Author Topic: No Tobey Maguire in ROBOTECH - YET  (Read 6218 times)

Offline Jason_Voorhees

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
Re: Tobey Maguire in ROBOTECH.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 07:19:08 PM »
Robotech could be good. Unlike Transformers (which I love despite the evil hands of Mr. Bay) Robotech is rich in characters and drama similar to the likes of the new Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5. And as seen in Transformers (and really the only good thing about) transformers robots/mecha can be done right and look damn good.

Years ago there were rumors of WETA producing a live action Neon Genesis Evangelion movie. This I think would have been a very bad move, mostly because the subject matter (child abuse, sexual tension, religion ex.) and cultural distinction would have been lost in trying to create a film for the western audience (let alone the "mainstream" audience). I've always thought Mobile Suit Gundam or Robotech/Macross had the ability to transfer to the big screen well and loose little of what made great in the first place through characters, drama or effects.

Here's an intresting article of IGN's Dream Cast for a Robotech movie:
http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/818/818866p1.html

Then again Hollywood not only managed to ruin the simplest concepts:

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 11:13:08 PM »
Am I the only one who, upon rewatching some of these shows, and besides discovering that they were anime, realizes that most of them were just, well ... crappy?

Oh, I'm with you there 100%. Robotech is one of the most overrated shows (not just anime) of all time.

Okay, I'll admit that the melodrama is thick as pea soup in the Robotech series, but I think it could make for a good movie if they get some decent writers to come up with dialogue that's a little more believable than the anime series . . . or at least the English version we got in the States. Can't speak for the original Japanese story.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 12:15:52 AM by MSTJedi »

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 12:06:21 AM »
Tobey Maguire starring in a Robotech movie sounds like a good thing to me.

Yeah, putting two things together that I refuse to watch just makes it extra convenient and easy to avoid. :)

BTW, what I wrote was supposed to be read with the sound of sarcasm in your head.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 10:44:29 AM »
Warner Bros. Chooses 'Robotech' Director (Heat Vision Exclusive)
Commercials helmer Nic Mathieu is in talks to helm the studio's adaptation of the mecha-centered Japanese cartoon series.
Quote from: Borys Kit
Nic Mathieu has been tapped to direct Robotech, Warner Bros.’ big-budget adaptation of the venerable anime featuring giant mechanical warriors.

The project has major franchise potential -- on the scale of Transformers -- and has been in development at the studio since 2007. Akiva Goldsman and Tobey Maguire are producing along with Matthew Plouffe, Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell.

Many writers have worked on the screenplay, but this is the first time a director has been in negotiations to board the project.

The producers conducted an exhaustive search in the fall to find a director who could bring a cutting-edge and modern approach to Robotech, which was a 1980s cartoon series from Harmony Gold USA and Japan's Tatsunoko Productions. It was re-edited and re-dialogued to combine three Japanese anime series to give the producers enough episodes to air as a daily syndicated series.

A sprawling sci-fi epic, Robotech takes place at a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology on an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific island. Mankind is forced to use the technology to fend off three successive waves of alien invasions. The first invasion concerns a battle with a race of giant warriors who seek to retrieve their flagship's energy source known as "protoculture," and the planet's survival ends up in the hands of two young pilots.

The project is a coup for Mathieu, a commercials director whose spots are known for their inventive CG effects but who has yet to make his feature debut.

But Warners already has shown it has plenty of faith in the burgeoning filmmaker: He is attached to direct The Wind, a David Keopp-written sci-fi project that the studio picked up in spring 2012 after being dazzled by his impressive presentation.

Mathieu also is attached to direct The Story of Your Life, an alien drama being produced by Shawn Levy’s 21 Laps.

He is repped by WME, Anonymous Content and Loeb & Loeb.
Cervantes smiled Spain's chivalry away;
A single laugh demolished the right arm
Of his own country; — seldom since that day
Has Spain had heroes.

where did all the happy endings go?, where could all the good times be.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »
This really needs to be a new Battlestar Galactica-esque t.v. show, not a movie.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
This really needs to be a new Battlestar Galactica-esque t.v. show, not a movie.

No
Has Spain had heroes.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »
Why not?

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2013, 06:35:49 PM »
Why not?

because i dont think that robotech fit's that mold.
Has Spain had heroes.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
The Macross saga definitely does.  That was a dark show.  It even had some similiar shit happens moments where people get killed simply because someone screwed up.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
aslo had humor in all the right places.
Has Spain had heroes.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 07:31:27 AM »
Robotech Movie Back Online With Hollywood Gang, ‘300’ Scribe Michael Gordon
Quote from:  Mike Fleming Jr
EXCLUSIVE: The 80s anime series Robotech has been a fascination of filmmakers from Tobey Maguire to Akiva Goldsman, Joby Harold, Gough & Millar, and Lawrence Kasdan. All have tried to adapt the series for the big screen. Stepping up to hopefully get it done is Warner Bros-based producers Hollywood Gang, with Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton producing and 300 and G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra scribe Michael Gordon set to write. They are already eyeing a filmmaker to steer that development and I’m told that Andy Muschietti is the guy they covet. In the 1980s, Robotech, which was brought to America by Frank Agrama and Harmony Gold, was the TV show which introduced a generation of American kids to the revolutionary visual style and open ended storytelling of anime.
Has Spain had heroes.

Offline Zeether

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 06:48:48 PM »
As fun as it would be to see transforming Valkyries in live action. I'm not filling Harmony Gold's pockets to see it even if it's not a large percentage of cash. They may not be the sole reason for other Macross series not coming stateside but they're definitely a thorn in everyone's backside for having a grip on the rights.
"Don't make me shoot you...CROOOOOOOOOW!"

Offline The Lurker

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »
Sony Assembles 1980s Sci-Fi Anime ‘Robotech'
http://deadline.com/2015/03/star-trek-3-idris-elba-robotech-sony-michael-de-luca-1201398788/
Good luck with that one.  Legal issues in 3...2...

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 08:02:18 AM »
Sony Takes Over ‘Robotech,’ Plans Film Franchise (EXCLUSIVE)
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/robotech-movie-sony-tv-series-anime-1201460191/
Has Spain had heroes.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 08:27:33 AM »
Calm down Sony.  Lets see if you can manage one film without fucking it up before you start thinking about more.