Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1536482 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5641
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11715 on: October 01, 2012, 08:14:53 PM »
For some reason I don't remember, Tin Tin the character annoyed from the beginning. Probably because he didn't really do much actual investigation, and acted like a kid, even though he was supposed to be an adult (early twenties) and a real reporter. I did like Haddock, but by that point it was just Stuff That Happens To Tin Tin: The Movie. And the end reveal MADE NO SENSE!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2611
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11716 on: October 01, 2012, 08:24:16 PM »
For some reason I don't remember, Tin Tin the character annoyed from the beginning. Probably because he didn't really do much actual investigation, and acted like a kid, even though he was supposed to be an adult (early twenties) and a real reporter.

He is actually meant to be a child:

A 1979 television interview with Hergé settled the matter, when Hergé stated that when he first thought about Tintin, the character was 14 or 15 years old, and by the time of the interview stated: "but now, let's say that he is 17."

I did like Haddock, but by that point it was just Stuff That Happens To Tin Tin: The Movie. And the end reveal MADE NO SENSE!

Which reveal is that?

And it's Tintin. One word. :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:32:28 PM by Edward J Grug III »
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5641
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11717 on: October 01, 2012, 08:54:47 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11718 on: October 01, 2012, 09:03:34 PM »
My only real complaint about the Tintin movie was the chase scenes are way too long, there are so many and they just seem to go on forever.  It did get me interested in it.  Watched some of the cartoon movies from the 50s or 60s on Netflix but didn't like them.  Then started on the series from the 90s and like that a lot.

For some reason the way the show from the 90s was done it makes the fact that Tintin just seems to be a catalyst most of the time more watchable.  Maybe because from what I've read it follows the books very closely.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11719 on: October 01, 2012, 09:06:58 PM »

FINE

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11720 on: October 01, 2012, 09:11:34 PM »
My only real complaint about the Tintin movie was the chase scenes are way too long, there are so many and they just seem to go on forever.  It did get me interested in it.  Watched some of the cartoon movies from the 50s or 60s on Netflix but didn't like them.  Then started on the series from the 90s and like that a lot.

For some reason the way the show from the 90s was done it makes the fact that Tintin just seems to be a catalyst most of the time more watchable.  Maybe because from what I've read it follows the books very closely.

I loved the chase scenes, but that's just me. The final, single-shot one is just incredible.

I never liked the tv series. Found them clunky and slow. Loved the books though.

I wonder if it has to do with me never reading the books or watching the cartoon? I found the exposition really childish and clumsy, but every time I said anything to that effect, everyone said "Well, it's just like that in the comics, so..."

It's entirely possible. The movie seemed to be much more well received everywhere else than it did in the US.
FINE

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #11721 on: October 02, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »
I received Tintin well.  My 3D copy can attest.

However, the last movie I saw isn't doing all that well here OR overseas.  Saw it tonight.

Dredd.

If you have a weak stomach when it comes to face-related violence, than you probably won't like it.  Which is a shame, since it's awesome, awesome, awesome.  Even having seen The Raid and worrying it would be the same movie...no, no it isn't.  They're both excellent in very different ways.  And after the bland horror movie I sat through earlier today, it's nice to see a film that is incredibly memorable.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #11722 on: October 02, 2012, 09:53:46 PM »
What is "face related violence"?

Try Binging the words involved and see if you can piece it together.
FINE

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #11723 on: October 02, 2012, 10:34:06 PM »

It's like "groin related violence" except higher and less likely to win America's Funniest Home Videos.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11724 on: October 03, 2012, 03:45:44 AM »

The trailer feauters a slow motion transist of a bullet through a character's mouth and cheek, I imagine that's not the only occurrence of visuals along those lines or similar acts occuring or SJP would probably not have mentioned it specifically.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11725 on: October 03, 2012, 06:28:27 AM »

It's when Templeton Peck beats someone up
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11726 on: October 03, 2012, 06:42:25 AM »

However, the last movie I saw isn't doing all that well here OR overseas.  Saw it tonight.

Dredd.

If you have a weak stomach when it comes to face-related violence, than you probably won't like it.  Which is a shame, since it's awesome, awesome, awesome.  Even having seen The Raid and worrying it would be the same movie...no, no it isn't.  They're both excellent in very different ways.  And after the bland horror movie I sat through earlier today, it's nice to see a film that is incredibly memorable.

Were you watching both for Mike T. site?

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11727 on: October 03, 2012, 07:31:25 AM »

Dredd.

I'm really happy to be hearing all these good things about Dredd, especially considering I was one of those people who were concerned it would just be a Raid ripoff (which actually doesn't make the most amount of sense, since they were made too close to each other for it to be in any way intentional).

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6815
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #11728 on: October 03, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »

Try Binging the words involved and see if you can piece it together.

How do I binge words? Eat a lot of them?

maybe he meant "binning", a statistical term. like count the number of times each letter appears or the word length or something.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #11729 on: October 03, 2012, 11:15:25 AM »
Anyway.  It was a pretty funny riff, but holy shit was that movie too long. 3.5 hours? Really?

Avatar is a great riff, on of my favorites.  The movie is perfect for riffing, great visuals combined with stupid plot, 1 dimensional characters, and pretty much everything in it a rip off of other movies/books.

And you know there is an extended cut that adds about 20 minutes....   I've only watched it once since the Rifftrax doesn't sync with it, but it adds some good back story for Sigourney Weaver's character.  Her part becomes a more realistic character, but it makes the movie close to 4 hours long.