login

Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 322917 times)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2730 on: January 15, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »
I would also guess there's a problem with the hard drive.  Can you boot windows into safe mode?  I forget what key to press for windows 7 to get that option so you'll have to google it, but you would press that key as soon as the HP logo goes away and before the windows logo shows up.

When you boot from the windows DVD can you access the hard drive?  It might be OK but some critical boot files have been corrupted. 

Other thing it could be would be the graphics card, and on a laptop that's a killer, booting from the DVD usually only runs the card in VGA mode, it could be crashing when it tries to go to higher resolution.  But running in VGA but nothing higher is pretty rare.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 912
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #2731 on: January 16, 2019, 02:54:35 PM »
Before taking the hard dive out, I suggest you boot using the DVD and then run Scandisk on the HD (go to Run and type scandisk), pick thorough. This will take awhile so go get a sandwich or something.

If that passes, then your OS is probably corrupted. Boot from the DVD again, immediately hold down F8, and pick "Repair".

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4418
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2732 on: May 02, 2019, 09:47:08 AM »
Just received this message on my computer..
Support for Windows 7 is nearing the end

After 10 years, support for Windows 7 is coming to an end on January 14, 2020. We know change can be difficult, so we are here to help you with recommendations for what to do next and to answer questions about end of support.
:angry:

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 912
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #2733 on: May 02, 2019, 11:40:53 AM »

After 10 years, support for Windows 7 is coming to an end on January 14, 2020. We know change can be difficult, so we are here to help you with recommendations for what to do next and to answer questions about end of support.

Windows 7 was the most stable OS I've used since... actually I can't remember. XP was pretty good I guess, but I only ever used that for work. I can count on half of one hand how many times W7 crashed or locked up. With Windows 10, this happens regularly. Usually it will un-deadlock itself after 45-60 seconds. But why does it lock up in the first place? It's the exact same hardware, just with a different OS.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2734 on: May 03, 2019, 03:17:39 AM »

Windows 7 was the most stable OS I've used since... actually I can't remember. XP was pretty good I guess, but I only ever used that for work. I can count on half of one hand how many times W7 crashed or locked up. With Windows 10, this happens regularly. Usually it will un-deadlock itself after 45-60 seconds. But why does it lock up in the first place? It's the exact same hardware, just with a different OS.
I felt the same way about XP. All my other computers have 10 on them and it's OK but still not a big fan of it..
I have a new video editing computer with 10 on it I'll probably have to transfer all my files and contacts to eventually  :-\

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2735 on: December 17, 2019, 06:47:05 AM »
 Noticed some funny sounds coming from my PC when the CPU was under load, and the temps were starting to climb a little.  Removed the Corsair H60 liquid cooler I installed just under 6 years ago and could hear that it was no longer completely filled with fluid.  After digging around I figured out how to remove the fill plug and I'm guessing it had lost about 1/3 of it's fluid.  What was inside looked exactly like Prestone 50/50 antifreeze so I added about a half a cup of that to refill the thing.  Now it's back to silent and working the same as before, but I kind of don't trust the seal on the plug anymore.  I'm guessing the sounds were air bubbles in the cooling loop.

So, ordered a new, larger liquid cooler, because the H60 was only slightly better than stock cooling I could never really overclock that much, now that the PC is almost 6 years old I'm going to over clock it a bit more and when I try to do that now it starts getting too hot under heavy load.  Already overclocked the memory a bit, adding 200 MHz to the memory does make the PC noticeably faster.  The overclocking tests I've done on the CPU pull an extra 50 watts or so and the H60 can only deal with that for about 10 minutes before temps get up to 100°C and the CPU throttles back.

Also considering upgrading the graphics card from a 1070 OC to a 2080 super, the 1070 is still a good card but I'm starting to need to turn down some image quality options on new games.  Only question is will the 2080 be bottlenecked by my i7 4770K even with it overclocked to 4.4GHz.  But then again, no real harm in getting the card now, there will still be a big improvement now and then I can upgrade the CPU/RAM/MB next year.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2736 on: December 20, 2019, 05:50:57 PM »
I am currently deep in windows re-installation hell....

