Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 324200 times)

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2007, 10:19:35 AM »
I'd stick with XP. My advice also would be to get one of the newer Intel Core 2 Duo processors (ie. E6750) they seem to be quick a bit quicker than what AMD is offering at the moment. Hopefully AMD will pull themselves up by their bootstraps and start kicking Intel's ass like they used too.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2007, 10:19:52 AM »
I know this is sacreligious, but I kinda like Vista.  Office '07 is nice too (you can run that on XP).  The integrated search is great and now I find that when I'm using XP, I miss it.  And the other new features . . .

Ok, so that's the only great feature I can name, but it really is handy if you have a ton of files and programs.  On the flipside, I don't think Vista is that different from XP, so I wouldn't recommend upgrading just because, but if you're going to have a fast new system you might as well.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4445
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2007, 10:35:23 AM »
XP pro! Seriously.. I'd hold off on Vista till later in 08 or into 09. I'd let MicroSoft work out the bugs 1st before going to Vista.
XP is very stable, and pretty universal when it comes to various processors out there.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2007, 05:01:50 PM »
I'd say XP Pro. It's insanely stable, and it's handled everything I've ever thrown at it in terms of driver compatibility.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »
Oh fine.  If you guys are going to be all logical. ;)

Although, I do agree with all the XP support.  I just don't think Vista is the beast it's been made out to be.  Of course XP is going to be more stable though.  It's been around for a while.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline mike5150

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 312
  • I used to be cool dag nabbit!
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2007, 05:24:50 PM »
I'm not sure if there's a thread devoted to your computer(s), so here one is.

The last relic of my 1st computer I had finally died last night after 7 years.. My 19" Gateway CRT Monitor.
I Just ordered a Nice 22" wide screen LCD monitor through the Price Watch ( http://www.pricewatch.com/ ) website this morning to replace it - I Love This Site.
I don't know why it caused me to think of creating this thread, as I now have a total of 7 computers (including an 8 camera, 500gb video storage surveillance computer system) that I built over the years, all networked on an 8 port wired (no Wireless option) LinkSys router, and all run my small business. I have upgraded all of them recently (adding memory, adding bigger hard drives, adding/replacing multiple DVD burners, to replacing the entire motherboard, processor & memory combo in 1 unit so far.). I even started dreaming of getting a Quad 4 Duo 2 processor, w/ motherboard, and 3gb memory combo for $700 but I just don't need it unless one of them has a catastrophic hardware failure.

I used to be into hot rods and muscle cars back in the 80's & through the 90's but now I'm into 'sooping up' computers :D

Post your experiences, new purchases, upgrades, pics (if you've got them), and more.
I am by no means an expert, but sharing your knowledge can help us all in this "Age of the Internet"!

Here's one that I built back in Feb. 2004 when we got 18" of snow here in our area. This is probably my favorite. Named 'light show' as it is completely luminescent with LED's. It now has 6 hard drives totaling 2 Terra bites of storage. When I'm online, this is usually the computer I'm using..

that is suweet..............can   I    have  it? :-*

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2007, 05:31:45 PM »
 :D :D :D Thanks!
It's a bit dirty these days.. I need to upgrade the motherboard, processor, and memory something fierce! (It's going on 4 years old)
That'll be my project for 08. ;D

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
Well, that computer shown at the beginning of this thread (and above also) ,is about to get a Serious Hardware Upgrade this weekend:

The parts just arrived today from NewEgg!
They are as follows:

ASUS P5KC LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Motherboard

Intel Core2 Duo E6850 3.0GHZ processor

A Thermaltake CL-P0401 110mm Full-Range Fan CPU Cooler (This thing Is HUGE!)

3GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066 Dual Channel memory (2 X 1GB, and 2 X 512 MB)

and a ATI All-In-Wonder X1900 256MB GDDR3 PCIe video card I bought on Ebay

along with 2 SATA Lite-On DVD Multi Burners, 2- 500gig SATA Hard Drives, and 1 - 750gig SATA Hard Drive

Everything original (FIC P4 865PE Dynasty, 3GB Socket 478 CPU, and 3 gigs DDR 333 PC2700 RAM, and ATI All in Wonder X800XL AGP video card) is about 4 years old (not the all in wonder - 1 to 2 years old), and is starting to act like it's about to fall apart and/or crash so again this will be a Serious Boost of performance!

EDIT: Oh yeah; forgot to mention the 680w 'Iceberg' power supply from Apevia powering it all ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 06:43:33 AM by RVR II »

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2008, 02:25:44 PM »
I hate to tell you this now, but if you waited till Monday or Tuesday you could have got  this processor. Nice upgrade though.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2008, 02:31:58 PM »
Well, that computer shown at the beginning of this thread (and above also) ,is about to get a Serious Hardware Upgrade this weekend:

They are as follows:

along with 2 SATA Lite-On DVD Multi Burners, 2- 500gig SATA Hard Drives, and 1 - 750gig SATA Hard Drive

Everything original (FIC P4 865PE Dynasty, 3GB Socket 478 CPU, and 3 gigs DDR 333 PC2700 RAM, and ATI All in Wonder X800XL AGP video card) is about 4 years old (not the all in wonder - 1 to 2 years old), and is starting to act like it's about to fall apart and/or crash so again this will be a Serious Boost of performance!

Looks like a nice set of upgrades!

I prefer Zalman for cooling, myself. Not long ago I bought a Thermaltake CPU cooler (a cheap one, anyway), and it has already started to make some serious noise, so it's off to Fry's Electronics this weekend to purchase the Granddaddy of all Zalman Coolers: the CNPS9700 LED!!!

I recently bought an Antec P180B case, and I'll post pictures once I install the new CPU cooler.

My new Power Supply is the Thermaltake W010 Pure Power 500W, and it's NICE!!! All the power cords are separated into groups and wrapped in black sleeving that just looks sweet.

So there will be some pics posted here this weekend.

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2008, 03:06:03 PM »
Running Windows XP Media Center Edition, 1 gb of ram, 1 250 gig hard drive, with a 500 gig external hard drive.

Just reformatted the hard drive after 1 year of use, and it is working like a dream. I won't upgrade to Vista until 2010.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2008, 03:23:54 PM »

They are as follows:

Looks like a nice set of upgrades!

I prefer Zalman for cooling, myself. Not long ago I bought a Thermaltake CPU cooler (a cheap one, anyway), and it has already started to make some serious noise, so it's off to Fry's Electronics this weekend to purchase the Granddaddy of all Zalman Coolers: the CNPS9700 LED!!!

I recently bought an Antec P180B case, and I'll post pictures once I install the new CPU cooler.

My new Power Supply is the Thermaltake W010 Pure Power 500W, and it's NICE!!! All the power cords are separated into groups and wrapped in black sleeving that just looks sweet.

So there will be some pics posted here this weekend.
That Zalman was in my Top 5 list! That is a Sweet CPU Fan as well!
The ThermalTake V1, I thought would add a bit more flare to the clear acrylic case ;D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 03:27:35 PM by RVR II »

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2008, 03:25:15 PM »
I hate to tell you this now, but if you waited till Monday or Tuesday you could have got  this processor. Nice upgrade though.

Dammit! *sniff* :'(

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2008, 04:12:35 PM »
Don't feel too bad, I paid $460 for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ less than 2 years ago and thought i was getting a good deal.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2008, 04:15:13 PM »
Don't feel too bad, I paid $460 for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ less than 2 years ago and thought i was getting a good deal.
*sigh* Well, I look at like this: At least we didn't spend a fortune for a MAC (or did you? :scared: )