login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1556510 times)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3563
  • All joking a salad.
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13275 on: October 04, 2013, 09:12:21 PM »
Gravity

Wow.  Very, very intense.  I've never seen anything like this. I have no idea how they were able to make this movie.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 275
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #13276 on: October 05, 2013, 02:37:25 AM »
Yeah, GRAVITY is good. But if you are scientifically-minded person like me, you will notice numerous science-related issues. Still very entertaining and awesome 3-D.

I can say with authority that other scientifically-minded people actually found it pretty solid.

And by authority, I mean astronauts: http://www.chud.com/144761/interview-nasa-astronaut-mike-massimino-gravity/

I have a Ph.D. in Physics, a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, and have worked on the space shuttle program, so I think I'm qualified to comment on the scientific inaccuracies in the movie.

If you read the article that you linked, you'll noticed that he's mainly talking about how well they replicated the feeling of working on the Hubble in the shuttle payload bay. Having never been in space, I can't really say for sure, but that seemed pretty realistic to me. It's after bad things start to happen in the movie that things get a bit dicey with physics and orbital mechanics. If you go to badastronomy.com and other science-minded websites, you'll see that they mention some of the physics issues (but don't look until you've seen the movie!).

Inaccuracies aside, it's a really entertaining movie and I highly recommend it. Make sure to watch it in 3-D.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:43:40 AM by eegah »

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13277 on: October 05, 2013, 07:04:42 AM »
Yeah, GRAVITY is good. But if you are scientifically-minded person like me, you will notice numerous science-related issues. Still very entertaining and awesome 3-D.

I can say with authority that other scientifically-minded people actually found it pretty solid.

And by authority, I mean astronauts: http://www.chud.com/144761/interview-nasa-astronaut-mike-massimino-gravity/

I have a Ph.D. in Physics, a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, and have worked on the space shuttle program, so I think I'm qualified to comment on the scientific inaccuracies in the movie.

If you read the article that you linked, you'll noticed that he's mainly talking about how well they replicated the feeling of working on the Hubble in the shuttle payload bay. Having never been in space, I can't really say for sure, but that seemed pretty realistic to me. It's after bad things start to happen in the movie that things get a bit dicey with physics and orbital mechanics. If you go to badastronomy.com and other science-minded websites, you'll see that they mention some of the physics issues (but don't look until you've seen the movie!).

Inaccuracies aside, it's a really entertaining movie and I highly recommend it. Make sure to watch it in 3-D.

The main complaint of the guy at bad astronomy was
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #13278 on: October 05, 2013, 11:14:03 AM »

The main complaint of the guy at bad astronomy was

I would hardly call pointing out things in a movie that would not happen in real life AND affect the plot of a movie "nitpicky". This movie's claim to fame is its depiction of being in orbit. If it gets that wrong most of the time, it just becomes an ordinary action movie.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:32:07 AM by eegah »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13279 on: October 05, 2013, 12:59:23 PM »

Oh I know, I was just being a smartass ;)

I personally think this movie got as close to reality as it could get while still working with the compelling scenario it was creating (most accurate since Apollo 13, I wanna say). Movies can only get so real, after all, before sacrifices need to be made in favor of the narrative at hand. Ultimately this movie is still one that creates just the right sort of visceral atmosphere that it'll hook you right in, and it's a stunning technological achievement in the process.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 01:01:12 PM by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #13280 on: October 05, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »
Oh I know, I was just being a smartass ;)

I personally think this movie got as close to reality as it could get while still working with the compelling scenario it was creating (most accurate since Apollo 13, I wanna say). Movies can only get so real, after all, before sacrifices need to be made in favor of the narrative at hand. Ultimately this movie is still one that creates just the right sort of visceral atmosphere that it'll hook you right in, and it's a stunning technological achievement in the process.

Apollo 13 was MUCH more accurate. There were some minor nitpicks (i.e., seeing the full moon and full Earth from the spacecraft at the same time, etc.), but it nothing of the magnitude of Gravity. It had the advantages of filming zero-g in actual zero-g (in the "Vomit Comet"), whereas Gravity was CGI, and being based on a true story so there was only so far that they could deviate from reality.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #13281 on: October 05, 2013, 01:39:56 PM »
Yup yup. Apollo 13 is a beast all its own, just like Gravity. I'll stick to them both being fantastic movies in their own ways.

Here's another good (and spoiler-filled) article on the accurate and inaccurate stuff: http://science.time.com/2013/10/01/what-gravity-gets-right-and-wrong-about-space/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 01:57:19 PM by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #13282 on: October 05, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »
As for the accuracy...from what I've read. It's possible. Incredibly, overwhelmingly unlikely. But theoretically possible.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #13283 on: October 05, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »
As for the accuracy...from what I've read. It's possible. Incredibly, overwhelmingly unlikely. But theoretically possible.
Depends on what you are talking about. If you are talking about the "triggering event" for the problems, then that is probably a good description. If you are talking about the movie as a whole, then the answer is an emphatic NO. But some things can definitely be treated as artistic license (although I would've preferred that they be more accurate).

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #13284 on: October 05, 2013, 07:10:44 PM »
Saw "Gravity" some quibbles and positions of various space items aside, a fantastic, fantastic movie. Bullock does a phenomenal job in it and wears spandex shorts very well.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13285 on: October 05, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »
Saw "Gravity" some quibbles and positions of various space items aside, a fantastic, fantastic movie. Bullock does a phenomenal job in it and wears spandex shorts very well.
I've heard that it's like her first good dramatic role, which I'm amazed at.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13286 on: October 05, 2013, 08:20:24 PM »
I've heard that it's like her first good dramatic role, which I'm amazed at.

The academy thought she was good enough to win best actress in a leading role for blind side. I still haven't seen it though 

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #13287 on: October 05, 2013, 08:28:28 PM »
Blind Side wasn't much more than a Hallmark movie.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13288 on: October 05, 2013, 09:47:08 PM »
Speaking of sports meeting Hallmark movies...

Only have a single complaint about this one...  it's all just a tad vanilla. What really could have been something that aimed high and delivered a deeply emotional, introspective look at overcoming the ugly side of human nature... this movie just sort of picks the low hanging fruit. It's well shot and well acted... Everything you'd expect to see in an inspirational, based-on-a-true-story sports biopic is accounted for... And therein lies the problem, it's everything you'd expect and nothing you won't... If it wasn't for 'nigger' and 'coon' appearing in the dialog a few dozen times, it could have very well been a movie that was made for the Hallmark Channel. That said, Chadwick Boseman does well playing Robinson despite being almost a bit player in his own movie...  because Hollywood isn't going to make a movie about a black guy... It's going to make a movie about a grumpy old white man helping the black guy.... Enter Harrison Ford, easily delivering his best grumpy old man role yet. Alan Tudyk and Christopher Meloni also standout in smaller support roles. 42 was well done from top to bottom, but is a whitewash in many respects... and in the end it still left me wanting.

Offline eegah

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #13289 on: October 06, 2013, 06:29:26 AM »
quibbles...nitpicks...

We really need better physics education in this country...*sigh*