Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1584164 times)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14700 on: December 11, 2014, 06:54:45 PM »
First Blood:  Shockingly, this is one of those movies that's been around forever but I just never saw it.

Wish I'd watched it earlier, and now I'm at least curious enough to try the sequels.

Yea, the first one is quite good... it's actually a film with a script and actors and everything! Unlike all the ultra-violent cartoons that were called sequels. Don't get me wrong, Rambo: First Blood Pt2 is a worthy watch if you like that mid 80s over-the-top action thing... but First Blood actually had some aspirations... the sequels were just transparent excuses to hire a bunch of stuntmen and make shit blow up.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14701 on: December 12, 2014, 10:03:50 AM »
Inherent Vice: One strange little puzzle box of a movie (no, I've never read the book. Or anything by Pynchon, for that matter). The plot wraps back and forth across itself, with characters being introduced, built-up, discarded, and referenced back to over the course of two scenes and our main detective at one point resorting to a flow chart of his own design to keep things straight (The Big Sleep was said to be an influence on this film, and it shows). But then, since it's also one of those plots where a lot of everything leads to nothing, and then back to a little something, this isn't exactly a movie where the story is supposed to take center stage anyway. Which is good, since there's a lot more devotion given to the oddball cast of characters, all generally wandering around in that tail-end-of-the-60s haze that makes all hippies dirty, smelly dope-heads, all guys in suits just puppets for The Man, and all the ladies are lost girls in a big scary world. It almost might not work, but everyone in the cast does a great job, so it's always entertaining to watch them drift about. Joaquin Phoenix is a solid lead as always (going a long way with just facial expressions and groans), but I've got to give special shout-outs to both Josh Brolin and Katherine Waterston. They destroy with every scene. Ditto for Joanna Newsom's narration, which manages to keep everything somehow in balance. Plus, the movie is actually very funny, sometimes in ways you might never expect, and all this comedy just adds to the surreal nature of the production. So it's definitely a solid movie overall, even if you walk out more than a little confused about what you just watched (though this is slightly easier to digest than The Master).

I'm generally one who sorta wishes that PTA would go back to his Boogie Nights days, if only to make movies that work perfectly on both an artistic and commercial basis. But even if he's well into his Films-with-a-capital-F days, that's no problem, because the work he does now is still as interesting and watchable as ever. Even if it's going to take me a second viewing to really get a handle on things.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #14702 on: December 12, 2014, 02:20:18 PM »
In the Bedroom

I've been meaning to watch this for a long time, and wow. Tom Wilkinson might be one of the most under appreciated actors in the business. He's really great. I mean, everybody in this movie is. My one gripe is the editing. There are so many fades to black it drove me nuts. It felt especially off since the movie is generally well shot.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #14703 on: December 16, 2014, 05:25:15 PM »
Caught up on a couple I had been wanting to see.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Finally got around to seeing this, was good fun, though I felt it was a little jarring as it lept from set piece to set piece. I'm glad it didn't need to dwell to hard on any one persons origin story and was able to give most of it in passing. I look forward to seeing more from this lot.

Her I was really impressed with this one. I'm super glad I managed to avoid pretty much everything about it so I went into it only knowing the general concept. It played out so differently than I expected. It could have been so terrible, and I kept expecting it to be, so I was genuinely surprised by the ending.  I loved the way music was used in this, really well done.

Soguru

« Reply #14704 on: December 16, 2014, 10:50:57 PM »
The Hobbit.... battle of the five armies.

Very grim, but very action packed and even very tense at some points. Honestly... I don't think I can sit through it again. Once was hard enough because even though I didn't exactly walk out crying, it left me emotionally drained if that makes any sense.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14705 on: December 17, 2014, 08:31:06 PM »
Profundo Rosso AKA Deep Red

