login

Author Topic: give me reason why...  (Read 13463 times)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
Re: give me reason why...
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 03:55:35 PM »
300 ISNT the best movie ever.

there are a large handful of people i work with who beleive this is the best movie ever.  help me defend cinema history give me reason they are wrong. 

Simple.  No giant transforming robots.  Well even simpler, no robots whatsoever.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 01:07:55 PM »
No they don't, all the ones that are still alive form that big shielded ball thing in the final showdown, the only Spartan that "flees" is the narrator...

I couldn't actually figure that bit out. Right before the final battle the narrator tells us that "hundreds leave" then moments later tells us that Leonidas had "300 at his back". Who left? Just the Arcadians/Greeks?

Yes.  All the Spartans save one stay, the rest of the Greeks leave.  Lousy Arcadians, scared of death, want to get back to their damn video games.

Actually, about 700 Thespians stayed and fought (along with 900 Laconian serfs).

You can thank Wikipedia (plus my own obsessive attention to historical details) for that little factoid. ;)
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 07:27:22 PM »
No they don't, all the ones that are still alive form that big shielded ball thing in the final showdown, the only Spartan that "flees" is the narrator...

I couldn't actually figure that bit out. Right before the final battle the narrator tells us that "hundreds leave" then moments later tells us that Leonidas had "300 at his back". Who left? Just the Arcadians/Greeks?

Yes.  All the Spartans save one stay, the rest of the Greeks leave.  Lousy Arcadians, scared of death, want to get back to their damn video games.

Actually, about 700 Thespians stayed and fought (along with 900 Laconian serfs).

You can thank Wikipedia (plus my own obsessive attention to historical details) for that little factoid. ;)

Well sure if you want to throw REAL history in our faces fine, but Frank Miller's history makes it more dramatic and all.   ;D
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 07:32:47 PM »
you know the other day i was watching this,  (this time with the riff)  and it occured to me.  the ending is way way WAAAY tooo dramatic for a guy who missed.   big explanation about the helmet and the shield, and etc.  and then he goes and missus his target.  good job mr we spend our whole lives training in harsh conditions so that we are amazing warriors. 

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 08:27:45 PM »
you know the other day i was watching this,  (this time with the riff)  and it occured to me.  the ending is way way WAAAY tooo dramatic for a guy who missed.   big explanation about the helmet and the shield, and etc.  and then he goes and missus his target.  good job mr we spend our whole lives training in harsh conditions so that we are amazing warriors. 

The point was to make Xerxes bleed. To put a ding in a man who touted himself as an immortal god. To show both the people of Sparta and Xerxes himself that he wasn't a god. Leo knew he wasn't gonna be able to topple the empire with that battle, so he made sure future battles would topple him.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2007, 04:53:41 PM »
I still would have taken the bastard out with me.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2007, 05:00:17 PM »
You do have the advantage of being made of metal.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2007, 10:14:55 PM »
The point was to make Xerxes bleed. To put a ding in a man who touted himself as an immortal god. To show both the people of Sparta and Xerxes himself that he wasn't a god. Leo knew he wasn't gonna be able to topple the empire with that battle, so he made sure future battles would topple him.

yeah yeah yeah the so called metaphor that we were being pummelled over the head with wasnt lost on me.  I still think to win is ALWAYS more manly than failure. 

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2007, 10:28:21 PM »
You do have the advantage of being made of metal.

Your damn right!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2007, 01:58:08 PM »
Or cheap plastic, depending on whether you get the alternater version or the classic toy. :^)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2007, 02:09:53 PM »
this is no costume friend, I am Sideswipe.

Detective Chimp

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2007, 02:30:38 PM »
300 ISNT the best movie ever.

there are a large handful of people i work with who beleive this is the best movie ever.  help me defend cinema history give me reason they are wrong. 
Very few monkeys in 300. That is unless you count all the hairless gorillas. I don't.