Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1586843 times)

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 113
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #17610 on: November 08, 2017, 08:59:37 AM »
American Commando Ninja (1988)

Or, as it was titled in the version I watched on YouTube, "Commando the Ninja."  It more-or-less follows a guy who's not an American and not a commando (though he is a ninja, sometimes) as he fights an evil ninja group (and a group of American gangsters) to keep a new germ warfare formula from leading to world devastation.  It's filled with strange jump cuts, slo-mo applied to random actions, some alarming fashion choices, and Taiwanese disco.  Everyone is dubbed, including the English-speaking gangsters, and the dialogue is... amazing.  I think it gives 'Miami Connection' a run for its money in terms of sheer wtf-fery.  Needless to say, I loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T253j-s-k1M
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17611 on: November 08, 2017, 09:19:34 AM »
Based on the title, I assumed it was a Godfrey Ho movie.  I am shocked that it is not.

Offline WhyDontTheyLook

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 113
  • Tell me.
    • GaryWOlson.com
« Reply #17612 on: November 09, 2017, 09:16:12 AM »
Based on the title, I assumed it was a Godfrey Ho movie.  I am shocked that it is not.

He was one of the producers.
"You never know, in a tight jam a nuclear missile just might come in handy."

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17613 on: November 11, 2017, 02:11:34 AM »
Finally got around to Cars 3. It's an improvement over Cars 2, for sure. As good as the first one. Maybe a little bit better. Mater gets Jar Jared (Pushed into the background or not present for most of the movie) and there are some headier themes to contemplate (Aging/mortality is a huge note). Was pleasantly surprised. Not one of the Pixar greats, but not a bad movie to watch with a young'un in tow.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #17614 on: November 11, 2017, 09:01:25 AM »
Thor Ragnarok - I watched it for a second time yesterday with my friend Sheila. I think going in knowing how much comedy was going to be there helped.

I do have one issue that annoyed me even more this time watching it. It happens pretty early in the movie, but I'll put it spoilers anyway.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17615 on: November 11, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »
Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)

Decent action thriller on par with the first one arguably at times even a little better.  Still think the live action version pales in comparison to the books though.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 581
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #17616 on: November 11, 2017, 05:10:29 PM »
I saw "Murder on the Orient express" with my mum today and...this movie was awesome! Kenneth Branagh was seriously great as Poirot and the rest of the cast was great too.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #17617 on: November 11, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »
The Mummy (1932) - This was okay. I liked it for what it was. I'm not a huge fan of movies this old, I am used to faster pacing. But I do like well built tension. And I think this movie did a better job of that than Dracula 1931. The comparisons between the movies are inevitable, and justified. Both Dracula and the Mummy are characters that, while physically or magically powerful, the role is mostly in the dangerous intensity from the actor. And Boris Karloff is just much better at it. The comparisons don't stop there, since there are several other actors in both movies. Edward Van Sloan is playing almost the exact same character here as he was as Van Helsing in Dracula. And comically, David Manners is just as much of an ineffectual weenie "love interest" to the main woman the monster is after. The disadvantage this movie has is the lack of the interesting Renfield character to liven things up.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17618 on: November 12, 2017, 06:16:38 AM »
Thor Ragnarok - I watched it for a second time yesterday with my friend Sheila. I think going in knowing how much comedy was going to be there helped.

I do have one issue that annoyed me even more this time watching it. It happens pretty early in the movie, but I'll put it spoilers anyway.

I watched it last night and really liked it.  I wish Skurge had a bit of a better arc.  I feel like they just wanted to use him for one of the Thor comic's most iconic moments.  The character is great in his first appearance, though.

Also, Rachel House from Hunt for the Wilderpeople showing up was a fun surprise.

Also, I love that it used "Immigrant Song" not only because it is about Norse stuff, but also because

Also, I think the most fun gig you can have acting in the Marvel Universe is to play an Elder of the Universe.

"What's my motivation?"
"See that scenery? START MASTICATING."
"What's that? While you were talking this matte painting somehow ended up in my mouth."
"Perfect!"

