Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1581383 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11760 on: October 08, 2012, 08:00:52 AM »
The Cabin in the Woods. What the fuck did I just watch?!

Did you like it?

Honestly, not really. It was a little different, I'll give it that, but it mostly felt like a confused Evil Dead ripoff to me.

I can, after much personal struggle, see someone not liking it. But Evil Dead ripoff? That loses me, or at least makes me wonder what Evil Dead movie I've been watching all these years.

I'm interested to hear people's take on it because I've showed it to a few non-horror fan friends who've loved it.  Unlike 'Drag Me to Hell' where I think you *needed* to be a hardcore horror fan to fully appreciate it, there's a lot of Scream-esq mocking of the tropes while celebrating them as well as the subplot that turns everything on it's head. 
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3569
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11761 on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:40 AM »
The Five Year Engagement

I loved it.  One of the best I've seen this year.  Very funny and charming.  Chris Pratt is awesome.

Coragale

« Reply #11762 on: October 08, 2012, 10:54:42 AM »

Did you like it?

Honestly, not really. It was a little different, I'll give it that, but it mostly felt like a confused Evil Dead ripoff to me.

I can, after much personal struggle, see someone not liking it. But Evil Dead ripoff? That loses me, or at least makes me wonder what Evil Dead movie I've been watching all these years.

I'm interested to hear people's take on it because I've showed it to a few non-horror fan friends who've loved it.  Unlike 'Drag Me to Hell' where I think you *needed* to be a hardcore horror fan to fully appreciate it, there's a lot of Scream-esq mocking of the tropes while celebrating them as well as the subplot that turns everything on it's head. 

I actually hate the horror genre. Can't stand blood and gore and the like, but I loved Cabin in the Woods.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #11763 on: October 08, 2012, 01:31:58 PM »

Did you like it?

I actually hate the horror genre. Can't stand blood and gore and the like, but I loved Cabin in the Woods.

I don't hate horror, but it's far from my favorite. I just rented this and looking forward to watching it tonight when the kids go to bed.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11764 on: October 08, 2012, 02:48:03 PM »
I don't mind blood. For me its organs and entrails and stuff that really gets to me.  Some scenes in zombie movies I've seen leave me in a cold sweat.

Romero always devotes at least one scene to nothing but zombies chowing down after a big rush. It can definitely get a bit nauseating.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5895
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11765 on: October 08, 2012, 05:01:43 PM »
I don't mind blood. For me its organs and entrails and stuff that really gets to me.  Some scenes in zombie movies I've seen leave me in a cold sweat.

Romero always devotes at least one scene to nothing but zombies chowing down after a big rush. It can definitely get a bit nauseating.

Yes, the guy in the hallway in one of those movies (only seen it on youtube) is what I was thinking of.  And Dylan Moran's death in Shaun really got me too.
You're thinking of Captain Rhodes' death in Day of the Dead when he gets ripped apart alive (CHOKE ON EM! CHOKE ON EM!), which the Dylan scene was a reference to because the same thing happens to him (without the macho screaming).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5895
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11766 on: October 08, 2012, 05:21:18 PM »
The only time I have a problem with gore is when it's done very realisticly, and isn't over the top or fake looking. But then just that I am frustrated with the lack of fun. Just regular humans torturing other regular humans is the epitomy of boring.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11767 on: October 08, 2012, 10:30:51 PM »
Argo

Wow.  It was really intense for not having many action scenes.  Ben Affleck really knows how to direct.  I think he'll get a lot of recognition for this. 

Very topical with the embassy attacks in Libya and Egypt.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #11768 on: October 09, 2012, 01:13:56 AM »
The only time I have a problem with gore is when it's done very realisticly, and isn't over the top or fake looking. But then just that I am frustrated with the lack of fun. Just regular humans torturing other regular humans is the epitomy of boring.

I'm a gorehound regardless of the situation, but yeah. I generally prefer a Dead/Alive style thing as opposed to a Hostel or Irreversible style thing (and I say that as someone who likes all three of those movies).

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #11769 on: October 09, 2012, 08:44:24 AM »
Argo

Wow.  It was really intense for not having many action scenes.  Ben Affleck really knows how to direct.  I think he'll get a lot of recognition for this. 

I thought this didn't come out until the 12th. How diss you get to see it you lucky bastard?
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #11770 on: October 09, 2012, 04:32:49 PM »
Capitalism:  A love story

Another Michael Moore movie, this one about the Wal Street crash and bank bail out.  Very interesting.

Thinking I may go see Frankenweenie Wednesday night.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #11771 on: October 09, 2012, 06:54:40 PM »
So I finished Cabin in the Woods. Loved it. I wasn't sure what to think at first because it was mostly the same old horror flick cliches with random scenes of other stuff for no apparent reason. Then it all came together and I was pleasantly surprised. 

Coragale

« Reply #11772 on: October 09, 2012, 07:45:05 PM »
Capitalism:  A love story

Another Michael Moore movie, this one about the Wal Street crash and bank bail out.  Very interesting.

Thinking I may go see Frankenweenie Wednesday night.

If he wanted that movie to make sense, he shouldn't have charged people to see it. The only thing I remember about that is him standing in front of a stock board looking confused. I hate that fat asshole.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11773 on: October 09, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »
Argo

I thought this didn't come out until the 12th. How diss you get to see it you lucky bastard?

I got advance tickets. www.gofobo.com usually offers stuff to the public. There is also a local critic who offers advance tickets on his website.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #11774 on: October 10, 2012, 05:14:51 AM »
Argo

I got advance tickets. www.gofobo.com usually offers stuff to the public. There is also a local critic who offers advance tickets on his website.

Gofobo's great, but I only ever seem to get tickets from them when I get a random invite (and then it's a mixed bag as to whether it's a movie that's actually worth watching). I go onto their site and see all these other screenings, and they always are completely filled up long before I ever even get a chance.