Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1541366 times)

Zombie Monty

Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #11370 on: August 18, 2012, 06:07:27 AM »
BTW, Darth Geek's hanging out with us.

Has he gone all Annie Wilkes on you yet, cause you know that is coming right?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5649
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11371 on: August 18, 2012, 08:30:15 AM »
BTW, Darth Geek's hanging out with us.

Has he gone all Annie Wilkes on you yet, cause you know that is coming right?

No. But I did get them to watch the Misery parody episode of The Critic.

"I hate to tell you this lady, but you're nuts!"
"Oh, you sounds just like the toaster."

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #11372 on: August 18, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »
Fantastic Mr. Fox. Wasn't sure what to think about this one. It took a while to get used to the style, with the minimal soundtrack and dry humor, but it's really grown on me the more I watch it. Since I have kids who will watch a movie several times before we send it back to Netflix, I've gotten a chance to watch it fully once and here and there multiple times. May have to purchase this one eventually.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5090
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11373 on: August 18, 2012, 02:32:14 PM »
Watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit again with a friend who hasn't seen it since childhood.  Opened up a lot of childhood scars for him.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11374 on: August 18, 2012, 03:27:17 PM »
Watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit again with a friend who hasn't seen it since childhood.  Opened up a lot of childhood scars for him.

Was his partner killed by an anvil too?
Wasn't it a safe to the head?

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #11375 on: August 18, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »

The brother was killed by a piano, Acme was killed by the safe.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #11376 on: August 18, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »

The brother was killed by a piano, Acme was killed by the safe.
Oh yeah, got that confused.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11377 on: August 18, 2012, 06:39:29 PM »
Between the toon shoe getting dipped and Judge Doom going bonkers, the film is a very effective childhood trauma delivery system.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #11378 on: August 18, 2012, 08:24:39 PM »
My brother has a whole-house dvd system set up at his place (or used to, haven't seen him do it in awhile), and would just have one dvd playing over and over and over and over (he'd rip a copy and play the copy so it wouldn't wear out his proper discs).  I remember one time visiting him we watched North by Northwest about half a dozen times in snippets.  It's a little like watching A Christmas Story on TNT around Xmas.  It's not something I'd want to do regularly, but it's kinda neat for really getting to know a movie.

I used to have a 14" LCD tv and dvd player dedicated to looping Psycho at a relatively low volume at all hours of the day every day.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline losingmydignity

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 294
« Reply #11379 on: August 18, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »
The 1932 Island of Lost Souls. I thought this was a great movie.

I wanted to see it so badly when I was a kid and heard it was good, but it exceeded my expectations. Many precode 30's films feel like they were filmed in the 1600's (yes, a reference to Maniac) but this one had just the right measure of camp and genuine creepiness. Good acting (for the time) great atmosphere and I have a crush on the wonderful Panther Woman played by Kathleen Burke. Nice subtle details, like Laughton callously running his hands like a doctor over a screaming mutant in the House of Pain. I waited a long time to see this and it was worth it.

Criterion did a great job. The extras are great too.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #11380 on: August 18, 2012, 08:46:45 PM »
Cabin in the Woods

Possibly my favorite final act in recent memory, watched it with some non-horror fan friends and they loved it too.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Coragale

« Reply #11381 on: August 18, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »
Incredible movie. It's obvious jump scares STILL got to me. It should also be noted that I'm a complete coward, and I enjoyed the hell out of that movie.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #11382 on: August 19, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »
I found things like Robocop and Scanners and Poltergeist and the Terminator frightening and/or disgusting when I was a kid.  Roger Rabbit isn't even in the same league.  It's about cartoons.

Horrifiying isn't just about something being gross or going boo.  Did you see the fucking expression on that shoe when it's writhing in agony.  Imagine a child watching a sweet little cartoon guy being tortured and killed in front of your eyes.  Oh, and then we see Doom's hand covered in what's left of the shoe.  The shoe THAT WAS FUCKING ALIVE!

The Emperor's Club

That wasn't terribly good.  Kevin Kline is quite good, but it's in service of a weak story with a cheesy finale.  A real waste of Kline.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #11383 on: August 19, 2012, 04:41:47 PM »
The Emperor's Club

That wasn't terribly good.  Kevin Kline is quite good, but it's in service of a weak story with a cheesy finale.  A real waste of Kline.

Incidentally, "A Real Waste of Kline" is the title of my one-man stage version of "Wild Wild West".

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #11384 on: August 19, 2012, 04:42:36 PM »
The Hunger Games

My wife had read the book, and said it was a decent little page turner... and the movie was roughly the same kind of thing... Nothing to write home about, but competently done and entertaining enough. The acting is generally good, although some of the teen actors playing the evil characters are a bit over the top. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic, totalitarian, dystopian, shit has gone to hell type of stuff... and the production design here is hit-you-over-the-head obvious, but still effective... The oppressed masses live in the 1930s dustbowl, the oppressing rich folk and bourgeois live in a brightly colored, Wonka inspired version of pre-revolutionary France with a dash of art deco throw in for good measure... oh... and a televised version of "The Most Dangerous Game" starring dustbowl teenagers has lasted for 74 seasons. (I think The Simpsons are in season 247 via the movie chronology)

The story itself is ludicrous on the surface, but the performances and visuals generally kept me playing along. The running time bloats towards 2.5 hours, and the pacing seems a bit off in places... some stuff early on probably warranted less screen time while stuff at the end could have used more...  But I didn't start telepathically instructing the movie to wrap it up until after the two hour mark... so it wasn't a chore to sit through by any means. There are no real surprises to be found, no big twist that's going to make you ponder this thing after it's done, but not a bad rental by any means... and where else are you going to see a handful of teenagers killed with swords and shit? Certainly less annoying and/or riff worthy than that other teen phenomenon with the sparkly vampires.