Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1581567 times)

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17655 on: November 21, 2017, 10:10:11 PM »
The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

I've seen parts of this before but never watched the whole thing entirely so I was glad to find it on TCM On Demand.  The recent digital restoration looks so clean and crisp it almost doesn't feel like it was filmed 90 years ago.  The remastered score not only fits the pacing incredibly well but also compliments the imagery perfectly and even intensifies certain moments.  The story itself is both compelling and tragic as it recounts  real life record of the trial of Jeanne d'Arc where she is tortured and eventually sentenced to death by being burned alive at the stake.  One of the things that makes this film unique is that it's almost entirely composed of close-up shots and the plot is often carried through the facial expressions of the actors.  At times the performance by Renée Jeanne Falconetti is so deeply moving it's difficult not to be emotionally affected by it in some manner.  The word "epic" doesn't justly describe its climactic ending.  A beautiful treasure of the film medium and a must see for silent movie fans.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17656 on: November 22, 2017, 06:05:40 AM »
Assassin's Creed

Terrible, boring, stupid, waste of time, could have been done in half an hour.   

There are good actors in this thing but I think they were told not to act, and the endless fighting action is boring as hell.

I've not played the video games, only seen trailers for them, and they were better than what's in this movie, I only kept watching to see where the story was going and it kept teasing that it was going somewhere but it was just a trip the the gas station with the car running out of gas on the way.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #17657 on: November 22, 2017, 10:51:21 AM »
Suicide Squad came on HBO Monday night, but I fell asleep around the part where the helicopter crashes.

It's such a busy, exhausting movie.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #17658 on: November 24, 2017, 05:53:45 AM »

Jumper ( 2008 )
This is another one of the films Wikipedia insists falls withing the superhero category. It does have a script written by David S Goyer, and a cast that would go on to be in superhero films including Samuel L Jackson ( Nick Fury in the MCU ), Jamie Bell ( The Thing in the latest Fantastic Four film ), Michael Rooker ( Yondo in Guardians of the Galaxy ) and Diane Lane ( Who is Martha Kent in the DC Universe films, and was previously in the first Judge Dredd ). It also stars young Darth Vader himself Hayden Christensen, and Kristen Stewart in a bit role, just a few months before her career took off with the Twilight films.  But other than Hayden mentioning to Jamie that they should work together and cites Marvel Team-Up where two superheroes team up for a couple of issues, this is not really a superhero film. Hayden plays a character with the ability to teleport anywhere instantly. After many years of traveling the world where he uses his powers to steal money from bank vaults and items from stores, he is finally caught by Samuel L Jackson, who is part of a secret society known as Paladins who for centuries have been hunting down and killing anyone with the power of teleportation. Hayden manages to escape, and later discovers someone else ( Bell ) who has the same powers as he does. He learns that those with teleportation powers are called Jumpers, and have been at war with the Paladins for hundreds of years. At only 88 minutes long, this is an amazingly short film, which seems as if it's only purpose was to set up a Jumper film series ( which so far never happened. ) But since the plot moves along at a breakneck speed, the movie never has time to get boring. But if even David S. Goyer was unable to come up with more than 90 minutes of material on Jumping, then maybe this is a power that is not that interesting outside of an X-Men team film. Jumper is just barely entertaining, and is smart enough to end just before it's premise runs out of steam.
Check out the Quiptrack of Jumper. It's really good.

Here's a trailer
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #17659 on: November 24, 2017, 07:59:31 PM »
Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam (1982)
My new Citizen Kane of bad movies. So many WTF moments and scenes that cut to the next scene without any conclusion to the scene before it. Kung Fu fights against stuffed animals, poorly costumed robots and skeletons and mummies, and guys with colanders on their heads. Something about a brain with gold spray paint peeling off it and Jesus being a warrior for Islam who hid a cardboard sword that was protected by gimps wearing rubber fetish clothing.
Took some searching to find a version of the original movie with English subtitles (there's a version on Archive.org that I refused to watch after reading the comments that the uploader make edits in an attempt to upgrade the special effects and music, which would really kill the entertainment value).
English dubbed version (if one existed) would make for a great Rifftrax.. hell, even a subtitled version would as well (if they didn't cut anything out like they've done with so many of the recent releases). 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 08:01:57 PM by wihogfan »

