Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1581946 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12810 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:36 PM »
Now You See Me - Liked it a fair amount, did think that if they'd called in a consult from England they could have solved the whole think in 20 minutes, they may have needed to pay for a new duffel coat though...

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #12811 on: June 15, 2013, 07:34:03 AM »
Saw Man of Steel last night. I liked it. Very impressive movie. I'd say it's closest comparison would be Batman Begins. Not so much for comic book origin stuff (well, ok, that too), but also because of the way it tackles its themes. I also haven't seen that much action in a movie since Die Hard 4. It's... a LOT.

Hans Zimmer's score is amazing. I usually like one score/soundtrack enough to buy a year, and this seems like it's the one.

Oh! And why not a single nod to any non-Superman characters? Has Marvel taught them *nothing* about franchising??? An end credit scene would've been "too Marvel", but, c'mon... nothing?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 07:35:58 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12812 on: June 15, 2013, 11:15:38 AM »
Oh! And why not a single nod to any non-Superman characters? Has Marvel taught them *nothing* about franchising??? An end credit scene would've been "too Marvel", but, c'mon... nothing?

While I've yet to see the movie, I will say that I'm seeing this criticism pop up everywhere online. It's like Marvel has trained folks to expect certain things out of superhero films, regardless of what the movie is trying to really focus on or achieve in the end. It's rather fascinating, really. Like a bunch of angry Pavlov Dogs.

Also, WB is incredibly timid with its DC properties, and really wants to see how Man of Steel performs before it starts building up a Justice League universe. Although it seems like this one's going to do pretty well financially, so look for the world building stuff next time around (of course, next time could very well be a Justice League movie, since they're jumping right into that, so... yeah).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12813 on: June 15, 2013, 02:18:16 PM »
Also, I think they are waiting to see if the movie is looked favorably by the general public, too. Even if it makes money, they don't want to make an extended franchise like Justice League off a movie people don't like and aren't excited to see extensions from.

Offline Gandalf Lundgren

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 159
  • "You shall not pass, I must break you!"
« Reply #12814 on: June 15, 2013, 08:32:43 PM »
I have become pretty disillusioned with movies the last 2 year or so. Plus I really don't get that much time to watch movies anymore. Last movie I got to see:  Olympus Has Fallen. Propaganda film.  ::) Just reaffirms that most movies nowadays suck. I include foreign movies in this too.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 94
« Reply #12815 on: June 15, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »
After missing it as a kid, because they pulled it from the theaters the day before me and my friends were all going to see it, I finally got around to watching Heartbeeps ( 1981 ). And all I can say is... errrr... what the?

It is as if everyone showed up to the set, then suddenly decided not to bother making a film. Or at lest had all this potential for a great story but never actually got around to it. Or like they found a 3 minute skit from SNL and tried to pad it out to a feature length film with a lot of dead spots. I mean.... I don't know what to say. It was not a good movie... but it was not a bad movie either. It was just sort of there for a couple of hours. It was literally the equivalent of watching air for two hours.

Offline Gandalf Lundgren

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 159
  • "You shall not pass, I must break you!"
« Reply #12816 on: June 15, 2013, 09:39:42 PM »
After missing it as a kid, because they pulled it from the theaters the day before me and my friends were all going to see it, I finally got around to watching Heartbeeps ( 1981 ). And all I can say is... errrr... what the?

It is as if everyone showed up to the set, then suddenly decided not to bother making a film. Or at lest had all this potential for a great story but never actually got around to it. Or like they found a 3 minute skit from SNL and tried to pad it out to a feature length film with a lot of dead spots. I mean.... I don't know what to say. It was not a good movie... but it was not a bad movie either. It was just sort of there for a couple of hours. It was literally the equivalent of watching air for two hours.

Wow, this looks like prime riffing fodder.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #12817 on: June 15, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »
Looper

My inner 14 year old sci-fi dork from 25 years ago hated this pretty much from the get-go. Nano death sensing technology 60 years in future has become so advanced that the only countermeasure for a successful murder is a fucking time machine. Maybe throw the victim in a lead vault, find a really big tin foil hat, rigging a microwave to run with the door open? ... anything to block Big Brother from picking up the nanosignals???  Nope, fucking time machine. Not since Scotty formulated transparent aluminum by awkwardly tickling a Macintosh keyboard for six seconds have I been so dumbfounded.

Then the next 110 minutes went by... and I actually really liked it when everything was said and done. Actors are all pretty good, the scene with Willis and Gordon-Levitt in the diner is great. The pace might lag a bit in the middle, but director Rian Johnson kept reeling me back every time I started to wander. Even if the premise is ridiculous and the final outcome was terribly predictable, with a good dozen foreshadowing "closing the loops" beating the audience over the head for two hours... I'll be damned if I wasn't engaged throughout the whole thing. I doubt much about it will stick with me a few days from now, but an entertaining and well executed movie.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 383
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #12818 on: June 15, 2013, 11:13:29 PM »
Regarding Heartbeeps, Andy Kaufman apologized for the movie on Letterman and offered to pay back anyone's ticket who happened to see it. The most succinct and direct link I can find is the beginning of the Cinema Snob's review for it: http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/05/29/heartbeeps.aspx.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #12819 on: June 16, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
Watched "This Is The End" last night. I loved it quite a bit. YMMV depending on your tolerance for the Apatow gang and style, but even if you've only HEARD of some of these actors, there will be at least one joke about their careers somewhere in there that will make you laugh.

Very funny movie, full of actors playing themselves as despicable people who you hope survive anyway.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12820 on: June 16, 2013, 04:17:46 PM »
Total Recall

The one with hunky Colin Farrell and sexy Brian Cranston.  Its been years since I've seen the original I was a kid.  My main memory of it was Patrick S guarding himself from bullets with bodies.  And the three breasted lady of course.

I liked this version.  Had to fast forward through some of the action scenes though, they went on for too long.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #12821 on: June 16, 2013, 06:33:18 PM »
Kumare

Documentary about a guy who pretends to be a guru to try and teach people that they don't need gurus.  I felt it was well done, very interesting.  It borders on being a very mean thing to do, because his students get very attached to him.  But his teachings are all based in how he is an illusion, and that the real guru is inside yourself, which is something that he believes. 

It's on netflix streaming.  Definitely worth a watch to so how quickly people project and feed off of someone willing to listen to them.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12822 on: June 16, 2013, 06:35:20 PM »
I think you may have just watched The Life of Brian.
FINE

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #12823 on: June 16, 2013, 06:48:05 PM »
I think you may have just watched The Life of Brian.

Which is my favorite comedy of all time, so maybe that's why I liked it to much.  Surprised I didn't see the connection. 

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12824 on: June 18, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »
The newest Die Hard movie

meh....
Opticians are easy on the eyes