Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1583431 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13710 on: February 16, 2014, 08:14:25 PM »
I've never been all that fond of the first half of Predator. Until the Predator starts really doing stuff, it's just a generic (albeit well made) commando movie. Yeah, yeah, you're tough mercenaries, I don't care about the damn political...whatever generically bad asian badguys you are chasing, GET TO THE GODDAMN ALIEN!

But not before you GET TO THE CHOPPA!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5897
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13711 on: February 16, 2014, 08:18:16 PM »
I've never been all that fond of the first half of Predator. Until the Predator starts really doing stuff, it's just a generic (albeit well made) commando movie. Yeah, yeah, you're tough mercenaries, I don't care about the damn political...whatever generically bad asian badguys you are chasing, GET TO THE GODDAMN ALIEN!

But not before you GET TO THE CHOPPA!
Yeah, I like that about Predator 2 as well. Danny Glover can speak English!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13712 on: February 18, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »
Finally got around to seeing CHAPLIN. It's okay, not really great or anything. Mostly too long and not much very interesting happens for a lot of it. It also suffers from not giving enough time designation so it's often difficult to tell if and how much time has passed between scenes. It's worth watching though for Robert Downey Jr.'s excellent performance.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13713 on: February 21, 2014, 07:06:59 PM »
The Monuments Men

Man, this was infuriating. It's such a great story to base a movie on, and they had so many great actors. And this movie is just all over the place. The writing is really bad. The jokes might have been funny in the 60s. Then tonally, it will go from "super-wacky-fun-hijinks" to "holocaust" in 2 seconds. Just made me so freaking mad cause it should have been great.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13714 on: February 22, 2014, 01:59:17 PM »
The Monuments Men

Man, this was infuriating. It's such a great story to base a movie on, and they had so many great actors. And this movie is just all over the place. The writing is really bad. The jokes might have been funny in the 60s. Then tonally, it will go from "super-wacky-fun-hijinks" to "holocaust" in 2 seconds. Just made me so freaking mad cause it should have been great.

I knew it was going to be bad when they started previewing it before every single movie showing and on constant TV adverts for almost a year. The last/recent movies that used this tactic were John Carter, The Lone Ranger, After Earth, and Interns and those all were basically awful. I think the studios realize how crappy their movie is and just go all in on advertising to try and sucker as many uninformed movie patrons as possible.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13715 on: February 23, 2014, 06:52:21 PM »
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters - Overall not that good. When it's okay, it's merely okay. But when it's bad WOW is it bad. Mostly the cab drivers scene, and the talking snakes on Mercury's staff, as well as the shitty acting by the kid playing the bad guy. Only a few jokes made me chuckle. And KRONOS at the end was embarrassingly easy to kill. I can give the first one a pass, but not this one.

Oh, and there was only one monster we saw in the Sea of MonsterS, I call bullshit.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #13716 on: February 23, 2014, 09:10:22 PM »
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters - Overall not that good. When it's okay, it's merely okay. But when it's bad WOW is it bad. Mostly the cab drivers scene, and the talking snakes on Mercury's staff, as well as the shitty acting by the kid playing the bad guy. Only a few jokes made me chuckle. And KRONOS at the end was embarrassingly easy to kill. I can give the first one a pass, but not this one.

Oh, and there was only one monster we saw in the Sea of MonsterS, I call bullshit.

If you're a fan of Annabeth and are a warm blooded male you should probably watch True Detective.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13717 on: February 23, 2014, 10:56:05 PM »
You're Next - Really fun horror, not up there with Cabin in the Woods or Tucker and Dale but more obviously tounge in cheek than, say Drag me to Hell.

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13718 on: February 24, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »
You're Next - Really fun horror, not up there with Cabin in the Woods or Tucker and Dale but more obviously tounge in cheek than, say Drag me to Hell.

I'm not sure I'd call this one tongue in cheek (certainly not compared to Drag Me to Hell). It's totally sincere, it just manages to be really good (and occasionally funny) while doing so. Why horror's reached a point where we've forgotten that's really possible, I have no idea.

Offline d00hickey

• Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13719 on: February 24, 2014, 06:43:58 PM »

I'm not sure I'd call this one tongue in cheek (certainly not compared to Drag Me to Hell). It's totally sincere, it just manages to be really good (and occasionally funny) while doing so. Why horror's reached a point where we've forgotten that's really possible, I have no idea.

I wan't to watch this again because when I watched it I was in an extremely anxiety ridden state. The Aussie girl was super cute and good in it though. I have to say I don't recall it being 'tongue in cheek' but very serious. 

