Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 323493 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4430
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2760 on: February 14, 2020, 08:30:08 AM »
Hmm. I'll give that a try and see what happens..
Using these big bulky (& indestructible) Dell USB wired keyboards is cumbersome but are a good fallback when something like this happens.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2915
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2761 on: February 14, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »
Just thought of something else that might have happened, if you set up encryption on the keyboard connections the windows update may have forgotten that, so you'll have to do some kind of reset on the keyboards to get the keyboard back to factory default.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2762 on: February 14, 2020, 01:27:09 PM »
So far no go.. :-[
They were cheap keyboards I bought from Amazon. Might look into actual Microsoft keyboards but for now I'll just have to continue to use these old Dell keyboards.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2763 on: February 14, 2020, 02:58:39 PM »
So far no go.. :-[
They were cheap keyboards I bought from Amazon. Might look into actual Microsoft keyboards but for now I'll just have to continue to use these old Dell keyboards.

Weird that both would die at the same time...

I got sick of even mid range keyboards wearing out either mechanically or aesthetically, so several years ago got a mid range ($100) Corsair gaming keyboard and that thing still works and looks brand new.  And it has LEDs in the keys so it will never have the issue of the letters rubbing off the keys...

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2764 on: February 14, 2020, 03:02:35 PM »
Yeah the back lit keywords are nice.
Since I need 2 keywords, $100 a piece might be a bit much for me  :-\

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2765 on: February 14, 2020, 03:13:27 PM »

Looks like the cheapest Corsair keyboard is the K55 at about $50.

One more thing to try, flip the on/off switches on the keyboards a few times, long shot but no harm trying.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2766 on: February 14, 2020, 03:20:06 PM »

One more thing to try, flip the on/off switches on the keyboards a few times, long shot but no harm trying.
Still nothing.
Oh well, guess I'll remove the batteries and store them for a while to see if by chance a Microsoft update brings them back to life otherwise I'll just have to toss them.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1701
« Reply #2767 on: February 14, 2020, 07:30:38 PM »
Not the advice you’re looking for, but I have an older Corsair mechanical keyboard that has lasted me 7 years (holy shit, just looked that up. It has really been 7 years?  Time can go so quickly depending on how you look at it). And it works just as well as when I bought it. I have no reason to believe it won’t last me another 7 years at least.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2768 on: February 23, 2020, 09:12:31 AM »
Was noticing bad ghosting when moving around in games, just barely noticeable in Witcher 3 but today I went to try the latest update to Subnautica Below Zero and it was horrible.  Trying out various graphics settings didn't help, then I remembered a little while back I turned on g-sync.  Turned off g-sync and things are back to looking awesome.

My 144Hz monitor is freesync, newer Nvidia drivers allow g-sync to work on freesync monitors but I guess all the kinks haven't been worked out...

Edit: Did some research and not all freesync monitors can handle g-sync.  But I did find some tips and turning the overdrive down on mine got rid of the ghosting, seems that g-sync can make some monitors overdrive too much and cause pixel overshoot.  Not sure I'll leave g-sync turned on now or not, after messing around with this I don't see any advantage to it on my system.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:15:43 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2769 on: February 23, 2020, 01:08:06 PM »
Was noticing bad ghosting when moving around in games, just barely noticeable in Witcher 3 but today I went to try the latest update to Subnautica Below Zero and it was horrible.  Trying out various graphics settings didn't help, then I remembered a little while back I turned on g-sync.  Turned off g-sync and things are back to looking awesome.

My 144Hz monitor is freesync, newer Nvidia drivers allow g-sync to work on freesync monitors but I guess all the kinks haven't been worked out...

Edit: Did some research and not all freesync monitors can handle g-sync.  But I did find some tips and turning the overdrive down on mine got rid of the ghosting, seems that g-sync can make some monitors overdrive too much and cause pixel overshoot.  Not sure I'll leave g-sync turned on now or not, after messing around with this I don't see any advantage to it on my system.

Interesting. I got a new monitor recently that has freesync and I was excited to use that with my nvidia GPU. Not the reason I bought the monitor, but I still wanted to try it out. Turns out that even though the specs on my titan GPU surpass the requirements and does support g sync monitors, it doesn’t support freesync monitors. I didn’t realize it was GPU specific. Ohhhh well.

