Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 232840 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2625 on: September 25, 2017, 05:00:36 PM »
I live about 15 minutes from the Microcenter store in PA, that place really has the kid in a candy store feel, computer and networking parts piled up all over, 3D printers, hobby electronics...  And their prices are comparable with online shops.

When support for XP ended I also did the complete rebuild from scratch to move to windows 7, did the online order pick up at the store option, filled the trunk of my car with all this and spend the day building:

I've since upgraded the Video to a 1070 card and the SSD to 1TB.

I absolutely agree about Microcenter.  Felt exactly like a kid in a candy store.  I'd say New Egg is more like a kid with a Christmas toy catalog, and all the kids from school are around telling her which toys are cool and which Barbies they had to RMA. 

Speaking of the stability Muppets was talking about, my new build has proven to be much more stable.  I have yet to have a freeze or a crash that wasn't the direct result of me stress testing during the overclocking process, which is completely normal.  I think I pushed the OC on my last build a little farther than I should have, to the detriment of overall stability.

Offline LucasM

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
« Reply #2626 on: September 25, 2017, 06:06:02 PM »
The button I'm talking about would be on the keyboard.  But maybe it's too old.

Is there and "fn" key?  If so there will be some extra icons on certain keys to do stuff like change fonts, volume, screen brightness, and one to cycle between the 3 modes I mentioned before.  The icons are normally the same color as the "fn".

If no function key then you are stuck using windows commands to activate the VGA port, but if the laptop display is dead there is no way to do that.

If it flickered like you said the cold cathode lamp that lights up the display probably burned out, that's what usually dies on old laptop displays.
Oh, and the VGA input on the TV is RGB, so that is the one to use.

Thank you.  There was an Fn key, which was semi-invisible because the text color was so close to the key color it looked like some of the fixed plastic pieces between some of the keys.

And, because I'd thought that the RGB was for DVD video input (I had a DVD changer with separate RG&B outputs, and the TV manual shows such things feeding into the RGB RCA inputs), it didn't cross my mind to try that.

I set the TV for the RGB, clicked the Fn key once, and voila! I have a laptop I can use for some of the limited things I've used it for.

Thank you MartyS, Pastor of Muppets, and others who had input!
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, read this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2627 on: September 25, 2017, 06:43:39 PM »
Good to hear you got it working.

And, because I'd thought that the RGB was for DVD video input (I had a DVD changer with separate RG&B outputs, and the TV manual shows such things feeding into the RGB RCA inputs), it didn't cross my mind to try that.

It does get confusing, component video is RGB also but has the sync pulses mixed in, so they use other letters like Y and P, the VGA connector uses 5 of the connections to transmit R G B plus 2 for sync pulses.

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #2628 on: September 26, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
I'm thinking of getting one of those printers that prints to CD/DVD and redoing all my Rifftrax projects on it.  Also want to do this with the MST3K episodes that will not come to DVD.  Until now I have just written the name on to the disc with a sharpie.  It works but after printing out a color cover in a thinpak case, it feels so... incomplete.  Like it is CLOSE to being professional but no cigar.

Does anyone have any experience with these?  Does it work well?  How much ink do you think I'd need for the current library of 305 Rifftrax?
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2629 on: September 26, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »
Somewhere I still have the device for centering paper labels on CDs/DVDs, haven't printed full color labels for discs since the 90s, but the stick on circular labels worked well.

Don't you need to buy special printable discs for those printers to work?  Or did you already burn the episodes onto those type discs?

As for ink, that can vary so much depending on quality settings and image type.  The area of a disc is about the same as a 3x5 card, so look up how many 3x5 inch pictures your printer could print on a set of ink cartridges.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2630 on: September 26, 2017, 04:18:22 PM »
Somewhere I still have the device for centering paper labels on CDs/DVDs, haven't printed full color labels for discs since the 90s, but the stick on circular labels worked well.

Don't you need to buy special printable discs for those printers to work?  Or did you already burn the episodes onto those type discs?

