Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1583446 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17625 on: November 13, 2017, 07:13:46 AM »
It's definitely an enjoyable ride.  I like how a lot of the movie sticks with the cops perspective.  They aren't likeable but through them it makes Rambo a pretty damned big threat.  But of course, we see enough of Rambo's perspective that we are very much on his side.  Stallone can actually be a good actor, though I think he's also his own worst enemy in that regard.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17626 on: November 13, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »
I just saw Thor: Ragnarok again tonight and I noticed some things this time... the 2nd act has some pacing issues. It drags a little bit, but that's made up for by having a kick-ass climax, and having a great sense of humor. Honestly, I don't this movie overdoes it on the jokes.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #17627 on: November 14, 2017, 06:02:09 AM »
I watched Don't Breathe, the recent movie about burglars who break into the house of a blind man.  I kinda hated it.  It was poorly lit so I couldn't track what was going on, and the pacing just seemed slow, like it was one of those movies where a bunch of shit happens over 90-120 minutes, then it just ends.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17628 on: November 15, 2017, 12:06:42 PM »
T2 Trainspotting (2017)

Not nearly as cool as the original but an interesting sequel with a satisfying enough conclusion.  I haven't read the source material to compare it though.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17629 on: November 15, 2017, 12:11:03 PM »
Life (2017)

Interesting premise with decent casting, eerie mood and some tense moments.  While it doesn't necessarily add anything new or original to the genre it uses the existing tropes well enough to be entertaining.  I'm not a big fan of CGI but the evolution of the alien from single celled organism to downright scary monster made for some disturbing and cool looking visuals.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #17630 on: November 15, 2017, 07:27:04 PM »
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)
Was expecting a Shark Sandwich going in, but was surpsingly fascinated by the start. Then it takes a sharp downward turn when the 2 leads are introduced about 15 minutes in and never recovers.
Some gorgeous surreal special effects and human characters wearing enough embarassingly silly costumes and hats that make for a lot of entertainment.
Dumb secret agents in space plot with terrible dialog and quips delivered by 2 bland monotone wooden actors that negates much of that entertainment. Bad guy might as well have had a red flashing "evil bad guy" sign on his hat because it that obvious when he was introduced even though I think it was supposed to be a twist later on.
Some cuts to FPS video game type action in the middle of action scenes that also kills some of the goodwill the effects otherwise buy.
Overall rather frustrating that a movie with a huge budget and a lot of interesting creature and effects ideas ended up so awful. Still better than Phantom Menace.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #17631 on: November 15, 2017, 07:39:42 PM »
Life (2017)

Interesting premise with decent casting, eerie mood and some tense moments.  While it doesn't necessarily add anything new or original to the genre it uses the existing tropes well enough to be entertaining.  I'm not a big fan of CGI but the evolution of the alien from single celled organism to downright scary monster made for some disturbing and cool looking visuals.

I liked most of the movie okay, except that "surprise twist ending" which I saw coming a mile away.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #17632 on: November 15, 2017, 11:02:41 PM »
Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri

So good! It's got super dark humor, but lots of heart. It goes from disturbing to funny then back again in a way that would have derailed the movie if it was done by a less skilled filmmaker. But it works. I know it will be lame to say this, but it has similar elements to Fargo. It's not like a Coen brothers movie, but McDonough has a similar talent.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #17633 on: November 16, 2017, 12:19:46 AM »
Really want to see it. Hopefully it gets a general release here.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17634 on: November 16, 2017, 09:41:15 PM »
Justice League... Yes! It was halfway decent, I might even go so far as to say GOOD. I recommend it. It may not completely make up for Batman Vs Superman but it's a BIG step in the right direction for DC. Oh yeah and uh.... make sure to stay after the credits.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2649
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #17635 on: November 16, 2017, 09:50:42 PM »
Justice League... Yes! It was halfway decent, I might even go so far as to say GOOD. I recommend it. It may not completely make up for Batman Vs Superman but it's a BIG step in the right direction for DC. Oh yeah and uh.... make sure to stay after the credits.

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/931267755638013952
FINE

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17636 on: November 17, 2017, 07:01:29 AM »

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/931267755638013952

Everyone needs to google and yahoo search gg allin just so his name can end up on those "what's trending" lists.

On second thought, don't, there are already too many signs of the apocalypse all around us these days...

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2385
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #17637 on: November 17, 2017, 08:56:27 AM »
It's definitely an enjoyable ride.  I like how a lot of the movie sticks with the cops perspective.  They aren't likeable but through them it makes Rambo a pretty damned big threat.  But of course, we see enough of Rambo's perspective that we are very much on his side.  Stallone can actually be a good actor, though I think he's also his own worst enemy in that regard.

When Stallone can put ego aside and lose himself in a part, it goes well. Eventually his ego tends to bleed into the character though. I'm guessing that happened with Rambo, so he transformed from dangerous soldier with PTSD to a god of guns the same way Rocky transformed from Chuck Wepner into a superhero with fists of iron that can end the cold war by punching a lot.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17638 on: November 18, 2017, 12:27:06 AM »
Slither (2006)

This is an entertaining homage to the genre with great casting and lots of action and suspense.  The special effects in this are top notch despite the heavy reliance on CGI the practical effects makeups are some of the best and most disturbing of the era.  James Gunn's sense of humor is probably not for everyone but I think the dark comedy works really well here.  He even pays tribute to his Troma roots by showing a character watching a scene from The Toxic Avenger.  One of my favorite modern horror movies!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17639 on: November 18, 2017, 04:40:05 AM »
High Anxiety

I haven't seen it in years and I was kind of in the mood for it.  I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting this one to hold up but while it isn't Mel Brooks' best, it's still pretty fun.  That said, I feel like the funniest jokes are usually weird one-off jokes rather than the sketch-length bits.

"Of course!  I'm not afraid of heights!  I'm afraid of parents!"