Author Topic: The All-Purpose Professional Wrestling Thread  (Read 177642 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 352
Re: The All-Purpose Professional Wrestling Thread
« Reply #1725 on: March 16, 2020, 07:58:36 PM »
Steve Austin's appearances and attempts at comedy have come across as overdone nostalgia for years, but man do they ever fall flat without a crowd.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1445
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #1726 on: March 16, 2020, 09:49:36 PM »
Haven't watched WWE in awhile, but watching Raw tonight because I'm jonsing for a sports fix and this is as close as I can get without watching a replay of some game (which I likely will start doing soon). Wrestling loses a lot when there isn't a live audience and apparently it's bright and sunny in Florida at 10:30 PM (claimed a wrestler was just arriving "live" when outside entrance was obviously filmed around noon).

They just announced Wrestlemania will be recorded in their 800 or so seat performance centre with no crowd
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 04:42:19 AM by ScottotD »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1727 on: March 18, 2020, 05:42:41 PM »
AEW doing a far better job tonight being crowdless then WWE did with Raw.
Opening segment felt a bit flat, but wrestlers not attempting to pander to the non-existant crowd, just wrestling. And they actually do have sort of a crowd...a handfull of heel wrestlers sitting at ringside acting as a crowd.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1445
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #1728 on: March 18, 2020, 10:11:23 PM »
AEW doing a far better job tonight being crowdless then WWE did with Raw.
Opening segment felt a bit flat, but wrestlers not attempting to pander to the non-existant crowd, just wrestling. And they actually do have sort of a crowd...a handfull of heel wrestlers sitting at ringside acting as a crowd.

AEW's advantage is their roster hasn't had it beaten into them to play to TV, most guys are fresh from the indies and used to smaller buildings and crowds

MJF in the audience was hilarious and even though it was expected was so excited to see Brodie Lee and Matt Hardy (shame they didn't get the crowd reaction they would have though)
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1729 on: March 22, 2020, 09:53:03 AM »
Wrestlemania to be a 2 day show
 and being filmed in advance this week. Other WWE shows (Raw, Smackdown, NXT) also being filmed in advance and filming 2 weeks of shows at a time. Makes sense right now.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1730 on: March 25, 2020, 05:51:27 PM »
Disappointed AEW isn't using the mini crowd of wrestlers at ringside again tonight, but once again digging this show more than RAW on Monday. WWE just hasn't figured out a good way to do crowd-less matches yet. AEW definitely better with a crowd as well, but lack of a crowd doesn't stand out as much overall.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1731 on: March 25, 2020, 06:06:33 PM »
Was hoping last week that Matt Hardy would be revealed as the Dark One and wasn't sure what to think when it was Brodie Lee instead. Brodie Lee sold me tonight. Still early, but better direction then a Matt Hardy reveal might have taken.

Chris Jerricho trying to recruit a drone to join the inner circle and Sammy Guevara singing Judas both hilarious. Matt Hardy broken character loses a lot without an audience and him teleporting around the arena was corny, but forgivable as an attempt to do something different that couldn't be done live with an audience.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:00:19 PM by wihogfan »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1732 on: April 09, 2020, 09:13:53 PM »
Dark Side of the Ring
Documentary TV series about some of the dark things that have happened in the history of pro wrestling. Just watched the 2 episodes on Chris Benoit. Really well done. First Benoit episode focused a lot on the death of Eddie Guerrero and it almost had me in tears. Was mostly new interviews with close friends and family of Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero. Not at all what I was expecting, but a pleasantly surprisingly human take on a story that ended horrifically. Only criticisms would be that it didn't touch on a few of the more idiotic things that got a lot of press after the tragedy happened- like a juiced up John Cena hitting all the talk shows and doing his impersonation of 80s Hulk Hogan by denying steroid use in wrestling.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #1733 on: April 13, 2020, 10:14:48 AM »
My wife & I watched those two episodes as well.  It definitely was well done.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4579
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #1734 on: April 14, 2020, 03:50:46 AM »
WWE deemed an essential service, returns to live televised shows ???
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/13/us/wwe-essential-business-trnd/index.html

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #1735 on: April 16, 2020, 03:46:19 PM »
https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe-announces-talent-releases-anderson-gallows-ec3-rusev-more-308951

WWE cuts a number of wrestlers to save money' allegedly due to COVID-19 (always skeptical about their stated reasoning for anything).

Rusev, Gallows, and Anderson most surprising names on the list to me. Others writers, behind the scenes employees, and a few NXT wrestlers also cut.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1736 on: April 16, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »
Legendary announcer & WWE HOF'ER Howard Finkel passed away today at 69 :(

Offline Charles Castle

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 730
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #1737 on: May 19, 2020, 05:58:40 PM »
Remember when David Arquette was the WCW champ for a week or two? Interesting read.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2020/3/20/21187586/david-arquette-wrestling-interview-documentary
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2442
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #1738 on: May 20, 2020, 10:07:05 AM »
Remember when David Arquette was the WCW champ for a week or two? Interesting read.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2020/3/20/21187586/david-arquette-wrestling-interview-documentary

I'll definitely have to look at this. While at the time I was as dismissive as anyone over his championship win, everything I learned about him years later gave me endless respect for him.

Wish he wouldn't get into the deathmatch side of wrestling though. Some things a better left far behind, and breaking glass in the ring is one of them.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #1739 on: May 20, 2020, 01:01:31 PM »