Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582092 times)

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13635 on: January 19, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
Stir of Echoes - Good but not great supernatural thriller.  Overall, I don't think it is all that great, but there are lots of great bits.  There's a nice bit at the beginning where the little boy who is clearly talking to a ghost does so by talking to the camera.  It sounds like it shouldn't work, but it is somehow more unsettling.  Still, there's a bit of sentimentality that doesn't work, a few character missteps and some generic horror movie stuff (although I think they did some of those surprise scares a little better through stronger editing.  It feels like they could have made it all a bit more unsettling, though.

So much of this movie is a blatant Shining ripoff, it's a fun watch though.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5177
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13636 on: January 19, 2014, 05:42:02 PM »
Really, I don't see that at all.  What about the movie makes it a Shining rip-off?

Offline d00hickey

• Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13637 on: January 19, 2014, 06:27:35 PM »
Kid sees and talks to ghost
Dad goes crazy
Friendly old black guy can also see/talks to ghost

Those are the three I remember off the top of my head, but I remember seeing them constantly while watching.

I would change my wording from "blatant ripoff" to "ham handedly inspired by he Shining 

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13638 on: January 22, 2014, 11:26:05 AM »
I've been busy volunteering at Sundance, so I've got a few movies queued up that I can talk about.  I'll just start with the one I saw last night.

God Help The Girl

A Belle & Sebastian musical?  Yes, please.  This movie is about a girl in Glasgow (Emily Browning) using music to cope with some mental issues.  She meets some friends that also love music, and they start writing stuff together.  The actors sing and dance throughout the movie, and it is just delightful.  I really liked it.  It's sort of like Once, but with Belle & Sebastian and more dancing.  I can't wait to see this movie again.

It was written and directed by Stuart Murdoch (from Belle & Sebastian).  He gave a great, casual, Q&A after the movie.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:28:04 AM by Kete »

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #13639 on: January 22, 2014, 01:02:11 PM »
I've been following this, sort of, being a fan of Belle & Sebastian and God Help the Girl and really, just Stuart Murdoch in general. So glad to hear you liked it! I was going to make a point of catching it, but I'm relieved that it will be fairly enjoyable and not a slog through something I need to see as a fan.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 526
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #13640 on: January 22, 2014, 05:30:40 PM »
Lolita (1962, Stanley Kubrick) is a film of overlapping, triangular desires. It's commonly thought of as a portrait of an older man's perverse desire for a young girl, but the peripheral desires on display -- Charlotte's for Humbert, Lolita's for Clare -- allow more universal truths about the nature of desire to seep in: several times over, it becomes a demonstration of possessive love and the subject's inevitable, consequential loss of power. Film generally cannot access the tight first person singular vantage point that literature can, and this movie walks a fine line between identifying with and distancing itself from Humbert's desire, presenting it in more objective detail as he plays the parts of both desired object and lustful subject.

The entire movie operates with a kind of dream logic. Humbert struggles to create this dreamy, hermetic world around his love object, which is repeatedly violated by Clare, his own personal demon that haunts his life, a metaphor and manifestation of his fears and anxieties. The climactic scene, in which Humbert kills Clare, which is taken out of the chronology and placed at the beginning for dramatic effect, is less a murder in reality than the nightmarish exorcising of this demon. Taken straight, the story has some incredible coincidences, which only reinforces the dreamlike quality of it all.

It's full of stellar performances, although Peter Sellers tries to steal the show several times, dragging his impishly funny caricatures so far into the realm of comedy that the movie ends up feeling off balance in places, but that's a minor criticism. This is an impressive film, much better than I had remembered.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 06:08:48 PM by Charles Foster Castle »
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5177
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13641 on: January 22, 2014, 05:47:06 PM »
Frozen
A good movie, but I don't know if it is going to stay with me.  It is very well-crafted in terms of character and story, but while the comedy made me smile, very little of it hit hard and while I wasn't left cold (no pun intended), I didn't feel emotionally invested as I feel the film wanted, though I was always entertained.  So basically, it is a positive review, but it feels like it's missing something that makes it for me,  I guess it also doesn't help that while the songs are very well done, they are not going to stick with me.  That said, the whole movie cfeels much more accomplished than even most of the better DreamWorks and other non-Disney animated family films.

Also the short at the beginning was AWESOME!

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13642 on: January 23, 2014, 09:51:58 AM »
Life After Beth

I was able to catch this one during my shift last night.  It was very nice to not have to wait in line this time.

Dane DeHaan (Chronicle) plays a kids whose girlfriend just died, but she's back!  And she's a little different.  Aubrey Plaza plays the girlfriend, and the cast also includes John C Reilly, Molly Shannon, Paul Reiser, Cheryl Hines, and Anna Kendrick.  The plot is sort of like if Plan 9 had succeeded.  People just seem to start coming back from the dead.  For the most part, it's another run-of-the-mill zombie movie.  The zombies do take their time becoming zombies which is interesting.  They start out acting somewhat normal, but then slowly start getting angrier and hungrier.  This wasn't the worst zombie movie that I saw at Sundance.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13643 on: January 25, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »
Raze-Zoe Bell produced and starred in this brutal film about abducted women forced to fight to the death for the amusement of a mysterious society.  The plot was very straightforward, the focus was all on the characters and the fights, and both of those elements were very strong.  The characters develop their relationships very well even with limited interactions, and by the end you can't help but root for several of them, and absolutely despise at least one.  I was very impressed with the fact that even when the movie had some funny moments, it never diminished the brutality or ugliness of its premise. 

