Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1581429 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #13200 on: September 27, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »
 I still haven't watched any new trek, if reading spoilers and watching clips pisses me off I think the movies would really piss me off.

Seems very few people that grew up on the original series like what has been done.

As for building the ship on the ground, technically I don't see a problem with it, and it would probably be way easier, I could imagine some kind of tug-ship to help lift it into orbit.  The problem with it is that it's another thing changed, every other series, even Enterprise that took place earlier, the ships were made in orbit.  If you are going to use the name and characters, at least try and maintain some continuity with what has been done before.  Then there's the whole destruction of Vulcan thing, I don't see how people can just shrug that one off.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13201 on: September 27, 2013, 10:57:33 AM »
Then there's the whole destruction of Vulcan thing, I don't see how people can just shrug that one off.

At the risk of sounding snarky, Vulcans don't really exist and their planet is imaginary. I really don't mean that as a smart-ass... I mean... I just... don't know what else to say. If in 2021 Disney reboots Star Wars and the Death Star blows up Tatooine... I'm not going to give it a second thought really.

They went to great pains in the press junkets to declare this an 'alternate timeline' or 'alternate universe' or whatever. Either you're going to sit in the theater and try to accept what they want to present or you're not... But I don't get this notion that they are somehow betrothed to any particular set of regulations or any fan-based 'that's not how they did it in my day!' mindset.

That said, I think the entire idea was to sell the IP to people that didn't grow up with it... as obviously the people that grew up with TOS/TNG aren't getting any younger. So yea, I can certainly understand old-guard folks who will dismiss it out of hand pretty much knowing that they won't like the direction... But that's a hang up on wanting more of the old, it doesn't automatically negate the merit of the new.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13202 on: September 27, 2013, 12:08:55 PM »
So you have no fictional characters that mean anything to you?

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #13203 on: September 27, 2013, 12:22:08 PM »
I don't know how that is relevant. It's not like Abrams took gasoline to the TOS master film stocks. 1960s Spock and Kirk are safe and sound.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #13204 on: September 27, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »
In a way, yes, and in a way, no. The retelling of the characters adds to their whole mythos, and can DRASTICALLY change the way they're viewed. It's one of the reasons I absolutely can't STAND fanfiction: by changing anything about these characters, you're changing the way they're viewed. That's actually a good way to look at the reboot, actually; as a fanfiction.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #13205 on: September 27, 2013, 12:39:25 PM »
In a way, yes, and in a way, no. The retelling of the characters adds to their whole mythos, and can DRASTICALLY change the way they're viewed. It's one of the reasons I absolutely can't STAND fanfiction: by changing anything about these characters, you're changing the way they're viewed. That's actually a good way to look at the reboot, actually; as a fanfiction.

Why would you possibly care how others view fictional characters? While I generally avoid it, I've read some gawdawful fanfic, but I'm missing the part where that's supposed to influence how I feel about the original work. If an entire generation of young folk grows up knowing only Quinto Spock... how would that diminish Nemoy's work in my eyes?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13206 on: September 27, 2013, 01:14:46 PM »
So, same characters, somewhat different motivations.  Honestly, I doubt Rodenberry would have minded a rework, especially since it starts with something his original series posited; the existence of alternate timelines.

They always fixed the timeline in those stories, with only the occasional minor changes once they got back.

As for what Roddenberry would have been fine with, he didn't even want the crew on STTNG to argue with each other, as he got older he went more towards wanting to present future humanity as some kind of utopia.  So it's hard to believe he would have agreed with a lot of what happened with trek after he passed.

Anyway, different people feel differently about stuff, for me Star Trek is currently dead even if the studio is still using the name, maybe someday someone will come up with something original in that universe that I can watch, but probably not.

