Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 288208 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4486
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2430 on: December 08, 2015, 01:39:02 PM »
This post being brought to you by:

RVR II
MartyS (Gromit)
d00hickey
Parker_Hylton

and a special grant from:

The Corsair CX600 CP-9020048-US 600W Power Supply!

And readers like you.  Thank you.

Yes, it's installed and working perfectly.  And I hadn't realized just how freaking noisy the previous one was, until this got up and running.  DAMN this is quiet! :)  I am quite pleased with the lack of low-level grating/grinding noise that I guess I'd gotten used to.  The fan has been noisy actually for a couple years now, it just got very noisy with intermittent stopping just a couple days ago, which was when I was able to actually locate the source of the noise, and get a replacement before the power supply itself went belly up (and, as Parker_Hylton pointed out, at that point it likely would have taken other components with it).

I missed the part of the post that the slide apart connectors were already figured out, so what I wrote isn't needed...
Thank you, MartyS (for what you'd written that - by the time I'd finished this post was no longer there.  The motherboard was in the 24 pin configuration, but luckily the socket was also a 24 pin.  But knowing that some of the plugs slide apart helped keep me from brief anxiety when the plug slipped apart into the 20+4 configuration, as I just realized the difference and slid them back together to fit the motherboard.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:40:38 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2529
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2431 on: December 08, 2015, 01:47:10 PM »
Quieter sure is nicer when it comes to computer fans.

The larger fans they use on the power supplies now are much quieter than the older ones, the PC I built last year has huge fans on the case and they make no noise at all since they run slower.  And the liquid cooling is so efficient the fan on the radiator runs at low speed almost all the time.  The only noise I ever hear from the PC is when a game maxes out the graphics card and that fan goes to 100%.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2432 on: December 08, 2015, 02:40:48 PM »
Fantastic!  I love it when a plan comes together...*chomps contentedly on cigar*

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4486
« Reply #2433 on: December 08, 2015, 07:48:46 PM »

The larger fans they use on the power supplies now are much quieter than the older ones, the PC I built last year has huge fans on the case and they make no noise at all since they run slower.

Only one problem with this (that I'll get used to in short order, most likely): I've been used to the noise telling me that the fan was working for so long, that I think I'll have my doubts that the computer won't fry itself because with the new found silence I'll be thinking the fan stopped (like the other power supply's finally did). ;D
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #2434 on: December 09, 2015, 08:48:17 AM »

The larger fans they use on the power supplies now are much quieter than the older ones, the PC I built last year has huge fans on the case and they make no noise at all since they run slower.

Only one problem with this (that I'll get used to in short order, most likely): I've been used to the noise telling me that the fan was working for so long, that I think I'll have my doubts that the computer won't fry itself because with the new found silence I'll be thinking the fan stopped (like the other power supply's finally did). ;D
Well, you should have several years with that brand new power supply.  Hopefully, you'll smell it going out.  That's usually a good indicator that the fans have stopped and things are heating up. 

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #2435 on: December 16, 2015, 04:08:12 PM »
Recently I have been using Steam in home streaming to stream games from my wired PC to my wifi laptop. The video and latency are phenomenal for what I want to do but for some reason I get bad crackling and skipping to the audio. I have been fussing about with all the settings I can think of, and scouring the web for useful help to no avail.

If any of you chaps have any bright ideas let me know.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #2436 on: December 17, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
Recently I have been using Steam in home streaming to stream games from my wired PC to my wifi laptop. The video and latency are phenomenal for what I want to do but for some reason I get bad crackling and skipping to the audio. I have been fussing about with all the settings I can think of, and scouring the web for useful help to no avail.

Laptop's not an HP with "touch sensitive" audio adjust at the top of the keyboard is it? 

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #2437 on: December 17, 2015, 06:22:15 PM »

Laptop's not an HP with "touch sensitive" audio adjust at the top of the keyboard is it?