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17660 on: November 24, 2017, 10:10:10 PM »
The Kindred (1987)

The highlight of this low budget monster movie is its gruesome practical special effects.  A doctor is warned by his dying mother to return to his childhood home and destroy her mysterious experiment.  He invites a group of his colleagues to help and they discover a hybrid tentacle monster created from his own DNA.  It attacks them and traps them in the house while a rival scientist who creates his own animal human hybrids wants to capture it.  The ending is over-the-top and exciting with some genuinely gross moments.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17661 on: November 24, 2017, 11:26:39 PM »
Legend of the Werewolf (1975)

The werewolf design in this is really cool and I quite like the use of first person shots from its perspective.  I don't think I've seen the boy raised by wolves becomes a werewolf scenario in a horror film before.  It's not as eerie as some of Peter Cushing's better horror movies but I think it's one of Freddie Francis' better directorial efforts.  What Francis may lack here in mood he makes up for with suspense as the buildups to the attacks and final confrontation are very well done.  It's written by Anthony Hinds who also wrote Hammer's The Curse of the Werewolf (1961).  The story is interesting and the werewolf attacks are exciting with a bit of gore.  Cushing plays a forensics expert that investigates a series of brutal murders that look like animal attacks.  David Rintoul gives a strong performance as Etoile and the climactic confrontation at the end is both thrilling and tragic.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17662 on: November 25, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
COCO (2017) - I liked it. It was absolutely gorgeous animation. The part with family trying to keep the kid from following his dreams was really cliche, but that is mostly just the setup.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17663 on: November 25, 2017, 09:16:22 PM »
Kong: Skull Island (2017)

This may be my favorite Kong movie since the RKO original despite its flaws and honestly I think I prefer it to most other modern kaiju films.  Still I think it falls victim to the trappings of modern action movies.  I also felt some of the humor didn't work and probably should have been cut.  The two-legged design of the skull lizards didn't really make sense to me anatomically.  It felt like a mistake not to use dinosaurs like in the original.  I did like the nod to Ray Harryhausen's giant octopus in It Came from Beneath the Sea.  The story itself is mostly entertaining and the casting is pretty good.  It's also fast paced and the CGI monster scenes are action packed.  The after the credits scene gave me hope for the upcoming Godzilla sequel.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:21:59 PM by Jesse412 »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17664 on: November 26, 2017, 06:43:20 AM »
Just an addendum from an earlier movie I watched. During one scene in Jesus Bro, you can clearly see a bunch of MST3K episodes in VHS format in somebody's home.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5176
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17665 on: November 26, 2017, 07:03:35 AM »
Cabaret

It's a pretty good movie punctuated by a few GREAT scenes, particularly the chilling "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" scene.  Michael York and Liza Minelli do good work.  I am a bit surprised the Joel Grey won an Oscar, not because he is bad (he's great) but because we never get beyond the surface of his character.  It's a great performance but because we only see the character on stage doing broad song and dance numbers, he's much more of an idea than a character, representing narrative shifts.  I guess it's cool that this kind of performance can get recognition, though.  I just wish more than a couple songs stuck with me (though the first one is pretty damned good).

