Author Topic: What was the last movie you watched?  (Read 1556384 times)

MartyS (Gromit) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: What was the last movie you watched?
« Reply #10410 on: February 18, 2012, 07:53:36 PM »
Yay! I'm a Llama again! 

Battle Royale: 3rd or 4th viewing and l still  can't work out the ending

Happy Birthday to Me: Wow... just wow

Beetlejuice: First time I've seen it in about a decade, still a joy
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
« Reply #10411 on: February 18, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »
Beginners

I really like it. Christopher Plummer, Ewan McGregor, and Mélanie Laurent were all great. It has a really good screenplay (which should have been nominated in my opinion).

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #10412 on: February 18, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »
I could make that explicit if you like. Lion King sucked hairy lion balls.  Lilo & Stitch was OK, not memorable. I couldn't make it through the Llama one and didn't see the Frog one.

Treasure Planet is really cool visually, but is hampered by being based on an absolutely terrible story.  Fuck you, Robert Louis Stevenson.

I would humbly suggest giving Emperor's New Groove another shot, it's really unlike any other Disney movie

Plus you get fun stuff like this
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Cx7jzq2Bx4?" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5Cx7jzq2Bx4?</a>
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline bta

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 739
  • Sort this; deliver that; I'll make 'em all pay.
« Reply #10413 on: February 20, 2012, 07:54:59 AM »
DRIVE
Very well done movie.  Excellent acting with understated performances.  The only problem I had with it was the ending.  Hated that ending!  My wife has a gigantic crush on Ryan Gosling, so I have to watch a bunch of his movies lately.  At least he's a good actor, so that makes it bearable.

Yeah, but the only interesting thing is WHY do you hate the ending.
\()/ 3~ \()/

Offline Prince of Space 5049

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
  • Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha
« Reply #10414 on: February 20, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »
DRIVE
Very well done movie.  Excellent acting with understated performances.  The only problem I had with it was the ending.  Hated that ending!  My wife has a gigantic crush on Ryan Gosling, so I have to watch a bunch of his movies lately.  At least he's a good actor, so that makes it bearable.

Yeah, but the only interesting thing is WHY do you hate the ending.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[

Watchman

« Reply #10415 on: February 21, 2012, 05:40:27 AM »
My wife has a gigantic crush on Ryan Gosling, so I have to watch a bunch of his movies lately. 

Watch The Believer, if you haven't already. Great film, great early Gosling performance as a conflicted Jewish neo-Nazi. Yeah it gets brought up alongside Romper Stomper and American History X, but The Believer is more psychologically complex, IMO.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #10416 on: February 22, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
Saw Real Steel last night by my fave MST actor turned director Shawn Levy.

Surprisingly liked it.  Didn't really know much about it..  Would recommend it.  Sure, its silly in parts but underneath its a sweet father son story.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2617
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10417 on: February 22, 2012, 02:28:28 PM »
Saw Real Steel last night by my fave MST actor turned director Shawn Levy.

Surprisingly liked it.  Didn't really know much about it..  Would recommend it.  Sure, its silly in parts but underneath its a sweet father son story.

Good to see someone else feel about it the way I do.  It's what a fighting robot movie should be, silly fun with a touch of drama.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10418 on: February 22, 2012, 04:14:26 PM »
It's an adaptation of "Steel" from the old Twilight Zone, yes?

It's based on the same short story by Richard Matheson that the Twilight Zone episode was based on.   In the movie there's no way a human could dress up as one of the robots and survive, but they use an interesting way of getting the robot to fight "more human-like".

spaceforarent

« Reply #10419 on: February 22, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »
It's an adaptation of "Steel" from the old Twilight Zone, yes?

It's based on the same short story by Richard Matheson that the Twilight Zone episode was based on.   In the movie there's no way a human could dress up as one of the robots and survive, but they use an interesting way of getting the robot to fight "more human-like".

Sorry, this is exactly why my mind goes whenever I hear anything about Real Steel.

Offline Riffman for Hire

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 98
  • I'm in the riffing business.
« Reply #10420 on: February 22, 2012, 08:45:08 PM »
I tried watching Bridesmaids, thinking it would be a female version of The Hangover.  No such luck, though.  The movie was a horrendous piece of unfunny crap and I didn't like a single character in it.  I shut it off after ten minutes, so technically I didn't watch the whole thing.

The last movie I watched the whole way through was The Grey.  Which, unlike Bridesmaids, was very good.  Liam Neeson was great as usual.  Nice, stark photography of the Canadian wilderness (doubling for Alaska).  I also think it was one of the most badly promoted films I've seen in a long while.  The trailer made it out to be Liam Neeson vs. the wolves and I actually laughed when I saw it, but it turned out to be about more than just that conflict.  Some of the survival stuff and wolf attacks seemed unrealistic (though acceptable for dramatic license), but otherwise it was an enjoyable film.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #10421 on: February 22, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »
Bolt - 9/10
Well animated, fun story and good characters. Good jokes and memorable lines. Loved the various pigeons. They talk in the regional accent and their heads move and bob all the time like a normal pigeon. Love how the animals talk in english to each other, yet to people listening they are just making their normal animal sounds.

Rango - 8/10
Weird yet beautiful. Fantastic animation but a mostly odd film. Some of the animation or backgrounds and scenery look near photo realistic. Lots of references to other Depp movies. A little too weird for kids, but worth seeing.

Scott Pilgrim - 6.5/10
Cool on visuals and amusing video game references and stuff. But i couldn't really care much about Scott or Ramona. Most of the people in this are pretentious hipster douche bags. I never saw what the huge attraction towards Ramona was... Knives was kinda cute and better as a character. Ramona seemed like a bland hipster a-hole. It was an ok movie, but I can live with only seeing it once. The fights were great and some good bits (diving out the window), but not much for me.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10422 on: February 24, 2012, 07:11:18 PM »
Puss In Boots Blu-Ray 3D

Good movie, good use of 3D.  Thought it started off kind of awkwardly, maybe the first 10 minutes or so, then the rest was pretty good.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3155
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #10423 on: February 24, 2012, 07:29:38 PM »
Went to see The Secret World of Arrietty. Beautifully animated down to every detail. They capture little mannerisms in the way people, cats and bugs move that most animation studios miss, and the sound design was awesome. It takes place in an old house, and things like footsteps, or rain outside sound exactly like they should in that setting. When you're watching things from the Borrower's perspective, little sounds sound bigger. It's an achievement in animation.

A quick peek at IMDB tells me that the UK has a different cast. That seems unusual to me. Would American audiences really be that put-off if they were speaking in an English accent?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:32:33 PM by Pak-Man »

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #10424 on: February 24, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »
I don't think it's so much "British accents would be off-putting to audiences" as it is "Disney's produced the last few Ghibli releases and saw another opportunity for a huge monetary draw." Admitting it makes me feel like Doctor Who?, but I do think Disney's potential profit entered into the decision a fair amount.