Author Topic: Spiderman: One More Day  (Read 7213 times)

Offline jetjaguar15

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
Re: Spiderman: One More Day
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 07:19:14 AM »
I just recently heard about this storyline, and I hate the very idea of it. That is all.

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 09:44:12 PM »
  Read the first part of "Brand New Day" recently, even though I have not yet received the last two parts of "One More Day" so I'm just going by the spoilers I've heard.   So Mary Jane whispered something in Mephisto's ear? Was it, "Make me a super-hero."?

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 09:59:21 AM »
  Read the first part of "Brand New Day" recently, even though I have not yet received the last two parts of "One More Day" so I'm just going by the spoilers I've heard.   So Mary Jane whispered something in Mephisto's ear? Was it, "Make me a super-hero."?

It was "make a bad editorial decision" into Quesada's ear.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 10:56:37 AM »
Yet another reason why I stopped reading new comics years ago.

Every time i try to get back into them they seem to have gotten dumber.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 08:18:07 AM »
The first modern Spidey comic I picked up had Pete and MJ married and she was away filming a movie or something and he had an FDNY cap and was saving some ghetto kid who was running around with his dad's gun. And screw you, Jokey Sada, that's cool. The only thing cooler than being the hero of NYC is being the hero of NYC and being married to a supermodel movie star who probably does unspeakable things to you that can't be shown in comics. Now the greatest superhero is... a bachelor. Wow, a bachelor! That's so glamorous and fantastic. Maybe someday I can grow up to get blowjobs from hookers just like Spider-Man. I mean, who wants a meaningful relationship with a hot chick when you can save your 120-year-old widowed aunt who might drop dead any second from natural causes?

I just wanna know, where's Spidey's cool motorcycle? He's Ghost Rider now, right? You make a deal with the Devil, you're supposed to get a guitar, or a cool motorcycle and a flaming skull. I would be pissed. And this is supposed to be a great sacrifice, right? "Oh no, you mean to save my aunt from death I have to... have sex with whoever I want whenever I want?? Please, no! Take my penis instead! Set me on fire! Anything but that!"

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 11:04:22 AM »
Has anyone figured out why Mephisto wanted their love in the first place??  Really, what does he do with all the "arrangements" and "deals"?  Does he just sit at home watching MJ and Pete cuddle and be all kissy in his spare time?  Isn't there more important dealings and plans that Mephisto could be doing right now like undermining the entire Marvel Universe?  I hear the Skrulls have a devious plan of shooting Jarvis and forcing Stark to choose between his butler or changing his sexual preferences.  Take that you billion dollar alcoholic promiscuous stud you!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 11:05:58 AM by zoom »

Offline KingOfShippers

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 11:13:17 AM »
Has anyone figured out why Mephisto wanted their love in the first place??  Really, what does he do with all the "arrangements" and "deals"?  Does he just sit at home watching MJ and Pete cuddle and be all kissy in his spare time?  Isn't there more important dealings and plans that Mephisto could be doing right now like undermining the entire Marvel Universe?  I hear the Skrulls have a devious plan of shooting Jarvis and forcing Stark to choose between his butler or changing his sexual preferences.  Take that you billion dollar alcoholic promiscuous stud you!

Now see this is one of my problems with it, Mephisto acted rather OOC, he'd more likely ask for one of thier souls or something like that to use as a tool at a later point. Though why use Mephisto to heal your Aunt from a bullet wound is beyond me, I mean I'm sure Daimon Hellstrom could do th exact same thing he did minus the price, or hell doesn't Loki still owe Peter that favor for saving his daughter. Now another thing I don't understand is no one else (Mortal wise) could heal her, I mean surely Strange could of done something, but apparently he can't do shit nowadays.

Offline GalvaTRION

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 4
  • Damn you, Bay.
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 09:54:41 PM »
About a month or so prior to the whole One More Day thing starting up, I had decided I would go back to my old rule- "No big two in your pull list." It was a rule I had because I'd been burned in the past. Any good thing the Big Two have going will inevitably get erased, retconned, or resurrected... for God's sake, even Bucky and Jason Todd.

Having read up on Wiki about this whole OMD hoopla, I'm more secure now than ever in my decision.

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 05:32:23 AM »
You know what the worst part is?  I'm actually enjoying Brand New Day.  Not for the retcon, but for the mood and the change in writing.  JMS is a good enough writer, but did every single issue of his Spider-man run have to make me want to shoot myself in the head after reading it?  I hear most of his misses on ASM was editorially driven (Gwen-Gobbie babies, OMD's retcon) but still, every single issue of his was such a downer.  Spider-man is driven by tragedy, but he doesn't have to have every moment of his life to be ruined to remind him.