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 94
« Reply #17666 on: November 26, 2017, 11:09:05 PM »
Hard Target 2 ( 2016 )
Recently I began collecting all the films of Yanin Vismitananda, partially because of her spectacular debut in the film Chocolate, but mostly because she only did a handfull of films all of which got released on DVD and Blu-ray over here. I am still debating if I should bother to be a completest with her movies ( i.e. get every film she was in, even those with bit parts ) but ended up getting Hard Target 2 anyway, as it is a sequel to the John Woo film Hard Target ( 1993 ). I went into this movie with no good expectations. IMDb has her listed as "additional cast", so most likely a blink and you will miss her scene. Also not looking good for this direct to video sequel, no Jean Claude Van Damme, who you would think was desperate for work, and would love to be making a sequel for Universal. Not only did Van Damme pass on this film, none of the original cast or crew have returned for this movie. Nor do the actors in this film play any of the characters from the original.  What makes this a sequel is that it has the same basic premise of men being hunted by the rich. The movie begins with MMA champ Wes Baylor ( Scott Adkins ) facing his best friend in a match,the winner who will be given a chance to fight for the heavyweight championship. Baylor wins, but his friend drops dead in the ring, ( jump kicking your opponent in the skull as a finishing move will do that, ) and he is drummed out of organized MMA. He ends up in Asia, competing in underground fights for a few hundred dollars a fight. One night he meets a man named Aldrich ( Robert Knepper ) who claims to be a fight organizer, and offers Baylor a fight with a purse of a quarter million dollars. Baylor takes the offer, and is flown to an army base run by a corrupt general where he discovers that he is the prey in a hunt by a group of rich people. If he can successfully cross through a jungle and make it to the border into Thailand, then he won and can keep the bag of jewels that Aldrich gave him. And if he refuses to be the prey, then the corrupt general will order his army to shoot him. With little choice, Baylor becomes the prey, and of course takes out the hunters one by one Rambo style.

I was expecting a lot worse, but Hard Target 2 is a decent enough action film, a cut above cheap, but with action scenes that are not memorable. The cast includes Rhona Mitra, best known as one of the Lara Croft models, and who's biggest role to date was the female lead in the third Underworld movie. She has also done a lot of television work, as recurring characters on hit shows, and as cast member in a few one season shows. You would expect her to play Scott Adkin's love interest, but instead she is one of the rich jerks who pay Aldrich for a chance to hunt a human. Scott Adkins, who in this movie is as unappealing as Van Damme, but with less impressive spin kicks, has had a career with small parts in hit movies, and lead roles in a lot of direct to video films. Perhaps the best known in the cast is character actor Robert Knepper, best remembered as T Bone in the series Prison Break. As I mentioned,Yanin Vismitananda is somewhere in this movie. ( and for some reason Universal lists her as Chanthathanisa "Jeeja" Vismitanada in the credits. ) Her scene is a little more than blink and miss it. But if the only reason Universal cast her in this movie was to increase it's overseas sales, then her Asian fans will be pissed. Near the very end of the film, when Aldrich tries to stop Baylor from crossing over a bridge that goes into Thailand, he has a gang of thugs attack Baylor, of which she is the only female. What could have been a career building memorable fight for Scott Adkins never happens. Instead the thugs are quickly defeated, and Yanin just barely gets any kicks in. They may as well used a stuntwoman as he face is only shown on the screen for about five seconds total prior to the fight. Had I directed the film, I would have gotten rid of the four other men and just staged a balls to the wall ten minute fight between Adkins and Yanin. But director Roel Renie seemed more interested in scenes with explosions or gun battles. A lot of the fights in this film are short changed and unmemorable. Renei's career seems to be directing a lot of direct to video sequels, and his most prominent work to date is two episodes of Marvel's Inhumans. In this movie he deliberately channels John Woo. Not only is the opening sequence a nearly shot for shot ripoff of the opening sequence of the original Hard Target, but he steals a lot of John Woo imagery, including the hero and villain standing next to each other with guns pointed at each others head, and even the appearance of white doves. Bad enough you are directing a direct-to-video sequel, why remind the audience of a far better director?

