Author Topic: The "Who Would Win" Thread  (Read 18147 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5112
  • Mr. Robot
The "Who Would Win" Thread
« on: September 09, 2007, 07:17:32 AM »
Basically, the idea here is to debate who would win in a fight or contest of some kind between... well, anyone, both real and fictional.  It can be your classic straight forward fight or some kind or a staring contest or anything you can imagine.  Basically it would be best to debate for about 15 posts or so before changing the subject and I want you to consider who would win based not on popularity or cool factor (unless it's a popularity or cool contest), but based on what you know about both characters (you can't just say Superman would punch a whole through his opponents just because Superman is a being of endless mercy and so forth).

Also, you should be somewhat detailed in setting up the details of the match.  After all, if it's a Superman/Batman match, a Batman who has prep time and his resources has a much better chance at winning than a Batman just thrown into a match against Superman. After all, he'd be screwed in that situation.

I'm not good at setting up rules for games so if there anything anyone else wants to add for suggested rues go nuts.  But when you come up with a match, remember: it doesn't have to just be a slobberknocker.  It can be a battle of wits, a arm wrestling, eating contest, poetry contest, whatever.

I'll go first:

Robocop Vs. The Terminator (classic evil T-800 version)

Rules: none here except survivor wins.

Situation:  The Terminator is sent back to kill Robocop for, I dunno, some contrived reason.  The fight is in New Detroit and though Robocop doesn't know the details of his opponent, his attention has certainly been drawn to his presence.  They finally meet on a city street at midnight.

Robocop is armed with everything he usually has on patrol.  The Terminator has anything useful he can steal from a gunshop.  Thoughts?

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
Re: The "Who Would Win" Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 07:27:13 AM »
Terminator has no morals, amazing adaptive capabilities, and is more flexible than Robocop. He is also made of harder stuff than Robocop.

Sorry, truth and justice, Robocop has just had his diodes handed to him.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 07:33:26 AM »
Terminator has no morals, amazing adaptive capabilities, and is more flexible than Robocop. He is also made of harder stuff than Robocop.

Sorry, truth and justice, Robocop has just had his diodes handed to him.

I bet Sideswipe would've said "sterner stuff" 'cause it's a reference to a Gobot movie or something.  Anyhoo, I got to say that is probably the case,  but it's probably a tougher battle than you think.  After all, Robcop has morals, but he's pretty dang harsh on normal criminals let alone heartless robots.  Still, I think the big tipping point is whether the Terminator would take a hostage.  I say it would be wise, but since there's a "they can't be reasoned with" thing there, he probably wouldn't even try to take one.  However, I could see him committing a crime, then hiding into the crowd to sneak attack him during the investigation.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 07:39:13 AM »
Yeah, potentially it wouldn't be beyond Terminator not only to use a human as a shield, but also as a weapon. I'm not sure how Robocop would  handle being wailed on by a wailing pedestrian.

Robocop might be able to win if he is able to self destruct close enough to Terminator, but i don't know if he can do that. Also, can he hack computers? That may also work.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
How dare you Johnny Unusual!  Go-Bots are my mortal enemies!
This is a tough one,  I dont think terminator is made out of any stronger material that robocop.  We never really saw the terminator go up against any relatively large calibur weapon other than maybe a shotgun.  I dont see the terminator taking a hostage either.  I think the terminator has an edge in agility.  As for physical strength we dont see alot used by robcop, although his hands can exert 400 foot pounds of pressure.  This could go either way.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 08:48:10 AM »
Another factor that needs to be considered is whether or not the Terminator's learning chip is enabled or disabled for this mission. A Terminator without their learning chip turned on is, while lethal, not really capable of any real deductive reasoning or planning beyond their "default" factory settings (which are impressive, but limited).

A Terminator in learning mode would be much more capable of adapting to the attack strategies of Robocop, especially if they have an initial altercation that the Terminator escapes from - he could learn from the encounter and find other ways to exploit Robocop's various weaknesses.