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #13207 on: September 27, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
The last movie I watched was The Score with Robert DiNiro, Ed Norton and Marlon Brando. It was awful, it was loaded down with all the cliches of a heist movie with nothing new or interesting. If you haven't seen it don't, unless your a huge fan of Ed Norton (who was the only actor not phoning this one in)   

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #13208 on: September 27, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
I finally watched "The FP" over the weekend. It's a fun comedy that plays everything totally straight (Except for a few small winks to let the audience know yes, the movie is a big gag). It's good for a couple laughs, but probably could have been sold better with a more seasoned group of actors.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #13209 on: September 27, 2013, 07:02:44 PM »
The Family

Seemed to be a pretty slow week for movies, but when you get a babysitter you roll with it... DeNiro and Pfeiffer seemed like a safe bet. This is clearly aiming for dark comedy, but I'm not terribly sure if it hit the mark. There were a few stand out scenes, mainly the interactions with DeNiro and Tommy Lee Jones who was underused as an FBI handler. But overall it just sort of rolled from one setup for violence to the next... to the next... to the next. Really seemed to drag in the middle... something about it just didn't quite come together. Might revisit this one someday on DVD, as sometimes I find dark comedy doesn't always sink in with me the first time around. As it sits tonight, not something I could recommend.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #13210 on: September 27, 2013, 07:04:29 PM »
I finally watched "The FP" over the weekend. It's a fun comedy that plays everything totally straight (Except for a few small winks to let the audience know yes, the movie is a big gag). It's good for a couple laughs, but probably could have been sold better with a more seasoned group of actors.

See, I love how The FP seems to NEVER wink at the viewer. I would also submit that the slightly sub-par acting is a part of the overall effect.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 526
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #13211 on: September 27, 2013, 07:09:39 PM »
I have pretty negative thoughts about both new Trek films and I saw both in theaters, I just never bothered to post my reviews here because I ran in circles with people elsewhere after the first reboot. I try not to alienate people in writing about films, and discussions about these films always veer in that direction.

Anyway, I'm perfectly willing to accept that they're just not my bag while others can draw value from them.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:12:53 PM by Charles Hussein Castle »
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13212 on: September 27, 2013, 08:49:55 PM »
They always fixed the timeline in those stories, with only the occasional minor changes once they got back.
Actually, they didn't fix the evil universe in "Mirror, Mirror".  They just put the good and evil characters back into their respective universes.

You do know that wasn't a time travel episode?  So, different universe, not different timeline, no timeline to fix. 
I was never a fan of that idea, or those episodes (especially the DS9 ones), until Enterprise did their take on it, that was interesting.

You seem to have strong negative feelings toward the new ST movies, given you have, by your own admission, not seen them.  It reminds me of people who refused to watch the LOTR movies when they heard Jackson made story changes.  Like I said, I'm not a purist, but to each his own.

Like I said before, I read all the spoilers and have seen enough clips to know I wouldn't like it.  Has nothing to do with being a "purist", has to do with not wanting to see stuff that would piss me off.  Can't enjoy a movie when "what the fuck are they doing" is running through your head the entire time. 

If the Lynch version of Dune came out today I probably would have second thoughts about seeing it, of course that movie is so bizarre you kind of forget the changes while watching it.  Although since the mini-series came out I haven't watched the Lynch version.

UncleDesmond

« Reply #13213 on: September 28, 2013, 09:18:13 AM »
Finally got to see the new Star Trek movie. It was like a 3 foot wide Reese's Cup covered in bacon and guacamole.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #13214 on: September 28, 2013, 12:30:16 PM »
The final movie in the 1990's Gamera trilogy.  Gamera vs Iris.

A young girl has a grudge against Gamera because he accidently killed her parents.  She finds a baby monster and feels a connection with it.  She decides to raise and work with the monster, Iris...to exact revenge on Gamera.

The monster absorbs life energy, drains you dry.  And it connects with her, and she almost dies.  During the battle between Gamera and Iris, Iris absorbs her again and she has a clear memory of Iris killing her parents, not Gamera.  Gamera saves the day and there is a poignant moment at the end with Gamera looks at her with understanding.

At the end thousands of Gyaos decend on Japan and Gamera gears for the fight.

I liked it, still think the first in the series was best though.  Wish they would do more.
Opticians are easy on the eyes