Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 232846 times)

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 10:00:54 AM »
I'm my own Tech support especially during Tax Season.. ;D
I need to keep all mine up and running, as efficient as possible so as to minimize the down time, and Rake in the Money! :D :D

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 01:27:37 PM »
I assume you're some kind of certified accountant or consultant then?
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 01:43:24 PM »
I assume you're some kind of certified accountant or consultant then?
I am (my business is) a Certifying Acceptance Agent of the Internal Revenue Service ( the only ones in Rock Hill, SC.: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96883,00.html ) specializing in Latino income taxes for those working with invalid Social Security Numbers, where Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (ITIN's) are assigned by the IRS through their Form W-7 and inturn documents them (see more at my website.. http://www.antunez-vanremmen-si.org/ ). We're under special contract with the IRS specifically for their unique income tax preparation. And Yes; Business is Good!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 02:52:59 PM by RVR II »

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 01:47:51 PM »
That's cool. I'm actually about to enroll in the CGA program to couple with my existing computer training / experience (I'm planning to get involved in something like financial software development once I'm done with the certification process).
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 01:50:21 PM »
That's cool. I'm actually about to enroll in the CGA program to couple with my existing computer training / experience (I'm planning to get involved in something like financial software development once I'm done with the certification process).
Nice! Maybe you could simplify Quick Books a little.. :D :D

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked:
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 02:45:54 PM »
I used to build my own PCs and was starting to case mod a little (very lamely but eh)...but then I decided I like laptops better and now I just have a Dell.

I know, I suck.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2007, 02:48:29 PM »
I used to build my own PCs and was starting to case mod a little (very lamely but eh)...but then I decided I like laptops better and now I just have a Dell.

I know, I suck.
A DELL?! :gouge:
(just payback for the 'FrontPage' harassment.. :D :D)

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2007, 06:45:01 PM »
Dells are still better than Frontpage  ;)

I don't care what anyone says, Dell has excellent tech support.  The other day I called because I accidentally broke my CD-Rom (note to self: not a cupholder. Actually it was much dumber than that.  I had ejected the drive and bent over the edge of my couch to get a new CD and tipped the PC and it broke in half because of the way it fell...oops) and I had it the next day at 8:00 am.  You can say a lot about Dell using cheap hardware and such, but I don't think I'd buy from anyone else because of service like that.  I had a Sony before this one and they sucked.  They had my computer for a month once, sent it back UNFIXED (they wouldn't just send a part...I begged them to just send the part.  It was a simple problem with the network card) and then kept it another month and still didn't fix it.  WTF?!   I just bought a new card and said screw it.  They may use better hardware but no way would I ever buy from them again.

It's a lot of fun to build your own PC, I admit that.  However, it's pretty time consuming.  It's a whole lot easier, even if less satisfying, to buy one.  Although, my first step is always to format the drive and set it up from scratch.  It was easier to build my own when my job involved futzing around with computers all day :)

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2007, 06:58:47 PM »
HUH ???
You weren't talking to someone in India?!
With 7 computers, it's good to be able to pull a part from another if needed, and troubleshoot on yet another if one decides to 'evolve' a mind of it's own.. (it's happened  :speechless:)

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2007, 07:05:36 PM »
I was talking to someone in India, lol, but if you know what you need they normally don't argue with you.  They also have an email and "online chat" so you don't have to talk to anyone at all.  Again, if you said, "This happened. I need this." and you act like you know what you're talking about, they just send out the part.

I used to do that RVR but it's harder with laptops.  My friend had a Toshiba who's harddrive was fried and Toshiba said the warranty didn't cover it.  I have a whole closet full of harddrives/drives/cards/etc. from old computers, laptops, computer show leftovers, etc...none of them were compatible.  Whereas, with my desktops, I can more or less go to a computer show and find something compatible at any table.

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2007, 07:15:45 PM »
I had the 'Great Fortune' of talking to Dell's tech support for my parents New computer (2 years ago when it was new) for something.. a memory upgrade I think, and I swear I thought I was going to be asked if I wanted a Slurpy too..

:D I've got a cabinet full of misc hard parts as well (hard drives, motherboards, memory sticks, video cards, and a sh*t load of various cables)..
Even built a 'scrap' computer from spare parts specifically for removing viruses from other people's computers (well.. friends and family mostly :grr:)

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2007, 07:41:18 PM »
Dells are much better than a lot of the other OEM computers out there (Compaq, HP, eMachines, to name just a few). If I HAD to buy a pre-built OEM system, I would suggest either Dell or Acer for a fair combination of cost and quality (my new machine is an Acer, because it was an insurance replacement and I did not have the option to build it myself). But obviously, as a nerd, I highly recommend building your own system or paying your friendly neighborhood nerd a pizza and a six pack to build yours for you... you can get it for the same price (or less, thanks to overstock.com, pricewatch.com, or tiger-direct.com), and the quality will usually be 2-3 times better than any OEM machine, and it won't have shitty no-name or refurbished parts in it.

I had a friend when I lived in Oregon, who worked for Intel. The stuff he did with computers was crazy-scary. His favourite "trick" to do when he had friends coming over for a LAN party and one of them didn't have a machine they could bring was to build a new computer on the spot. He'd swing in to the local part store, grab a motherboard, hard drive, CPU, graphics card, memory, and all the trimmings - minus a case. Then he'd go home, take the motherboard out of the box, put it on top of the box, and connect everything up. I can think of at least 5 times I went over to his house to see one of his "caseless machines" up and running. Talk about disposable income...

Another time, he built this creepy looking airtight plastic case, surrounded by a second airtight plastic case, with a tube for all of the wires to come out of. He'd stick his computer in the inside case, hook it up, seal it, then fill the outside case with ice water and hook a cooling unit up to it. He claimed he managed to get an AMD chipset reliably overclocked to 2.0 GHz in this setup, back when the 1.1 GHz P3 chips were just brand new.

I wish I had some pictures of the crazy stuff he did with computers, but back when I knew him, "normal" people didn't have digital cameras... tragic.

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2007, 07:54:46 PM »
Well, my parents seem pretty satisfied with their $500 Dell desktop.. When their not calling me with a problem, Im Happy!

I gave my father my old Compaq Armada 700 laptop that I built a couple years back with a 1gb Pentium 4 processor, 1/2 gig SODIMM RAM, an internal DVD/CD burner, a 60Gig HD, and 3 extra Big @$$ Batteries, along with a flatbed scanner, a portable HP printer, and a carrying case for it all; the whole setup, as a retirement gift back in January, and he uses it more than the Dell. My Mother has basically taken over the Dell as her own anyway :D :D That truely is funny to watch sometimes.. "Stay Away from My Computer!!" :scared:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:18:20 PM by RVR II »

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2007, 07:58:09 PM »
ill second AmandaGal on Dell's customer service.  I recently(actually about a week ago) i was running all my routine update scans, and i got a notice to update my BIOS.  Well, i downloaded the update, and the program proceeded to flash the BIOS, and....................nothing.  The computer crashed, and when i restarted, low and behold, it completely erased the BIOS.  After about three hours on the phone, they told me that they didn't  know how that could have happened, but within 3 days, they sent a Technician with a brand new motherboard and processor, and at no cost to me.  Its things like that that keep people coming back.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked:
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 04:23:25 AM »
Wow... that really is good service.

That's almost as good as we used to be at Micron (anyone remember Micron? One of the first big name mail order computer companies). We had an entire division devoted to tech support, and a completely separate division related to warranty repair and replacement. I was on the tech support side, so I've got some weird and crazy stories about computers not working right... but you also used to hear some pretty weird stories from the warranty division, too.