I've seen people bashing the movie, mainly people who were expecting either a feminist empowerment movie or wanking material.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Erica and I saw this last night at Alamo Drafthouse with Zoe herself in attendance.  She came out for a little introduction than sat one row in front of us during the movie.  It was pretty cool to see how into the movie she got, by the end when the last few fights were going we kept seeing her leaning forward and practically bouncing with excitement.  There was a Q and A afterward, which was fun.  Zoe is pretty much exactly what you would expect after watching the diner scene in Death Proof.  Obviously a tough and hard-working chick, but at the same time cheerful funny and adorable.  She said more than once that she'd love to do a romantic comedy next.  "Something where I can just cry and make out with someone instead of kill a bunch of people."
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13644 on: January 25, 2014, 06:57:38 PM »
I Frankenstein - Soooo bad, and in such a riffable way. This is truly just as Van Helsing-esque as it looks from the trailers.
  Exposition dialogue  up the stitched together wazoo. Including lots of additional narration. CGI fights all over the place. The "demon" heads are hilarious Buffy/Dylan Dog/Power Rangers silly prosthetics. The demons burn away like a bargain basement version of the vampires in Blade. They can be destroyed by anything with a simple symbol on it (including just drawing that symbol on them). And Frankenstein's weapon of choice are two STICKS.
  But the big kicker is still SEXY FRANKENSTEIN! The fact that Aaron Eckhart has no prosthetics except a few 'scars' that don't really look like he was sewn together. I like Eckhart, and he could have made a good Frankenstein had he worn full body prosthetics to make him look like, well, a sewn together hideous monster. Hell, they even make a point of saying that he was made from 8 different people! I did like that except when he has to give exposition for no reason, and the aforementioned narration, Eckhart wisely keeps his character silent a lot of the time.
  I will say two more good things. Even though the main part of it takes place in modern time, they don't use guns. I really hate it when interesting supernatural creatures just end up depending on guns and mainly just guns alone (I'm looking at you Underworld). Even though given their particular weaknesses killing each other with certain types of bullets would have made sense. It would have made the fight scenes very generic and reminiscent of any other action movie. So instead they are reminiscent of other crappy movies. Also, while I am not a stickler for the whole "his name isn't Frankenstein" thing like some people are, they do get it right here. He's not called Frankenstein as if that were his first or only name.

All in all, only go to see it if somebody (hopefully Quiptracks) riffs it, or you just want to laugh at it on it's own.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
« Reply #13645 on: January 25, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »
I Frankenstein - Soooo bad, and in such a riffable way. This is truly just as Van Helsing-esque as it looks from the trailers.
  Exposition dialogue  up the stitched together wazoo. Including lots of additional narration. CGI fights all over the place. The "demon" heads are hilarious Buffy/Dylan Dog/Power Rangers silly prosthetics. The demons burn away like a bargain basement version of the vampires in Blade. They can be destroyed by anything with a simple symbol on it (including just drawing that symbol on them). And Frankenstein's weapon of choice are two STICKS.
  But the big kicker is still SEXY FRANKENSTEIN! The fact that Aaron Eckhart has no prosthetics except a few 'scars' that don't really look like he was sewn together. I like Eckhart, and he could have made a good Frankenstein had he worn full body prosthetics to make him look like, well, a sewn together hideous monster. Hell, they even make a point of saying that he was made from 8 different people! I did like that except when he has to give exposition for no reason, and the aforementioned narration, Eckhart wisely keeps his character silent a lot of the time.
  I will say two more good things. Even though the main part of it takes place in modern time, they don't use guns. I really hate it when interesting supernatural creatures just end up depending on guns and mainly just guns alone (I'm looking at you Underworld). Even though given their particular weaknesses killing each other with certain types of bullets would have made sense. It would have made the fight scenes very generic and reminiscent of any other action movie. So instead they are reminiscent of other crappy movies. Also, while I am not a stickler for the whole "his name isn't Frankenstein" thing like some people are, they do get it right here. He's not called Frankenstein as if that were his first or only name.

All in all, only go to see it if somebody (hopefully Quiptracks) riffs it, or you just want to laugh at it on it's own.
With a title like that, it's begging for at least one Asimov reference or joke.

Offline doggans

• Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #13646 on: January 25, 2014, 07:51:52 PM »
I don't plan on seeing I, Frankenstein anytime soon, but I can't imagine anything in the film is funnier than the misplaced bus ad.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13647 on: January 25, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »

With a title like that, it's begging for at least one Asimov reference or joke.
And MANY Apple jokes.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13648 on: January 26, 2014, 08:58:06 PM »
They Came Together

Dare I say,  I liked this movie even better than Wet Hot American Summer? This movie reunites David Wain, Paul Rudd, Amy Poehler,  Michael Showalter, and Christopher Meloni from Wet Hot American Summer. It's a spoof on romantic comedies,  and is hilarious all they way through. The humor is the same bizarre, simplistic style from Stella and The State, and it really works. I think this will be out this Summer, so check it out.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13649 on: January 27, 2014, 06:36:49 AM »
Is this in theaters or on video? I want to see it now.

Sorry, it was at Sundance. I've got a batch of movies from there that I've been posting about.