login

Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment  (Read 264963 times)

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 297
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
Re: What are you reading at the moment
« Reply #2325 on: May 09, 2018, 03:06:41 PM »
I'm not big on books like at all. Not unless they have been written by somebody I really like or am otherwise fascinated by in some other way. So when I heard Kari Byron was releasing a book I just had to have it. I've always had a crush on her since I first saw her on Mythbusters so I was dying to see her thoughts on various things. Because it hurts to read I can at least just take in just a few pages at a time rather than just read a whole chapter at a time. From what little I have read so far, I highly recommend Kari Byron's book Crash test girl.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:08:17 PM by Russoguru »

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 180
« Reply #2326 on: May 16, 2018, 05:29:27 PM »
Finished Earth Abides and really liked it. Virus wipes out much of humanity and about the survivors. Not nearly as dated as something written in 1949 should have been.

Was recommended Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Made it 4 pages in and had to stop. One of the things you have to deal with when reading scifi is made up words (or words you know with things like "space" added to them). I'm OK with that when they are few and far between or when you can easily guess the meaning that the author is trying to convey. I think every sentence on those first 4 pages had a made up word. Maybe if I continued, those words would have been defined or become more clear, but if I'm clueless about what's going on that early it's generally not the type of scifi I find entertaining.

Started Pandora's Star by Peter Hamilton. 1/4 of the way through and liking it.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #2327 on: July 25, 2018, 07:51:06 PM »
Loved Pandora's Star. Then read the sequel. Pandora's Star was actually the second book in the series, but put off reading that one and started the 4th book in the series which takes place a couple of thousand years after the third. Not liking it as much as the other 2, but giving it a chance.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4544
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2328 on: July 26, 2018, 09:23:38 AM »
Almost done Bridge of Birds.  Really fun Chinese-style comedic adventure fairy tale.  Got it for a secret santa gift and it is well worth checking out.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 65
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #2329 on: August 04, 2018, 06:03:15 PM »
The Clan of the Cave Bear
by Jean M. Auel

This was an interesting look at a tribe of Neanderthal and a more modern human ancestor seen through the eyes of a young girl who becomes lost after an earthquake separates her from her family.  After narrowly escaping a run in with a cave lion she is adopted and nursed back to health by the medicine woman of a clan who are very different in appearance from her.  Eventually she is accepted by the tribe and even trained as a medicine woman.  However she learns to hunt with a sling which is completely forbidden by clan custom.  There's a lot of challenging the patriarchy subtext here that is really cool and inspiring to read.  Ayla's journey from child to woman with a son of her own is an interesting progression that's actually quite inspiring.  I'm looking forward to reading more of this series.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 354
« Reply #2330 on: August 20, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
The 25 years between books was the #1 reason I try and wait for a series to be finished before starting them.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2331 on: August 20, 2018, 01:20:30 PM »
Reading Guards, Guards, my first solo Terry Pratchett book.

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2332 on: August 20, 2018, 06:48:02 PM »
A few days ago I got a book at Barnes and Noble for a really good price. It's called Code of the Samurai - Bushido: The Soul of Japan.
It was originally published in 1900 and written by Inazo Nitobe. I've always been fascinated with Japanese culture, especially their code of honor. I got the book hoping to maybe discover something about myself or some perspective on the world or my life that I had not yet considered.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #2333 on: August 27, 2018, 05:45:42 PM »
Loved Pandora's Star. Then read the sequel. Pandora's Star was actually the second book in the series, but put off reading that one and started the 4th book in the series which takes place a couple of thousand years after the third. Not liking it as much as the other 2, but giving it a chance.

Finsished the 4th and 5th book in the series and half way through the 6th. Books 2 & 3 were sci-fi (again, I skipped book 1) where as books 4, 5, and 6 kind of tell 2 different stories- 1 story line is sci-fi while the other storyline is more fantasy. Generally don't enjoy fantasy, but have liked both storylines enough to continue reading despite not liking 4, 5, and 6 as much as I liked books 2 & 3.

Offline robbie22

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2334 on: August 31, 2018, 03:21:34 AM »
good one ..

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3521
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2335 on: August 31, 2018, 04:00:13 AM »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2336 on: September 11, 2018, 09:14:19 AM »
Clearly he thought

have liked both storylines enough to continue reading despite not liking 4, 5, and 6 as much as I liked books 2 & 3.

Was a real zinger.

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 65
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #2337 on: September 19, 2018, 01:56:32 PM »
Persuader
by Lee Child

The seventh book in the Jack Reacher series is also the first told from the first person perspective.  Lee Child's descriptive writing gives us a look at the protagonist's analytical mind.  Further insight on how he thinks and what drives him.  There a few references to previous books and characters but nothing that would stop anyone from enjoying this on it's own.  Right away the reader is hooked as Reacher is thrown into a situation where the readers wants to know how he got there and how he's going to get himself out of it.  We also get flashbacks that build up throughout the book and connect to the stories villain which eventually reveal why Reacher is doing exactly what he's doing.  Fasted-paced action with an interesting plot.  I've already started the eight book in the series.
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Russoguru

« Reply #2338 on: September 20, 2018, 08:13:44 PM »
I know this is a little OT, but there's one book I WISH I could be reading right now, and it's "Don't Stop Believing" by Olivia Newton John. It's her first(AFAIK) autobiography. I really want to get it but as I understand it's a little difficult to get a hold of. I saw it available through Amazon.com third party sellers for $50+ bucks but I really don't want to pay that much for a book that is probably coming from overseas. Anyway even though I don't like e-books, this is the first time I've ever wanted a book to be released on Kindle but... not sure that's going to happen.  :(

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 246
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #2339 on: September 21, 2018, 09:00:25 AM »
Here’s one for $30 (free shipping) that ships domestically;
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30047236737&searchurl=tn%3DDon%2592t%2BStop%26sortby%3D17%26an%3DOlivia%2BNewton%2BJohn

eBay also has some for $30 with free shipping, but it’s coming from Australia... just like her. :)