Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 228517 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2595 on: August 27, 2017, 09:09:04 AM »
It's crazy how small SSDs are now.  This thing is wicked fast, with a decent capacity (500GB) and it's smaller than my pointer finger.  Points to whoever can find it hiding in my case.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's the SSD ???
It looks more like a stick of RAM instead of the conventional SSDs I have in my system..

I know!  It's the new(ish) M.2 shape and connection.  Was originally designed with laptops in mind, but it just so happens to be a hell of a lot faster than SATA so they include a slot on newer motherboards. 

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2596 on: August 27, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
Oh Yeah!! That's sweeet! :o

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2597 on: August 27, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
I've seen those little drives when people ask me to replace broken screens on their small mac laptops.  But I think that one is a little smaller.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #2598 on: August 27, 2017, 04:12:47 PM »
It's crazy how small SSDs are now.  This thing is wicked fast, with a decent capacity (500GB) and it's smaller than my pointer finger.  Points to whoever can find it hiding in my case.

That's the SSD ???
It looks more like a stick of RAM instead of the conventional SSDs I have in my system..

I know!  It's the new(ish) M.2 shape and connection.  Was originally designed with laptops in mind, but it just so happens to be a hell of a lot faster than SATA so they include a slot on newer motherboards. 

The Best thing about those kind of SSDs is that it uses the PCI-E Slot, which is a far better input than a traditional SATA port, as there is no data bottleneck.  I put one of those in my current build, and i haven't looked back.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2599 on: August 27, 2017, 04:29:47 PM »
Noted for future builds  8)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2600 on: August 27, 2017, 07:18:19 PM »

Just make sure that whatever form of M.2 you get is NVMe and not just SATA, and that your motherboard can support NVMe and boot from it.  NVMe maxes at 32 GB/s, where SATA is just 6 GB/s. 

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2601 on: August 27, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »

Just make sure that whatever form of M.2 you get is NVMe and not just SATA, and that your motherboard can support NVMe and boot from it.  NVMe maxes at 32 GB/s, where SATA is just 6 GB/s.
Ok cool :o
Thanks!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2602 on: September 03, 2017, 09:41:26 PM »
Installed a new cooler on my GPU.  Keeps it quiet and cool.  The fans at 100% aren't half as loud as the stock cooler at 55%, and the new heat sink doesn't go much above 60% during stress testing, never going above 73 C.  Could probably keep it even cooler with a more aggressive fan profile, but I don't see the need.  The instructions weren't as bad as the reviews made them out to be.  You just have to use your judgement when sticking on the thermal pads.  Definitely not as straight forwards as installing a CPU cooler, but not as intimidating as I had made it out to be.

I was able to overclock my GPU quite a bit more thanks to the cooler.  I downloaded a custom BIOS for the GPU that let me push the power and voltage a little further, and I got up to a 1450 MHz core clock.  Boosted my score in 3DMark's Time Spy by 325 compared to my stock cooler overclock.  My new build all together has boosted my Time Spy score by 900, up to 6503.  Oh, and the new cooler got rid of the green GEFORCE LED logo on my GPU, so now I'm free to go with a nice steel blue color for the rest of the motherboard LEDs without them clashing.

Images spoilered for size
Oh, and I got my drives all set up properly.  Named my computer SoL.  See if you can pick up on the theme...

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:46:41 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #2603 on: September 18, 2017, 06:30:38 AM »
I'm starting to hit a space crunch on my 1 Terabyte drive.  When this happened in the past with 320 Gb and 500 Gb drives, I would throw them away and get a bigger drive.  I'm tired of doing that.  It just seems so wasteful.  So much space just GONE.

I have 2 hard drives in my computer.  I can't remember how big the C: drive is.  It might be one of those 320 or 500 Gb drives re-purposed.  The 1 Tb drive is the secondary drive, mapped as the E: drive.  It houses all the media files.  So there is a lot of space taken up with Rifftrax ISOs and MP3 files. 

I have 2 problems:

1: I don't think my motherboard has the connections for more than 2 hard drives.  Or it might be the power supply doesn't have connections for more than those two drives plus the DVD drive.  It's been a while since I looked in there.
2: I don't want to split my Rifftrax projects across 2 different drives anyway.

