Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1586428 times)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13800 on: March 19, 2014, 08:57:43 PM »
Was it me or did Frozen have a LOT of songs? like more than your usual Disney movie/musical?

I got the feeling it was almost planned to have a spin-off Broadway musical version.
FINE

Offline Quirk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 407
  • Second Quirk, same as the first
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #13801 on: March 20, 2014, 06:43:54 AM »
Looking back on Frozen, I think the plot was a really good one, with the ending being quite significant. I didn't enjoy it while I watched it, though, because I don't think Disney is even a little bit funny (well, no, I laughed when the sled blew up, which was such a strange moment for the film). I hate the obligatory Disney animal that is intelligent and reacts to stuff (especially in this one because they tried to act like the guy was weird for talking to his wise, hyper-intelligent reindeer). Olaf was exactly as horrible as the trailers made him seem, and he had no point at all.

The songs were mostly really enjoyable, especially Let It Go, but the dumb fixer-upper song was obnoxious and clearly shoehorned in to put a song in the second half.

And I'm starting to look like a joyless bastard on these boards.  :-\  My sense of humor spreads joy to young and old alike, I swear!  :speechless:
QuipTracks VS Alone in the Dark is NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #13802 on: March 20, 2014, 07:55:13 AM »
Olaf was exactly as horrible as the trailers made him seem, and he had no point at all.

I'm not going to argue with you about how great and hilarious Olaf was, because humor and enjoyment are entirely subjective, but I'm really baffled as how you can say he had "no point". Thematically, he was a representation of what the sisters mean to each other, a living relic of their happier days together. Story-wise, he's the first real indicator of Elsa's true power, and he's a key instigator in the final act of the film.

And on a subjective note, "In Summer" is far and away my favorite song in the film, and the most Bobby Lopez-y of all of them. The lyrics are hilarious; I'd even go so far as to say it's least as good as anything he wrote for Avenue Q, Book of Mormon, or the Scrubs musical episode. :P

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13803 on: March 20, 2014, 09:52:37 AM »
What that guy said.

This spoilerific scene kinda sums it all up. He is able to walk a good line between getting the laughs and having wonderfully heartwarming lines, all due to how impossibly chipper he is. Also it's that Key Instigator scene, as mentioned above.

Also, I will say that however much I loved the movie and the songs, I probably could've done without both the trolls and fixer-upper. I laughed at them fine, but the movie would've been just fine without them (although that would mean losing the rock scene and Olaf's "Why aren't you running?" bit...)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13804 on: March 20, 2014, 09:58:30 AM »
The Troll's song was inexcusably annoying and useless. But they bring up another problem in the movie. As the only other magical creatures we see in the movie, why didn't they train her as she grew up to control her powers? That is the ENTIRE CONFLICT in the movie after all.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13805 on: March 20, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »
Troll Song was my cue to take a much-needed bathroom break. The Blu-ray will be my first time seeing that song, and I can confirm that the movie is just fine without it.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13806 on: March 20, 2014, 10:26:44 AM »
The Troll's song was inexcusably annoying and useless. But they bring up another problem in the movie. As the only other magical creatures we see in the movie, why didn't they train her as she grew up to control her powers? That is the ENTIRE CONFLICT in the movie after all.

They did help Elsa, though. They told her what to do to keep her powers in check at the beginning. Just because something's magical doesn't mean it knows how all magic works. Magic is like martial arts. Just because you're a 90th degree blackbelt in Karate doesn't mean you're able to train people in Jujitsu.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13807 on: March 21, 2014, 09:56:30 AM »
The To Do List

It was okay. Certainly had some funny parts. I like pretty much everybody in it. It's worth watching, but get it from Redbox or something. Don't rent it on iTunes for $4 or something.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #13808 on: March 21, 2014, 11:46:18 PM »
Was it me or did Frozen have a LOT of songs? like more than your usual Disney movie/musical?

I got the feeling it was almost planned to have a spin-off Broadway musical version.

My thoughts exactly. While watching the movie in the theater, I just couldn't help thinking "Let It Go" sounded very Broadway-ish. Then I checked IMDb after we got the bluray, saw the actress playing Elsa and realized why.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13809 on: March 22, 2014, 04:39:25 PM »
Muppets Most Wanted - Eh, it was okay at best. Primarily, it was just only really sporadically funny.
I didn't like that they rehashed the whole Piggy and Kermit thing AGAIN. Seriously, it's just tired by now. We've been through it. The only moment in that that I liked was that Miss Piggy could tell them apart because of Kermit's hesitation.
  There were a TON of musical numbers. And only a few of them were as good as what we are used to.
  A minor detail, but it seemed odd that they would have a character (Ty Burrell as Jean Pierre Napoleon, a French Interpol inspector) whos silly accent makes him pronounce the Muppets as "the moopits", when in the previous movie (which they acknowledge is in continuity) had characters actually called The Moopits.
  And one utterly unforgivable moment. They COMPLETELY botched Link's voice. He only has one line, but whoever does his voice now doesn't sound a thing like the original. Link was one of my favorites (and my Dad's favorite), all because of that hilarious dumb voice.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13810 on: March 23, 2014, 08:11:47 AM »
21 Jump Street

Watched it with a friend who hadn't seen it yet.  It's pretty great.  Forgot that Alison Brie was in the movie, she does a good job.  Now I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #13811 on: March 27, 2014, 11:08:13 AM »
Soshite Chichi ni Naru (And so, one becomes a Father) 2013

(Eng. title: Like Father, Like Son)

Again, Kirokazu Kore-eda delivers one of the greatest novellas on contemporary Japanese society (and contemporary families in general) - I think he's a wonder.

.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13812 on: March 28, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »
Watched Noah last night. Genuinely next-level bonkers. But in a good way. It's a legitimately gorgeous film, that borders more on surreal than else. There are parts that are dumb or boring (the ending battle is so tedious and unnecessary). However, there are scenes that work incredibly well. The whole cast did a great job and there are some powerful moments between them. Like Aronofsky's other work (with the exception of The Fountain, which remains my favorite of his) Noah is not the kind of movie I have the desire to watch again. It features some really brutal and difficult-to-watch violence. It's was deeply unsettling to me, and I'm not a squeamish person.

Tonight, I watched Short Term 12, which I freaking loved. Sure, it has some indie cliches, but Brie Larson is so outstanding (as is Lakeith Lee Stanfield) you really won't care. I completely recommend this one to everyone.

Offline PsychoGoatee

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 140
  • We are the road crew!
« Reply #13813 on: March 28, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »
Just saw Sabotage, the new Schwarzenegger flick by David Ayer, very very cool stuff. Hard boiled mashismo-tastic violent thriller, cool stuff.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13814 on: March 29, 2014, 06:27:46 AM »
I need to see Noah, for nothing if not out of respect for Aronofsky looking at the BIBLE and saying "Hmmmm, yeah, that's pretty good... Let's make it better!" That takes SERIOUS guts.