Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1536865 times)

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14340 on: October 04, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »
I saw Gone Girl today and it was pretty damn awesome. Very dark and very faithful to the source material. It did a great job with everything: being a black comedy, being a murder mystery, being a great movie all around. I highly recommend it.

Oh Ben Affleck, I can't believe I like you. Never thought that would happen.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14341 on: October 04, 2014, 08:56:28 PM »
I've liked him since Argo. He's gotten a lot better. :D

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14342 on: October 04, 2014, 09:57:56 PM »
Caught Gone Girl today too.  Erica and I both loved it.  Neither of us has read the novel yet, but both of us want to now.  We noticed a lot of people laughing toward the beginning at things we weren't getting, but by the end we were laughing more than the rest of the theater.  We were guessing the laughers early on were watching for the second time, catching details that they'd missed before.  It definitely seems like that kind of movie, filled with details and layers that will get better with multiple viewings.  With Fincher behind it, that's not a shock.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #14343 on: October 06, 2014, 04:40:45 AM »
I saw Gone Girl today and it was pretty damn awesome. Very dark and very faithful to the source material. It did a great job with everything: being a black comedy, being a murder mystery, being a great movie all around. I highly recommend it.

Oh Ben Affleck, I can't believe I like you. Never thought that would happen.

I agree with QV, since Argo, I think Affleck has matured and I think he will be a good Bat-Fleck! This from a long time Bat-fan, (as you all know) and a despiser of his "Daredevil" work, (although one of my favourite RIFFTRAX!).

And I really want to see "Gone Girl". I love Fincher... I like Affleck, nowadays.... I love the author... really good writer... better than I will ever be.
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14344 on: October 08, 2014, 07:47:23 PM »
Space Station 76 - Overall I was pretty disappointed by this. It's really very slow and dull. I didn't realize it was just going to be a soap opera in space. A lot of the humor is the awkward type, which I only occasionally laughed at. The best character by far is the adorable little girl. As Tom Servo says "she is aggressively cute." The worst character by far is her mother. Just an aggravatingly annoying character. I wanted to shoot her out of an airlock after five minutes.
  I liked the little toylike robots they had just working around the ship. But by far the funniest thing in the whole movie is all the sequences with Dr. Bot! He was hilarious.
  Unfortunately the ending in particular was very anticlimactic.
  The 70s "future" didn't really do anything for me, as I don't hold any fondness for that decade (and not just because I don't remember it). But if you do, then maybe some of this will have more mileage for you.

Soguru

« Reply #14345 on: October 08, 2014, 08:03:48 PM »
Avengers... I don't know why, but I decided to try and watch it to go to sleep to (That's a f'ing mistake!!!) Anyways, I was surprised to find myself REALLY enjoying it!! After a while I was under the impression I'd feel that it was getting stale, but I found myself loving it all over again.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5084
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14346 on: October 08, 2014, 08:12:31 PM »
People reading this 15 years ago would be confused by your review.  "You even liked the weather machine and the giant teddy bears?"

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14347 on: October 08, 2014, 08:42:06 PM »
Oops - I meant to start posting in here more often, but it's been a couple of months. I did start a new job in that time. I watched 34 movies in that time. Here are some of them:

Wild River: Elia Kazan is becoming a real favourite director. His movies are usually very issues-y, so they can sometimes feel a bit dated too, I suppose. Or maybe 'of its time' is a better way to put it? The government is betting ready to damn part of the Tennessee River, but this means displacing some of the locals, including a family on a small island in the river, who have been there generations. On top of that, they essentially still keep slaves, and the whole town is opposed to the government coming in and telling them what to do. Montgomery Clift stars, post accident, and he's truly fantastic. Very much enjoyed this film.

The Big Combo - Fantastic B-Noir film. A cop is warned away from investigating a big mob boss, and makes one last attempt by trying to get the mob boss' girlfriend to turn on him. It elevates itself above most B-movies though. It's stylish and fun. Liked it a lot.

Night Moves - (The 1975 film, not the recent, unrelated film of the same name) Gene Hackman plays a private detective who's not really doing that well. His wife is cheating on him. He goes looking for a missing 16 year old girl who is going off the rails... It's a bit of a hidden gem, this movie. Recommended. And it sent us on a bit of a 70s film kick.

Sorcerer - A very good film, though I didn't enjoy it as much as the earlier version (The Wages of Fear). It's different enough that it's well worth watching.

The African Queen - Just tremendous all around. A great adventure and great performances. John Huston is such an odd director who directed some of the best films of all time, but also so many turkeys.

Rocky - I've been wanting to watch this for a while, but my wife was resistant because it was a 'boxing movie.' Of course it isn't really. We both really enjoyed it, much to my wife's surprise. Not sure I could convince her to watch sequels though...

Get Carter - (Original) Boy oh boy. Dark film. Super cool though.

