Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1585299 times)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12480 on: March 11, 2013, 07:04:19 PM »
Sorta wish quoting was back on (also because I've got a few GIFs of my own to go along with the above Holy Motors review), but yeah, what they said Charles. Keep up the word blocks, I'll keep reading them.

And you've also reminded me that I still need to watch Killer's Kiss. I bought the Criterion Blu-ray for The Killing not too long ago, and it's included on their as a bonus.

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 528
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12481 on: March 11, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »
Sorta wish quoting was back on (also because I've got a few GIFs of my own to go along with the above Holy Motors review), but yeah, what they said Charles. Keep up the word blocks, I'll keep reading them.

And you've also reminded me that I still need to watch Killer's Kiss. I bought the Criterion Blu-ray for The Killing not too long ago, and it's included on their as a bonus.
I got the quote function to work for me by opening it in a new tab.

Thanks.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #12482 on: March 11, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
No, that 'open in a new tab' trick doesn't work for me either.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2662
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12483 on: March 11, 2013, 08:36:22 PM »
Big Fish

Loads of big names in this, much more enjoyable than I was expecting.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2652
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12484 on: March 11, 2013, 08:37:10 PM »
Huh, Do we know why or when quoting went away? Is it something I can fix?
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12485 on: March 11, 2013, 08:39:46 PM »
Oh, quoting worked by opening a new tab for me too.

Night of The Hunter Just before the baby arrived, we got a all regions Blu-Ray player so that we could start to buy Criteron and other region locked Blu Ray from the US. This and the next two were from our first US order. This was the first time seeing NotH and we were blown away. What an incredible film. Really gripping and beautifully shot. Robert Mitchum in it is amazing. This is my favourite of the movies I am posting about today by far.

Where the Sidewalk Ends - An Otto Preminger film noir that I hadn't heard of, but enjoyed immensely. Right from the excellent opening of the film, it is extremely entertaining. Makes me very excited for the copy of Laura we have in the mail, his movie before this one that was even better received.

Leave Her To Heaven - Very slow to start, but it really rams up as it goes along. The picture quality of the version we had wasn't so great, so that hurt it a little. Still, a fun film. Very dark.
I am a fan of several of the others you watched, but I highlighted these three because... just because. Definitely three of my favorites of the era.

I think I read Leave Her to Heaven is coming to Blu Ray - I hope so! Watched a bunch more since then, so might have to do another post - But I'm back to work tomorrow, so I'll do it on their dime.
FINE

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12486 on: March 11, 2013, 09:13:09 PM »
Oh neat, the tab trick works for me.

Big Fish

Still gets my vote for Burton's last really excellent film. Also makes me cry by the bucket.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2662
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12487 on: March 11, 2013, 09:19:19 PM »
Oh neat, the tab trick works for me.

Big Fish

Still gets my vote for Burton's last really excellent film. Also makes me cry by the bucket.

It didn't get me that bad but my eyes were a bit extra moist during the end.

I'll agree about Burton as far as live action films go, but have to reserve judgment since I haven't seen all the animated/stop action stuff he has done since then.

Offline NashaWriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 276
  • Watch what you say MONKEY BOY!
« Reply #12488 on: March 12, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »
Watched "Wreck-it-Ralph" and "Flight" with the boyfriend the other day. I loved both movies, Wreck It Ralph had me tearing up at least two times while watching it. Flight was damned good as well, Denzel can act the hell out of any roles and John Goodman had the best 15  minutes on screen, a memorable-awesome character.
No Matter Where you go, there you are.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12489 on: March 12, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
The Talented Mr Ripley - By Request of my wife, who just reread all of the Ripley books and is a big fan of the series. I just find this movie OK. A bit too long, slow and cold to really excite me. Which is not to say it was bad, just that it's not a favourite.

Harper - Looooved Harper. What an excellent and fun film. You can feel the influence on The Big Lebowski, and Paul Newman is just fantastic. Started us on a Paul Newman kick.

Long, Hot Summer - A Cat on A Hot Tin Roof inspired film, set in a small southern town where a rich jerk (Orson Welles) owns and runs everything. Newman plays a man run out of another town for burning a barn. Rich Jerk wants his daughter to marry the barn-burning-con-man and have lots of kids to him. Not the kind of film we'd normally watch, and yet I found it incredibly entertaining. Also, it lead to me learning this:

http://moviemorlocks.com/2011/06/12/the-many-noses-of-orson-welles/

The Thomas Crown Affair - (The original version) This movie was fun to watch, but mostly for the direction/editing of the film. It really does some interesting things and moves along at a fun clip. Not too exciting of a story, but, yeah, fun.

Network - Finally saw this classic film. At first I thought it might be too dated to be really entertaining, that it might just be an interesting artifact, but actually this movie, that starts out quite realistic and escalated into a bizarre ending was incredibly engaging still. Dunaway chews the scenery a bit.

Gambit - The remake that is scripted by the Coen Bros. Well, we couldn't get very far through this one. I wonder if it would have been such a mess if the Coens had directed it (The Ladykillers suggests maybe yes).

