, but NO. Alien Nation made sense because the aliens had only shown up a few years prior. If these creatures, and magic, had been around for all of history, civilization would look completely different! Maybe if they had said something along the lines of "the veil between the human world and the magical realm was lifted" then we could beleive that the elves and orcs and other things were more recent developements. But without that, it just feels lazy.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2379
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17765 on: January 13, 2018, 03:28:06 PM »
Is your complaint that there wouldn’t be prejudice and different classes because they’d always been there?
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #17766 on: January 13, 2018, 05:04:54 PM »
Is your complaint that there wouldn’t be prejudice and different classes because they’d always been there?
No. It's that the presence of magic and fairy creatures would have had a huge difference in the development of our technology and civilization. The modern world would look a lot different.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #17767 on: January 13, 2018, 05:08:53 PM »
Jumanji (1995) - I enjoy this movie. It's very creative and fun. It's also a largely dramatic performance by Robin Williams well before he started being known for that.
As for the effects, the movie uses a lot more practical effects than people remember. It's mostly the monkeys that are all CGI and look terrible. Besides, saying that CGI in a 90s movie looks bad is like saying the temperature in Africa is hot.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1273
« Reply #17768 on: January 13, 2018, 05:48:31 PM »
Blade of the Immortal

Great modern samurai movie with lots of gore. I don’t much like comic book movies, but I think I’ll have to adjust that to American comic book movies, because this was fantastic. It’s not particularly deep or anything, just a lot of fun, and it looks beautiful, especially the opening scene. It’s left open for sequels, and I really hope we get one with the girl a little older and able to defend herself a bit.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2341
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17769 on: January 13, 2018, 07:54:30 PM »
Diani & Devine Meet the Apocalypse

Kickstarter backers got to see it streaming this weekend.  Wow, been over 4 years since the kickstarter campaign.

I enjoyed it, a lot of funny gags, has an absurdity to it that is quite charming.

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 249
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #17770 on: January 13, 2018, 09:02:38 PM »
I just finished watching Doctor Strange again. I still get a huge kick out of the ending.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4483
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17771 on: January 14, 2018, 07:26:36 AM »
The Ox-Bow Incident

I have been vaguely aware of the movie for a while now but it is nice to actually get to see it.  After a report of a landowners murder by rustlers come in, a bunch of men form a posse looking for justice.  But when they find three suspects, they aren't interested in trying them and just want to string them up.  While not exactly subtle, it is really good as morality plays go.  I like that some of the "good guy" characters are also shown as being complicit in wrong-doing in other ways, even if their hearts are in the right place.  One man disobeys a characters last wishes in the hopes of saving him, only to be chewed out when his plan is discovered.  Definitely worth watching and an overall great movie.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1273
« Reply #17772 on: January 14, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »
Brigsby Bear 2017 ★★★★

Watched Jan 14, 2018

They did an excellent job of world building in this movie. The beginning sets up his obsession with the show, which from his stand point isn't an obsession because it's the only thing that exists. And Kyle Mooney is fantastic at playing the weird, awkward, adorable guy that's maybe a little slow and you feel really bad for. He's had that character down for a while now, and his brilliant halting timing fits perfectly into this role that I can only assume was written for him.

Without those two pieces this wouldn't have been that great, but combined they present a ridiculous scenario that is easy to swallow.

My favorite line-
“My parents stole me when I was a baby, but I still think they're pretty cool.”

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #17773 on: January 14, 2018, 10:34:34 PM »
Not a good week for movies.

Royal Tramp II ( 1992 )
I don't like Hong Kong comedies. There are some that are marginally good. Such as the comedy films made by Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung, which always have at least one gag per film that is actually very funny, and makes up for the other duds with unbelievable action scenes. And the Aces Go Places franchise borders on entertaining. But for the most part, Hong Kong comedy films suck. Broad comedy with gags unashamedly stolen from Hollywood films. The only reason why I have yet to collect every John Woo film is knowing that for most of the 80s he was making nothing but comedies for Golden Harvest. So far the only John Woo comedy I have ever seen has been Once a Thief, which works during the action scenes, but becomes an embarrassment during the comedy scenes. Perhaps it is good that the John Woo comedies from the early 80s have not yet been made available for distribution in the United States. Of course it should be pointed out that Hong Kong audiences love their comedies. John Woo is still thought of as a comedy director over there, despite his international success with action films. Stephen Chow is one of their most popular actors. He is considered by international audiences as some sort of comedy genius, mostly due to King Fu Hustle. But back in the 90s the attitude was much different. Books I have from Hong Kong cinema from the 90s either do not mention Chow at all, or have nothing good to say about him. In one of those books which reviewed every "New Wave" Hong Kong film ( about from 1983 through the late 90s ), it gave Royal Tramp only two stars, and it's sequel Royal Tramp II one star, being real harsh on Chow, and wondering why Chinese audiences would ever fins this guy funny.