Red River - I prefer John Ford Westerns over Howard Hawks, and this started a bit dryly, but once it got going, it was a fun movie. Great to see Montgomery Clift pre accident. He really was very handsome, and talented.

Godzilla - (2014) Didn't buy into the hype, especially after hating Pacific Rim as much as I did, but actually I found the film to be really enjoyable. Not sure I'd bother watching it again, but it was a lot of fun.

The Sacrament - Mixed reviews on this one, but we mostly enjoy Ti West's films, so we gave it a go, and we found it to be very effective. It's basically a fictionalised version of the Jonestown Massacre. People are calling it a found footage movie, but it's not really - the premise is people from Vice are making a documentary about this cult, and the film is made up of that footage. Anyway, it's a 'small' film, but we liked it.

La vie de Bohème - A very cheeky adaptation of the novel, updated to contemporary Paris, but set in the suburbs following three loser artists. Really had a great time with this film.

An American Werewolf in London - Meh. It was OK. Had great effects. Was easy to watch. Has not-much of an ending. Left me just thinking it was fine.

The Fury - Started really strong, but loses steam once it moves away from the father and son. Again, is fine, but not a classic. De Palma does a lot of great things in the film, he is a stylish director that I'm coming to appreciate more and more, and perhaps if I saw this film earlier, it might have had more of an impact.

Cool Hand Luke - Paul Newman (the greatest actor of all time) plays a troubled young man who seemingly deliberately gets himself in trouble with the law because he doesn't really know what to do with himself since he got back from the Korean War. Then it becomes a prison drama and it is gripping, funny in places and just as great as its reputation suggests.

They Came Together - I am not sure how this movie came to be. It is all over the shop. Some of the comedy falls so flat it's hard to even imagine it wasn't rewritten on the set. BUT, on the whole, if you take it for what it is and go along for the ride, you could easily have a great time with this. We did.

The Two Faces of January - My wife is a huge fan of Patricia Highsmith novels, especially the Ripley series, so we checked out this recent adaptation of one of her books starring Viggo Mortensen, Oscar Isaac and Kirsten Dunst. It's a good enough film - The ending doesn't quite get as tense as it wants to, but it's an easy watch. Feels very similar to The Talented Mr Ripley actually.

The rest of the films that we watched:

The City of the Dead, Attack of the Puppet People, The Muppets (rewatched), The French Connection (rewatched), Yambao, Sweet Bird of Youth, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Prize, The Gold Rush (1925 version), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (rewatch), Zindy, the Swamp-Boy, Sisters of Death, Skyfall (rewatch), The Bride and the Beast
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14348 on: October 08, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »
Wow. First time I've ever heard of someone just having such a lukewarm reaction to American Werewolf in London.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14349 on: October 08, 2014, 08:58:39 PM »
Wow. First time I've ever heard of someone just having such a lukewarm reaction to American Werewolf in London.

Really? I mean you think everyone watching it today for the first time would be blown away?
FINE

Soguru

« Reply #14350 on: October 09, 2014, 02:16:28 AM »
People reading this 15 years ago would be confused by your review.  "You even liked the weather machine and the giant teddy bears?"
We are talking about the Care Bears movie right?

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5084
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14351 on: October 09, 2014, 07:00:44 AM »

An American Werewolf in London - Meh. It was OK. Had great effects. Was easy to watch. Has not-much of an ending. Left me just thinking it was fine.

I really like the movie, but I'm surprised anyone can mention the movie without mentioning "See You Next Wednesday".  That shit was hi-larious.  I would watch an entire movie of that.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #14352 on: October 09, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »

Really? I mean you think everyone watching it today for the first time would be blown away?

It's about on par with Ghostbusters for me as far as character driven genre comedy so I imagine both would hold up.  That said I'm not sure I've spoken to someone whose watched either for the first time recently.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14353 on: October 09, 2014, 05:00:34 PM »

It's about on par with Ghostbusters for me as far as character driven genre comedy so I imagine both would hold up.  That said I'm not sure I've spoken to someone whose watched either for the first time recently.

Hard to judge as I've seen Ghostbusters a million times and since I was young and impressionable, but AWiL never NEVER hits any kind of comedy heights like GB does. Not even close.

In fact, I'd argue that comedy isn't as high on its list of priorities, unlike Ghostbusters. If I went to AWiL looking for a comedy movie, it would be even more of a fail. As it is, I just found it a watchable distraction. Not terrible, not great.

Just googled it to see how crazy I was, and this Roger Ebert review pretty much hits the nail on the head for me: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/an-american-werewolf-in-london
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14354 on: October 09, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »
Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Eh. Super hero movies outside of the MCU are never as fun or good. This is prefectly watchable, but largely unmemorable. The fight scene at the end becomes very much like a video game and doesn't feel very 'real' (a silly criticism in a movie about a boy with spider powers fighting a man with electricity powers, I know).

Surprised I hadn't heard about the ending this late after the movie came out, but I have to assume that speaks to how bored of Spider-Man people are at this point.

FINE