Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1582738 times)

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13305 on: October 07, 2013, 12:24:49 PM »
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13306 on: October 07, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »
Don Jon
Honestly, I didn't find the physics to be very realistic  :P

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #13307 on: October 07, 2013, 01:24:06 PM »
Or the accents....

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13308 on: October 07, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »
Grug's admonition notwithstanding....

Neil deGrasse Tyson has some scientific bones to pick with Gravity

Well, I can't argue with NdGT.  I guess I have to admit that there are numerous flaws with the movie, some of which I didn't notice while watching.  I do still love the movie, and the physics flaws still don't ruin it for me.  Maybe it's like Guitar Hero.  I know that you're not actually playing guitar, but it feels like I'm playing guitar, which is a cool feeling.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13309 on: October 07, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »
It's a legitimately Great-with-a-capitol-G movie no matter how you slice it. Because it's still a movie, first and foremost, and it operates as such.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #13310 on: October 07, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
Guys, I appreciate that you're using spoilers and all, but if you're going to have a five page long, argument about a specific movie, maybe start a thread for it?

Sorry, that's my fault. I just wanted to make one point about the movie, but people kept contradicting me and I couldn't let it go. I'll shut up now.

As far as the post of being off topic I respectfully disagree with Ed, I kind of like the free form, conversational nature of the Rifftrax forums. I agree there needs to be a line drawn somewhere. But, because I don't see the threads on this forum spiraling out of control, I hardly see the need for "reminders" to stay on topic.

You misunderstand me, I'm not saying it's off topic, I'm saying it's shitty.

If it was off topic, I would just move it, but because there is a ton of very specific talk about a current movie that I (and many others I'm sure) am excited to see, I can't read this thread.

Talking about a movie you've seen is great, but just like we have a thread on the Avengers where you can talk spoilers and really go to town, this all-purpose thread should really be for general thoughts/impressions.
FINE

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13311 on: October 07, 2013, 02:31:34 PM »
Yea me too, I'm going to see Gravity later this week. One or two minor spoilers caught my eye so I have had to divert my attention to allot of the recent post on this thread.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
« Reply #13312 on: October 07, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »
Yeah, many of the flaws in "Gravity" I either picked up on right away or came to after dwelling on it afterwards (more so the latter since the movie is so good it made me really forgive and forget a lot of things) much of it needs to be handwaved away as needing to happen for the sake of story and drama (though there is one aspect that took me out of the movie because I KNEW it was wrong and made no sense.)  Still a fantastic, fantastic movie that one cannot recommend enough.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13313 on: October 07, 2013, 06:09:53 PM »
The Killing Room

I'd heard some disparaging reviews for this movie, so I was very cautious going in. It's actually really good. I'm not going to say much about it. If you don't know what it's about, just go watch it. Don't even watch the trailer. I love weird, secretive things, so this was right up my alley. Peter Stormare knocks it out of the park, but everyone does a good job. The score by Brian Tyler is really good too.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13314 on: October 10, 2013, 11:06:48 AM »
Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea

Got it on Blu-Ray, they did a great job with the HD transfer, it looks fantastic.

Haven't seen this in ages, hell of a cast, but a bit more tedious than I remember, I guess commercial breaks actually help this movie seem faster paced.

Couldn't help but riff the mini-sub scene.  The route taken from the bottom of the Seaview to the front of the Seaview was really stupid.

I'd say the TV series was better than the movie.

Oh, and the scene with Barbara Eden shaking her but (in CinemaScope closeup) is pure cinematic genius!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #13315 on: October 12, 2013, 05:32:13 PM »
Machete Kills

That was incredibly fun.  If there's a single complaint my wife and I had it was that there was less practical blood and gore effects.  As far as the performances, creativity, and pure insanity of the movie it was awesome.  I want the next sequel as soon as humanly possible.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5180
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #13316 on: October 12, 2013, 10:16:18 PM »
I had the fortune to be invited to the last day of the Busan International Film Festival and me and a friend saw 4 great movies!

Garage

Easily the most downbeat film.  This 2007 Irish film is about a nice but dull attendent at a run down garage.  Eventually, he gets a weekend assistant in a 15 year old boy and despite their differences have a good friendship.  It isn't as heartwarming as it sounds, though.  That said, it isn't a misery-fest either.  But it is a sad, well-told story that earns it's darkness in it's likeable but flawed lead, a man who is good, but has bad judgement and an inability to change that causes problems in his life.  It is at times hard to watch, but it is a great, powerful movie.  I had problems with the ending at first, but the more I thought about it, I was able to see why it works.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LvRqwgw2hpc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LvRqwgw2hpc</a>

Poor People

Probably the weakest one, but it was interesting, this is a very short (45 minutes) Uzbekistani comedy from 1990 about a two poor husbands: one who loves cars and dreams of having one of his own, and his neighbor.  One day, the one who loves cars can't make it to a soccer game that also has a lottery.  He gives his soccer ticket to his friend and the two agree that if the ticket wins, they'll split it.  Unfortunately, the prize is a car, and when it is won by the friend, he doesn't want to give it up.  The rest of the movie is the two leads trying to decide who gets what, getting the whole community involved.  The movie is fun and gentle and the stakes of who gets the nice car is handled well, but it is an OK movie rather than a great one.  Also, I learned that Uzbekistani movies from 1990 look like educational shorts from the late sixties.

Unforgiven

A Japanese samurai remake of the Clint Eastwood movie.  The film is, at times, a little TOO faithful, but it manages to work in Japanese history very well, and does make some interesting changes, with a darker ending (though my friend thought of it as more hopeful).  Like Unforgiven, it is able to make the lead character vulnerable and weak for most of the film, while still reminding us that he was once great.  So overall, very good, but if you've seen the original, there are very few surprises.  Watch this one when you don't remember the events of the original.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gj3gwo01Pf4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gj3gwo01Pf4</a>

Grand Piano

Possibly the dumbest, silliest film I saw that day... and also my favourite.  The plot is ludicrous and the whole thing is silly, but at the same time, it is so much fun and so dynamic that you are willing to let it go.  I'm not even going to show you the trailer for this one, since it gives away some of the final act.  Anyway, the premise is Elijah Wood is a genius pianist who messed up in playing "an impossible piece" 5 years priors and is working on his comeback.  However, as he's playing his first peace, he sees a strange arrow on the first page.  And on the second, a message: "Play one wrong note and you die!"  The film feels like a particularly silly episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, but it makes up for it's weak points with over the top stylishness and a real sense of fun.  Yes, the big plot of the villain makes little sense and what he would have to do to set up the scenario is preposterous, but the battle of wits between the characters and the who essence of the movie makes it a really enjoyable movie.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #13317 on: October 13, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »
Machete Kills

That was incredibly fun.  If there's a single complaint my wife and I had it was that there was less practical blood and gore effects.  As far as the performances, creativity, and pure insanity of the movie it was awesome.  I want the next sequel as soon as humanly possible.

I heard the title of the next one will be Machete Kills Again in Space.

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #13318 on: October 13, 2013, 08:54:11 AM »
Machete Kills

I heard the title of the next one will be Machete Kills Again in Space, dies, resurrects, and then fights Freddy.

Modified it just a tad
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13319 on: October 13, 2013, 02:37:38 PM »
Machete Kills

Yeah, that lack of practical effects and overuse of digital blood is the main issue I had (and it's a weird one. I mean, you've got Tom Savini right there!). Other than that, a highly entertaining movie through-and-through.