Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1538412 times)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5087
  • Mr. Robot
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #14265 on: September 07, 2014, 07:57:14 AM »
Indie Game: The Movie

A wonderful documentary on the pressures of a small number of people dedicating their lives to making independent video games and the sacrifices and challenges they face.  The subjects are not always likable (except Edmund McMillan, who is probably, by far, the most well-adjusted of every person they talked to), though much of that probably also has a lot to do with all of the subjects seemingly ready to crack under the pressure at any moment.  It is a very human film and doesn't devolve into fanboyism (which I'm given to understand Video Game: the Movie completely does, giving actual very little context or message beyond "video games exist"), instead letting us into their world and where these guys come from.

No one comes off as "bad" in the movie (arguably Fez creators Phil Fish's ex-partner, but how their break-up affects Fish rather than who said partner is), but a lot of them seem to be very high strung or overly sensitive (Jonathan Blow seems incredibly smart and thoughtful, but can't seem to deal with the fact that when you release a piece of art, how people receive it is out of your hand).  This is why I think Edmund McMillan is so essential to making this movie work.  He's as stressed out as anyone, working hard for his personal vision but he seems better at keeping a strong front and a good sense of humour, probably in no small part to his supportive wife (probably the most moving part of the film is him asking his wife if this lifestyle works for her).

Edmund actually reminds me a lot of Guillermo del Toro.  Beyond the superficial love of monsters and the grotesque, he is also some who uses these ideas to explore himself in a way that it also accessible and fun.  And I could listen to the guy talk for a while.  And they don't look entirely dissimilar (if they ended up working on a project together, I would not be surprised).

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #14266 on: September 07, 2014, 08:39:47 AM »
I watched Worlds Greatest Dad last night. It was a pretty damned weird movie...

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14267 on: September 07, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
I've heard good things and that it is a very dark movie.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5644
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14268 on: September 07, 2014, 08:49:26 AM »
I just want to see a super hero movie where the studio/director actually take some risks and make something unique.

Ang Lee's Hulk was that, wasn't it? It was unwatchable.
Yes, and yes.

It made for a great Quiptracks riff, though.

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 406
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #14269 on: September 07, 2014, 11:22:59 AM »
World's Greatest Dad is one of the very few movies I've enjoyed Robin Williams in.
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #14270 on: September 07, 2014, 11:32:37 AM »
World's Greatest Dad is one of the very few movies I've enjoyed Robin Williams in.

It is his last great performance. Which is sad on a few levels for varying reasons, but still, great performance for a great (and crazy dark) movie. Which is also quite funny and remarkably uplifting, albeit also in a pretty dark way.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3114
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #14271 on: September 07, 2014, 03:53:14 PM »
The only downside to building up to the Infinity Gauntlet is that so many of these movies are McGuffin chases. We have, what, three of them identified so far?

http://screenrant.com/infinity-stones-gauntlet-marvel-movies/

The Cube is the Space Gem
The Space Kool-Aid from Thor 2 is the Reality Gem
The Orb from Guardians of the Galaxy is the Power Gem

I'm not sure I really buy that the one in Loki's staff is the Mind Gem, because it apparently came from Thanos. And I seriously doubt he is going to just hand an Infinity Gem over to an assistant.

But that means we have at least two (maybe 3) more McGuffin chasing movies to establish the other Gems. And even more with Thanos actually getting them one at a time.

Eh, what's wrong with a good ol' fashioned McGuffin chase? All of my favorite movies are McGuffin Chases. Some of the most revered movies ever were McGuffin chases. CITIZEN KANE- the Citizen Kane of movies- was a McGuffin chase.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3549
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14272 on: September 07, 2014, 05:01:39 PM »
Terms of Endearment would have been much better with a chase scene.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #14273 on: September 07, 2014, 05:30:10 PM »
I just want to see a super hero movie where the studio/director actually take some risks and make something unique.

Ang Lee's Hulk was that, wasn't it? It was unwatchable.

Just because one director tried something new and it didn't work doesn't mean it can't be done. I find that notion ludicrous.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4352
« Reply #14274 on: September 07, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »
Watchmen?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #14275 on: September 07, 2014, 06:15:27 PM »

It seems that way now, but most of the properties Marvel made were risks.

Iron Man was a not a known character before the movies happened, Hulk had a recent flop, Thor was considered ridiculous, and Captain America was considered unmarketable outside of the US. Not to mention setting them all up as a single universe and then making the Avengers.

And then there's GotG.

It's easy to look back from here and think it all is just them making safe moves, but it wasn't before they did it.
FINE

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #14276 on: September 07, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »

Iron Man was a not a known character before the movies happened, Hulk had a recent flop, Thor was considered ridiculous, and Captain America was considered unmarketable outside of the US. Not to mention setting them all up as a single universe and then making the Avengers.

And then there's GotG.

It's easy to look back from here and think it all is just them making safe moves, but it wasn't before they did it.

With the exception of the Hulk film, I don't recall any of the Marvel films flopping, they had massive budgets and made massive profits.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #14277 on: September 07, 2014, 07:26:42 PM »
God Help the Girl - ridiculously twee and sadly kind of boring.

So is that a thumbs up or down?

Thumbs up for my husband, thumbs down for me.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14278 on: September 07, 2014, 07:30:08 PM »

And then there's GotG.

With the exception of the Hulk film, I don't recall any of the Marvel films flopping, they had massive budgets and made massive profits.

Like Howard the Duck, Elektra and Man-Thing.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #14279 on: September 07, 2014, 07:45:48 PM »

And then there's GotG.

Like Howard the Duck, Elektra and Man-Thing.

Howard the Duck eventually broke even.

Elektra probably made a slight profit if you look at the worldwide box office number.

Man-Thing?  That was a direct to video movie, it only has box office numbers because they decided to throw it into a few international theaters.  Even then, it made a big profit since it had low production costs.

The only real box office bomb was Punisher: War Zone, that grossed only about 1/3 of its production cost