Seriously, Terry Crews as The Champion of the Universe, please.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #17619 on: November 12, 2017, 09:00:38 AM »
I wish Skurge had a bit of a better arc.  I feel like they just wanted to use him for one of the Thor comic's most iconic moments.  The character is great in his first appearance, though.
That reminded me of another thing that annoyed me. I get that him wielding two machine guns is a cool image. But human weapons shouldn't do jack shit against Asgardians! Not to mention undead magically controlled Asgardians.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17620 on: November 12, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »
The undead are pretty fragile.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #17621 on: November 12, 2017, 10:03:12 AM »
The Lego Batman Movie (2017)

Watched this on HBO as it aired last night.  It is just as fun as the original LEGO movie but even crazier and definitely requires multiple viewings in order to fully appreciate it and to catch all of the references.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 95
« Reply #17622 on: November 12, 2017, 09:59:03 PM »
Raging Phoenix ( 2009 )
Chocolate ( 2008 ) has been on many top 100 martial arts movie lists for nearly a decade, although that is not what convinced me to add it to my martial arts movie collection. It was the director Prachya Pinkaew, who had directed Tony Jaa's best films including the Ong Bak trilogy. The movie was to debut his newest discovery, female martial artist Yanin Vismitananda. I was so blown away by her screen debut that I decided to begin collecting her other movies. Well, it turned out there was not much to collect. She was in only seven films ( including the soon to be released Triple Threat ) since Chocolate, almost all which were either supporting roles or bit parts. Raging Phoenix was her second movie, and he only other film to credit her as the lead. Produced but not directed by Prachya Pinkaew, it deserves to be considered as much a classic as Chocolate, and proves beyond doubt that Yanin deserves to be considered one of the all time greatest martial arts actresses. In the movie she plays a teenage punk girl who is nearly kidnapped, presumably to be turned into a sex slave. During the kidnapping attempt, she is rescued by another gang who are practitioners of Meyraiyuth, a fictional style of martial arts that mixes break dancing, drunken boxing and Muay Thai. Once rescued, Yanin asks the gang to teach her Meyraiyuth so that she can help them bring down the gang that has been kidnapping young women. This is a really good film, one liked a lot. It not only has outstanding fight scenes, but a a good story with likeable characters. The story allows Yanin to go through a full range of emotions, allowing her to expand her acting further than her autistic character in Chocolate. I liked the scenes that took place in between the scenes with fighting or training, which is rare for martial arts and action films. This was such a great performance by Yanin, and in such a good film, that I wonder why it was only supporting roles and bit parts from this point on. 

American Hero ( 2015 )
Continuing to add films to my live action superhero movie collection, I am once again going back to some films Wikipedia has on their list which just marginally count as superhero films. I had high hopes for this one. The movie's tagline is "From zero to superhero", and the description on the box is of a plot that seems similar to Hancock ( 2008 ), right next to a photo from the film showing the lead character wearing a lucha libre mask. It is filmed as if it is a documentary. Stephen Dorff plays a man named Melvin Hesper who lives in New Orleans and is known to some of the locals for his abilities to make things levitate. It turns out Melvin has had telekinetic powers since he was a kid, which he mostly uses to perform magic tricks for the tourists while his friends collect donations. It is here where he wears the lucha libre mask. The movie is mostly about how Melvin is ruining his life with booze and drugs, and nothing about him being a superhero. He does mention that sometimes he and his friends go after criminals that had just committed a crime, but only to steal their loot from them. At another point near the end of the movie, when it looks as if Melvin is finally turning his life around, that he approaches a friend who is a policeman and suggests he wants to use his abilities to help fight crime. But only in the final ten minutes of the film does he actually go after criminals, attacking a gang that had been trying to sell his kid drugs. But other than that, there is no moment when he officially becomes a superhero. It is a nice little independent movie with some very impressive visual effects. But it is hardly something I would call a superhero film, even if the bonus interview with the British director has him saying that it is his take on the superhero genre, and what it would be like for a superhero in the real world.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #17623 on: November 13, 2017, 05:48:31 AM »
First Blood

Never actually have seen this one all the way through.  I think I was expecting it to be less ridiculous than the sequels and though it technically is, it has its share of being over the top 80's action movie fare.  Stallone is actually pretty good in the role and the scale is certainly smaller than in the remaining films.  I think Richard Crenna is a weak point for me, as his existence presents Rambo as superhuman.  It does give Rambo some human moments but while First Blood isn't exactly low-key (certainly not by the end, anyway), the character of Trautman seems a little too arch for the film.  Still, overall a fun film.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #17624 on: November 13, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »
First Blood

Never actually have seen this one all the way through.  I think I was expecting it to be less ridiculous than the sequels and though it technically is, it has its share of being over the top 80's action movie fare.  Stallone is actually pretty good in the role and the scale is certainly smaller than in the remaining films.  I think Richard Crenna is a weak point for me, as his existence presents Rambo as superhuman.  It does give Rambo some human moments but while First Blood isn't exactly low-key (certainly not by the end, anyway), the character of Trautman seems a little too arch for the film.  Still, overall a fun film.

I still haven't given the sequels a chance, but I was surprised at how much I liked this movie after avoiding it for years.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky