Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 293152 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1461
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2715 on: December 24, 2018, 10:40:01 PM »
I have always built with Intel CPUs so can't comment on the AMD chipset.

Can you spring for a 1070 card instead of the 1050? 

No SSD?  I guess it depends on what you play but load times are so much better off an SSD.
with is $1450, without $1090, all about penny-pinching.

That can't be just the difference for the SSD, I have a 1TB Samsung SSD and it was less than $200 over a year ago, I see them now for around $150.  I have a couple 2 TB spinning disks as D and E (I think those were only $60 each several years ago).

I put the OS and the games that do a lot of disk access on the SSD, everything else on D and E.  It's a bit of work to set up but you can tell windows 10 to use the D drive for all your user account files (my docs, pictures, music, etc.).

I see you have added an SSD now. Good choice. It’s the biggest performance boost you’ll see for the least amount of money.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2563
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2716 on: December 27, 2018, 03:05:49 PM »
Upgraded my 10 year old monitor to this beast:

Was looking to get an IPS but way too expensive at this size and resolution, this is VA so better than the old TN I had.  I was worried that 4K at this size would make the icons way too small so went with 2K (1440p).  It has taken a few hours of messing with the settings to get the color good, still getting used to the curve.  Supposidly the curve will reduce eye strain on a large monitor, because you sit close your eye does refocus a little when you look to the sides of a flat screen, the curve is supposed to reduce that. 

Man is it immersive playing Subnautica on this thing.

It's by AOC AG322QWG4 but from what I've read it's a Samsung panel.  It's got a very nice stand, heavy and stable.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2717 on: December 28, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
Hard to get used to not having to run certain programs full screen anymore, also the new monitor was blocking my view of the window so had to do some rearranging:

Still have to redo my cable management behind the "desk".  I'd love to replace that thing but after many years of looking I haven't found anything that is a similar shape and size that would do a better job (or the same job just looking better).

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3730
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2718 on: December 30, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »
Finally got my new 'beast' computer from my I T friend that I tried to buy it from earlier this year but didn't have the funds on hand at that time..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rTsVcsMoBRA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rTsVcsMoBRA</a>
Specs:
ASRock B150M Pro4V Motherboard
i7-6700 processor
32GB DDR4-400 RAM
Nvidia GTX 660TI 2GB video card
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Antec Case.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 04:11:59 PM by RVR II »

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 244
« Reply #2719 on: December 31, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »
Finally got my new 'beast' computer from my I T friend that I tried to buy it from earlier this year but didn't have the funds on hand at that time..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rTsVcsMoBRA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rTsVcsMoBRA</a>
Specs:
i7-6700 processor
32GB DDR4-400 RAM
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Antec Case.
What did it replace?
In the past I've always built my own desktops. At the point where mine is old enough I'd consider building...except I got a new laptop a few months ago and it's so much faster than the laptop it replaced (and my old desktop) that I just don't feel the need for a new desktop.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2720 on: December 31, 2018, 04:53:15 PM »
Specs:
i7-6700 processor
32GB DDR4-400 RAM
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Antec Case.

Had to turn off the video, what ever was scraping the microphone was very loud on my speakers.

From what I saw and looking at the specs $600 is about the right price for that setup, it's got a good CPU and ram, didn't look up the motherboard.  The graphics card is pretty old, running for about $50 refurbished, but for video editing you don't need the latest GPU.  That SSD was probably crazy expensive when new but it's so small now, but again for video editing CPU and RAM are the important things, even a super fast CPU can't encode fast enough to have the hard drive be the limiting factor.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2721 on: December 31, 2018, 04:55:52 PM »
Specs:
i7-6700 processor
32GB DDR4-400 RAM
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Antec Case.
What did it replace?
In the past I've always built my own desktops. At the point where mine is old enough I'd consider building...except I got a new laptop a few months ago and it's so much faster than the laptop it replaced (and my old desktop) that I just don't feel the need for a new desktop.
My main desktop computer.
It hasn't 'officially' replaced it as of yet but it will soon once I get everything loaded onto it.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2722 on: December 31, 2018, 04:59:21 PM »
Specs:
i7-6700 processor
32GB DDR4-400 RAM
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Antec Case.

Had to turn off the video, what ever was scraping the microphone was very loud on my speakers.

From what I saw and looking at the specs $600 is about the right price for that setup, it's got a good CPU and ram, didn't look up the motherboard.  The graphics card is pretty old, running for about $50 refurbished, but for video editing you don't need the latest GPU.  That SSD was probably crazy expensive when new but it's so small now, but again for video editing CPU and RAM are the important things, even a super fast CPU can't encode fast enough to have the hard drive be the limiting factor.
Yeah these GoPro mics are super sensitive to any sound and that was my hand moving on the mount.

It's much faster than what I got now and should last me for several years 

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2723 on: December 31, 2018, 05:05:48 PM »
I added a couple 120mm purple LED fans to the front behind the grill that look pretty cool (made a video of that as well but it has the same mic issues) and I'll replace the stock Antec fans with purple LED fans as well to give it a bit more 'flare' 8)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EZb7yXsntlk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EZb7yXsntlk</a>

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1461
« Reply #2724 on: December 31, 2018, 05:16:41 PM »
Sweet fans.  My case came decked out with led fans, but I had to replace them all with plain light-less fans because my tower is right at the foot of my bed and would keep my ex up at night with the light.  Not such a big deal now with the divorce, but what is done is done.  My motherboard still shines all pretty.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2725 on: December 31, 2018, 05:17:03 PM »
Yeah these GoPro mics are super sensitive to any sound and that was my hand moving on the mount.

That was just your hand on the camera?  I think it is making my sub woofer thump, that's why it's so loud.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2726 on: December 31, 2018, 06:18:21 PM »

That was just your hand on the camera?  I think it is making my sub woofer thump, that's why it's so loud.
I would just turn the volume way down for my videos then :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2727 on: December 31, 2018, 06:20:00 PM »
Sweet fans.  My case came decked out with led fans, but I had to replace them all with plain light-less fans because my tower is right at the foot of my bed and would keep my ex up at night with the light.  Not such a big deal now with the divorce, but what is done is done.  My motherboard still shines all pretty.
Thanks!
Mine's in my dining room and I leave it on all night but shut it off when I go to work 8)

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 361
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #2728 on: January 15, 2019, 03:43:18 PM »
Can anyone help me figure this out?  I'm trying to fix my friend Linda's laptop. 

It's an HP ProBook 4540s.  When you power it on, the HP logo comes up, and you have a second to hit ESC for the boot options.  But then it instantly reboots.

However, if you boot to a Windows DVD, it boots to that.  Then if you cancel without doing anything, it reboots and goes into Windows.

I thought this was the memory, but I replaced that and it was still doing the same thing.  I'm going to see what happens if I put a different hard drive in.

It's running Windows 7 32 bit.

Any ideas?
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2729 on: January 15, 2019, 04:03:20 PM »
Yeah sounds like something's going on with the hard drive..
I'd replace it with a SSD myself if that's possible.. :-\