Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1581419 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10815 on: May 14, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »
I've always seen cameos as non-credited performances.

You might want to talk to SAG about that....

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #10816 on: May 14, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »
"The Muppets"

Loved it!  Also got "The Muppet Show" season 1, haven't watched it yet.

I don't remember much about the muppet show, I was a baby.  My mom wrote in my my baby book that one of my first words was Kermie.  I do remember the movies very well though.

Love that Jason Segal brought the Muppets back.  Also enjoyed the cameos.  Although the word "cameo" bothers me.  How can they be cameos if their names are in the final credits?  I've always seen cameos as non-credited performances.

I have fond memories of The Muppet Show as a child... not real precise memories... but fond ones... I was seven years old when it went off the air, so a lot of it is a blur. Although my parents love telling the story of how I was briefly banned from watching it because the Swedish Chef would make me laugh until I pissed myself.

Anyways, I recently borrowed season one from a friend and we watched it as a family over the course of a few weeks. I'll say that the Muppet charm is there... and my two young sons seemed to enjoy it for the most part.... but this is barely more than lame 1970s variety show fare. Tons of really, really bad punchlines... punchlines that you'd boo Tim Conway off your LCD screen if he said them on a rerun of Maude... but punchlines that somehow seem passable when Jim Neighbors is telling them to Frank Oz's left hand... And the laugh track... holy shit... it makes Two and a Half Men sound like it was filmed in a morgue. Tears pooled in my nostalgia filled spectacles...

We have started watching season two, and through the first DVD, the writing is a bit stronger... So I have renewed expectations going forward... lots of shows take a bit to find their wheelhouse.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:25:50 PM by Nunyerbiz »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10817 on: May 15, 2012, 12:19:52 AM »
I will suggest, that if you're up for getting more Muppet Show on DVD, season 3 is probably my favorite, if for no other reason than it contains the Alice Cooper episode, and that episode is made of pure awesome.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #10818 on: May 15, 2012, 03:36:39 AM »
The Steve Martin ep is amazing too, I'd suggest maybe picking and choosing a bit based on guests you like?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5895
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10819 on: May 15, 2012, 04:41:15 AM »
I agree on the Alice Cooper episode. Not so much on the Steve Martin one, but that's just me.

The thing about the Muppet Show, is that even if I like the guest star, THAT'S NOT WHY I'M WATCHING! I'm watching it for the Muppets themselves, and the best guest segments are always them interacting with the Muppets anyway, if that. I appreciate their attention to detail in the variety show format (although by it's very nature, that makes it hit or miss). But I could watch an entire show devoted to the Swedish Chef, or Link Hogthrob, or Fozzie (an entire show devoted to Miss Piggy would be like pulling fingernails, though).

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #10820 on: May 15, 2012, 05:08:56 AM »
I would occasionally watch reruns on Cartoon Network or Disney or whatever cable channel they were on back in the day... and generally enjoyed it... but I'm guessing that these were primarily drawn from later seasons. It wasn't that the S1 shows were bad or anything... I guess I was just expecting it to not be such a product of it's time, which was probably my fault. I did enjoy seeing guest stars that I had completely forgot existed, like Twiggy, Ruth Buzzi and Little Enos from Smokey and the Bandit.

We've been watching the S2 in who-knows-what order, as my six year old likes to say "we saw all of these!" and he'll throw a new DVD in the player.... when there is no way we had seen all of them yet... But I recalled liking the Steve Martin and John Cleese episodes so far... my kids got a big kick out of Gonzo's arms being stretched out to ridiculous lengths after he caught a cannonball.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10821 on: May 15, 2012, 05:23:21 AM »
I have the three seasons that have been released so far. I can't beleive they aren't releasing the 4th and 5th season yet. WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG?!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10822 on: May 15, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »
Finally watched War Horse

Hell of a movie, a roller-coaster of ups and downs, and very impressive cinematography.

I guess this is Spielberg's WWI version of Saving Private Ryan....

Invader_quirk

« Reply #10823 on: May 15, 2012, 08:19:43 PM »
Saw Chronicle at the dollar theater. The found-footage format can be very powerful indeed. It was riveting. The less revealed about it, the better, so I'll just say that it needs to be seen.

Coragale

« Reply #10824 on: May 16, 2012, 09:57:30 AM »
I'm definitely interested in seeing War Horse at some point.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #10825 on: May 16, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
I refuse to watch War Horse.  I can watch a movie with people dying left and right and if doesn't affect me as much as an animal in peril.  I can figure out how it ends, don't think I could handle it.

Looks like a good movie though
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #10826 on: May 16, 2012, 12:00:02 PM »
I seem to feel more and more alone for finding War Horse to be a dull, saccharine mess of a film (my least favorite Spielberg movie, come to think of it).

Maybe I just hate horses or something.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #10827 on: May 16, 2012, 12:05:47 PM »
I can watch a movie with people dying left and right and if doesn't affect me as much as an animal in peril.  I can figure out how it ends, don't think I could handle it.

I'm the opposite, actually. I just think that in a movie with human beings dying left and right, while I may feel bad for the horse, it's focusing on the part I care about the least. That and, yeah, I really don't care about horses specifically. I don't think they are beautiful animals, or think they are great at all.

I still can't beleive we're still getting saccharine animal movies, anyway.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10828 on: May 16, 2012, 12:26:18 PM »
I refuse to watch War Horse.  I can watch a movie with people dying left and right and if doesn't affect me as much as an animal in peril.  I can figure out how it ends, don't think I could handle it.

How you think it ends is probably wrong.  For the first 3/4 I wasn't sure how it was going to end, then it became pretty obvious and the tension points after that lost some of their impact, it was just a matter of how they were going to pull off the obvious ending.

I think it's not too spoilery to say that way more people than horses die in the film.

It's long, but they use the extra time for loads of character development of both the horse(s) and the people that come and go around the horse.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #10829 on: May 17, 2012, 04:27:44 PM »
Killer Elite - Jason Statham punches people.  It's set in 1980.

Seraphim Falls -Remember when Armageddon and Deep Impact came out at roughly the same time?  This is Pierce Brosnan's and Liam Neeson's answer to Brokeback Mountain.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!