I bought the first few issues of Brand New because it's the first time I've seen Spider-man smile on the cover.  Sadly enough, I've actually enjoyed Guggenheim/Slott (both known for humor) very much because they actually made me laugh.  The end result of BND might be good, but the road to it wasn't.  They didn't have to hit the reset button on the past 20 years of Parker's life just to get these results though.  How about just getting someone who knows the character and the MOOD of the comic and have them write it?  Joey, you suck.  On top of that, I can't even begin to think about all my favorite Spidey stories of past that either no longer exist or have been fundamentally changed.

Offline GalvaTRION

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 4
  • Damn you, Bay.
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 05:40:28 AM »
You know what the worst part is?  I'm actually enjoying Brand New Day.  Not for the retcon, but for the mood and the change in writing.  JMS is a good enough writer, but did every single issue of his Spider-man run have to make me want to shoot myself in the head after reading it?  I hear most of his misses on ASM was editorially driven (Gwen-Gobbie babies, OMD's retcon) but still, every single issue of his was such a downer.  Spider-man is driven by tragedy, but he doesn't have to have every moment of his life to be ruined to remind him.

I bought the first few issues of Brand New because it's the first time I've seen Spider-man smile on the cover.  Sadly enough, I've actually enjoyed Guggenheim/Slott (both known for humor) very much because they actually made me laugh.  The end result of BND might be good, but the road to it wasn't.  They didn't have to hit the reset button on the past 20 years of Parker's life just to get these results though.  How about just getting someone who knows the character and the MOOD of the comic and have them write it?  Joey, you suck.  On top of that, I can't even begin to think about all my favorite Spidey stories of past that either no longer exist or have been fundamentally changed.

And there's another issue. Instead of trying something bold, something that made sense (MJ divorces Pete after the boondoggle with his unmasking nearly got her killed and ended up killing Aunt May), they went with a story that makes less sense than the drugged-out ramblings of a retarded hobo and invalidated years and years of continuity for a ridiculous event.

It's getting so that I'm starting to miss Jemas.

Offline zoom

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 07:57:14 AM »
And there's another issue. Instead of trying something bold, something that made sense (MJ divorces Pete after the boondoggle with his unmasking nearly got her killed and ended up killing Aunt May), they went with a story that makes less sense than the drugged-out ramblings of a retarded hobo and invalidated years and years of continuity for a ridiculous event.

It's getting so that I'm starting to miss Jemas.

It's hilarious that you mention that.  Quesada specifically said them divorcing would be unrealistic and silly.  So what's the solution?  BINGO!  Satan destroys history for a single individual in which Parker and MJ never had more than one date!  Of course, that makes sense!  And while we're at it, have Harry (and possibly Gwen) still be alive, he never unmasked, and every story since 1962 is a moot point that never existed or has been completely changed!

I'm curious as to what JMS originally had planned (he came out to say the retcon was all Quesada).  I wasn't the biggest fan of JMS's run on Spidey, but he is a competent writer and probably had a much better solution than Joe's mess.  I mean I hated the Ezekiel and the Other storyline, but they weren't half as bad as this crap.

Offline Nick

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 08:23:04 AM »
Quesada specifically said them divorcing would be unrealistic and silly.  So what's the solution?  BINGO!  Satan destroys history for a single individual in which Parker and MJ never had more than one date!

Hey man, Satan is serious business! ;)
Killing me won't bring back your Goddamned honey!

Offline spider-prime

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • I AM SHEEEE-RAAAAAAAAA!
    • The Magic box - Videogame news.
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2008, 11:46:46 AM »
They should have just killed Mary Jane and Aunt May, they're both really useless.

I still bet anything that this will go away soon enough after reading the fun letter pages on the back of each issue lolol

I'm willing to bet that after secret invasion, Spidey is a skrull and that's how they will fix this, the skrulls are so good now at changing forms not even the devil can tell lololol just wait for it, it's going to happen.
Nobody can stop the Grimace!

Offline KingOfShippers

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2008, 12:31:26 PM »
They should have just killed Mary Jane and Aunt May, they're both really useless.

I still bet anything that this will go away soon enough after reading the fun letter pages on the back of each issue lolol

I'm willing to bet that after secret invasion, Spidey is a skrull and that's how they will fix this, the skrulls are so good now at changing forms not even the devil can tell lololol just wait for it, it's going to happen.

Killing MJ would bring on a backlash even worse than what's going on now, she is still rather popular after all.

Screw Peter what if Mephisto is actually a Skrull.

Offline spider-prime

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • I AM SHEEEE-RAAAAAAAAA!
    • The Magic box - Videogame news.
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »
lol you never know, that could by why he didnt' want his soul, cause he can't actually take it :P
Nobody can stop the Grimace!