Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1537331 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13380 on: October 28, 2013, 03:02:15 PM »
Reminds me I have to attempt to watch Battleship someday...

I'd say the key to enjoying Pacific Rim is to just go along for the ride, I thought the movie allowed you to do this much better than most big monster movies, or even most movies like this that have a fairly stupid premise.

Probably also helps to watch it on the biggest screen you can.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13381 on: October 28, 2013, 06:03:55 PM »
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Battleship.  It's a cheesy shallow movie, but still fun.  I did enjoy Pacific Rim far more than it though.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13382 on: October 28, 2013, 06:08:41 PM »
There is nothing I like more than a great, well made movie but I spend a lot of time with my guilty pleasure of cheesy, usually horror, movies.

Offline anais.butterfly

• Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #13383 on: October 28, 2013, 06:15:52 PM »
I enjoyed Pacific Rim a lot.

I would poke my eyes out before I would "watch" Battleship.

Just to give you where my opinion lies in comparison to yours and Grug's :)

That's your choice, of course, but an opinion on something you haven't seen is pretty worthless.

I'm ok with that.

On a personal note, please never use the term "worthless" to describe anything in regards to me.
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13384 on: October 28, 2013, 06:47:37 PM »

That's your choice, of course, but an opinion on something you haven't seen is pretty worthless.

I'm ok with that.

On a personal note, please never use the term "worthless" to describe anything in regards to me.
If you opinion is from trailers (designed to let a person decide if they want to see the movie or not) or a good movie review (thorough and describing why the reviewers feels the way they do and references other comparisons to give context) then your opinion is certainly not worthless. You came to your decision whether you wanted to see a movie the way you are supposed to come to that conclusion. And given that you said outright you hadn't seen the movie itself, your opinion is honest, and merely secondhand, not worthless.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13385 on: October 28, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »

I'm ok with that.

If you opinion is from trailers (designed to let a person decide if they want to see the movie or not) or a good movie review (thorough and describing why the reviewers feels the way they do and references other comparisons to give context) then your opinion is certainly not worthless. You came to your decision whether you wanted to see a movie the way you are supposed to come to that conclusion. And given that you said outright you hadn't seen the movie itself, your opinion is honest, and merely secondhand, not worthless.

You've never seen a movie that looked good from a trailer and you hated it? Or vice versa? Or a movie that is well reviewed that you didn't care for, or vice versa?

I certainly don't mean to imply anais is in anyway worthless.
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5642
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #13386 on: October 28, 2013, 07:16:07 PM »
You've never seen a movie that looked good from a trailer and you hated it? Or vice versa? Or a movie that is well reviewed that you didn't care for, or vice versa?

Of course I have. Trailers in particular are designed to make people want to watch the movie. Just because you have seen the trailer or read reviews doesn't guarantee that you will or won't like a movie. But at least you've informed yourself in some way before you do or don't see it.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3113
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13387 on: October 29, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »
I find that I'm less likely to enjoy a movie if I've read a review first. Inevitably, the review will point out some tiny (or major) flaw in the movie, because that's what a good review is supposed to do, and then I find myself watching the movie and looking for that flaw, and then it shows up, and sure enough it's there, and I can't ignore it. I love to read reviews AFTER I watched a movie so I can look at the flaws they found and say, "Yup!" or "Didn't care about that. Loved it anyway!" I know that's the opposite of how reviews are supposed to be used, but the only way to know for SURE is to see it.

That said, without reading any reviews and only seeing trailers, I know I wouldn't enjoy Bad Grandpa. I suppose maybe I would, but the odds against it are staggering, and I don't think I'll take that chance. :^)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13388 on: October 29, 2013, 10:48:32 PM »
Yeah, I'm generally with Pak on this. I've already stated many times that I don't watch trailers anymore (also, I've noticed that too many people have developed this weird idea that trailer = movie, when that tends not to be the case as often as it is), but reading reviews is also something I save for after the movie. I'm really trying for a movie to have to explain itself with only itself on the first time through, and bring as little unnecessary baggage in with me as possible (which can be tricky, since even without trailers and reviews I'm on film sites and forums often enough for a general picture of a movie to form before I've seen it).

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13389 on: October 29, 2013, 11:42:36 PM »
There are some times that the trailer can be deliberately misleading, in a very entertaining way.  I'd say Iron Man 3 for an example.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13390 on: October 30, 2013, 05:37:21 AM »
Started watching Pacific Rim the other night. We were so thoroughly bored, we shut it off.

Really wanted to enjoy it too. :/

I'm kind of with you here... I didn't shut it off... and the movie delivered what I expected. I guess I just expected to enjoy what it delivered more than I did. The entire time I kept thinking "damn, this would be totally kick ass if I were 10 years old again!". Which isn't to say that those who enjoyed it are 10 year olds... but I dunno... something about it didn't quite click for me. I think part of it is that I'm just in a general malaise when it comes to the CGI blockbuster onslaught of the last decade or so.

Offline d00hickey

• Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13391 on: October 30, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »
Street Trash (1987)  :speechless: If you plane on viewing this little heart warming film check all of your reasoning and decency at the door.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5085
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13392 on: October 30, 2013, 11:13:44 PM »
That's what I've heard.  I like the first one, but it has some problems.  I really need to see that movie.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #13393 on: October 31, 2013, 12:05:26 AM »
Gravity (iMax 3D)

Absolutely amazing, easily the best use of 3D I've seen (with the possible exception of Pirhana 3D but for very different reasons) while being tense and increadibly well acted.  Actually found myself caring about Sandra Bullock's character, something I haven't done since Speed.

See it on the biggest screen you can, hopefully in 3D.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13394 on: November 02, 2013, 03:52:29 PM »
Is anyone planning to see Ender's Game? I'm not sure if I want to see it; I've heard it's a pretty mediocre adaptation that's just a by the book box checking OF the book, which is rather depressing.

Also, it needs to justify more of my money going to Card. Love the books, hate the man.