While installing the new cooler I made a big stupid mistake, should have left well enough alone but decided to clean ALL the old thermal compound off the CPU.  So I took it out and procceded to drop it, of course it hit on the corner and split some layers of the circuit board rendering the CPU dead.

6 year old CPUs are not in stock locally and are almost the same price as what I payed for it new, and not much cheaper than new ones.

Unfortunately getting a new CPU means a new socket, so new motherboard, and now the boards use DDR4 ram so new ram. 

I decided if I was swapping out this much stuff windows was going to lose it's activation anyway so might as well replace the GPU while I was at it.

Got everything together and as expected windows 10 would no longer activate, and it was having driver issues, used to be you could put an install disk in and do a repair of windows, but not these days, if there are major issues the only choice is to reinstall windows.  So I paid the $200 bucks for Windows 10 Pro and tried reinstalling, but no go, looks like the only way to get it to install is to removed the partitions from the C: drive and start with it completely blank.  So any hope of retaining anything previously installed is gone.

But I had lots of stuff on that drive I wanted to save, so had to install a 3rd blank drive, install windows on that, and am now moving the files to other drives.

Then I will remove the temporary boot drive and do the clean install, then start the process of reinstalling all my programs and games, that is going to be so annoying.  But first I have to re-configure windows to how I like it, that will probably take a day before I even start to reinstall stuff.  I haven't worked on a fresh install of windows 10 in a few years, forgot how crappy it looks until you customize it.

So, one stupid mistake leads to $1400 bucks spend and an probably a week of annoying computer BS.

On the bright side it will be a screaming PC, Intel i7 9700K CPU that has all 8 cores running stable at 4.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2666 ram, Nvidia RTX 2070 super GPU.

Ram is crazy cheap now, 4 8GB sticks were only $110 total.

Went with the 2070 instead of the 2080 because all the reviews I read said the 2080 is at most %15 faster, so not worth the extra $200.

Looks like an hour to go transferring files and then on with the new installation...

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1694
« Reply #2737 on: December 20, 2019, 06:11:33 PM »
Liked because I feel your pain. Here’s hoping things go relatively smoothly.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2738 on: December 20, 2019, 07:02:34 PM »
Ugh! That sounds like a major mess.. :-[
The replacement computer I bought from my I T friend with Windows 10 Pro to replace my aging Windows 7 computer is still just my dedicated video editing computer and I still haven't merged them..
I know Windows 7 support is about to end next month (January, 2020) but it looks like I'll continue to use it as my main PC for some time past that. I'll just keep my Malwarebytes up to date in the meantime :-X

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2739 on: December 20, 2019, 08:16:19 PM »
Copying is almost done, took a break to make my holiday crab cakes.  I'll post about that in the food thread.

Hoping I can transfer any saved games that are not backed up on the steam or GOG clouds, think I got all the folders with those.

I think I might have lost some disks when I move, can't find the one for my old picture editing software that I love and had all my workflows set up in.  Would suck to have to find and learn a new graphics editor.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2740 on: December 20, 2019, 10:48:04 PM »
Well, I have a functioning desktop PC again, got dropbox, firefox, thunderbird, and MS office installed and my old profiles moved back into them. Yay, internet and email back to normal.  So it feels like I have made progress but there are days of installing more stuff ahead, can't even use my 3D printer until I get a bunch of programs working again.

It is screaming fast, can't wait to play some games on this thing.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2741 on: December 22, 2019, 05:48:39 PM »
This thing is too quite now, I can hear every little noise in the house....   ;D  The new video card with 3 fans is silent even when it's running a benchmark at full load, the new CPU cooler with 2 fans only makes a slight noise with the most aggressive load tests.

Spent hours going through every single box of disks I have and could not find my PaintShop Pro 9 disk, found version 8 and installed that but I think that was written for windows 98 so is a bit buggy running under 10.