We're halfway through The Hustler now...
FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12490 on: March 12, 2013, 08:04:50 PM »
Yeah, that and having a month off. :)
FINE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12491 on: March 13, 2013, 07:07:59 AM »
- Assyrian sphinx sculptures dating from the 8th century BC, next to
- Matte paintings of buildings that look suspiciously like the Cretan palaces, from about 1500 BC, which contain
- Doric columns, from the 8th-3rd centuries bc, and inside this building we have
- A Classical statue to "Thetis, the goddess of wisdom(?)" which is clearly modeled on the Athena Parthenos, ca. 435 BC, and around the base of that is
- A frieze just out and out lifted from the Ara Pacis Augustae, 1st century AD.
- There are guys in pseudo Arcadian hoplite outfits from the 3rd century BC, and guys in the same room carrying Roman legionary trumpets from 500 years later.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #12492 on: March 13, 2013, 03:47:48 PM »
Seven Psychopaths

Loved it!  The cast was awesome, with Harry Dean Stanton as a bonus!  And I spotted Crispin Glover in the court room.  Come on, give the guy some lines.

And the movie was great, original story with some genuine surprises.  How did this man not win the Oscar for best original screenplay.  I mean, I love Tarantino, but come on!
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 528
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #12493 on: March 13, 2013, 10:55:10 PM »
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982, directed by Nicholas Meyer) is the best of the Star Trek movies. Perhaps not coincidentally, it's the one with the least social commentary on its mind. It plays as pure adventure. Plus, it has what most of the Star Trek films lack: a terrific villain. Only Alice Krige's Borg Queen in First Contact survives a comparison with Ricardo Montalban's Khan, here re-invisioned as a refugee from a Mad Max movie. The battle between the Enterprise and the Reliant in the nebula remains one of the best such duels in science fiction movies, even if it is a retread of every submarine film you've ever seen.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984, directed by Leonard Nimoy) was set up at the end of the previous installment in a naked bit of franchise building. This film begins where that film left off--indeed, it re-uses a fair amount of footage from its predecessor. It's also the middle film of a trilogy, and it suffers from the awkwardness of middle films.

The story here finds Dr. McCoy carrying around Spock's consciousness after a Vulcan mind meld at the conclusion of the previous film. Spock's body, meanwhile, has been launched to the Genesis planet, where it has regenerated itself, much to the surprise of the scientists who are monitoring the project. Sarek implores Kirk to retrieve Spock's body so it can be conveyed to Vulcan for a proper Vulcan ceremony. Unfortunately, Star Fleet won't let Kirk take the Enterprise back to Genesis, so he and the crew steal it. Meanwhile, a Klingon Bird of Prey has arrived at Genesis to steal its secrets.

In spite of the Very Serious Themes this movie tries to convey about grief and friendship, it all comes down to a fistfight at the end. This represents a failure of imagination for the series, but it won't be the last such failure (see also the recent J. J. Abrams film). There are no fisticuffs of any kind in either of the first two films. Still and all, I like this installment better than Number 4, which I thought was goofy. I remember seeing this the week that it opened and getting a little choked up when the Enterprise, rigged to self-destruct with a Klingon boarding party on board, streaks across the sky. It's the movie's best moment. They tried that stunt again more than once as the series moved on, but it works here.

Following the lead of the previous film, Star Trek III has an obvious villain (without any metaphysics to interfere with his villainy) in Christopher Lloyd's Captain Kruge. It's a bit hard to watch him without flashing on his other screen personae--but he charges through the role with bluster. The Klingons get a serious overhaul here (more so than in their brief appearance in the first film), complete with a subtitled language and interesting chain of command. John Larroquette plays one of the Klingon subalterns and Miguel Ferrer plays a Star Fleet helmsman, establishing a pattern of familiar faces in the background of these movies. The movie goes out of its way to give the secondary crew members their moments: Sulu gets to show off his judo, Uhura has an amusing run in with a young subordinate, Mr. Scott has a twinkle in his eye after sabotaging the next-generation Excelsior, and Chekov gets to puzzle over the controls of a Klingon warship. This is really the film where Shatner starts to exaggerate his Shatnerisms, which isn't to the film's benefit, really.

Structurally, the film has a big problem. Having provided the audience with a big special effects climax, the movie grinds to a screeching halt fifteen minutes from the end as we are shown in detail the Vulcan ritual for the dead (and the resurrected). The movie's other big guest star, Dame Judith Anderson, shows up here in Vulcan drag. When I first saw the film, I hadn't seen Hitchcock's Rebecca, but now I can't see Anderson without seeing the monstrous Mrs. Danvers in everything she does. Interesting that the filmmakers would take that persona and convert it into Vulcan. In any event, this portion of the film, though necessary for the franchise going forward, causes the mind to wander well before the credits role.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12494 on: March 14, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »
The Hustler

Unfortunately it took us about four sittings to get through the movie, due to the demands of the baby (and me being back at work) but we really enjoyed it. Everyone in it is excellent, particularly Newman and Piper.

Had I had a better idea of what the film was (we thought it was going to be much lighter), I probably wouldn't have been too interested, but it is a tremendous, beautiful and very entertaining movie.
FINE