I myself did not enjoy either Royal Tramp film, despite both rising to classic HK movie status in recent years. But I actually find the second film better than the first. And that is because it is 20 minutes shorter. It picks up where the other left off, but does not really continue the story. The first movie was based on a novel, while the second is an original story by director Wong Jing which like the first just meanders from scene to scene with no real coherent plot. According to director Wong Jing, he had been planing to shoot the sequel to Royal Tramp in 1993. However, Jackie Chan had injured himself filming Police Story III: Supercop ( 1992 ) and needed to spend a month recuperating before he could begin work on City Hunter ( 1993 ). With filming on City Hunter delayed, Jing decided to continue with the same cast and film both Royal Tramp and Royal Tramp II back to back. I don't know if that is suppose to be a boast or an excuse. But once again the action scenes are not good enough to save the rest of the film.

Iron Soldier ( 2010 ) ( a.k.a. Captain USA: The Iron Soldier )
This was suppose to be a superhero film. Or at the least, a rip-off of Iron Man. But it turns out to be neither, so I have wasted the $3 I spent on the DVD. According to the director in the "bonus" interview, he had originally conceived Iron Soldier as a superhero film, and for some reason changed the script when he was able to buy a robot costume on eBay. But it is not all bad. Director Brett Kelly, who the same year made the dreadful Avenging Force: The Sacrab for Tomcat Productions, did this film for Dudez Productions. This time with a bigger budget. For example, the soldiers in this film actually have uniforms. And aside from a budget for costumes, they had a budget for an actual cast. They could afford Joe Estevez in a small role. And they were able to get Brianna Barnes, the host of the PBS show  Globe Trekker to play one of the bad guys. The rest of the cast are no names, but at least have some sort of slight acting abilities.  And the movie is actually watchable. It is nothing I would ever want to see again, but it was nowhere as painful to watch as the other films.

The film opens up with the army testing their latest weapon, a remote controlled battle robot called Iron Soldier ( despite it looking like it is made out of plastic. ) After Iron Soldier successfully takes out a unit of soldiers, it is returned to it's lab. However, the lab is invaded by a group of mercenaries looking to steal the Iron Soldier, and they are soon holding everyone they have not shot hostage. The entirety of the film involves the hostage situation while the mercenaries try to figure out how to activate the Iron Soldier so they can get it to walk out of the lab and into a waiting helicopter. Almost none of the film has the Iron Soldier doing anything. Even in the climatic scene in the forest where one of the good guys takes controll of the Iron Soldier and turns it against the mercenaries, it only zaps one of them. The scene ends with a very lame fist fight between one of the mercenaries and one of the American soldiers. Now, if I were making a film based around a robot costume I bought off of eBay, then most of the film would be about that robot fighting people. But I guess Brett Kelly didn't want his robot costume damaged, so limited it's use on screen.

In case there is any doubt this is a Brett Kelly film, just as in The Scarab, Iron Soldier is full of padding via extra long walking footage, and once again ending credits that move at a snails pace, so that they last a good ten minutes despite a cast and crew that is only enough for two minutes worth of credits.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4483
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17774 on: January 15, 2018, 04:15:14 AM »
The End of the Tour

I feel like movies based on real people can be tricky, especially if you want to present them positively.  I mean, the worst case example is the bizarrely fawning movie Jobs, which makes the strange decision of having Steve Jobs be some sort of pure soul whose brilliance changes the world.  I knew The End of the Tour wasn't going to be that, though I did get a little worried before David Foster Wallace showed up and it was just David Lipsky being excited to meet him.  The other tricky thing is films are conversations between intellectuals that are supposed to be insightful.  They can be stilted or awkward or much more trite than is intended.  The End of the Tour overcomes that too.

There was a worry that it might go in that direction, but thankfully, it also becomes apparent that their intellectual discussions have many purposes.  The characters want to to express ideas to each other, but they also want to make serious connections.  But tension also comes up because they have their own purposes for this interview and while Wallace wants to do his best to have a certain narrative about himself imposed (which he admits is his desire) while trying his best to be honest.  Meanwhile, Lipsky clearly wants to be liked and respected by Wallace, he's there to get a story, not just a conversation.

Though the film is pretty laid back, it also does a good job at creating a low level tension between the two, first for being strangers who are getting to know each other, and again when Wallace is trying to set boundaries. Segel is good, but I can't help thinking of his portrayal of Wallace as being like caring and supportive Funky Kong.  Still, the film does a good job as showing him as someone with a certain addictive personality in a very low level way.  Definitely worth checking out.