Version 9 was the last one written by Jasc before they were bought out by Corel, and I really didn't like the versions right after they were bought out.  I'm trying the latest 2020 version and it's not horrible, most of the stuff I do when photo editing is there but so far I haven't found a way to customize the toolbars to make the workflow easier.  You can try the software free for 30 days so I'll keep using it and see if I get used to it or just keep using the 10+ year old version.

I had a bit of a scare thinking I had lost all the Cura profiles for my 3D printer (Cura is the program I used to take a 3D model and slice it so the printer can print it), but they were just in a different area than I thought they were, so I have all that software back up and running without having to start over.  It was a pain in the ass to get Cura set up for my printer so it was a huge relief to find those profiles.

Nice that my internet speed was bumped up a month or 2 ago, I've had to download at least 70GB of programs and games in the last day.  Makes me think back to when a 56K modem was blazing fast, I'm guessing I've spent maybe half an hour downloading stuff, a quick conversion tells me it would have taken 121 days to download that much back in the late 90s.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2742 on: December 23, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »
This new install of windows is slightly different than my old one, even though the old one was fully updated there seem to be some new apps on this version.  I've already uninstalled a bunch of them, then a new wifi sharing thing installed on it's own, stupid since there is no wifi on this PC, so had to uninstall that thing...

Finally figured out how to customize the toolbars in paintshop pro 2020, was trying to follow the tutorials but never got the menus they were saying should come up, turns out I was in the wrong workspace, why would you have one workspace where you can remove icons from toolbars but not add any, and one workspace where you can add and delete?   I've edited a few images and can do stuff about the same as I was before, and no random crashes like version 8 has due to running in compatibility mode, so I guess I'll end up buying it when the 30 day trial is done.

So, just about back to the way things were before my stupid dropped CPU mistake Wednesday night, all my internet stuff is back, CAD and 3D printing is back, games are back, photo and video editing is back. 

Ordered two 3TB drives, one will replace my 2T E: drive, and one will be for backups of my 1TB SSD C: and 2TB D: drives.  Was going to get 4TB ones but went with NAS drives since the one will be plugged and unplugged from the drive slot on my case when doing backups, NAS drives are supposed to handle vibration better.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2743 on: December 26, 2019, 05:57:53 PM »
I can see how overclocking can become addictive, like tower defense games, there is no reason to go back and try 50 different combinations but it's so compelling to try them for fun....  I have no reason to push this CPU any more but keep wanting to go back and play with the bios settings more...

I did find a nice option on this bios that lets me leave the boost clocks high and not worry about overheating, if I boost all the cores and run a stress test I can get the CPU up to about 275 watts, and my cooler can not deal with that much heat.  But I can set a max wattage in the bios, so setting that to 220W lets the CPU run real fast on up to half the cores in use and then if some app starts using more it will throttle down to stay under that wattage and my cooler can keep things below 90°C.  So this CPU will run perfectly stable at 5GHz, and I can set all cores to that and let the wattage limiter deal with too much load.

Looks like Amazon lost my package with the hard drives, I'll give them one more day before requesting a refund, funny thing is I ordered those particular drives because it said they could be delivered faster, the other drives I was looking at were a couple dollars cheaper and probably would have been here today...

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2744 on: December 28, 2019, 02:52:48 PM »
Redid my cooling again, I had tried putting the radiator where it is in the picture below but with the fans on the other side of the metal frame of the case, this work OK but there were some small gaps that were preventing max air flow through the radiator.  So I mounted the fans to the radiator directly the way you are supposed to and put it back in, the does block the ram slots somewhat, so I could re-seat the ram if I ever need to but taking ram in and out might require removing a fan.  This case doesn't have any other place to put a 240mm radiator. 

I cleared out a ton of old install files and other old stuff I haven't used in 10 years so I might not get new hard drives now, so kind of glad those drives got lost by Amazon.

After a week I'm finally done messing with this thing, got some slight overclocking going on the CPU/GPU/memory, all the software I routinely use is installed.