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13720 on: February 25, 2014, 12:08:41 AM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fair point, I probably used the wrong term.  It's knowingly over the top but in a fun way as opposed to a lampooning of the genre.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Malt

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 89
« Reply #13721 on: February 25, 2014, 08:14:44 PM »
I saw the new Robocop last night. It was surprisingly good. I loved Samuel L. Jackson as the propaganda pushing pundit. I feel like he must have really liked the originals based on his performance. There were a lot of impressive visuals. The pacing was good. I liked watching Michael Keaton and Gary Oldman yell at one another. There was plenty of action, and a few quips to chuckle at. The Clash's I Fought The Law played at the end credits. That being said, the violence in the movie felt tame compared to the originals and the humor wasn't as dark. (Remember when Robocop reads the dead guy his miranda rights? Now he tases people and does the same bit.) I guess they did what they could with a PG-13 rating, and that is what is going to make them the most money, but I wanted to see the sort of gruesome fare that peeled my eyes open as a kid.

Good movie, but a film with Robocop as the title shouldn't be pulling punches.

This is exactly what I was afraid of. Oh well, sounds like it was still decent overall...

Offline RandyMistie

• Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #13722 on: February 25, 2014, 10:14:49 PM »
The original Robocop ruled. There is a creeping temerity in our society that alarms me....

"You have ten seconds to comply...."
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13723 on: February 27, 2014, 11:46:24 PM »
Oh yeah, I guess I should be posting more often. Enough of this constant lurkerness.

Non-Stop. Actually a lot of fun. Liam Neeson puts in one of his better gruff-action-type roles, and he's surrounded by an equally-capable cast. The story gets somewhat ludicrous as it goes along, mostly with regards to the crazy amount of coincidences (and impossible forethought on the villain's part) that are necessary for things to work as they do, but the movie makes it work. It keeps things at just the right level of deadpan serious that you go along with it. It's funny when it needs to be, and remarkably tense as well. It's even got a bit of a political agenda, but it doesn't get preachy about it. This is what a good action b-movie should be like, and it's a shame there's not more of them these days (unlike the painfully forgettable 3 Days to Kill, for instance).

RoboCop (remake). Watched this one back on opening day, but didn't get around to saying anything until now. Not that there's much to say, though. I give the movie credit for making an earnest attempt to actually be its own thing, and to try and say a few things about drone warfare/corporate-police relations in the process. But it never really goes anywhere with those ideas, just presents snippets of food for thought and then ducks back to the remarkably bland story of Murphy becoming a robot and his family trying to deal with it. The action sequences are generally uninspired, the bad guys forgettable (and, in the third act, get really stupid all of a sudden for no good reason), and the movie as a whole lacks any real punch. It's not bad, it's not great, it's just alright. Inoffensively watchable, good for a conversation or two, and then shelved forever. Which seems to be about the best most modern remakes can hope for.

Running Scared. I really liked this one. It's got a crazed, almost demented shooting style about it, one that's hyper-stylized to the point of near irritation (see: the blacklight-bathed finale), but considering how gonzo the rest of the movie is, I think that's appropriate. Paul Walker gives a genuinely fantastic performance, one that's just the right balance between determined and dangerously unhinged. It's somewhat depressing that it can now officially be called the performance of his career, but there's no shame there. The plot progresses to some strange places, to the point where it seems like every cartoonishly evil person in NYC is out and about one night, and it's almost too much. Again, though, the movie makes it work, thanks largely to the whole thing essentially being a fairy tale of sorts. Just one that's about as hard-R as you can get. It also features a sequence that's among the most tense I've seen in quite some time, and was so over-the-top about it that it actually looped back around to being simply raw. A solid little actioner that keeps a great pace throughout, save for a few stumbles at the very end. Definitely one folks should check out.

Okay, back to lurking now.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #13724 on: March 01, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »
I watched Despicable Me 2 again today, to see how it held up. It was only just 'okay' originally, and I think it fared worse this time around. STOP PULLING GRU AWAY FROM WHAT MAKES HIM INTERESTING! This is a movie series that would actually be improved by having a prequel, so that we can see Gru in his prime. I don't mind the girls, I really don't. They are supposed to be cute, and they are. But if you are here at a movie called DESPICABLE ME to see little girls being adorable, something has gone seriously wrong.
  And of all the girls to concentrate on, why the hell is the only one we don't spend time with the one that is apparently training herself to be a NINJA! Are you kidding me?! You have a supervillain giving it all up to raise kids and you have one of them who wants to be a hero or villain (we're not sure which). They could make the main emotional thrust of a movie around his reaction to that. That would be FAR more interesting.
  I wish Anti-Villain League had turned out to be more important. Like if they were the villains at the end. When I saw the trailer for the first time, I was sure Ramsbottom was going to be a villain. But now, especially seeing it a second time, it's just a clumsy way of
  It REALLY needed someone as fun and geeky as Vector for him to bounce off of. El Macho is a nice idea on paper (and his 'death scene' is hilarious), but in the movie he just doesn't turn out to be very interesting.