Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1587589 times)

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17670 on: November 28, 2017, 10:10:47 PM »
Edge of the City (1957)

Excellent casting with some really strong performances.  The story is interesting and there are some genuinely tense moments.  There's a great use of drama with underlying social commentary that in some ways feels ahead of its time.  Sidney Poitier steals nearly ever scenes he's in and he has some very memorable lines.  The climax where John Cassavetes confronts the murderer of his best friend while risking his own imprisonment for being an AWOL soldier is both moving and exciting.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17671 on: November 28, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
The Room (2003)

After seeing the recent trailers for The Disaster Artist I decided to give this a chance.  This movie is so thoroughly awful that it ends up being pretty entertaining and I can see why it has a cult following.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #17672 on: November 30, 2017, 04:52:03 PM »
I just watched the Martin Short/Dennis Quaid movie Innerspace.  There is a travel agent, in a small part, who I think looks a bit like Norman Krasner.

I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17673 on: November 30, 2017, 04:53:57 PM »
Doesn't look defeated enough.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #17674 on: November 30, 2017, 05:22:32 PM »
I read a report recently that the #3 cause of suicides in 70s and 80s was "depression caused by interacting with Norman".
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17675 on: November 30, 2017, 10:46:58 PM »
The Front (1976)

This is probably my favorite Woody Allen movie after Annie Hall even though he didn't write or direct this. In a way it's a middle finger to the House Un-American Activities Committee who were responsible for blacklisting and essentially ruining the lives of a number of Americans they deemed as Communist sympathizers. In fact it was written, produced, and directed by several people who were themselves all blacklisted during that time. Incredible that they survived that and later were able to come together to make this poignant and funny film about how McCarthy era paranoia effected people. Allen's character finds success signing his name to the scripts of writers after they are unable to get work but eventually comes under suspicion himself. Zero Mostel gives a brilliant and moving performance as an actor whose career is tragically ruined.  The film's final message during the HUAC questioning and the final credits showing the blacklisted creators make for a pretty satisfying ending despite the real life consequences of such an ignorant and un-American witch-hunt.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #17676 on: December 01, 2017, 02:27:25 AM »
Man on the Moon

I've seen it many times. It's like a checklist of all the biopic cliches, there's a few early on I always laugh derisively at, like when Danny DeVito-- character had a name, but you can't NOT be DeVito, man-- says "You're insane *laughs then instantly turns silent and serious* but you might also be brilliant." END SCENE!

Or in the Mighty Mouse part when the host is like "Welcome back to Saturday Night Live, let's keep our FIRST EVER SHOW going. . . " but not as subtle as how I did it.

But what makes me come back every time and keeps me hooked on that movie is Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman, he is INSANE ^_^. . . v_v but he might also be brilliant. I just can't stop watching him be Andy.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #17677 on: December 01, 2017, 08:36:31 AM »
Man on the Moon

I've seen it many times. It's like a checklist of all the biopic cliches, there's a few early on I always laugh derisively at, like when Danny DeVito-- character had a name, but you can't NOT be DeVito, man-- says "You're insane *laughs then instantly turns silent and serious* but you might also be brilliant." END SCENE!

Or in the Mighty Mouse part when the host is like "Welcome back to Saturday Night Live, let's keep our FIRST EVER SHOW going. . . " but not as subtle as how I did it.

But what makes me come back every time and keeps me hooked on that movie is Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman, he is INSANE ^_^. . . v_v but he might also be brilliant. I just can't stop watching him be Andy.

Overall I love going back and watching his performance, though the wrestling scene with Lawler always bothers me a bit. Of all the things Jim got right, I don't think he captured or understood Kaufman as a wrestling heel, especially when I learned how much he was antagonizing Jerry Lawler behind the scenes, completely missing the fact that Kaufman and Lawler became friends who deeply respected eachother (even though that was in the damn script).
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #17678 on: December 01, 2017, 09:24:55 AM »
Man on the Moon

Netflix has a documentary on the filming of that movie and how crazy Jim Carrey became during it.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17679 on: December 01, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »
From what I hear, it sort of comes down on Jim Carrey's side despite the fact that his "method acting" shenanigans sound both self-indulgent and has been used as an excuse for crappy behaviour on set.  So I think I'll pass.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5903
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17680 on: December 01, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »
Man on the Moon

That movie did a good job of teaching me about Andy Kaufman. The primary thing I learned: I don't really like Andy Kaufman.

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #17681 on: December 01, 2017, 10:33:32 AM »
Man on the Moon

Netflix has a documentary on the filming of that movie and how crazy Jim Carrey became during it.
A documentary about the making of a biopic about a comedian is too meta for me.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #17682 on: December 01, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »
Man on the Moon

A documentary about the making of a biopic about a comedian is too meta for me.
It is very Kaufmanesque though.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17683 on: December 01, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »
Don’t Torture a Duckling (1972)

Pretty solid giallo with some genuinely disturbing moments and probably Fulci's earliest use of gore although it's more of a mystery thriller than a straight forward horror movie.  In a rural Italian town a spree of child murders causes panic as the superstitious village is thrown into the spotlight.  As the investigation goes on the mistrustful locals act out in violence brutally murdering an innocent woman who was suspected of the crimes.   I think viewers might actually be surprised by the end reveal of the actual killer and their motives which also explores some interesting themes.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3214
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17684 on: December 02, 2017, 06:35:46 PM »
Just got back from Coco and it is absolutely wonderful. Best Pixar movie since Inside Out.