Overall, though, considering the Terminator is constructed from a futuristic and more resilient metal than Robocop, which is largely immune to weapons fire, I would have to say that he would most likely win in the end. Additionally, in the unlikely event that Robocop defeated him, the Terminator could still explode one of his fuel cells (ala T3), and take Robocop out with him in the nuclear blast - hence, the best Robocop could ever really hope for would be a dual-fatality tie. But it would be fucking awesome to watch. :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 09:08:54 AM »
well since solo Terminators are always set to read only this isnt a factor.  We dont know what the Terminator is made from, its simply called "hyper-alloy"  But like I said we've never seen the terminator shot with anything larger than a shot gun, which wouldn't stop Robocop either.  Not all models are equiped with the same power cells from T3 also.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 09:12:10 AM by Sideswipe »

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 07:15:37 PM »
well since solo Terminators are always set to read only this isnt a factor.  We dont know what the Terminator is made from, its simply called "hyper-alloy"  But like I said we've never seen the terminator shot with anything larger than a shot gun, which wouldn't stop Robocop either.  Not all models are equiped with the same power cells from T3 also.

Actually, the power cells that were referred to in T3, although being mentioned there for the first time, were specifically referred to as the standard fuel cells for the T-800 model. They are a hydrogen based energy cell... the reason they go nuclear is because the reaction is unstable once it is disrupted. This is actually a common belief (and barrier) amongst scientists who are trying to create self-contained renewable energy reactions (a.k.a. cold fusion). Part of why I actually enjoyed the Terminator series so much (even without the riff, though that made it even better, naturally) was because the science "checked out" based on current interpretations and understandings of the physics involved.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 07:24:55 PM »
So, it looks like Robocop is pretty much beat. Especially when you factor in one other thing: Terminators come off an assembly line, but Robo cop is a one and only. You can send back as many as you'd like.

With that, may I propose a new one?

Doctor Doom                     or                                 Lex Luthor?

They find that they are at odds with one another, and resolve to destroy the other. Given some time on both sides, and all their resources, who would destroy who?

Offline Katie

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 07:27:36 PM »
Dr. Doom

he has a ride at Universal (that is literally my only opinion)
"I don't know if you've noticed, but we suck." "10-4"

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 07:29:50 PM »
The Terminator in the 3rd film is reffered to as an 850.  Also what kept the fuel cells from blowing up when the first two Terminators were destroyed?  And why didnt the Terminator use that to kill Sara in the first movie when it was blown in half?  The science is cool and makes sense but Terminator 3 is a crappy movie that pisses all over any continuity from the first two movies.  I dont think you guys give robocop enough credit, but it looks like your moving on.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 07:34:54 PM by Sideswipe »

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 08:24:42 PM »
Dr. Doom
Doom is leader of a whole country, Lex just has Lexcorp.
I really do like pie.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 08:28:31 PM »
Lex can make friends and connections: Doom burns every bridge he crosses.

Doom needs people to know it is him who is attacking them; Lex never lets them know.

Doom spends his time trying to destroy a family of freaks; Lex spends his time trying to kill a god.

Meanwhile, a corporation can be bigger than a country.

I go with Lex here.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 09:17:57 PM »
Doesn't Lex end up as the damn president of the US at one point, anyway? Or was that an alternate reality dealy?

I go with Lex all the way. He's not just evil. He's not just a genius. He's an EVIL GENIUS. And the bald? Badass.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 05:35:59 AM »
The thing about Doom (and please don't confuse him with the movie Doom) is that he's the best simply because he's the second best at everything in the Marvel U.  He's the second best sorcerer after Dr. Strange (it's true, read Triumph and Torment, which was drawn by Hellboy's Mike Mignola) is the second best scientific genius after Reed Richards, the second best strategic genius after Cap and has the second best suit of armor (the best suit of armor, as everyone knows, belongs to Devil Dinosaur).

Lex was indeed President and both are natural leaders, but there's one difference: Lex lies.  Doom Lies occasionally, but in general, any deal you make with him is on the up and up (after a fashion) while Lex lies manipulates and generally uses people.  Actually, they both use people but Lex tends to use people up, while Doom has a little more respect for his tools (well, he treats them better anyway).  After all, Doom probably could force everyone in Latveria to love him, but they all love him anyway since he gave them prosperity and joy and overthrow an incompetent and corrupt tyrant.  Both are supremely arrogant, but Doom has a sense of honor that Lex lacks unless it is too his advantage to have it (some people do occasionally benefit from his help and trust him) and even then, that's credit he's willing to spend.  If Lex leaves any betrayed tools alive, Doom will use them. 

Doom also uses magic, which is something that Lex rarely gets involved with.

For geniuses of this magnitude to have a battle would certainly be worth reading about, but my guess is at the end, Luthor will think he's taken down Doom once and for all... only to find the corpse is a Doombot.  And then too late he will realize the power of Doom.