As for ink, that can vary so much depending on quality settings and image type.  The area of a disc is about the same as a 3x5 card, so look up how many 3x5 inch pictures your printer could print on a set of ink cartridges.

Nope, I'd have to buy new discs and spend a week burning them on to new discs.

I actually looked this up after making the last post.  From the printer I was looking at (Canon Office Products IP7220 Wireless Color Photo Printer), a photographer said he can get about 300 5x7 photos off one set of cartridges.  So I guess I'd be good with the included cartridges and one additional set.

I tried stick on labels once, with the device that helps center them.  It didn't work out so great.  It was still hard to get them centered and even enough that there weren't bulges and the label was smooth.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2631 on: October 02, 2017, 04:24:52 AM »
Pulled the trigger on this and got the process started.  I ordered the Canon printer I mentioned in the previous post, 350 printable DVD-R discs*, an extra set of ink cartridges, and a 400 disc wallet to hold the old discs (it felt wrong to throw them away, so maybe I'll keep them as an off-site backup).  I am also using the 4 Tb hard drive discussed earlier to hold the ISO images.  All together, project is gonna cost about $300.

I downloaded the free cover printing software a few days ago and spent a bunch of time preparing the cover files (in some special format they call "el8").  I remember Piobman, who provided so many excellent DVD covers, also included disc labels, so I downloaded those.  Still leaves about 100 additional labels I'll have to design.  I'm still trying to figure out how to transform the posters that Rifftrax uses into labels.  A straight up copy that uses them as the label background cuts off the title text.

*I feel like I should have ordered 400 in order to have more room for error and also for future projects.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2632 on: October 02, 2017, 07:34:10 AM »
*I feel like I should have ordered 400 in order to have more room for error and also for future projects.

Just print the image on plain paper as a test.  And use one of the clear filler discs that they put on the ends of a spindle to check how the image lines up with the printable disc area.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2633 on: October 02, 2017, 07:53:29 AM »

Just print the image on plain paper as a test.  And use one of the clear filler discs that they put on the ends of a spindle to check how the image lines up with the printable disc area.

The printing software gives you a preview.  By error I meant more like I burn the wrong ISO to a disc, or there's some kind of problem burning it.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #2634 on: October 03, 2017, 02:41:57 PM »
Pulled the trigger on this and got the process started.  I ordered the Canon printer I mentioned in the previous post, 350 printable DVD-R discs*, an extra set of ink cartridges, and a 400 disc wallet to hold the old discs (it felt wrong to throw them away, so maybe I'll keep them as an off-site backup).  I am also using the 4 Tb hard drive discussed earlier to hold the ISO images.  All together, project is gonna cost about $300.

I downloaded the free cover printing software a few days ago and spent a bunch of time preparing the cover files (in some special format they call "el8").  I remember Piobman, who provided so many excellent DVD covers, also included disc labels, so I downloaded those.  Still leaves about 100 additional labels I'll have to design.  I'm still trying to figure out how to transform the posters that Rifftrax uses into labels.  A straight up copy that uses them as the label background cuts off the title text.

Converting covers to labels is always tricky when it comes to the title text. There are many cases that it just won't be possible unless you create the text yourself (which is what I did). If you wanted to make life easy on yourself, I would just create a banner to cover the original text and create your own title over the top of that.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2635 on: October 03, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »
Converting covers to labels is always tricky when it comes to the title text. There are many cases that it just won't be possible unless you create the text yourself (which is what I did). If you wanted to make life easy on yourself, I would just create a banner to cover the original text and create your own title over the top of that.

I'm noticing that.  I just use the Rifftrax posters for the fronts of my covers, and the back is the text from the track's description, with the logo on top.  The RT posters are of varying suitability for labels.  When the title is on top, I can't really get ALL of it in the cover, but usually there's only a little bit cut off.  When the title is in the middle or the bottom, I get a lot of cases of the disc hole punching a hole in the middle of it.  Mostly I'm okay with it, but there have been a few especially bad ones (Dreamscape and Flight to Mars) where so much of the title got cut off that I did just bite the bullet and throw some text in.