I really didn't know what this was going in save for it being a Dario Argento giallo movie.  I actually confused it with another one about a serial killer copying books or something.  Anyway, Argento isn't always great, but this one, while not the most amazing, was a pleasant surprise.  After a psychic is murdered, the first man to arrive on the scene is convinced that there was a painting he saw when he ran in that was no longer there when the police arrived.  The man teams up with a female reporter and start investigating the crime, with clues leading to a mysterious house.  This is a pretty fun mystery film and though it has some unbelievably bloody kills (one being a ridiculous accident, though incredibly well made).  I will also say the answer to whodunit is actually pretty surprising, since the answer seemed obvious (though they didn't hit you over the head with it, just enough to make you think, "Oh, I know who it is") and they pulled a pretty effective trick.  I also like how they toy with the idea of psychic powers, then revealing that whether or not characters have powers don't really factor into the mystery.  It doesn't outright debunk anything, but it does toy with the audience.  It also has one of the freakiest doll-related moments in horror, and that's saying a lot.  Definitely a fun film.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14706 on: December 19, 2014, 06:31:51 AM »
It's a Wonderful Life.

I find a lot of 'Golden Era Hollywood' movies boring or annoying but I actually love this, the melodrama & cheesy treacle of the first half is turned around when Stewart becomes a brilliantly sarcastic dick during the angel scenes and then both are played off at the end. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:18:17 AM by ScottotD »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14707 on: December 19, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »
The Babadook: Just plain terrifying. An exceptionally well made indie horror flick, to the point of it being the best example of the genre I've seen since I don't even know (seriously, I checked my imdb, and besides outliers like Cabin in the Woods and You're Next, this one blows the others away. Particularly in the scariness category). Like the best of horror movies, this one genuinely has something to say, in this case about the effect of grief, depression, anxiety, and general mental illness on the part of a single mother and her precocious child. The family drama is played tight, brought together by some outstanding performances on the part of both the mother and the son (the mother is the standout, but the fact that they got a kid to play the son that good is an achievement in its own way). There are a few moments when the movie threatens to get a little overblown, particularly once some house traps start getting involved, but overall it's just a lot of tight, practical, well-done filmmaking. That creates something really, really scary. Seriously, I had trouble sleeping that night, and I still haven't been able to get the movie's little rhyme out of my head (it makes the title go from ridiculous to freaky in just a few verses!).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14708 on: December 19, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »
I have been dying to see this movie. I'm hoping it come to a theater near me, I'd rather watch it that way than at home on Netflix Instant.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #14709 on: December 20, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »
Saw The Hobbit.  Enjoyed it quite a bit.  Despite being a 2.5 hour action sequence, it's pretty well paced.  While the large epic lacked some of the emotion from LotR,  the smaller duels and close up fights were very well done.   In the end, I am glad they did three films as it's more time spent in Middle Earth.

They put together a music video with footage from all six films using "The Last Goodbye", the end credits song for this film.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/q8ir8rVl2Z4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/q8ir8rVl2Z4</a>

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #14710 on: December 22, 2014, 10:36:24 PM »
The Babadook

Wow! This was great! I always go in expecting the worst with horror movies. But The Babadook is outstanding. It is a horror movie, but it has far more going on beneath the surface. It's a movie I'll be recommending even to friends who don't like horror movies. And Essie Davis was really fantastic in it.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14711 on: December 23, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »
It's a Wonderful Life

Still a brilliant movie.  I think people who only know the broad strokes don't realize what kind of journey George Bailey goes through and the fact that we see a man's life and how his life's regrets and fears are building and that it is about a man who sacrificed so much in his life for selfless reasons finally turning bitter about it when things turn on him.  It's not simply filled with platitudes and some vague Christmas message (technically this could take place at any time, though making it seasonal adds to the sense of stress, tension and finally joy and love that is very well earned and makes sense.

Also Jimmy the Raven is the same one from Wing, Claw and Fang!

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #14712 on: December 23, 2014, 09:11:41 PM »
Hogfather, for probably the 10th time...

Michelle Dockery is so awesome....

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #14713 on: December 24, 2014, 08:08:24 PM »
I need to watch both of those again. Just got a new TV yesterday (48" from a 32"). The new size is startling.

I made a similar jump a few years ago, the first few days I kept thinking "what did I buy?" every time I walked by it, of course after a week you get used to it and start thinking something bigger wouldn't be all that bad....

Just went looking for Hogfather on Blu-Ray, doesn't look like there is a US release for it.  Several released in Europe.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14714 on: December 24, 2014, 09:11:48 PM »
The kids are in bed. Time for my annual viewing of The Apartment.