Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1537594 times)

Offline Charles Castle

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 515
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #12420 on: February 20, 2013, 02:13:42 PM »
It's still my second favorite of all the Trek movies...
Behind the reboot, no doubt.
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #12421 on: February 20, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »
To me, the Enterprise flyby with Goldsmith's score is its own thing within the movie. I wouldn't change a second of it.

It was the most blatant fan-service ever, but it still worked.

Offline Starman!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #12422 on: February 22, 2013, 07:41:49 PM »
Argo. This film is winning Best Picture.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #12423 on: February 22, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »

I don't necessarily agree that it should, but I wouldn't mind if it did.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12424 on: February 22, 2013, 09:14:41 PM »

Well, Crash did win that one year, so anything is possible.
FINE

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #12425 on: February 22, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »

I said this in another thread, but for years and years I loved Crash. It was straight-up one of my all-time favorite movies, and always made me burst into tears and all other sorts of emotions.

At some point, this stopped being the case. And I recognize now why that is, though I won't rewatch it, lest I turn on it even more than I already have.

Point is, enough of all this Argo backlash. It's a solid film that deserves plenty of props. So there.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #12426 on: February 22, 2013, 09:21:29 PM »

I said this in another thread, but for years and years I loved Crash. It was straight-up one of my all-time favorite movies, and always made me burst into tears and all other sorts of emotions.

At some point, this stopped being the case. And I recognize now why that is, though I won't rewatch it, lest I turn on it even more than I already have.

Point is, enough of all this Argo backlash. It's a solid film that deserves plenty of props. So there.

It's an average film with a terrible, weak lead that fabricates every single plot point in this supposedly true story.
FINE

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3548
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #12427 on: February 22, 2013, 11:41:18 PM »
Killer Joe

Wow. I liked the movie, but there was a lot of stuff that went too far.  Matthew McConaughey is really good. This movie makes up for a few RomComs that he's done.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12428 on: February 23, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »
Looper

Fun and interesting to watch, but doesn't stand up to analysis afterwards.

So, interesting action/drama but terrible science fiction.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #12429 on: February 25, 2013, 01:18:04 PM »
I liked Argo just fine... Not so sure it's Best Picture material... but I don't think I've yet seen any of the other films that were nominated. The only part of the movie that really made me roll my eyes was...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But yea... past that... I thought it all worked fine... and it made me go read the real accounts of what happened... so there is that as well. Affleck isn't anything to write home about, but he didn't win best actor.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #12430 on: February 25, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »
I'll never quite understand folks hating on Argo fabricating plot points for its once-true story (you'd think they never did that in movies before). I've always seen that movie's point being the general craziness of the situation, blown out to Hollywood proportions (and still managing to be quite thrilling). It works for the movie, and it makes it a class-act thriller.

And Affleck played a quiet role quietly. He did a fine enough job, but because he has the misfortune of being Ben Affleck, people hate on him more for it.

Looper

Gotta protest this one. While the sci-fi and time travel aspects of this movie are more world building/background to the actual meat of the story, it still plays with some very fascinating ideas, and definitely shows having put a good amount of thought in them, even if they don't all hold up 100%. The hallmarks of good non-2001 sci-fi, in other words.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12431 on: February 25, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »
Looper

Gotta protest this one. While the sci-fi and time travel aspects of this movie are more world building/background to the actual meat of the story, it still plays with some very fascinating ideas, and definitely shows having put a good amount of thought in them, even if they don't all hold up 100%. The hallmarks of good non-2001 sci-fi, in other words.

The ideas are interesting, and I'd say the big plot holes don't really hit you until after you watch the movie and think about it for a while.  So good fiction, just not good science fiction.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #12432 on: February 25, 2013, 03:12:15 PM »
Looper

The ideas are interesting, and I'd say the big plot holes don't really hit you until after you watch the movie and think about it for a while.  So good fiction, just not good science fiction.

So you keep saying, but I'm still not getting it (and a lot of the plot holes I've noticed for the movie are either inconsequential or can be handwaved away). What exactly does it take to qualify as "good" sci-fi these days? Did a whole mass of other "good" sci-fi pictures get released last year, and I was just too busy with Looper to notice? Actual serious question, because now I wanna know what I gotta check up on. As for Looper itself, like I said, it presents interesting ideas and actually goes somewhere with them (as opposed to flailing with the concept, a la In Time). Seems pretty good to me.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12433 on: February 25, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »
Looper

So you keep saying, but I'm still not getting it (and a lot of the plot holes I've noticed for the movie are either inconsequential or can be handwaved away). What exactly does it take to qualify as "good" sci-fi these days? Did a whole mass of other "good" sci-fi pictures get released last year, and I was just too busy with Looper to notice? Actual serious question, because now I wanna know what I gotta check up on. As for Looper itself, like I said, it presents interesting ideas and actually goes somewhere with them (as opposed to flailing with the concept, a la In Time). Seems pretty good to me.

That middle part makes no sense, do you grade all movies on a yearly curve?  Doesn't matter to me if other good or bad movies are released in my views on any particular movie.

As for why it's bad science fiction, it doesn't have any real science in it, and the made up science is inconsistent in it's application.  If you are going to make up some science for your movie at least pick one theory and stick with it.  How the old and young versions of people affect with each other is all over the place, and there's also a huge paradox at the end as well as throwing another inconsistency in there.  So, bad logic and science, those can be OK for drama or regular fiction, but bad for science fiction.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #12434 on: February 25, 2013, 03:42:51 PM »
That middle part makes no sense, do you grade all movies on a yearly curve?  Doesn't matter to me if other good or bad movies are released in my views on any particular movie.

As for why it's bad science fiction, it doesn't have any real science in it, and the made up science is inconsistent in it's application.  If you are going to make up some science for your movie at least pick one theory and stick with it.  How the old and young versions of people affect with each other is all over the place, and there's also a huge paradox at the end as well as throwing another inconsistency in there.  So, bad logic and science, those can be OK for drama or regular fiction, but bad for science fiction.

Yeah, I phrased that one badly. I'm just trying to get some sort of measuring stick here for what constitutes good sci-fi. But then, that's always been a personal weakness: the need to compare.

And the way you've put it, essentially every single time travel film ever made doesn't count as sci-fi, what with that being a scientific field that doesn't really exist or ever will (something that would also likely include any space movie featuring faster-than-light travel or something similar).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)