The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl 3D ( 2005 )
Except that the disc I bought does not include the 3D version. Nor have I yet invested in a 3D television and 3D Blu-ray player. When I first decided to start collecting superhero films, I had three decades to choose from. Ahead of me were the Spiderman films, the X-Men films, Blade, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Superman, the first of the MCU, Fantastic Four, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Daredevil and a lot more. Since then I have pretty much caught up on all the major releases, only holding off on the movies that are still in their price gouging stage, or the ones out of print and awaiting a re-release. Which means at this point I have little choice but to begin buying all the movies I had ignored so far, or simply stop collecting. The problem with collecting anything, you detest holes in your collection. Lets say you decided to collect Marvel figurines. You know there were 5000  figurines released, and you own 4999 of them. The only figurine you are missing is A.I.M. soldier. It may be the most obscure character in the entire Marvel universe, but it is going to bug the hell out of you until you add the A.I.M. soldier to your collection. So basically, I am now filling out my movie collection with the equivalent of A.I.M. soldier. The movies I wanted the least were the kids films. ( I am currently putting off purchasing Super Buddies, one of the umpteenth spinoff sequels to Air Bud where the puppies appear to have gained superhero powers. I dread the week where I have everything else and have no excuse not to get it. )

The only thing this film had going for it was that it was written and directed by Robert Rodriguez. Unfortunately, Rodriguez gives us a formula kids film, complete with the obligatory fart joke. ( Yep, went through the entire film, and it looked as if there would not be a fart joke for once. But then one showed up during the final battle. ) This is a really bad film, full of adult actors who decided to ham up their acting because they assumed that is what kids want to see, child actors who ( at least in this film ) can barely act, a predictable plot partially stolen from The Wizard of Oz, corny dialogue, a corny song, and sub-par humor, because film makers still think kids love bad comedy. But as bad as this film is, it is somehow entertaining. Well,  just entertaining enough to keep me from wishing it would end, which is what bad kid films usually do less than ten minutes in.  Rodriguez may have written a bad film with cheap CGI effects, but he keeps the plot, and visuals, moving at a fast pace, so once the movie moves to the home planet of Sharkboy and Lavagirl, we go from one fantasy land to another without lingering in any for more than a few minutes. So basically, a mixed review here. An awful film that still dazzles. As for the superhero angle, I suppose you could cont Sharkboy and Lavagirl as superheroes. Certainly they came closer to being superheroes than the last few films did.

White Pongo ( 1945 )
A while back I began collecting films that have giant apes in them. While I am pretty sure I have found every one in existence ( featuring giant gorillas at least ) I did come across something on Amazon called Sons of Kong. A collection of 10 movies featuring gorillas, in a box with a picture on the front of a giant ape chasing a scantly clad blonde woman into a jungle with New York City in the background during a thunder storm. Cool picture, but I was sure no such movie existed. ( And there is a jungle in Queens? ).

Amazon was asking for just $1 for the set, so I added it to my cart. It was from Alpha Video, a notoriously cheap home video company that specializes in nostalgic movies. In other words, public domain movies. When I got the set I fast forwarded through all ten films just to confirm none had a giant ape. What connected each film was that they all had gorillas, although some in just a single scene. The quality of the films was as bad, if not worse, than I had expected. But not only did the box have that cool illustration, but Alpha went to the trouble of making a slip cover that opens into a 3D pop-up of the illustration.

The 3D pop-up box actually makes the set worth the $1, even if all the films turned out to be turds, and I am shocked such a low rent cheapo company like Alpha Video would decide to spend the money on this extra bonus when the selling point was to put these videos in the budget video section of any store.

The set had a lot of old films I had heard of that I was curious to see. So I decided to leave it next to the DVD player and watch movies from it whenever I had free time. This week, with SNL in reruns and many of my shows preempted for Thanksgiving weekend, I had free time. The quality of White Pongo is very bad. Imagine a tenth generation film print that is worn and full of splices, that was used in a bad transfer onto video, and has further been badly compressed when transferred to digital. In addition to that, a lot of the scenes during the climax are over a minute and a half out of sync with the soundtrack. ( or perhaps the soundtrack was so damaged that one of the distributors simply reedited the existing soundtrack to cover up what was missing? )

Made at a poverty row budget studio that produced a lot of cheap Westerns, White Pongo was directed by our old friend Sam Newfield, responsible for  the MST3K experiments I Accuse My Parents ( 1944 ),  Radar Secret Service ( 1950 ) and The Lost Continent ( 1951 ), although his opus was Terror of Tiny Town (1938 ), a film so bad that MST3K refused to touch it. And as where The Lost Continent introduced "rock climbing" to the deep hurting category, which includes long pointless driving ( Manos ), sandstorms ( Hercules Against the Moon Men ), and drawn out aerial battles ( Invasion of the Neptune Men ). In White Pongo, Newfield gives us deep hurting that MST3K was lucky enough to have missed. canoeing. Almost all of the footage in this movie is an expedition canoeing down a river, intercut with the occasional stock footage of wild animals.

