Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 288246 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2529
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2730 on: January 15, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »
I would also guess there's a problem with the hard drive.  Can you boot windows into safe mode?  I forget what key to press for windows 7 to get that option so you'll have to google it, but you would press that key as soon as the HP logo goes away and before the windows logo shows up.

When you boot from the windows DVD can you access the hard drive?  It might be OK but some critical boot files have been corrupted. 

Other thing it could be would be the graphics card, and on a laptop that's a killer, booting from the DVD usually only runs the card in VGA mode, it could be crashing when it tries to go to higher resolution.  But running in VGA but nothing higher is pretty rare.

Offline CJones

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 646
  • 5000 deaths and counting
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2731 on: January 16, 2019, 02:54:35 PM »
Before taking the hard dive out, I suggest you boot using the DVD and then run Scandisk on the HD (go to Run and type scandisk), pick thorough. This will take awhile so go get a sandwich or something.

If that passes, then your OS is probably corrupted. Boot from the DVD again, immediately hold down F8, and pick "Repair".