Nope it's an Acer.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #2438 on: December 18, 2015, 02:17:26 PM »
Well, I see a four-page discussion here:  https://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/540731691035093258/

Skipped through, reading now and then...sounds like the exact issue, but I don't see a guaranteed "this is how you fix for everybody" solution...

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #2439 on: December 18, 2015, 03:42:43 PM »
Well, I see a four-page discussion here:  https://steamcommunity.com/groups/homestream/discussions/0/540731691035093258/

Skipped through, reading now and then...sounds like the exact issue, but I don't see a guaranteed "this is how you fix for everybody" solution...

Thanks for the replies. I ended up fixing the issue but I'm not certain how. I reinstalled my audio drivers on the laptop, opted into the beta program on both systems, ran Steam as administrator on both systems and vola it works.

It works surprisingly well. I played Burnout Paradise and Just Cause 3 on my crappy old laptop while lying in bed. This is great because I have serious back problems and my job sometimes involves manual labor. Sometimes when I get home from work I can't do anything but lay down because I'm in so much pain.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #2440 on: December 22, 2015, 10:42:09 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I ended up fixing the issue but I'm not certain how. I reinstalled my audio drivers on the laptop, opted into the beta program on both systems, ran Steam as administrator on both systems and vola it works.

It works surprisingly well. I played Burnout Paradise and Just Cause 3 on my crappy old laptop while lying in bed. This is great because I have serious back problems and my job sometimes involves manual labor. Sometimes when I get home from work I can't do anything but lay down because I'm in so much pain.
Grats on the fix.  I hear you on the pain.  I ruptured two discs in my neck eight years ago.  I gained 70 pounds in three years.  I remember I went to bed thinking I wasn't too hurt and I would just sleep it off and waking up in so much pain that I had to call my roommate to come get me because I couldn't walk up the stairs to get him.  I had to give up warehouse, mill work and farm work.  Just couldn't do it anymore.  Had the will but not the pain-resistance.  Good part is now I have a second degree now and (when I find work) can mostly get sit-down type stuff.

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #2441 on: January 06, 2016, 02:00:18 PM »
Was considering preordering an Oculus Rift today, but I checked the store and it's over $700 with shipping and tax. I really thought they would bring it out for under $500. I'm not completely apposed to spending that much on VR but no way in hell for an untested pre order. I'll just wait until summer to see some of the reviews. I have some friends the bought Dev Kits and they'll get the free upgrade so I can test theirs.

Offline Parker_Hylton

• Big Montana
« Reply #2442 on: January 06, 2016, 03:12:45 PM »
Was considering preordering an Oculus Rift today, but I checked the store and it's over $700 with shipping and tax. I really thought they would bring it out for under $500. I'm not completely apposed to spending that much on VR but no way in hell for an untested pre order. I'll just wait until summer to see some of the reviews. I have some friends the bought Dev Kits and they'll get the free upgrade so I can test theirs.
Why don't you just buy one of those cardboard OccRift headband dealies.  That's what most of my developer friends use, the ones that don't have industry bucks anyway...

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2443 on: January 06, 2016, 05:14:26 PM »
I took a chance and ordered an Intel dual band wireless-AC 7260 card for my laptop.
A chance because half of the lists of HP laptops that have whitelist issues had my model listed, but I'd also seen lots of reports that it didn't have a whitelist issue....

And it turns out it doesn't, the card works perfectly, so I don't have to use a USB adapter anymore to access my 5GHz network, and the new card uses less power.

They had so much thread lock on the tiny screws holding in the card I had a heck of a time removing the darn thing.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2444 on: January 22, 2016, 08:08:26 PM »
Even thought I didn't know I was going to get a bluetooth speaker before upgrading the wifi card in my laptop the cool thing is that card also upgraded the bluetooth to 4.0 so I have better stereo sound and the control buttons on the speaker work the same as connecting it to my phone or tablet.

Still have to upgrade the drive to an SSD, every month I put it off the 500GB ones seem drop $10 so procrastinating is saving money...