So what I would like is to be able to take two (or more) physical drives, and map them both to the same logical E: drive.  I have heard this is possible with a RAID array, but I am confused how this works.  What do I need?  Where do the extra drives go?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2604 on: September 18, 2017, 06:57:05 AM »
To use RAID your motherboard has to support it.  To configure 2 drives as one drive letter you would use RAID 0, it's not used much because there is no fault tolerance, a fault on one drive takes out the data on both.

You can get 2TB drives for around $60 these days.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2605 on: September 18, 2017, 07:08:57 AM »
I'v got 2TB, 4TB, 6TB, & 8TB Western Digital Purple Label hard drives currently to store all my ripped movies and TV shows from back in the day..
Waiting on a 10TB hard drive to combine a couple of the smaller TB hard drives ;D

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #2606 on: September 18, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »
To use RAID your motherboard has to support it.  To configure 2 drives as one drive letter you would use RAID 0, it's not used much because there is no fault tolerance, a fault on one drive takes out the data on both.

Sometimes you can mimic the motherboard capabilities with an add on PCI card (or whatever the slot is named these days).  I think I saw some of those on Newegg.

I'm hesitant to get the 2 Tb drive because I'd be throwing away a perfectly good 1 Tb drive.  Plus 2 Tb drive is only going to be a 1 Tb expansion.  Maybe I should go home and do some math.  Calculate the total size of existing Rifftrax ISOs, look at the number of releases in 2016 as an estimate of what comes out in the average year, then figure out how many years I get per Terabyte.  Possibly make a bigger leap than just 1 to 2 Tb.

So you're saying that if I set up Raid 0 with 2 drives @ 1 Tb each,  (name them "Kevin" and "Bill").... then if Kevin dies Bill goes with it?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2607 on: September 18, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »

Sometimes you can mimic the motherboard capabilities with an add on PCI card (or whatever the slot is named these days).  I think I saw some of those on Newegg.

I'm hesitant to get the 2 Tb drive because I'd be throwing away a perfectly good 1 Tb drive.  Plus 2 Tb drive is only going to be a 1 Tb expansion.  Maybe I should go home and do some math.  Calculate the total size of existing Rifftrax ISOs, look at the number of releases in 2016 as an estimate of what comes out in the average year, then figure out how many years I get per Terabyte.  Possibly make a bigger leap than just 1 to 2 Tb.

So you're saying that if I set up Raid 0 with 2 drives @ 1 Tb each,  (name them "Kevin" and "Bill").... then if Kevin dies Bill goes with it?

Yes, in a RAID 0 configuration the data is spread out over all drives with no backups, so if one drive goes down you loose all data.  RAID 0 is only used when you really want high performance and are willing to take the risk, 4 drives will give you 4X the performance of a single drive.  Even on a single drive setup files are split up into small chunks and placed on the drive, and not always in the same area on the drive (fragmentation), when RAID 0 is used those file chunks are spread out over all the drives, so the loss of one drive means chunks of every file stored are lost.

I guess you can still get RAID controller cards, haven't seen them in years since most modern motherboards support it.

For movie downloads external USB 3.0 drives are plenty fast enough (USB 3 PCI cards are still around if your system only has USB 2), so that's an option if your system can't accommodate another internal drive.  It's pretty easy to get used to storing stuff on multiple drives, so if you have room for another internal drive just add one as the next letter in the alphabet.

You should have an external backup anyway, don't want to have to download everything again.  My current PC case has a docking port for bare drives, I just stick a drive in once in a while and add anything new I've downloaded.

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #2608 on: September 18, 2017, 10:34:56 AM »
I had external backups once upon a time.  I used Carbonite.  It came in handy when I did in fact have a sudden hard drive failure.  I remember that it took a HUGE amount of time to recover.  I think I let the subscription lapse a year or two ago when money was tight, but maybe I should go back.  Or maybe do Dropbox this time.

I have very little faith in external hard drives or enclosures.  At one job I used to work, we used them to store the ghost images for configuring new computers.  One of these drives would fail virtually every month.

I'm leaning toward dropping $100 on a 4 Tb hard drive.

Online RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2609 on: September 18, 2017, 10:38:32 AM »
I'm leaning toward dropping $100 on a 4 Tb hard drive.
It's worth it but for a couple dozen dollars more you could get a 6TB :o