The plot: A couple of explorers in an unexplored jungle in Africa are being held prisoner by a tribe of cannibals. The elderly explorer, who for some reason is allowed to wander around the village, unties the other explorer when the tribe is not looking, and begs him to make his way back to civilization so that he can tell them of the expedition's discovery. The younger explorer does make it back to a colonial British town, but almost immediately dies of "jungle fever". Just before he dies, he tells another explorer about his expedition's great discovery. A white gorilla called White Pongo who is the missing link between man and ape. So much for the first five minutes of the film.  An expedition is immediately launched,  with the explorers all going by canoe up river for what felt like forever before finally reaching the tribe of canables. While keeping the tribe members distracted by a box of trinkets and rags, the other explorers find the elderly explorer. ( I guess the canables were not hungry as he was there for weeks. ) The elderly explorer has photographs of White Pongo, who he says is super intelligent. But at some point the leader of the expedition that found him tried to put Pongo into a cage and bring him back to civilization, at which Pongo broke out of the cage and "murdered" almost everyone in the expedition, leaving what was left prisoners of the tribe. Deciding they want to find and trap White Pongo for themselves, and wanting to get away from the hostile tribe, the expedition returns to their canoes and once again head up river to find the ape, little realizing that White Pongo has been watching them from the jungle the whole time, and has fallen in love with the expedition's one female member. And so while the expedition searches for this very rare impossible to find gorilla, the very gorilla they are looking for trails after them from a distance the entire time. Finally getting out of their canoes, they find White Pongo tracks on the ground and decide to set up camp. The next day they build a stockade with a White Pongo trap outside bated with gorilla food, but Pongo is too smart for the trap. A couple of sub plots introduced in the beginning of the film finally pay off, one being the German guide turns out to be a criminal and attempts to kill the expedition members, only for Pongo to finally make his appearance, save the girl, and carry her off to his cave. The next day Pongo gets into a fight with a normal black gorilla, and the girl escapes. When Pongo tries to recapture her, he ends up captured and caged. The end.

I actually made this movie sound a lot more interesting than it actually is. The majority of this film is nothing happening. Even at only 70 minutes it felt too long. This is one I had to fight to stay away in order to finish. The only highlight is the dopey gorilla fight, and even that is not very much.This would have made a perfect MST3K experiment, although I see that even Rifftrax has avoided it. But if you are looking for a long boring racist expedition movie with a gorilla costume designed by someone who obviously does not know what a gorilla looks like, then this is the film for you.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5176
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17667 on: November 27, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »
Just realized I've never seen Total Recall.  So I corrected that.  I liked it.  The pun-kills are a little much.  I mean, it is definitely a silly, fun movie, but for some reason, it doesn't quite fit here.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #17668 on: November 27, 2017, 10:47:27 AM »
Lady Bird
This was great!  It was set in 2002, and was perfectly nostalgic (I graduated HS in 98).  Greta Gerwig nailed it as a first time director.  Saoirse Ronan is incredible as always. Laurie Metcalf is soooooo good (she's Roseanne's sister on Roseanne); I had no idea she could act like this.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17669 on: November 28, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »
Just realized I've never seen Total Recall.  So I corrected that.  I liked it.  The pun-kills are a little much.  I mean, it is definitely a silly, fun movie, but for some reason, it doesn't quite fit here.
I think Total Recall is by far Paul Verhoeven's best film. I love the part where Quaids got his hologram running around fooling all the guys, then they surround Arnold and then he goes "Ha ha, you think this is Quaid", then they all turn around, and then Arnold says "It is".