I'm terrible at matching up the fonts.  I just used the Rifftrax font (LaffRiot NF).  The result doesn't really look that good.

I'm considering for some of these just cropping part of the image and leaving it text free.  I'll recognize the disc well enough from the images, plus it's inside a case.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2636 on: October 03, 2017, 07:10:21 PM »
I almost finished designing the labels.  It took me less time than I expected.  In some cases I just stole the DVD artwork for the real DVD.  I just have to design the labels for Shorts volume 11 - 22 and the design phase is done.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #2637 on: October 03, 2017, 08:21:13 PM »

I'm noticing that.  I just use the Rifftrax posters for the fronts of my covers, and the back is the text from the track's description, with the logo on top.  The RT posters are of varying suitability for labels.  When the title is on top, I can't really get ALL of it in the cover, but usually there's only a little bit cut off.  When the title is in the middle or the bottom, I get a lot of cases of the disc hole punching a hole in the middle of it.  Mostly I'm okay with it, but there have been a few especially bad ones (Dreamscape and Flight to Mars) where so much of the title got cut off that I did just bite the bullet and throw some text in.

I'm terrible at matching up the fonts.  I just used the Rifftrax font (LaffRiot NF).  The result doesn't really look that good.

I'm considering for some of these just cropping part of the image and leaving it text free.  I'll recognize the disc well enough from the images, plus it's inside a case.

I have done that too. Sometimes you just give up and expand past the title so you can add your own title.

If your trying to match fonts... check this site out. https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

It works like magic! I've considered jumping back into making some covers... I just don't think there is a need for full covers anymore though. I think most people have gone with digital by now since there are so many! I'm thinking of just creating posters and disc labels (the back cover portion was the most time consuming and 'unfun' part of it anyways).

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2638 on: October 04, 2017, 03:53:29 AM »
It works like magic! I've considered jumping back into making some covers... I just don't think there is a need for full covers anymore though. I think most people have gone with digital by now since there are so many! I'm thinking of just creating posters and disc labels (the back cover portion was the most time consuming and 'unfun' part of it anyways).

I'll have to try that site on my next menu.

You're probably right.  The focus on pre-synced VOD products has probably largely displaced DVDs for all but the most hardcore customers.  Reauthoring makes the syncing process easier by merging it onto a DVD so you don't have to do that every time you want to watch.  With a VOD you don't gain much by putting it onto a DVD, and Rifftrax provides burnable ISO images anyway.

Besides, you'd have a pretty huge backlog to get through if you got back into it.  If you do, I'd stick with just the MP3 only titles.  I could really use a better cover for Rogue One and The Force Awakens.  Mine don't mesh so well with the style your other 6 Star Wars covers do.

Offline Piobman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Riff Cover Art
« Reply #2639 on: October 13, 2017, 03:37:37 PM »

You're probably right.  The focus on pre-synced VOD products has probably largely displaced DVDs for all but the most hardcore customers.  Reauthoring makes the syncing process easier by merging it onto a DVD so you don't have to do that every time you want to watch.  With a VOD you don't gain much by putting it onto a DVD, and Rifftrax provides burnable ISO images anyway.

Besides, you'd have a pretty huge backlog to get through if you got back into it.  If you do, I'd stick with just the MP3 only titles.  I could really use a better cover for Rogue One and The Force Awakens.  Mine don't mesh so well with the style your other 6 Star Wars covers do.

You have a good point about mp3 riffs. I haven't honestly watched a lot of rifftrax as of late... I've been digging deep into the bad movie bin and have been watching them unriffed. I personally only prefer watching riffed movies of the hollywood variety since those are usually pretty mundane. Truly bad movies (ie-samurai cop) really doesn't need a riff. As they moved towards vods of old bad movies they kinda lost me. I might jump back into the the mp3 only movies again though. I'm curious about the star wars movies they did! I'm sure I could drum up some covers pretty quick if I'm not making full blown covers in two different sizes.