Author Topic: Mafia -- Rules, Information, Tips & Tricks  (Read 19449 times)

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
Mafia -- Rules, Information, Tips & Tricks
« on: September 05, 2007, 02:38:11 PM »
Welcome everyone to the game that allows you to kill your friends and laugh about it together -- MAFIA!

This thread is a symposium for all information about the game that is not related to one specific game. You'll be able to find all of the rules and regulations of the game, information on Championship Rounds, and tallies on winners and qualifiers.

Official Mafia - Rules and Regulations

1. The game is played with 25 players. Of the twenty-five people who are playing, I will PM six players alerting them that they are in one of the two Mafia families, the Corbettinis and the Murphiosos. I will then PM two other players alerting them that they are the Informants for this round, and two more players who will be the Vigilantes. Everyone else will be a citizen.

• Citizen - The object of the game for the citizens (i.e., everyone who isn't in the Mafia) is to figure out who is in the Mafia and kill them. Citizens accuse people of being in the Mafia and vote on who to kill during the Citizen's round.
  • Mafia member - The two Mafia families work separately and are trying to kill the Informants, Vigilantes, and the citizens. The way they do that is by PMing the other members in their family and deciding on which players they want to kill. Once they chose a player to kill, they pick a member from their family to PM me with the hit. I will announce that family's hit in the thread and that player will be dead. Note: Try and have some idea of who you'll want to kill beforehand, so if you can't reach one of your family's members, you'll still get your hit in on time. If a family doesn't PM me by the end of their 24 hours they won't get a hit that round. Also, please figure out who will be PMing me the hits for your family, and make sure your whole family is in agreement with the hit choices so I don't get multiple hits from different members of your family with different names of who they want to kill.
  • Informant - The job of the Informants is to find out who is in the Mafia and report it to the Vigilante and/or the Citizens. After the mob families have made their hits the Informants can PM me and ask me if one person is in the Mafia or not. If that person is in the Mafia, I will tell them, otherwise, I will tell them they're not. When the Informant finds out a player is in the Mafia, they PM the Vigilante with the name of the Mafia member. At any time, the Informant can announce what they know to the other players in the game. Note: When PMing the Vigilante the Informant is only allowed to say the name of the player in the Mafia and what family they are in. No talking about the game should be happening in these PMs. Also, please don't tell anyone, besides the Vigilante, who is in the Mafia through PMs because that ruins the game. The Informants can announce what they know in the game thread, but then the Mafia will know who the Informants are, so usually they're only good for one shot doing this.
  • Vigilante - The Vigilantes works like this: Each Vigilante has their own Informant who knows who the Vigilante is and sends him/her the names of the players that are in the Mafia. The Vigilante then uses that knowledge to make a hit like the Mafia does. The catch is the Vigilante will only get to make two hits per game. The Vigilante is not allowed to respond to the Informant's PMs, only take note of who they tell them is in the Mafia. The Vigilante can PM me at any time in the game with a hit, but they must use their 2 hits in separate rounds. Note: If your Informant is killed you still get your hits, but be careful doing this as the last thing you want to do is kill off a Citizen.

A standard 25-man game will have 2 groups of 3 mafia members, two informants, and two vigilantes. The mafia members do not know the identities of the other mafia, nor are the vigilantes initially notified about the identity of their informants.

2. The game starts off with a citizen vote. During the citizen vote everyone posts who they think is in the Mafia and votes on who to kill for that round. Whoever gets the most votes gets killed, and I will announce if they were in the Mafia or not. Now remember, the Mafia members can (and do) vote as citizens, so be on the look out for who votes for who and whatnot during this round. (Tiebreakers are solved by counting the total number of votes for the game, highest total between the tying votegetters is whacked.)

3. After the citizen's vote round, the Mafia families each PM me with their hits and I announce the them in the thread. Note: Mafia families are encouraged to get their hits in as early as possible.

4. After I announce the Mafia kills we start over with another citizen vote. Any time during the citizen's round the Informants can PM me asking if one player is in the Mafia.

5. After that citizens round and the Informants PM me, we just keep repeating these steps: Mafia hit, citizen vote, Informant PM, Mafia hit, citizen vote, Informant PM...so on and so on until we have our winners.

6. The last Mafia members, or citizens, or one Mafia member and one citizen left standing at the end of the game will be the winners.

7. The game is restricted to twenty-five players. I will open the floor to contestants and the first twenty-five people to post in the thread saying that they want in are in. Afterwards anyone who wants to play has to wait until the next game. Note: This is not always the case. Games have been played with as many as 50 players (See House Rules).

8. If you get killed by either the Citizens, Vigilante, or Mafia you are no longer part of the game. At this point, *do not post in the thread about the game!* You can't talk about the game currently being played, accuse people of being in the Mafia, or vote on whom to kill. Dead men tell no tales!

9. Both the Mafia families and the Citizens have 24 hour time limits for their rounds. So, if you're in a Mafia family, decide on who to kill and send your hit in quickly. Citizens, post your vote early. The GM has the right to question the players about ending the round early if everyone has voted and nobody has any intention of changing their votes.

9a. Lightning Round - Upon the first citizen round where there are 10 or less players remaining in the game, Citizen rounds will last for 24 hours or until all players have cast their votes. At that point, the round is considered over and no vote changes are allowed, even in the absence of a GM announcing the round as finished.

10. No multiple accounts allowed! You are only allowed to play with one user name per game. If I find out someone is playing as two different names they will be banned from all future games of Mafia.

11. The only people who are allowed to talk about the game in PMs are the members of the Mafia families. The Informant is allowed to send the Vigilante PMs, but only containing the name of Mafia members and what family they are in, no other talk about the game should be happening in these PMs. The only place anyone else (dead or alive) should be talking about the game is in the game thread. Not in emails, IMs, PMs, at other message boards, but here in the game thread.

12. If you miss 3 Citizen votes in a row you will now be removed from the game. I'm sorry if this seem harsh, but it stinks if you sign up and then don't participate when someone else could have had your spot in the game. Anyway, this isn't as bad as it sounds, what it means is you'll have to miss 3 Citizen votes and 2 Mafia kills before action is taken. At up to 24 hours per round that's at least 3 days, and as many as 5 days, you'd have to go without posting in the game thread before being kicked from the game. The "up to 5 days" could be less because the Mafia doesn't always take the whole 24 hours to get their hits in. Anyway, if you think you'll miss 3 straight Citizen rounds for some reason please let me know in advance and perhaps we can work something out, otherwise you will be booted from the game. You will also be prevented from signing up for the next mafia game... in effect, a one game suspension.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:51:16 PM by ChrisHanel »

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
Re: Mafia -- Rules, Information, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 02:38:36 PM »
Championship Mafia

Winners of Official Mafia games are eligible to enter into Championship Mafia games. These games are highly competitive rounds with prizes for the winners and the chance at eternal glory on the Rifftrax message boards!*

After an interval of mafia games chosen by the GM, a Championship Game will be announced with signups open to the qualifiers listed here. If 25 qualifiers cannot be found, other players will be chosen by the GM to fill in the ranks based on previous experience and expert play.

Championship games can also take the form of special events and side games related to mafia. Stay tuned for more information as it develops.

CURRENT CHAMPIONSHIP LEAGUE MEMBERS:

1. Pak-Man
2. Ortega
3. Johnny Unusual
4. dignan
5. pyro
6. Tempestjonny
7. Bairman
8. Minnesota
9. SaucyRossy
10. Dim of the Yard
11. Steve-O
12. Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
13. Flock of Rabid Sheep
14. LBeria
15. Compound
16. Axnollhouse
17. Thrifty
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:54:19 AM by ChrisHanel »

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 02:38:57 PM »
House Rules

Sometimes, Mafia will be spiced up by special rules to help keep things fresh and allow others to have a bit of fun. Here's several variations or extra rules that will be added from time to time.

(NOTE: Mafia games played with house rules do *NOT* count towards Championship membership, as house rules can make the game extremely volatile and lend to games being decided more by chance than skill, or can shift the balance of power strongly in one direction or the other.)

Bonus Character Roles

Spirit of Vengeance -- The SoV's are designated players that are citizens, but if they are killed, they get to take someone to the grave with them. After being killed, the SoV has 24 hours to exercise their option of killing another player. If they do not exercise this option, it is lost for the remainder of the game.

The Doctor -- The Doctor's position is part of the Live Game of Mafia, and has been incorporated into this game version as well. The Doctors, starting in Round Two, PM the Game Master with the name of a player that they choose to save for the Round. The only time that the Doctor's save will not work, is if the player that they chose is killed by the Citizens. The Doctors will not know the player's position that they are saving, so it is conceivable that they could save a Mafia member. Doctors are not allowed to save themselves.

Cleaner -- The Cleaners work like this: Each Cleaner is assigned to a Mafia Family that can contract out up to two kills per game. The Cleaners can negotiate the person being killed, they can deny the kill or they can accept the kill. The Cleaners are not immune to being killed by their Mafia Family (Game Master will try to hint that it might not be a good idea or something). The Cleaners can also use their two kills as a freelance option too (they can decide to kill people on their own). The Cleaners cannot be offered jobs until the Second Round, and are only available thru the Sixth Round. Informants that uncover a Cleaner can kill the Cleaner on their own, without telling their Vigilante.

Gameplay Variations

Highlander Rules - The two mafia families are not only competing with the citizens, but with each other. Only one of the two families can be victorious. If the game ends with mafia members of both families still alive, the family with fewer casualties wins the match.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:32:27 AM by ChrisHanel »

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 02:39:14 PM »
Tips, Tricks, and Advice

Nope. No tips and tricks. We do not educate people who may be our adversary in the future. Playing mafia well is a secret well guarded by those who know how valuable the information is. We encourage Mafia players *NOT* to help out others! Discuss the game at your own risk!

Records

Most Individuals Receiving Votes, One Round - 16, Game 5 R1 (1/23/08)
(12 people received one vote each)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 06:46:21 AM by ChrisHanel »

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 05:36:12 PM »
Please feel free to use this thread to ask questions about rules, gameplay, championship events, or house rules.

(Also, please do not leave request for Signup PM's here, leave those in the previous game thread. Thanks.)

-Chris

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do you choose who gets special roles?

A: I use the random sequence generator at Random.Org. I ask for a sequence from 1-25 with non repeating numbers, and the results are used to indicate who is who. The first 6 numbers in the sequence are assigned spots in the mafia, 7-8 are informants, and 9-10 are Vigilantes. Obviously, for games with house rule roles, additional people are picked through this method. Using a random sequence generator also ensures that the game is fair and that I can show that I do not "go out of my way" to pick some people or avoid others.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 08:34:07 AM by ChrisHanel »

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 06:25:15 PM »
Chris,

One small item. In your first rules post in this thread, you indicate that the 2 mafia families are trying to kill each other off as well as the citizens. This is true in some versions of the game, but the version you are playing, they should not be trying to kill each other, because if all citizens are dead, ALL mafia members are considered the winners, even if there are surviving members of both families.

Maybe you could update the first post to indicate that the 2 mafia families work separately, but win together? And you could add another item to the variations post to have a ruleset where the 2 families are competing with each other to win on top of trying to execute all of the citizens. You could call it "The One." ;D
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 06:50:37 PM »
Good catch. Fixing. Now I understand why there was so much confusion.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 09:33:33 AM »
Game Two champions added to the list.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 08:05:38 AM »
Shameless bump.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 02:37:25 PM »
Bump.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 06:46:49 AM »
Records section added, though it's currently very small.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 08:39:18 AM »
Just pushing it up onto the first page again. Any chance of a sticky? :)

EDIT: Thank you Gammer  :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:55:06 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 10:55:09 AM »
Just pushing it up onto the first page again. Any chance of a sticky? :)

as you wish...

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 09:28:17 PM »
So Chris, do any of the survivors of Mafia 11 qualify for Championship status (hint, hint)

Or by official, you mean only the ones that you GM?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 09:00:00 PM by URL »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3214
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 10:30:51 PM »
Having 26 players might push it into the "Special Rules" category...