login

Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1539627 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10455 on: March 03, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »
Just watched that myself tonight. Loved it. Definitely helps if you're familiar with early cinema, too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Melies...he was Frasier's brother, right?

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10456 on: March 03, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »
Just watched that myself tonight. Loved it. Definitely helps if you're familiar with early cinema, too.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Melies...he was Frasier's brother, right?

;D

But even the backstory of Melies was done so well, and the way they got to it was great, and it sets up the end of the movie so nicely.  I'm going to have to watch it a 3rd time pretty soon...

The "making of" segments show how much work they put into the sets and props.  Most of the clock machinery was real, not CGI.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #10457 on: March 03, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »
Project X. Jesus Tapdancing Christ I hate high school. Or rather, I hate the this-is-the-most-important-time-of-my-life-so-let's-get-plastered-and-laid mentality that seems to thrive within it (college too, though somehow it's worse in high school simply because more of it is illegal for folks there, and thus they try harder for it). It's a disease, that way of thinking, one of twisted priorities and a very skewed perspective. And this movie capitalizes on it, enlarges upon it, and then completely becomes it: everything that's wrong with those not-quite-adult teens, wrapped into slightly less than an hour and a half.

Now, credit where credit's due, this is a party movie that delivers one of the most crazy, anarchistic parties ever filmed, and I congratulate them on going the distance with the craziness (well mostly. It doesn't make things nearly dark enough. It flirts with the more nihilistic side of things a few times, but in the end is much too physically harmless). For found footage it is very well shot, and by and large it's actually got some pretty solid filmmaking going on here. But when you've got a movie led by teenagers who are the definition of stupid (and, in the case of the party planner, who give you a feeling of wanting to start punching him and never stop) and wraps with a message that does bring in some of the reality but also says "Hey, relax, it'll be OK. Of course it'll be OK.", then it sets one of the most socially irresponsible messages ever. I realize I'm going to hate myself for typing that (it's a phrase I never want to use, not when it comes to movies and pop culture), but for real, this thing is too much.

I guess what I'm saying is that this movie is evil  and needs to be destroyed. Every print burned, every digital file smashed, and the original master put onto a rocket (with 120 Days of Sodom) and launched into the sun.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 01:19:22 PM by Relaxing Dragon »

Invader_quirk

« Reply #10458 on: March 03, 2012, 12:58:45 PM »
For all the reasons you've described, I will not be seeing Project X. I hate teenagers so so much.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #10459 on: March 03, 2012, 02:09:02 PM »
Project X. Jesus Tapdancing Christ I hate high school. Or rather, I hate the this-is-the-most-important-time-of-my-life-so-let's-get-plastered-and-laid mentality that seems to thrive within it (college too, though somehow it's worse in high school simply because more of it is illegal for folks there, and thus they try harder for it). It's a disease, that way of thinking, one of twisted priorities and a very skewed perspective. And this movie capitalizes on it, enlarges upon it, and then completely becomes it: everything that's wrong with those not-quite-adult teens, wrapped into slightly less than an hour and a half.

Now, credit where credit's due, this is a party movie that delivers one of the most crazy, anarchistic parties ever filmed, and I congratulate them on going the distance with the craziness (well mostly. It doesn't make things nearly dark enough. It flirts with the more nihilistic side of things a few times, but in the end is much too physically harmless). For found footage it is very well shot, and by and large it's actually got some pretty solid filmmaking going on here. But when you've got a movie led by teenagers who are the definition of stupid (and, in the case of the party planner, who give you a feeling of wanting to start punching him and never stop) and wraps with a message that does bring in some of the reality but also says "Hey, relax, it'll be OK. Of course it'll be OK.", then it sets one of the most socially irresponsible messages ever. I realize I'm going to hate myself for typing that (it's a phrase I never want to use, not when it comes to movies and pop culture), but for real, this thing is too much.

I guess what I'm saying is that this movie is evil  and needs to be destroyed. Every print burned, every digital file smashed, and the original master put onto a rocket (with 120 Days of Sodom) and launched into the sun.

I hate movies about teenagers and college kids.  I always just want to punch the heroes in the face.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #10460 on: March 03, 2012, 03:48:07 PM »
For all the reasons you've described, I will not be seeing Project X. I hate teenagers so so much.
You're 20!

« Reply #10461 on: March 03, 2012, 03:53:51 PM »
You're 20!

So what?  I couldn't stand teenagers when I was a teenager.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #10462 on: March 03, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »
You're 20!

So what?  I couldn't stand teenagers when I was a teenager.

This.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #10463 on: March 03, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »

I had no real interest in seeing it before "then it sets one of the most socially irresponsible messages ever" and now I'm looking forward to it :)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Starman!

• Liked: 359
« Reply #10464 on: March 03, 2012, 07:35:13 PM »
I'm a teen and I think teens fucking suck.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #10465 on: March 03, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »
You guys are kind of weird.  Go fuck some teenagers, go have some beer, do normal shit. Get off the internet.

Say, that's a good impression of why I hate teenagers.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3114
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #10466 on: March 04, 2012, 01:07:46 AM »
You guys are kind of weird.  Go fuck some teenagers, go have some beer, do normal shit. Get off the internet.
Says the man with the 4th highest post count and 7th highest time online on the boards. :^)

« Reply #10467 on: March 04, 2012, 04:47:36 AM »

Say, that's a good impression of why I hate teenagers.

Yeah.  I'd rather read a book then party all the time with loud music and that is why even when I wa sa teenager I never really got along with other teenagers.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

« Reply #10468 on: March 04, 2012, 04:49:57 AM »
I saw the first hour of Hugo last night and so far it is an amazing movie.  If you are an old film buff it is even more enjoyable.  I look forward to seeing the rest and this is one I will have to get on Blu Ray at some point.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 05:10:00 AM by Smith Dr John Smith »
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline book_nerdess

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #10469 on: March 04, 2012, 06:12:38 AM »
I'm going to see The Artist today to see what the fuss is about.
Hey Arizona, how you likin' da rain, girl?