It also made me briefly consider getting a new GPU, as the last time I updated my PC I replaced everything but my titan, which is nearly 5 years old now. But then I calmed down and remembered I’ve been playing mostly just pixel art games like stardew valley, and should be in no rush to upgrade until a game comes along that will for me to.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2770 on: February 23, 2020, 01:23:32 PM »
Interesting. I got a new monitor recently that has freesync and I was excited to use that with my nvidia GPU. Not the reason I bought the monitor, but I still wanted to try it out. Turns out that even though the specs on my titan GPU surpass the requirements and does support g sync monitors, it doesn’t support freesync monitors. I didn’t realize it was GPU specific. Ohhhh well.

I thought any g-sync GPU would work, as they do it all with the driver?

You need fairly recent Nvidia drivers, and the Nvidia control panel, and turning on g-sync the first time requires an extra step that is not obvious, if the monitor isn't on Nvidia's list of compatible monitors you have to check the box that says "enable settings for the selected display model".

Are you running over display port or HDMI?  Some of this stuff only works with certain types of connections.  When I got my new monitor I went to display port because to use the thing to it's fullest would require 2 HDMI cables...

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2771 on: February 23, 2020, 05:59:31 PM »

I thought any g-sync GPU would work, as they do it all with the driver?

You need fairly recent Nvidia drivers, and the Nvidia control panel, and turning on g-sync the first time requires an extra step that is not obvious, if the monitor isn't on Nvidia's list of compatible monitors you have to check the box that says "enable settings for the selected display model".

Are you running over display port or HDMI?  Some of this stuff only works with certain types of connections.  When I got my new monitor I went to display port because to use the thing to it's fullest would require 2 HDMI cables...

HDMI. I have to use HDMI so that Amazon Prime will stream in 1080, otherwise it only streams in SD. I guess there are pirating protections built into HDMI so it’s picky about it. Also, annoyingly enough, I have a 4K monitor now but my GPU and CPU and not quite the newest version, so nothing will stream in 4K, despite my hardware well exceeding the raw processing power needed.

But yeah, I looked it up on NVIDAs website and my GPU is listed as supporting G sync but not free sync. It doesn’t even give me a g sync option in the nvidia control panel for that reason.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2772 on: February 23, 2020, 09:04:41 PM »
I stream Amazon at 1080p over display port without any problems, all versions of display port are supposed to support HDCP.

I guess most streaming sites don't bother with 1440p, best I get when streaming on my PC is 1080p streams.

Don't know why they put CPU limitations on 4K streaming, if a little stick can do it pretty much any CPU+GPU on a PC should be fine...

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2773 on: February 24, 2020, 09:38:23 AM »
I stream Amazon at 1080p over display port without any problems, all versions of display port are supposed to support HDCP.

I guess most streaming sites don't bother with 1440p, best I get when streaming on my PC is 1080p streams.

Don't know why they put CPU limitations on 4K streaming, if a little stick can do it pretty much any CPU+GPU on a PC should be fine...

Excuse me, to clarify, my older monitor is DVI only, and therefore wouldn't stream amazon at anything other than SD.  Display Port probably works fine, as you said, but I doubt it's the root of my g-sync problem.

And yes, the limitations seem stupid considering my machine can totally handle 4K.  I hear that if you have a newer GPU then that bypasses the CPU requirement for 4K streaming, but again, my GPU is technically too old.  All a bunch of silliness. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 09:41:38 AM by Variety of Cells »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2774 on: February 25, 2020, 07:29:06 PM »
From the RRRRRARRRRRGH thead..
My ISP raised my monthly bill $5 per month yet again and they offered me a free upgrade on my modem to a 1000Mbps model when I bitched & complained about the mediocre speeds I've been paying for over the years.. It's an Arris DG3450.
Did a speed test and turns out my TP-Link TL-R860 8-port switch is limiting my speeds to 100Mbps (even though SpeedTest.Net was only showing less than 50Mbps download speeds) so I bought a TL-SG108 to replace it:
https://www.newegg.com/tp-link-tl-sg108-8-x-rj45/p/N82E16833704173?Item=N82E16833704173
It'll be here by the end of the week but I'm still skeptical that my speeds will increase to the 5 x 250Mbps package I'm currently on and am now paying $65/month for :-\