Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 264196 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2297
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2700 on: July 05, 2018, 12:53:56 PM »
The wheel on my mouse disintegrated, just melted into goo, I guess my fingerprints were too much for the rubber? 

Never realized how much I use the darn wheel.

This makes 2 Microsoft keyboard/mouse combos that have not stood up very well.  So I'm done with Microsoft hardware.

I decided to go with a wired keyboard but still use a wireless mouse.  And since no mice seem to hold up these days I went with a $20 Kensington.  But I  splurged on the keyboard and got a Corsair K70 rapid fire, looked like the best keyboard under $100 (after the instant $20 rebate).  It has a great feel, like the old IBM keyboards I loved to type on.  Cool that they give you textured keys for the WASD keys, and it lights up so no hunting for keys at night.

It's going to take a little while to get used to it, I've been using a curved keyboard for several years now so my fingers are a little off when typing fast.

I also got a new wireless router, just going to set that up now.  Old one still works fine but they have stopped doing firmware updates for it, with all the threats out there not good to have a router that isn't being updated.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1241
« Reply #2701 on: July 05, 2018, 01:26:59 PM »
Nice.  I also have a corsair keyboard with cherry mx keys, but it has a bunch of extra macro keys that I'm luke warm about.  I love the feel of the keys though.  It took about a month to get used to, but I'll never go back to a non-mechanical keyboard.  It feels much more precise, and I always know if I pressed a key or if I didn't.  They are a little louder, sure, but it's not bad. 

I stopped using wireless mice a long time ago because I hate dealing with dead mice.  I use a logitech G502 now.  My favorite part about it is the scroll wheel, and how it can change modes between your normal, tactile, one tick at a time time scrolling, and a free wheeling mode where you can flick it once and it will keep spinning on bearings.  It's quite useful for those incredibly long documents that take forever to scroll through, then I switch back with the press of a button for more precision control. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2702 on: July 05, 2018, 02:43:07 PM »
Got my new router set up, Asus RT68U.  Now I just have to decide if I want to switch this one over to the Merlin firmware.  It is a bit nicer and gets updated more frequently, but the only extra feature I have ever used is the option to save traffic usage to a usb drive, not sure I care about that anymore since I rarely check it these days.  Pretty sure if I change to that firmware I'll have to redo everything I just did to set up everything, so not sure it's worth the time.

Other thing that I really like about the new keyboard is the volume control roller and mute button next to it.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2703 on: July 05, 2018, 04:19:59 PM »
Switching to Merlin firmware on the router was less painful than I thought, didn't have to redo anything, and now I'm pretty much set up the way I was with the old router.

Not sure why they don't make these wall mountable anymore, I had to put a little shelf on the stairwell wall to put the new router where the old one was mounted.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4149
« Reply #2704 on: August 08, 2018, 05:33:41 PM »
Well, the fan on my power supply started making odd noises when first booting up a while ago, so I knew it was time to replace it.  I ordered a replacement of the same one recommended here before (CORSAIR CX Series, CX600, 600 Watt, Non-Modular Power Supply, 80+ Bronze Certified).

Unfortunately, since ordering it, Amazon has three or four times said, "we need more time to get this".  To me, that says that it has been discontinued.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?  I used every one of the connectors on the Corsair for all that I have installed, so it would have to have the same configuration.

I greatly appreciate any help anyone can give, as I have still not recovered from dental crises (three cracked teeth requiring two root canals (one not done yet) and a rebuilding of a tooth (the second root canal will also require a rebuilding of that tooth).  So my brain capacity has been extremely taxed (because I have not been functional enough to eat regularly, I have lost 14 pounds I should not have lost in the last 3 1/2 months, and I am fairly routinely sleeping 12 hours or more each day, with limited capacity while I am awake).

This post being brought to you by:

RVR II
MartyS (Gromit)
d00hickey
Parker_Hylton

and a special grant from:

The Corsair CX600 CP-9020048-US 600W Power Supply!

And readers like you.  Thank you.

Yes, it's installed and working perfectly.  And I hadn't realized just how freaking noisy the previous one was, until this got up and running.  DAMN this is quiet! :)  I am quite pleased with the lack of low-level grating/grinding noise that I guess I'd gotten used to.  The fan has been noisy actually for a couple years now, it just got very noisy with intermittent stopping just a couple days ago, which was when I was able to actually locate the source of the noise, and get a replacement before the power supply itself went belly up (and, as Parker_Hylton pointed out, at that point it likely would have taken other components with it).
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2705 on: August 08, 2018, 07:52:48 PM »
Browser crashed so I lost the stuff I was copying and pasting, comparing the connections on the 600...

Looks like the 600 is no longer made, so that's why they are hard to get or the prices are 2X normal.
The 650 seems to be the closest replacement, should have all the connectors you need plus a few more:

https://smile.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-CP-9020103-NA/dp/B01B72W1VA

It's semi-modular, that just means you plug the individual cables (supplied) into the power supply for what you need to hook up instead of all the cables pre-wired into the supply.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4149
« Reply #2706 on: August 08, 2018, 09:13:47 PM »
Browser crashed so I lost the stuff I was copying and pasting, comparing the connections on the 600...

Looks like the 600 is no longer made, so that's why they are hard to get or the prices are 2X normal.
The 650 seems to be the closest replacement, should have all the connectors you need plus a few more:

https://smile.amazon.com/Corsair-Bronze-Certified-Modular-CP-9020103-NA/dp/B01B72W1VA

It's semi-modular, that just means you plug the individual cables (supplied) into the power supply for what you need to hook up instead of all the cables pre-wired into the supply.

Thank you!  Ordered.

I was getting a bit concerned with the delays, given that the thing could potentially go out at any point in the meantime, possibly taking hardware (e.g. chip, motherboard) with it from possible surge or as things heated up.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects