login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1539440 times)

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12795 on: June 09, 2013, 11:13:37 AM »
Spartan

One of the best performances by Val Kilmer in my opinion. It's an interesting story, but I wouldn't call it memorable. Also really though Kristen Bell did a great job with such little screen time. Worth watching for the writing and acting I guess.

Offline Trekker4747

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
« Reply #12796 on: June 09, 2013, 06:17:07 PM »
Saw "After Earth" last night.

Oy. Do not go see.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12797 on: June 09, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »
Jack Reacher

How old is too old to kick ass?  Ask your doctor.

Cruise isn't too old though.  Never read the book so I think he played the role very well.  I know people that read the Reacher books didn't like him in the role.

Heard he's doing another Mission Impossible.  Four was the best of ther series.  Which is unusal because its the norm for a series to go downhill with each passing movie.  Wonder if  they can top it?
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #12798 on: June 11, 2013, 04:21:57 PM »

Fast 6: These past two F&F flicks have been the most fun I've had at the theater in some time.  A box of Dots and a shit-ton of dumb fun.

V/H/S 2: I can't stop gushing about Tjahjanto & Evans' short. They absolutely killed it.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6819
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #12799 on: June 11, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »
Heard he's doing another Mission Impossible.  Four was the best of ther series.  Which is unusal because its the norm for a series to go downhill with each passing movie.  Wonder if  they can top it?

not always:

dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12800 on: June 11, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
People always seem to forget Bourne, which is perhaps the only trilogy that got better with each passing installment (and then Legacy came along and messed everything up, but we aren't talking about that).

Also, I'll throw down and defend the two Matrix sequels and Alien³ (and also halfheartedly defend Spider-Man 3, if only because people seem to hate it for all the wrong reasons).

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12801 on: June 11, 2013, 04:58:51 PM »
I agree with most of those graphs.  Except Star Trek should be 2,3,4 with high, low, high, those three are the only ones that make a true trilogy.

I'm guessing the Batman graph is for the series that started in 89 (could easily add a negative bar for #4)?  For the most recent 3 movies I'd make the graph more like the one for Star Wars.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #12802 on: June 11, 2013, 04:59:26 PM »
Wait, are they counting First Blood as the first Rambo or Rambo II as the first one?

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6819
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #12803 on: June 11, 2013, 05:05:48 PM »
pic is link.

I know other movie geeks are going to have disagreements and that’s fine. And yes, I know some of these movies went more than 3 sequels, but none were ever meant to.
These are rated purely on my enjoyment level of each film and nothing else. Frankly, I’m surprised by how many sequels were better than the original. And I’m not surprised that the 3rd movie is never the best.
dF = 0
d*F = J

MightyJack

« Reply #12804 on: June 12, 2013, 03:31:47 AM »
On The Waterfront
This is my all time favorite film (with Seven Samurai**) so I was overjoyed when Criterion got the rights. I'm happy to report that the release does not disappoint. I just blogged about the movie last week, so I wont go over all that again (though I could blather on about this thing nonstop) but I will say that I like even the things critics nitpick about. For me it's pitch perfect in every phase, from cinematography to score, etc. And the story is as poignant and powerful as it was when I first saw it. Marlon Brando gives IMHO the greatest performance ever seen on film. It's not just his delivery and expression, it’s the body language -- the slump of a shoulder, a tilt of the head… this isn't an actor acting, this is a fully formed flesh and blood individual coming to life on the screen.

The picture is generally sharp – clean and clearer than ever before. BD really shows up the grain. This is a grainy B&W film, so that's normal and right – I've just never seen it pop with such detail.

Criterion offers all 3 aspect ratios that were sent to theaters at the time. Despite the care cameraman Boris Kaufman put into each version, the 1.85:1 loses too much information at the top and bottom and I turned it off after a while. This is the first time I’ve seen the movie at 1.66:1 (even when I've caught it in theaters it was at 1.33:1) so I was real happy to see Kazan and Kaufman's preferred cut. It was amazing, though I must admit, I still am partial to the 1.33:1 – maybe it's familiarity, maybe it's because I like the way it opens up the screen (you can fully see Brando play with the cue ball on the pool table for example -- Something that is cut a bit in 66 and lost completely in 85)

Extras are informative and plentiful. You have interviews and features on actors, director the music, etc. Scorsese and Kent Jones have a little piece where they discuss the movie. Richard Schickel and Jeff Young provide an enthusiastic commentary track (they have so much to say they often interrupt one another).

One extra I really enjoyed concerned the real life inspirations for the story and characters. So much of this film is wrapped up in the Kazan controversy that we forget this side of the tale. Waterfront corruption was a hot topic across the nation at the time. And there was a huge amount of research that went into writing this story. Most of it based on fact. In this piece they tell us about the real Priest, the real Union bosses and how Terry Malloy (Brando's character) was a mash-up of several workers who testified. Doyle for another example, was inspired by a longshoreman who worked as a consultant on the movie. It also sadly reveals how prophetic Johnny Friendly's last words in the script would become.

All told I couldn’t be happier. I’ve seen this movie dozens of times on both the small and big screen - and to own this stellar production on BD with all the bells and whistle, is a dream. (Especially considering how past DVD and VHS were lacking in picture quality and extras)

Now, Criterion, you think you could get the rights to Brando's One Eyed Jacks – that one is in desperate need of restoration and a proper release.

** I don't know if 1954 had the body of top ranked films to be considered one of the all time great movie seasons. But it always stands out in my mind for 4 reasons: As mentioned, On The Waterfront and Seven Samurai are my all time favorites. 1954 also includes one of my top 3 Hitchcock movies, Rear Window. And my 2nd favorite Fellini (behind 8 1/2) La Strada
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:42:39 AM by George Harrison »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #12805 on: June 14, 2013, 02:42:55 PM »
Man of Steel

I'll avoid spoilers here, but overall I liked it. But I'm not sure if it's a good Superman film. Something just seemed... off in the presentation. Clark seemed, well, un Clarkish, in ways that I can't really bring to words right now.

Still, I liked it a lot. It was a heck of a film and much, much better than Green Lantern and compares pretty favorably to the better Marvel films too.

Oh, if the Marvel films have trained you to stay to the end credits, don't bother. There's a  noise over the final "WB" logo, which may have come from the theater. There's nothing previewy there.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #12806 on: June 14, 2013, 03:11:26 PM »
This is the end

Stupid but fun.  The movie really drags in the middle, they could have cut out about 15-20 and not lost anything, but the manic energy of the latter half of film makes up for it.

Things I enjoyed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12807 on: June 14, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »
This is the end

Stupid but fun.  The movie really drags in the middle, they could have cut out about 15-20 and not lost anything, but the manic energy of the latter half of film makes up for it.

Things I enjoyed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had a lot of fun with this one, even if I wasn't expecting it to be so much of a single-location movie. I've always enjoyed all the guys involved, although my favorite by far was definitely Craig Robinson. Pretty much everything he did clicked perfectly for me (his line to Aziz Ansari "It's too late for you, you're already in the hole!" almost made me choke with laughter). The whole movie definitely goes on for a bit too long, but it was still crazy funny (and genuinely apocalyptic, which is somewhat refreshing in its own way), so it gets plenty of love from me in the end.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12808 on: June 14, 2013, 03:25:42 PM »
Looks like a fun movie, may go see it
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #12809 on: June 14, 2013, 04:06:13 PM »
Man of Steel was great. Seeing it again tonight.